forum

How should I go about buying a tablet?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cig
Problem details: Nothing technical, however I'm a returning player on osu with only casual experience. Osu has turned into my main game, and was thinking of taking it there seeing as how it's been going so far. I thought over buying a tablet since day 1, but after some moments of thinking, I've decided to save it until I reach sub 100k with just a mouse to get a general feel for the game and doubt over being 100% dedicated to the game. And so:

1. Would it be worth waiting to make that transition?
2. If, and when I get a tablet, what would be great within a $50 range?
3. What're key differences between tablet & mouse play?

Also: 4. Should I consider getting a keypad?
Full Tablet
1) It depends entirely whether or not you prefer using a tablet or a mouse. Many people buy a tablet just for osu!, others for drawing. I don't even have a mouse connected to my PC (I use a tablet exclusively).

2) A Huion 420 is quite decent and cheap, there are some tablets that are similar but that I haven't tried them. Wacom Intuos tablets (CTL-4XXX models) are more expensive, have more input lag, but they are more durable and don't use batteries.

3) The hand movements are quite different, so you will need to re-learn muscle memory.

A tablet is an absolute positioning input device instead of a relative positioning device. Each position of the pen tip on the tablet surface places the cursor in a certain spot on the screen. With a mouse, you move your mouse to control the velocity of the cursor on the screen.

4) If don't want to buy a high quality full keyboard, you can buy a high quality keypad instead.
OSUBlueBlue
1. If you are feeling SUPER COMFORTABLE playing with a mouse, I'd advise you to become a mouse player. Sure, it takes slightly longer, and your sensitivity has to be super high, but you will also get more fame, and it's more cheap.
However, if you are feeling like you can't play mouse anymore, then it's time to get a tablet. One of the cheapest (yet best) options is probably the Wacom CTL-490 (Intous Draw) as it is cheap (for only £39 or something).

2. I don't know.

3. There aren't much. Firstly, you shake A LOT, very distinguishable with skins like M-NS, Default, my own personal skin and Cookiezi's skin. Secondly, there are different hand co-ordinations, and finally, tablets use absolute positioning instead of relative positioning, howerver, there are driver settings on some tablets to make it relative and it acts like a mouse.
Also optical mouse gives you good enough DPI to play any 7-10* NP.

4. If you are left-handed (like me), I'd advise getting a keypad, or using , and . to tap. It is very painful tapping with the 1 and 2 keys on my number pad. So, if you have the cash to spend, go do it.

4.1. If you think 'Hey, getting a mechanical keyboard will improve my osu! skills by a lot!' DON'T DO IT. Mechanical keyboards aren't such 'a waste of money' but pointless unless you have difficulty sledgehammering (but you won't need to do that until you can beat some 8* maps, and by then you'll be playing Relax). If you are a Mania player, go ahead. It's basically the tablet of osu!mania. So stick with a membrane keyboard for now. I play with one and I do fine. Somehow they are better that flat laptop ones. So if you want less delayed, more clicky and comfortable keys, mechanical is the way to go. But the change is so subtle, you won't notice.

Final Notes, For those of you who say "I need less than 1ms of delay!" I have to put up with 26ms of delay and it barely affects me (not at all in gameplay, a little bit in the song selection).
Ayayano
2) I will recommend the tablet that I have as I have heard a lot of people that use it are satisfied with it, its the xp pen g640

4) keypad could be worth if you find that your kb is bad or just isnt doing you justice. Like if you hate your keyboard for instance than for sure, otherwise it depends.
vSanguine

TheArcMageYT wrote:

2) I will recommend the tablet that I have as I have heard a lot of people that use it are satisfied with it, its the xp pen g640

+1
UnnamedBeast

OSUBlueBlue wrote:

1. If you are feeling SUPER COMFORTABLE playing with a mouse, I'd advise you to become a mouse player. Sure, it takes slightly longer, and your sensitivity has to be super high, but you will also get more fame, and it's more cheap.
However, if you are feeling like you can't play mouse anymore, then it's time to get a tablet. One of the cheapest (yet best) options is probably the Wacom CTL-490 (Intous Draw) as it is cheap (for only £39 or something).

What do you mean you need a super high sensitivity? A super high sensitivity makes small jumps be hell and makes your aim super hard to control

The lower the sensitivity the better because you have way better control.
Implojin
go to amazon
type in 'drawing tablet'
sort by price
pick one that fits your budget
wait a few days
take it out of the box and connect it
come back to osu forums and post a topic 'how do i git gud with tablet'