forum

[Poll] 6-Notes Ranking Criteria Rule Change

posted
Total Posts

Are you able to play the 7-Noted chords without problem?

Yes, no problem.
89.19%
No, keyboard problems.
10.81%
Total votes: 185
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Feerum
IMPORTANT NOTE: This rule change will affect only high SR beatmaps. That's why this poll is for people who are on the skill level of playing high SR 7K maps. If you are not on the skill level, please do not vote in the poll. You are however still allowed to give your feedback on this rule change here or in the Ranking Criteria thread.

===============================================================================================

Greeting everyone!

I'm here with important news. Some time ago, Evening proposed a rule change for the osu!mania Ranking Criteria. It's about the rule, that more than 6 notes at once are not allowed to be pressed. If you haven't seen the thread yet, you can read through it following this link: Click

Before we can go and push this rule, Ephemeral raised a concern that this could go against the "Free-to-Win" policy of osu!
So ppy suggested making a poll for this to see how many people would be affected of this rule change and how many are even able to play more than 6 notes at once.

I asked Blocko to create a 7K beatmap for this poll, mapping it how he would normally map something for ranked, just with extra added 7-noted chords into it to simulate as good as possible as if this rule change would be already live. At this point many thanks to Blocko for the time and the beatmap!

Now we want to see who is even able to play this beatmap and and if people have problem playing the 7-noted chords.

You can find the beatmap here: wa. - Black Lotus

We hope for a lot of participants in this poll to get as much input as possible.
M1si3k
No.
Justin14p
the more notes the more pp
DeletedUser_259972
ABSOLUTELY HOLY SHIT PLEASE YES
Alter-
yes plz k thx
Harambe
YES
Bobbias
I've argued for this since the 6 note restriction came in. Absolutely 100% yes.
Reiko
I have a 6 key restriction, HOWEVER you can go around it by playing with certain keys and still be able to press 7 keys - so I don't see a problem at all here.
Yes please.~
Zymasis39
Allow it only for the "Ultra" diffs as you said in the other thread, and add a warning on the site for such maps.
Bobbias

Reikokaz wrote:

I have a 6 key restriction, HOWEVER you can go around it by playing with certain keys and still be able to press 7 keys - so I don't see a problem at all here.
Yes please.~

You're confusing 2 different problems here. USB keyboards are not supposed to be able to send more than 6 keys at once in a message to your computer, which is where this rule originated.

If the problem is what combination of keys you have to hit to make it work, it's because of the specific way your keyboard was wired, not the USB limitation.

I had a laptop where I couldn't hold J K and L at once (just by themselves it wouldn't work). All I had to do was switch to K L and ; and it was fine. That is a completely different problem from whether or not you can hit 7 keys on your keyboard.

If your keyboard can send 7 keys at once with any combination of keys, then it does not have that USB restriction affecting it.
DeletedUser_259972

Bobbias wrote:

Reikokaz wrote:

Yes please.~

You're confusing 2 different problems here. USB keyboards are not supposed to be able to send more than 6 keys at once in a message to your computer, which is where this rule originated.

If the problem is what combination of keys you have to hit to make it work, it's because of the specific way your keyboard was wired, not the USB limitation.

I had a laptop where I couldn't hold J K and L at once (just by themselves it wouldn't work). All I had to do was switch to K L and ; and it was fine. That is a completely different problem from whether or not you can hit 7 keys on your keyboard.

If your keyboard can send 7 keys at once with any combination of keys, then it does not have that USB restriction affecting it.

with most keybinds, this is true. but by including other special keys that don't output a dedicated letter, most commonly both shift keys, it is actually able to send out 7+ keys at once.
but alternatively you can get a keyboard that supports one, and you'll need one as you progress to higher skill levels

so hyped for more Ultra diff ranked maps, we lack those!
(and hopefully the inflation doesn't get out of hand)
Bobbias
I was simplifying by ignoring the special keys. I've still had cases where regular non NKRO USB keyboards for whatever reason seem to be able to bypass the 6 key limit without the weird hacks you often see higher end keyboard manufacturers using though.

Shift, Control, and Alt are the 3 major control keys. Your keyboard sends their state separate from regular key status, and can handle any combination of those 3 correctly.
Noch Einen
Yes for emphasising sound & gameplay feeling (even cheap kb less than $10 can press 7 key at once)
Garalulu
It's time
MapleSyrup-
Yes, please. Full LN ranked map soon^tm
Jinjin
oh yes please
abraker
onto the 7+ key bandwagon
lenpai
about time yes
AKlevenseven
jack please
-Melon
yes yes yes
LostCool
*SINCE 2014*
Arzenvald
oh vote result is out *slowpoke*
Topic Starter
Feerum
Thanks everyone who participated in the voting. We will very soon continue further on this.
The result shows that most of people seem to not have problems playing these 7-Noted chords.

I will post any further updates for this in the actual RC thread.