forum

Add beatmap contributors to the description

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tatatat
I propose to make it a requirement to add the contributors to not only the tags, but also the beatmap description. So often I see mapsets with unknown usernames credited in the tags, and no explanation in the description or the modding thread. If they aren't mentioned anywhere, I begin to wonder if they even actually worked on the mapset and it wasn't a mistake or a leftover having their names in the tags. This affects the modding process as well since extra unrelated usernames shouldn't be in the tags, and if there is no credit for them anywhere its unknown if they are meant to be in the tags or not.

Anyways my main proposal is to change the rule

Guest mappers, storyboarders, skinners and hitsounders must be added to the tags of a beatmap set. This is to give credit where credit is due and help others identify the main contributors of any given beatmap set. Usernames containing whitespaces should be written with underscores instead.

to

Guest mappers, storyboarders, skinners and hitsounders must be added to the tags and description of a beatmap set. A brief explanation of what they contributed should be included in the description. This is to give credit where credit is due and help others identify the main contributors of any given beatmap set. Usernames containing whitespaces should be written in the tags with underscores instead.

I also think having users credited in the beatmap description along with what they did would actually help credit them greatly more than just being in the tags would. There is context to what they've done for the beatmap, and their name isn't lost in a sea of other tags. Most people already do this, and thats great. But for those who don't it can be a real hassle figuring out who made what, especially with multiple collaborative difficulties that don't include names.

An exception could be that usernames clearly stated in a diff name don't have to be credited in the description, and an addition could be that the time stamps for collaborative difficulties must also be posted in the description (for comparing drain time, and crediting). I'm not going to include either unless people agree/feedback says so.

Do you think this should be its own separate rule, or a guideline instead? Do you think the change to "Usernames containing whitespaces should be written in the tags with underscores instead." isn't necessary? Post your response below! C:
Sidetail
At first glance, this was a good idea, but some do care about anonymity. It isn't uncommon to see a creator wants to be anonymous for specific cases (like SBer on this). I do believe having brief explanation exposes the contributors of mapset explicitly (perhaps in a good way), but I have feeling that it is quite overdone.

If creator wants to show his/her participation (on his/her will), he/she can simply contact the mapset owner to request him/her contributions in the description box. Otherwise I believe tag is enough. TLDR: Making this a rule/guideline seem unnecessary.

@tatatat: Since you're quite familiar with storyboarding community, I can provide you with more instances where this backfires. I had several take down request for osb.moe website from individuals who did not like being shown off.

Just two cents.
Aiseca
Unnecessary. Putting them to tags is okay enough. Also, Sidetail has a point.
Serizawa Haruki
As you said, most maps already do this, at least to some extent, and in most cases the diff name already states who made it, unless the mapper is using a different alias. For hitsounders/storyboarders, it would be useful, but again, most maps already credit them in the description. Also, the description can be changed even after the map is ranked so it's something that cannot be checked. If anything, it should only be added as a recommendation but not as a rule or guideline.
pishifat
posts above this sum up my thoughts as well. tags are used for credits and in most cases, users label their own difficulties as well. if someone is mis-tagged, that can be questioned in the modding process. also, making a rule about beatmap descriptions is something best to avoid unless 100% necessary, since they can be adjusted post-rank