forum

BUMP OF CHICKEN - Tentai Kansoku

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, 6 December 2007 at 7:45:36 PM

Artist: BUMP OF CHICKEN
Title: Tentai Kansoku
BPM: 165
Filesize: 13884kb
Play Time: 03:23
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2.92 stars, 280 notes)
  2. Normal (4.23 stars, 375 notes)
Download: BUMP OF CHICKEN - Tentai Kansoku
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first beatmap, which is probably why it took a while, but it doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist. This awesome song is one some people may know from the Daigasso! Band Brothers (DS) expansion. I was thinking how great it would have been as a final song like SSAY, and at full length it fits that role pretty well.

Normal is highly recommended, although parts of it can be kind of tricky for a Normal map. Easy mostly just removes the parts that I thought were likely to mess someone up.

There are some annoying timing issues, where parts of the song somehow go an eighth off timing temporarily. I think I've dealt with all of them, but if you find anything off, let me know.

Edit: Redid a lot of the timing later in the song. I probably played around with it so much that I messed something up, though, so it should probably be checked again.

Edit 2: Fixed some various oversights in note placement, and changed Easy a bit. I can't think of anything else left to be done with this map, though.
Ivalset
There may have been an error in packaging, I see no mp3. I'd tell you how it should be done, but since I don't map I don't have the knowledge. Maybe check a few other threads where the problem is the same.
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
Hm, no idea why that happened. Hopefully it works now.
Kharl
The offset I gave you earlier is only a rough estimation (I was in a hurry so I didn't spend much time with it). After some fine-tuning, it should be 16,652 so please change it again. Sorry. ^^"
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
Argh, when I changed it to what you originally said, it took almost no adjustment. That time, I had to go and fix the entire song afterwards. Why did you have to go and do that? >_< Well, on the bright side, you were right. This might be the last update I upload before the weekend, since I'm going to be busy with things that, sadly, are more important than Osu.
peppy

Impossible wrote:

Argh, when I changed it to what you originally said, it took almost no adjustment. That time, I had to go and fix the entire song afterwards. Why did you have to go and do that? >_< Well, on the bright side, you were right. This might be the last update I upload before the weekend, since I'm going to be busy with things that, sadly, are more important than Osu.
When changing offset, go into select mode, ctrl-a (select all) then drag the notes on the timeline a few pixels until the notch into their new location. Simple and painless!
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
Not everything needed to be changed, though, it was just a lot of it.

Anyway, now that it's finished, has anyone played it?
eyup
Really nice work there. After the timing fix, beatmap looks pretty good to me! There are some parts where the distance between a note and slider were kind of inconsistent with the note-to-note spacings, but I don't think it's that big an issue. Pending another mod's approval, this map is ready for the rankings!

And no, I have no idea how the Easy map is also 4 stars. When I next catch up with the guy who made the star difficulty algorithm, I'll make sure he gets a thorough bashing.
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
Were those inconsistencies more on Normal or Easy? I was pretty careful with Normal, but I could have missed some things on Easy.

Edit: Went through the song again on both difficulties, and I did find a few little things like that... I don't think any of them were particularly harmful, but it should be better now.
Kharl
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: BUMP OF CHICKEN - Tentai Kansoku (Impossible) [Normal Revised].osu

Download: BUMP OF CHICKEN - Tentai Kansoku (Impossible) [Easy Revised].osu
peppy
Seems pretty good. Being such a long song, I can imagine it being quite tiring considering the lack of any real repetition of sequences that you can learn along the way. Also the swap between singing and the background guitar(?) is a bit off-putting - especially the first section you do that. It comes quite suddenly.

As for specific points... I'm not a huge fan of the sliders that start and end in <1/4th of each other. An example is at 2:26:18, but there are more than occur before this. It just feels wrong for me at least.

Good job - I really like this song.
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
I was trying to keep it from getting repetitive, especially because of the length, so I made some efforts to add variation, particularly to the chorus, although it's still fairly similar at least the first two times. As I've said, I think it's similar to the approach of SSAY. I could use more repeating patterns, but in a 4 minute song that's likely to just get boring. Some shorter maps also don't leave breaks, so I think I structured it fairly well.

The first time the beats start following the guitar in the background is right after a break. I don't see anything jarring about that, and I like that part. Similarly, I do the same thing with the third chorus for a bit of variety, and again after a break. That part is quite easy anyway. And in both cases, I like taking advantage of a part of the music that's different (like the guitar line unique to the third chorus) in what would otherwise being a boring repeat. Aside from that, I guess there's the bit after the second and final choruses... If other people complain about that, maybe I'll see if I can at least make it simpler in Easy, and if I do that there's no real need to do change Normal.

Coming from someone who has a hell of a lot more trouble with sliders than you, I haven't found the sliders a quarter beat apart to be a problem. And it's never less than that, and unless I've missed something, it's only twice in the song. I've removed them from Easy, though, just to be safe.

Easy mysteriously became easier after Kharl gave me his improved timing version. How bizarre. I wish he'd told me first, because I deleted the old one and I wasn't sure what some of the changes were. Some of it was good, but some of it I really had to change back.
Kharl
Easy mysteriously became easier after Kharl gave me his improved timing version. How bizarre. I wish he'd told me first, because I deleted the old one and I wasn't sure what some of the changes were. Some of it was good, but some of it I really had to change back.
Hmm? Strange... I though I only changed the timing. What is thi............. AH, I REMEMBERED NOW! :o

Yes, I was trying to simplify the map just for fun. I'm afraid I must have accidentally saved it, hence the change in the version I uploaded here. I'm so sorry about that. I still keep a copy of your original version unchanged (and also not retimed too, unfortunately, but you can still use it as a reference, I guess).

Download: BUMP OF CHICKEN - Tentai Kansoku (Impossible) [Easy].osu
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
I'll probably leave things how they are now, but I'll double check and make sure there isn't something I didn't want changed. It really did need to be easier.

Some of the timing still sounds off, actually. I know we thought it was just from the second chorus, but there are bits and pieces earlier on that sound a tiny bit delayed... Hopefully it's just me who thinks that.
Topic Starter
Impossible_old
I think I'm happy with it now... My only concern is that the timing actually sounds a bit off compared to other maps, even earlier on in the song (like the first chorus). I think the offset might be a little bit high, but I'm not sure. That would explain why timing has been such a pain in the ass.
Ivalset
Can't find anything wrong other than personal gripes (roar star sliders), so...*ranked*
ZZT the Fifth
Gotta say, this beatmap set is one of my favorites. I just wish you had set the slider tick rate to 2 instead of 1; it'd be absolutely perfect then.