forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
MadriDless
Oh ReTLoM so poetic jajaja. Well i think im just was getting some bad, days thanks for the help. I will keep playing mania , im really enjoying this game and i hope some day can become good as you guys are :D ;)
Taadashi
Hey.

I recently changed my keybindings to a new setup that feels more natural and comfortable. Since I've played with my old setup since I started osu!mania my accuracy isn't really the greatest with the new setup, which makes me question whether I should keep on playing with my new one or revert back to the old one.

My question is, how long do you guys think I should try the new settings before determining whether I should keep them or not? I know this would be different from person to person but maybe someone has any experience of this and could give me a hint of how long it would take.

Thanks.
Bobbias
I'd say it also depends on how much you play. For me, I'd give it a week of playing every day, or longer if you play less than every day. If you start to see some improvement in that week, definitely keep with it, and even if you don't, I'd suggest maybe sticking with it a bit longer. Usually what feels more comfortable ends up being a better layout.

I wish I could remember how long it took me to see noticeable changes when I switched to my current layout.
Taadashi
Thanks for answering. I'll keep at it with these settings for a while then. :)
mulraf
wow.

Adjust your speed and where you look: If you're playing while looking at the bottom of the screen, then your scroll speed isn't fast enough. Adjust it until you're looking somewhere around the middle area of the board. You want it to be as fast as you can while still playing good since it spreads out the notes and facilitates the reading. If you're not used to playing while looking in the middle, try a couple easier maps with flashlight on. Now, don't expect to do good, it's just to give an "average feel" of what a good speed and concentration area is. Looking at the center of the playing field with an appropriate speed is crucial to properly read harder patterns.
i'm not gonna lie. this must be the single best tip i ever received in osu!
i was really getting nowhere, stuck in <2.5* where i was still pretty bad. i just tried looking at the middle of the screen for once after reading this and instantly, while i was doing rather bad today, got from my previous best 90% with lots of tries to 98% acc. it's pure wizardry!
thonks <3
eyes
lifehack: don't look at any particular area of the playfield, look at every pattern you see, you should move your eyes from up to down every time you see some piece of pattern (or reverse, if you play with ddr style).
ReTLoM
^LoL

works until you have 10 lines full of pattern when you follow #1 you need to move up with your eyes BAM after moving 1mm up a wild note/pattern suddenly appear and you have no space to follow it to your hit line "OHHHH BOI 0.0001second reaction time inc"!!
If you follow them you will get serious reading problems in higher/denser charts every time you go up with you eyes your scroll speed is basically quadrippelt depend how fast you go up and you have a high chance to Drop/dont see notes while you move your eyes up in dense pattern!!
Example:
you know that news shows with moving txt in the bottom when you stare some where in the middle at it you can read it fine but if you focus EVERY word/letter and follow it until it starts to disappear and start to follow the txt against its moving direction to find the new word/letter you will have a way harder time to read it even when it is slow

i bet you don't really follow it by your self. Its just in your mind you have a view field somewhere in the middle where you follow the notes about 1cm up and down with your eyes but the rest is only by reflex sure you still see notes at the bottom/top on the edge of your focus field of view and react to it by muscle memory like all of us do but following notes is a bad advise in general for newbies i think! because it is not a real following its more a type of muscle memory/reflex you build up by time
Bobbias
Following notes is bad. I have never seen a good player advise anyone to do anything but pick a spot near the middle and focus on that spot only. Following notes down the screen means you dont see whats after them, meaning the time to read that first pattern has cut into the time you need to read the next one. Following notes is either a bad habit, or a sign that you are struggling to read those patterns and are compensating by trying to give yourself more time to read it.
Selegiline
tip: if you have trouble keeping your eyes in one spot, adjust your combo position to be in the spot you want to look at. It will act as makeshift reading aid.
About following notes: it works sometimes in vertical reading, for example if you have a very long anchor, trill or inverted pattern layered with something different (think Agony 7k lvl 44 in 7th LN dan). This way you can identify and "shut out" the pattern that only requires you to stay in tempo and focus on the other one.
Playing SV charts helps with that kind of reading. A lot.
Xcel Conspired
22 hours of playtime, 1k pp, rank 45k. Is that on par for average?
dayuii
What an interesting topic.
_Febrian24
Thanks, this thread is very helpful 😆
HeyImNik
Really helpful thread but it's been 5 years and we need a new one that actually applies to today's beatmaps patterns. :)
And the way you point out the difference between novice and advanced players doesn't make any sense and its way too steep. I've seen people get to ET level in just a year, and some people such as myself will get easily to 5k ranking in just a year, which is an advanced player according to your thread. You generalize the speed of learning of a player too much and too slow which is not right because this thread is suppose to apply to every player individually and not a crowd of players.
M i a u
Really helpful thank u very much :3
ABD007
1) Find a good skin for you understand the notes. Where ? Watch youtube, search google or use skin top player .
2) Set your keybind . Test it for yourself.
3) Recommend to uncheck scale things & remember ... thingy in general settings . Up to you actually :)
4) Adjust the speed. Find your suitable speed. 25-30 maybe ? Experiment it out !
5) Then, set times to play. 1 day - 4 hour ? Play more is really wide sentences but, you really need to play it more . Because ? Your eye & brain need to understand the notes very well ><

That's all from me!
Good luck ^^
WinterIsPretty
The funny thing is, that is exactly what I have been doing since I started playing mania and now I can do 4 stars in 4k, but I've been focusing on 4k the most so I can only do 2 stars in 7k and 3 stars in 5k.

I use an arrow skin but deleted the arrows because it is a lot easier to read because the notes are larger.

I'm also getting a mechanical keyboard to press notes a whole lot easier than my laptop keyboard.

I've only been playing mania for a month and I'm still gaining much skill by learning patterns and slowly increasing my scroll speed by increasing my reaction time/reading skill.

Whenever I'm not on my computer, I play opsu! on my phone (I know it isn't mania but it helps you learn patterns). Everyday when I come back to opsu! I get better at it and that also affects my skill in mania. Right now I can read 9 star songs. I think opsu! helps with hand eye coordination so you can quickly react with really fast patterns because my hand eye coordination is extremely good. I don't play osu!standard but since my hand eye coordination is good, I can aim at the notes perfectly, I just need to increase my timing which I'm doing right now.

I would say I'm a novice but with these techniques I use, I'm gaining on being able to beat 4k songs easily with a lot less effort.

Another way of being fit, (but a terrible way to go) is to probably drink coffee, but there are no shortcuts in life so being fit and active is the way to go!

I would say to make it easier to read patterns in mania you have to change skins to the one that fits you and helps you most, increasing that scroll speed, playing levels you have never played, and just perfecting your hand eye coordination.

I recommend trying other game modes too so then your mind finds it easier to learn the main things for playing a rhythm game. Taiko is very similar to mania, and osu!standard greatly increases your skills once you get good at it. Catch only deals with hand eye coordination, I don't like to play it because it is very easy for me.
ZeroPersona
The Judgement on Osumania is so strict that i literally cried out of frustration..
The fact i played other rhythm games made this much harder for me </3
Brillz
Oh wow, this was very helpful, thanks!
OsuUser2
Thanks!!
zvirtual
Angus
WolfyFawkes

zvirtual wrote:

well i was half taking this seriously but then i realized you yourself aren't even at a skill level where you can teach people how to improve, so im not even sure if this should be taken seriously at all

Likely no, perhaps over-generalization of actual helpful tips. "Find what star level you're good at and expand from there" is what I was told by some friends.
KuriKuri-Ame
Really helpful.. Thanks! :D
Crqstalized7
This Is helpful this Is great. I will sure visit this thread to see what to improve.
-hx
Please update the pictures in the pattern repository, they're not all loading properly :)
vinicus_vmngyt
What are some recommended maps to learn a variety of patterns for 4k and others. or should i just download everything i see on the beatmaps page?
Bobbias

vinicus_vmngyt wrote:

What are some recommended maps to learn a variety of patterns for 4k and others. or should i just download everything i see on the beatmaps page?

Download everything. There are so many different ways that different patterns are used too. The BPM affects how a pattern plays. The transitions between 2 patterns also affect things. Diversity is always better, and the only way you get diversity is downloading everything you can.
FarFromExact
just play more. thats it.
imDzunq
Nice post xd
McEndu
Most images broke
jpsn
I have been playing for about 2 days and this guide after reading it honestly will save me. I never thought about playing other keymodes and was just going to stick with 4k forever. I am now going to learn to play 7k and most likely 5k. Thanks for this guide!!!!
NekoKid
maybe every week go up like half a star in difficulty, and in like a month you'll be from fcing 3 stars to fcing 5-6 stars
"its a simple spell but quite unbreakable"
[LS]PositoniX

zvirtual wrote:

well i was half taking this seriously but then i realized you yourself aren't even at a skill level where you can teach people how to improve, so im not even sure if this should be taken seriously at all
this thread was posted 7 years ago, ops skill back than was rather impressive. how well this advice has aged is a different topic.
FpsPro69
This is one of the best post ive ever seen
_Kancho_
does ET mean Etterna?
DeletedUser_16363950
all the advise i can give is train stamina and accuracy, thats what gets u pp.
animeslayergp

xXxDemiGodxXx wrote:

does ET mean Etterna?
yes and my advice is to take it 1 note at a time and try changing your skin to arrow while also playing etterna for 4k,if you want to be a top player,then you need to know 7k which again,take it one arrow at a time and dont give up untill your able to get finger control,even if it means having to play under 1star
mizu810
Started out in DJ MAX RESPECT V last year and been playing
a week now in Osu!mania and at first I didn't like it
and compared it to a scuffed DJ MAX but the skill ceiling is
endless in mania. So thanks for this guide.
Was a hard pill to swallow, but this shit takes years of practice
every damn day to be good, luckily enough I'm enjoying my time with
the game but reading that made me realize, I need to slow down and play
small bits a day or you will just Burn out so fast.
animeslayergp
ill probably always be novice but ive accepted it
iFiish
thanks now I'm pro
zeejhay24
It's so nice to see other players who improve on osu!mania. There is an osu!mania player that I previously overtakes usually. But now after several months of encountering that player, he/she (or what's so ever) usually overtakes my score and can now also able to score perfect 1,000,000 on such songs. That gave me humiliation. But on me, I wasn't able to improve. It keeps on giving me yellow (or low) 300 even I am in good timing. How do I improve?
show more