forum

What do you guys think about this?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ColdTooth

abraker wrote:

Well consider that if they are indefinitely restricted, then that map is forever in a graveyarded state. You can't really know how long someone is going to be restricted for, but if they try and fail to appeal after two years or some time, then I think it's safe to say they are not coming back.
no
Topic Starter
abraker
explain
Achromalia

abraker wrote:

explain
"no."
Topic Starter
abraker
that's not an explanation
Achromalia

abraker wrote:

that's not an explanation
"that is correct."
Topic Starter
abraker
Ok so without explanation, all your answers are worth nothing. Only Vuelo Eluko and johnmedina999's answers count.

@johnmedina999 this is not about being lazy not making a map. Heck, make it a requirement so that the one claiming should have ranked at least 5 maps prior or ranked 5 maps per map trying to be claimed. This is about maps the fact that maps from restricted users can never be loved or ranked. This is basically blocking the use of something by someone who is never going to use it for anything. That good map that you really wish had a scoreboard? Well too bad, it's made by a restricted user that is never coming back. Let it rot in the graveyard I guess. I find this is reminiscent of making patents that stall innovative progress (good example here).
Aiseca
Wait, is this a thing? WTF?
Vuelo Eluko
i could well see someone being unrestricted after years considering mine lasted over a year

better would be if a mapper could be confirmed dead that this could happen
johnmedina999
I see nothing wrong with having a map graveyarded. If the community really loves it, it'll play it again and again. Loved and Ranked are useless titles.

If, for whatever reason, you wanted the map to have a scoreboard (which I don't understand), and you can't get it loved because the creator is not active, then that's an issue with the loved system. Claiming others' maps is a band-aid fix to the loved problem. I don't know the requirements for loved, but if it requires the creator to be active, then love is broken. Go fix loved instead of making it possible to steal others' hard work.
Vuelo Eluko

johnmedina999 wrote:

If, for whatever reason, you wanted the map to have a scoreboard (which I don't understand)
that about sums it up you really don't get it lol, scoreboard prestige is still everything to old school players, pp is tertiary, plus it's actually great for a mapper to have access to test plays so easily, you dont have to go full Aqo and run around begging people to play your 490 style shitmaps
johnmedina999
Thanks for clarifying, dude. Now, what do you think of my other points?
Vuelo Eluko
just go look at the loved beatmap google doc Toy maintains and see the reasons why certain maps are denied.
johnmedina999
You're missing my question. Do you agree with me or not?
Vuelo Eluko
The creator does not need to be active, they just need to reply yes to Toy's pm asking permission to put their map in a pool of potential loved candidates.

You can't just forcibly slap a scoreboard on someone's map, is that what you think should happen?
Topic Starter
abraker
Maps cannot be loved if the person is restricted. That's a rule.

The person can be unrestricted after years, yes. That's why I specifically mentioned this be apply under the condition the person cannot appeal their restriction (perhaps worded it wrongly).
johnmedina999

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

You can't just forcibly slap a scoreboard on someone's map, is that what you think should happen?
Yes, I do. If the creator is restricted or cannot answer Toy's PM for any other reason, that shouldn't impede a scoreboard. It's not like it affects the creator negatively in any way. If/when the creator comes back, and it turns out he doesn't want a scoreboard for whatever reason, he can just get it removed, simple as that. What, do you think we need van Gogh's permission to hang his Starry Night up in a museum?
Vuelo Eluko
well i disagree, someone might come back and be discouraged to change their maps because it has a scoreboard and people are already enjoying it like that, possibly wiping out months of years worth of plays. loved should be a voluntary opt-in thing only

I dont see why loved should not involve the mapper. What if ranked worked that way too? It'd be a mess.
roshan117
Ya I'm fine with that
johnmedina999

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

I dont see why loved should not involve the mapper. What if ranked worked that way too? It'd be a mess.
Ranked requires the mapper to improve on his map, and get it up to certain standards, with the help of mods on it. It requires the mapper to be there every step of the way. With loved, the map needs no improvement, because the community "loves" it the way it is. It doesn't require the mapper to change any aspect of his map in order to get it loved, and therefore needs no mapper input.

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

well i disagree, someone might come back and be discouraged to change their maps because it has a scoreboard and people are already enjoying it like that, possibly wiping out months of years worth of plays. loved should be a voluntary opt-in thing only
The mapper might be "discouraged", perhaps, but that doesn't stop him from resetting the scoreboard. Anyone who plays loved maps gets a disclaimer that the mapper has the right to reset the scoreboard at any time for any reason. You shouldn't bet on keeping any score made on a loved map. Why should this be different? If the mapper comes back and finds out his map is loved, and he doesn't want it loved, he could just un-love it. Simple.
Vuelo Eluko
like i said, discouraged, just because they now have that right from now choice of their own doesn't mean they wouldn't be wary to use it. Why should we be allowed to go around slapping "Loved" on maps that the creator may not even feel are finished yet that they have to then deal with? It should be up to them at the end of the day as it is their map.. I don't care what the community wants to do with their map if they are not on board with it
johnmedina999
I guess.