forum

[added] o!m Mirror Mod

posted
Total Posts

Should we add a mirror mod for osu!mania ?

Yes
97.79%
No
2.21%
Total votes: 679
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,317
Topic Starter
Feraligatr

Proposal

Add a mirror mod in the game while also making any plays with mirror mod (if added) to be counted as a ranked score.

Why mirror ?
Flipping the map horizontally allows players to bypass any hand bias within the map. Standard already implemented a similar concept with the Hard Rock mod, so technically it can be applied to mania as well. Along with standard having Hard Rock, mania already has a similar mod, Random, which shuffles the notes each time when you play, but Random is unrankable due to the possibility of the predicted difficulty to be... well, random thus having an inconsistent difficulty. Mirroring is essentially Random, but a consistent one, thus the difficulty is also consistent.

Wouldn't this affect a chart's quality (especially in terms of Pitch Relevance) ?
Not at all. Most maps do pitch with the first column being the lowest pitch while the last column being the higher pitch. If we were to mirror it, the first column would be the highest pitch while the last column would be the lowest pitch, so chart quality isn't affected at all due to the map still being relative to the pitch of the song.
In general, mirroring a map shouldn't affect a chart's quality whatsoever.

What would the mirror mod do ?
Simple, it mirrors the entire map horizontally.
For 4K, columns 1 and 4 are switched, and columns 2 and 3 are switched.
For 5K, column 3 would stay as is, columns 1 and 5 are switched, and columns 2 and 4 are switched.
For 6K, columns 1 and 6 are switched, columns 2 and 5 are switched, and columns 3 and 4 are switched.
For 7K, column 4 would stay as is, columns 1 and 7 are switched, columns 2 and 6 are switched, and columns 3 and 5 are switched.
(you get the gist by now)

Why would mirror mod be beneficial ?
There are ranked and/or loved maps that have a certain hand bias that favours certain players while also giving certain players a disadvantage. Though this is not necessarily noticable for players below rank 5000, it is much more noticable for players that are higher ranked. This would also be beneficial for any tournaments as well. Rather than determining a match purely on whoever's singular hand is better on this map, it grants both players an advantage which then the match is determined by purely whoever does better and not some other physical aspect. There are also certain patterns that players mindblock where it's simply unplayable to them no matter how difficult or simple the pattern may be. Players shouldn't be told to just "play better" when the map is biased against them. Thus, mirror mod shouldn't grant any bonus towards score or performance points, but it should still count as a ranked score.

Edit: I am aware of the other forum posts that requested a mirror mod before especially the one created by chaotic_iak on here. However, decided to create a new forum post primarily because 1. It has been 3 years since that topic was responded to and 2. It is more relevant nowadays especially with the shift in mapping (and you can kinda tell it's more relevant now based off of the number of replies within the first few hours alone) and 3. The old forum doesn't seem to have a clear reason as to why having a mirror mod is beneficial.

Edit 2:

Kasumii-sama wrote:

Kamikaze wrote:

this was discussed years ago with regards to how 7+1k is charted and I see this as something that should've been done YEARS ago so yes

EDIT: also it's already in lazer so why not add it to stable
EDIT 2: besides there are already ways to play with mirrored patterns that involve flipping your screen and reversing your binds so why not just make this an actual mod like every other keyboard rhythm game in existence does?

>it's already in lazer

watch as it gets denied for a bullshit reason like that by devs

Kamikaze brings up valid points and following Kasumii-sama, we have never gotten a specific eta on osu!lazer so it may be more years before the game is actually complete. You may as well apply it to Stable so that it can be used for any mania-related events until osu!lazer is released.

EDIT 3:

smoogipoo wrote:

This has now been implemented and is live in CuttingEdge. Let us know if there are any issues with it.

oh hell yea

EDIT 4: we did it bois

If there are any other addition or errors to this, please let me know so that it can be fixed on this post.
Ery
OH MY GOD YES
[GS] Ebex
this is cosmic brain. i like it
[GS]Foonul
I see this as an absolute win
Kamikaze
this was discussed years ago with regards to how 7+1k is charted and I see this as something that should've been done YEARS ago so yes

EDIT 2: besides there are already ways to play with mirrored patterns that involve flipping your screen and reversing your binds so why not just make this an actual mod like every other keyboard rhythm game in existence does?
-MysticEyes
Love the idea! I definitely support this
Tina_otoge
MIRROR is a very important feature in some other key-based rhythm games that helps player who are better with one hand than the other moving the strain of some intense parts of the map to the dominant hand.
This is considered fair and as valuable as a score made without using the MIRROR mod in those games because the columns being in right-to-left or left-to-right order isn't supposed to change difficulty at all.

I'm totally for this being added to osu! AND for it being a rankable mod that doesn't change the pp, score or difficulty of a map at all.
lemonguy
Take all of my stars
Hydria
i guess
Hououin Kyouma
make osu!mania great again
Rashod
niceee
My Angel Nilou
This is actually soo good, i totally agree with this
RoroTheDeer
Don't know why this wasn't implemented years ago, I Stan this post
AncuL
How does this topic get 1000 SP and 130 votes in just two hours
84c20de358d67
because of jakads
PikachuNick
This is a great idea, I'm sick of mindblocks.

Also, why is there still not a way to promote these without manually clicking "Promote this request" 100s of times?
Not only that, it's telling me that I'm making too many requests and gives me an error every so many times.
Fanahira
Please donate 40 stars to help the Wagg Galaxy Collapse mindblock :(
Halogen-
100% yes.
Ornamentum
ohmygod PLEASE I CAN FINALLY UNMINDBLOCK UTA
mwahh
It's about time Mirroring is finally brought up in o!m 👍
Silhoueska Elze
PLEASE BE ADDED 🙏🙏🙏
Youwhang
How can we deny this
[Crz]Crysarlene
why not from long ago
should put it since first
Kasumi-sama

Kamikaze wrote:

>it's already in lazer

watch as it gets denied for a bullshit reason like that by devs
Raveille
truly
[Crz]Noire
Finally something good!!

maybe in 10 years will have rate options lol
Proxae
lmoa
ihauntwizards
not adding mirror is class betrayal
giyokon
unrelated to mania but could we add this to taiko as well? blue notes become red, red becomes blue
Transcendence
Finally

Yes

Plz
show more