forum

We may be just days away from seeing a black hole for the first time ever

posted
Total Posts
show more
abraker
Because it does sound like an explanation to some game.

In reality we will start jumping straight to machine as soon as the first general purpose AI is made. Genetics and prosthetic will become as relevant as the gameboy micro did. It had a short and irrelevant reign. Before those start becoming mainstream, machines will offer more advantages then remaining organic, putting anything organic a novelty within a span of couple centuries.
Aiseca

abraker wrote:

Not all energy consumption has to happen on this planet.

Precisely, because Earthbound energy resources cannot cover the gap to reach type I, simple.

abraker, HD, check the explanation here:
abraker
Imagine a type III civilization create black hole to slingshot across another blackhole just to see if it would tear itself into two blackhole pieces
Tad Fibonacci

abraker wrote:

Imagine a type III civilization create black hole to slingshot across another blackhole just to see if it would tear itself into two blackhole pieces
I think they'd either merge or disperse. They're just 2 lumps of highly compressed mass.
cravenfiner
hey abraker’s meme was right
abraker
When you read enough science articles, you know what to expect.
Tad Fibonacci
Well, he is the mad scientist.
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD
yes this is the image of the black hole

they captured it using event horizon telescope with 55 million distance away, and the black hole is as large as our solar system it is located in our center galaxy

because of the image is capture not in real distance we can only see the shadow of it which is not very sharp, they didnt take a photo, they collected data about the black holes and are piecing together an illustration as to what the black hole probably looks like, the same way that a photo is just data collected ant stitched together, except here you are limited by distance and current technology.

theyre using interferometry, so they will get a real image once they process their data.
but they said the actual black hole will look like the "Interstellar" movie black hole

also heres an interesting video about what we can get from this event

abraker
One neat thing looking at the image tho, you can tell its tilt and direction of rotation

Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD
beautiful explanation by veritasium

i can already see the future
kardashev scale type 1 soon
Vuelo Eluko
defrost me when science makes my wiafu real
ColdTooth

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

ok see you in 80 million years
Westonini

ColdTooth wrote:

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

ok see you in 80 million years

don't worry, we'll wait for your return.
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD
abraker when he was just a child

abraker
hmm
ColdTooth
What scares you the most?

"abraker."

-ColdTooth
abraker
abraker: *exists*

coldtooth: °•°
Westonini
abraker: "abraker"

ColdTooth: abraker: °•°

*exists* What scares you the most?

- abraker
abraker
what kind of amalgamation of a meme is that?
abraker
levesterz
That pic of blavkey holey look like eye of sauron
levesterz
And i do some digging looks like i am not the only one thinking that.
levesterz
New theory: lord of the ring is rea........
TeeArctic1
I mean, if we go for the multiverse theory, then yes, there exists a universe where LOTR is reality
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD

abraker wrote:

imagine black hole is going towards our solar system
dung eater
Where do i sigh up? never thought you csn get so flexible in just days
Ryoid
they are two black hole under my nose
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD

hmm
Ashton

TheLegendaryHD wrote:

hmm

He actually stated in a tweet that he did not write 850k lines of code.
LazerLove
Black holes can say the N word
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD

Ashton wrote:

TheLegendaryHD wrote:

hmm

He actually stated in a tweet that he did not write 850k lines of code.

yeah i just noticed it right now

and this

but i still have a suspect that Andrew Chael is still the actual man behind the black holes image because he literally wrote most codes, even though katie was a huge part the collaboration at every step but this man wrote every codes, and that is just my speculation and opinion

they do this to defense katie from the people that attacked her
abraker
Why do people measure how great some one is in the amount of things they have done. That's not how it works. There are dependencies and only dependencies. One person is being depended upon to use their specialized skill set to help solve part of the the problem. Amount of work they put into solving the problem should be irrelevant. What is relevant is that they are being counted on to do it and it's not a task not many can do.
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD

abraker wrote:

Why do people measure how great some one is in the amount of things they have done. That's not how it works. There are dependencies and only dependencies. One person is being depended upon to use their specialized skill set to help solve part of the the problem. Amount of work they put into solving the problem should be irrelevant. What is relevant is that they are being counted on to do it and it's not a task not many can do.

this sudden fame for a young woman in a male-dominated field couldn’t stand. A corrective was quickly found in Andrew Chael, another member of the Event Horizon Telescope team, who, not coincidentally, is white and male

because there are some male who value their gender more than female, and by seeing a female just did an amazing things in science for capturing a picture of a black hole they cant just accept it right away, and they will find every possible hoaxes or hole to make the female embarrassed and spread it

without katie they cant do all of this shit, and yet people cant just accept that it was done by a female
B1rd
They really need to use a high-res camera.
abraker
I agree. A camera the size of our planet is not enough. We need to launch radio telescopes into space and make it the size of the solar system
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD

B1rd wrote:

They really need to use a high-res camera.

the reason is because event horizon telescope captured it from 55 million light year distance
and the reason why the telescope can see it because its big, as big as our solar system

more zoom = less quality and resolution

with current technology, thats the highest resolution achievable, considering they are imaging a black hole 55 million light-years away, thats incredibly impressive

abraker wrote:

I agree. A camera the size of our planet is not enough. We need to launch radio telescopes into space and make it the size of the solar system

but sure a telescope the size of our solar system could fix the quality problem and zooming more
kai99
we're looking at light that's 55 million years old tbh we gotta go quicker
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD
imagine our sun dies and scientist tell us right after it dies, but we didnt believe it since it took 8 minutes to travel to earth while scientist are using telescope
kai99

TheLegendaryHD wrote:

imagine our sun dies and scientist tell us right after it dies, but we didnt believe it since it took 8 minutes to travel to earth while scientist are using telescope

This is very yikers to think about
abraker
@TheLegndary That's not how it works at all lmao

sun dies you wouldn't see it with a telescope until 8 minutes after. Same goes for everyone else. Light takes 8 minutes to travel from the sun to earth and there is nothing that travels faster, nothing you can do to make it arrive faster (unless you compressed the distance of spacetime between earth and sun, in which case you will have to figure out how to deal with the gamma radiation since that would decrease the light's wavelengths)
show more