forum

chat4osu! - a chat client for referees and casual chatters

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hallowatcher

Greetings gamers!

Have you ever felt the need to chat with your friends without opening the osu! client? You might've ran into your typical IRC clients used by basically everyone like mIRC and HexChat just to realize that they look old and bloated as hell.

Then you look around for some osu! specific client and you find irc4osu (which has been dead since 2016). You suddenly lose all hope...

...this is where my client steps in.

chat4osu! is a project I have been working for several years already (casually). I've been moving from framework to framework, refactoring code from scratch until I finally decided on what I call chat4osu!. I specifically didn't include IRC in the name because the migration to the new APIv2 with OAuth is planned and I'm fully devoted to it.

But I thought to myself, just another IRC client wouldn't cut it. That's when the reffing features got implemented. I'm fully aware of Script-chan, but that just takes away the reffing experience and does everything for you. So I just went with features that help you out, like displaying players + slots and the current map. The whole range of features is listed below, and if you're missing something, feel free to leave a comment or open an issue on the GitLab page. I'm pretty active!

Also keep in mind that this project is in it's beta stages. If you find any issues, make sure to report them. Joining the discord would also work!

General
- Windows and Linux supported
- simplistic design inspired by Discord
- player listing for individual channels
- clickable links using the link format [https://blabla example]
- links and usernames open your preferred browser
- your credentials are saved until you decide to log out
- your previous channels are all saved even after closing the client
- save chatlog with /savelog, /save or /log
- powered by Electron (framework used for Slack, Discord, etc)
- auto-update to make your lazy life easier
- future-proof for APIv2 + OAuth
- open source!!

Referee features for multiplayer lobbies
- detect teams + taken slots
- detect current map + mods
- detect win condition + team mode
- send quick 1-click commands
--> refresh = !mp settings
--> start in 10s = !mp start 10
--> abort = !mp abort

Planned
see the GitLab backlog

Download for Windows
Download for Linux
Source code
Report a bug
Discord
* Donate

* note that this project is not official. It is solely a project I made for fun in my free time and your donation is optional

Changelog

1. Official linux AppImage release! You can find it in the original post
  2. A new settings panel with a notification sound option which is on by default
  3. A sweet new changelog page to see the changes more clearly
  4. Lots of framework updates for security and stability (Angular 9, Electron 9, etc...)
  5. Updated the login page to include the c4o logo
  6. Fixed a bug where having too many tabs open would prevent middle click close
  7. Fixed a bug where typing the wrong password would keep trying to reconnect
  8. Some general font updates for better readability

1. Redesigned tabs (new tab colors)
  2. Huge redesign to the chat
  3. Seconds are now included in /savelog command
  4. Initial loading page is now seamless with the app (no white screen)
  5. Different colored usernames for operators (chat moderators) and BanchoBot
  6. Red/Blue colored usernames in TeamVS lobbies
  7. Whenever you are mentioned in a chat you have opened, a new "#highlighted" tab opens with information on this highlight

1. Middle click closing of tabs (currently does not work if tabs are scrollable)
  2. Minor redesign
  3. Unread tab color
  4. Rearranging tabs now possible (hurrayy)
  5. Reconnect on network error (because fuck bancho)
  6. Fix join command (previously did not work)

1. Added /savelog command (also works with /save and /log)
  2. Added a changelog for every update
  3. Improved link checking and fixed a few bugs with it (thanks @oliebol)
  4. Channels from last session will be reopened (feature request from @oliebol)
  5. Fix error when doing !mp close and closing the tab
  6. Window can now be resized even smaller for multitasking purposes

1. Initial public release
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
since the exe is generated by GitLab directly, windows 10 has no information on it so it displays the following message

I can assure you it is safe to open it (More info -> start anyways)

For linux, a similar thing must be done. You must make the AppImage executable.
GDLenny
uwu
maciek
owo whats this
NKJ
Pog
cocona
ziemlich episch
Eistal
yes
hi-def
yea
Serterd
Cool
Icerite
Love this client ♥
tigereyes144
pog
Poised
You are amazing
Novalian
cool
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
thanks for the positive comments guys!
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
I just released a minor update!

1. Added /savelog command (also works with /save and /log)
  2. Added a changelog for every update
  3. Improved link checking and fixed a few bugs with it (thanks @oliebol)
  4. Channels from last session will be reopened (feature request from @oliebol)
  5. Fix error when doing !mp close and closing the tab
  6. Window can now be resized even smaller for multitasking purposes

If you had chat4osu! previously installed, it should automatically update.

I would also like to thank everyone who spread the word about my client, especially in tournament servers. I appreciate it!
Rels
You are heaven sent. You are the one they speak of when the rain is blessed down in Africa, truly. Bless your soul
Topic Starter
hallowatcher

Husser wrote:

You are heaven sent. You are the one they speak of when the rain is blessed down in Africa, truly. Bless your soul

Thank you!

Also, bumping this up as the client is still relevant and updates may happen soon
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
I just released a minor update!

1. Middle click closing of tabs (currently does not work if tabs are scrollable)
  2. Minor redesign (see attached screenshot)
  3. Unread tab color
  4. Rearranging tabs now possible (hurrayy)
  5. Reconnect on network error (because fuck bancho)
  6. Fix join command (previously did not work)

If you had chat4osu! previously installed, it should automatically update.

Redesign screenshot (background pattern)

Rearranging tabs and unread tab color
moss-
maybe you could add font options in the far future?
this is just a personal opinion but the current one kind of strains my eyes ><
Joyi
i dont have enough friends for this to be useful :(
Mariano
Thanks a lot <3
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
I just released a (not-so-minor) update! It's been 5 months since the last update so I need to revive the project quickly. chat4osu! has auto update - just fire it up and watch it get updated!

1. Redesigned tabs (new tab colors)
  2. Huge redesign to the chat (nicer to the eye, see screenshot below)
  3. Seconds are now included in /savelog command
  4. Initial loading page is now seamless with the app (no white screen)
  5. Different colored usernames for operators (chat moderators) and BanchoBot
  6. Red/Blue colored usernames in TeamVS lobbies (YESSSS) (looking at you test tournament refs)
  7. Whenever you are mentioned in a chat you have opened, a new "#highlighted" tab opens with information on this highlight

Chat redesign

Highlights

---

You can check out the upcoming features, or suggest your own ideas here:
https://gitlab.com/hallowatcher/chat4osu/issues

If you like a particular suggestion, make sure to leave a thumbs up in the issue. Then I can prioritize.
A reminder you can join my Discord to ask question:
https://discord.gg/9pvBk7f

Also, don't forget this project is open source and open for PRs :)
acepenterbig42
if this is beta then eat my pp (not my *beep*, but my performance points)

it's a joke
arissarazie
Wish there is mobile ver, since my laptop is broken. but still this is very nice
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
I just released a feature-rich update! It's been 5 months since the last update (again). I will try to release more frequently from now on.

chat4osu! has auto update - just fire it up and watch it get updated!

1. Official linux AppImage release! You can find it in the original post
  2. A new settings panel with a notification sound option which is on by default (see screenshot below)
  3. A sweet new changelog page to see the changes more clearly
  4. Lots of framework updates for security and stability (Angular 9, Electron 9, etc...)
  5. Updated the login page to include the c4o logo
  6. Fixed a bug where having too many tabs open would prevent middle click close
  7. Fixed a bug where typing the wrong password would keep trying to reconnect
  8. Some general font updates for better readability
New settings panel

This settings panel will grow over time, but I made a good foundation for it to add as many customizable settings in the future.

---

You can check out the upcoming features, or suggest your own ideas here:
https://gitlab.com/hallowatcher/chat4osu/issues

If you like a particular suggestion, make sure to leave a thumbs up in the issue. Then I can prioritize.
A reminder you can join my Discord to ask question or suggest quick changes:
https://discord.gg/9pvBk7f

Also, don't forget this project is open source and open for PRs :)

I do NOT ask for donations, but I've invested hours on end in this project and others (pickem, osu event, osu matchmaking, etc.), so if you wish to support my work, you can find a donation link here.
Siadow
This is awesome, way better than the others, in each category, for Osu! ^_^b
_Illustrious_
Download isn't available.
Renew the download please.
Topic Starter
hallowatcher

_Illustrious_ wrote:

Download isn't available.
Renew the download please.
Sorry for this! Apparently, GitLab changed its default artifact expiry (see https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2020/06/18/job-artifact-meta-data-expiration-change/)

It should be fixed now.
HaiImFish
32bits please
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
chat4osu 0.7 is out now!

I went through the backlog on the gitlab page and implemented 2 suggestions and fixed 2 bugs. Soon, once I go through the backlog a bit more, the client should be out of beta finally.

I would like to remind you guys that you can also write your suggestions in the GitLab backlog: https://gitlab.com/hallowatcher/chat4osu/-/issues

Added custom highlight keywords
Previously, if your name was something like [HALLO] (with the brackets) and people just called you hallo, then you wouldn't receive a highlight because it wouldn't match your username. Now, you can add a custom highlight keyword for the term "hallo" in Options -> Notifications. All keywords are case-insensitive and you can have multiple by comma separating them.

Thanks to https://gitlab.com/Bullet4fun for the suggestion.

Added keyboard shortcuts
I've added a few common keyboard shortcuts that you can find in most applications with tab functionality.
- Ctrl + N: Open a new channel
- Ctrl + W: Close a tab
- Ctrl + Tab or Ctrl + Right arrow: Cycle to next channel
- Ctrl + Shift + Tab or Ctrl + Left arrow: Cycle to previous channel

If you guys know of any more useful keyboard shortcuts, let me know.
Thanks to https://gitlab.com/Thymue for the suggestion

Bugfixes
Fixed a bug where usernames with spaces would not show up in the correct teams for TeamVS. This was mostly an issue with IRC setting spaces to underscores. So "Primark Umbre" would be recognized as "Primark_Umbre". This also meant that if someone wrote "Primark Umbre" in chat, you wouldn't get highlighted. This has been fixed as well. Thanks https://gitlab.com/LeoFLT for reporting this one

Fixed a bug where channel names would overflow into 2 lines if the window was too small and a lot of tabs were opened. I've made it so that channel names are never too long. This change also caused the tabs to not show a horizontal scrollbar anymore, they are made smaller every time you add a tab (just like Chrome). Thanks https://gitlab.com/Thymue for reporting this one
Monsquid
@hallowatcher, it's not working anymore for me (on Windows), there's an infinite loading at the start
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
chat4osu 0.8 is out now!

Added custom hotkey support
You can now create your own hotkeys for your own means under the Settings -> Hotkeys page. You can do cool things with this, for example binding Ctrl + 1 to "!mp start 10" or to start a timer

Added a useful /help command
You can write /help in chat to see all available commands. The help message also shows a nice cheat sheet for !mp set, because who remembers what each number is for when writing "!mp set 0 3 4"

From now on, chat4osu won't forcibly close on you when updating
This one is clear enough.

Added ability to scroll through your sent messages with the up and down arrow keys
You can use this to resend messages quickly.

Bugfixes
Fixed a bug where after logging in, the client would endlessly load. This was because the user was typing the wrong password, but the error wasn't being caught by the client. Errors should display correctly now when writing wrong passwords, and I also made it clearer that it's the IRC password that you need to enter and NOT your osu password

Fixed a displaying issue when dragging and dropping tabs, it should be smoother now and not change colors.

Hide empty user list when chatting in a PM

PS the application should auto update when you start it. If you are already in, it will not check for updates unless you restart the app.

I would also like to take this time to thank you all who use my projects, be it pickems/chat4osu/mm website. It's been around 3 years since I started developing osu! projects, and just recently I was given the "osu! contributor" status. Thank you ♡
Shige-Tori[a]
seems all good but can you add run Background when i press X ? really wants.
Topic Starter
hallowatcher
An experimental MacOS build has been provided by @Subject#0001 on Discord.

Use this at your own risk!

https://hwc.hr/i/chat4osu-mac-EXPERIMENTAL.dmg

In the meantime, I've planned to set up a MacOS pipeline to build this automatically for Mac users.

PS the mac builds won't be signed, so you have to right click run them.

---

Shige-Tori[a] wrote:

seems all good but can you add run Background when i press X ? really wants.
I've created an issue for this so that it's configurable in the future:
https://gitlab.com/hallowatcher/chat4osu/-/issues/41
show more