Unoffical Updated OSX osu! Wineskin Package

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lazereed
Thank You!
I really appreciate it!
Meloncake
I've updated my Mac to Mojave after getting the updated Osu! and my frames have been, well, bouncing? It goes from 120 down to 60 and back up. It's a rollercoaster ride honestly.

I play Osu! in a very simple way. No in-game interface, 100% bg dim, and I turn off skins and use only mine. I only have the frame counter on.

I've unchecked "Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D" and "Use 3D Boost (if available)" within Wineskin.

I'm not sure if Mojave itself causes the issues, or I've done something else. I hope someone can help me out.

Edit: I've temporarily "resolved" the issue by limiting my frames to 60 fps. I noticed that my ping has been going up and down between 9 and 30, which also causes my frames to do the same. I tested my internet speed, closed other applications, and ran Activity Monitor but it just seems that Osu! itself has an issue.
Launchpad
hi everyone!

i somehow managed to make a modern osu! wineskin from scratch. it actually works, and i've been testing it for the past hour or so on macOS mojave. it's pretty good, so i'll be releasing it here if that's okay.

here's what's different:
  1. uses the wineskin fork mentioned by Electric_espeon: https://github.com/vitor251093/wineskin. much more stable and reliable than original wineskin. i used the binaries from here: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer
  2. runs wine 4.0-rc3 (WS9Wine4.0-rc3) instead of wine 2.22 (WS9Wine2.22)
  3. uses wineskin wrapper version 2.8.8beta6 instead of 2.6.2

stuff that was fixed:
  1. previously, large image assets such as map backgrounds or skin elements would overload the game. these are now handled fine without any freezing (for example, beasttrollmc's new noel skin and sotarks's pp compilation no longer hang the game)
  2. i haven't tested this for over a day yet, but it seems to be much more stable now, being less prone to crashes!
  3. it seems that most of the graphical lag has been eliminated (for the most part), seems to be less screen tearing (i use 60fps limiter and played for a bit, was buttery smooth)
  4. links no longer take 5-30 minutes to open in your browser (thank god), now open instantly

stuff that wasn't fixed:
  1. cjk fonts still don't work correctly
  2. tccd (contact daemon on macOS) keeps on hogging CPU, causing lag (for now, you can just kill it from activity monitor)

stuff that wasn't tested at all:
  1. f.lux (i use night shift)
  2. multi monitor/screen

download: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16lR87eCVYtpjiK6KKA4rNghfpimnj1aE&export=download

as always, make sure the app isn't sandboxed by moving it somewhere, and right click > open because it's unsigned and gatekeeper doesn't like that

if you are getting a "osu! can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." message, open Terminal and run this command with the path to the osu!.app:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu\!.app"

special thanks to Technocoder for his work and giving me inspiration, Electric_espeon for mentioning the fork in the first place

happy holidays and stuff! 🎄 <3

(btw, this wineskin doesn't necessitate xquartz, just like the original from technocoder)
Topic Starter
Technocoder
slc

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

i somehow managed to make a modern osu! wineskin from scratch. it actually works, and i've been testing it for the past hour or so on macOS mojave. it's pretty good, so i'll be releasing it here if that's okay.

here's what's different:
  1. uses the wineskin fork mentioned by Electric_espeon: https://github.com/vitor251093/wineskin. much more stable and reliable than original wineskin. i used the binaries from here: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer

stuff that was fixed:
  1. previously, large image assets such as map backgrounds or skin elements would overload the game. these are now handled fine without any freezing (for example, beasttrollmc's new noel skin and sotarks's pp compilation no longer hang the game)
  2. i haven't tested this for over a day yet, but it seems to be much more stable now, being less prone to crashes!
  3. it seems that most of the graphical lag has been eliminated (for the most part), seems to be less screen tearing (i use 60fps limiter and played for a bit, was buttery smooth)
  4. links no longer take 5-30 minutes to open in your browser (thank god), now open instantly

stuff that wasn't fixed:
  2. tccd (contact daemon on macOS) keeps on hogging CPU, causing lag (for now, you can just kill it from activity monitor)

2. multi monitor/screen

download: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16lR87eCVYtpjiK6KKA4rNghfpimnj1aE&export=download

as always, make sure the app isn't sandboxed by moving it somewhere, and right click > open because it's unsigned and gatekeeper doesn't like that

if you are getting a "osu! can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." message, open Terminal and run this command with the path to the osu!.app:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu!.app"

special thanks to Technocoder for his work and giving me inspiration, Electric_espeon for mentioning the fork in the first place

(btw, this wineskin doesn't necessitate xquartz, just like the original from technocoder)

Can confirm, the wrapper works fine out of the box after that command is run; can't see any graphical or performance differences from my perspective after about 5 minutes of playing but it may be better for others. You might want to open a new thread for your wrapper because I'm pretty sure it's going to get lost down here.
Launchpad

Technocoder wrote:

slc

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

here's what's different:

stuff that was fixed:

stuff that wasn't fixed:

2. multi monitor/screen

Can confirm, the wrapper works fine out of the box after that command is run; can't see any graphical or performance differences from my perspective after about 5 minutes of playing but it may be better for others. You might want to open a new thread for your wrapper because I'm pretty sure it's going to get lost down here.

ah, okay. the graphical/performance improvements might be placebo on my part.

also, something unrelated that i noticed but might help others:

dotnet462 doesn't work (makes osu! complain about not being able to make a graphics context), you need to install dotnet40 for it to work (this is the one that the original wineskin uses). haven't tested other dotnet versions, but this was a pain point for me while trying to get my own wineskin working
bBob_21

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

here's what's different:

stuff that was fixed:

stuff that wasn't fixed:

2. multi monitor/screen

For the command part you should instead type this:

Because without the "/" behind the "!" it will say "-bash: !.app: event not found" and the command will not work
Launchpad

bBob_21 wrote:

Because without the "\" behind the "!" it will say "-bash: !.app: event not found" and the command will not work

thanks for the tip, edited original post
bBob_21

slc wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

Because without the "\" behind the "!" it will say "-bash: !.app: event not found" and the command will not work

I have a problem, usually in Techno's osu! I play with unlimited frames giving me 240fps and small ms but choosing unlimited limits me to only 120fps and the ms is larger than my usual. Bug?

I know you can change the universal offset but I want to be consistent. I also would prefer 240fps over 120fps

EDIT:
I found a solution! Just copy all the text in osu!.COMPUTERUSERNAME.cfg file (Right click osu! and click 'Show Package Contents > drive_c > osu! > the file) from Techno's osu! to slc's osu! then you should be able to play in 240 fps and with all of your old settings.
Note: I haven't test for any bugs yet. I recommend making a backup of the file before you edit just in case
Meloncake
Hello!

As someone who is interested in beatmapping, I dropped an MP3 file and loaded up the song. But turns out the Song Setup will not work. A bar appears with "Song Setup" but the options for it will simply not load, leaving an empty black background. I exit the song setup and am able to compose, design, and time the beatmap, but song setup itself will not work. Setting up the song is indeed an important aspect, so I was hoping there was a fix?

I tried another MP3 file and the same issue occured. Song Setup will not work even on beatmaps that aren't my own.

I hope someone here knows a fix for this.

Thank you!
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Meloncake

It's unfortunate but this problem arises when your computer is updated to Mojave. If you're desperate to get the song setup window you can try using the official Alpha Release (http://osuosx.tumblr.com) or reenabling XQuartz temporarily. Follow the steps for the section "Help! My game won't open and/or opens this program called XQuartz!" in my guide: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/679205 but in reverse.
Paydru

slc wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

every time i enter the command in terminal, it says xattr: No such file. I have no idea what i am doing wrong
bBob_21

Rigtu wrote:

slc wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

every time i enter the command in terminal, it says xattr: No such file. I have no idea what i am doing wrong

Did you use the correct slash after "osu" and before "!"? It's this one \. If that doesn't fix it then you may be putting in the wrong path. It should look something like this:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "/Users/YOURMACNAME/Desktop/osu\!.app"

If you want to get the path to your file(in this case your osu) then just select your file and click Option+Command+C and the path should be copied to your clipboard
Paydru

bBob_21 wrote:

Rigtu wrote:

slc wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

Did you use the correct slash after "osu" and before "!"? It's this one \. If that doesn't fix it then you may be putting in the wrong path. It should look something like this:

If you want to get the path to your file(in this case your osu) then just select your file and click Option+Command+C and the path should be copied to your clipboard
https://puu.sh/CuCn5/4aecdbb224.png this is what keeps on happening. i tried it a bunch of time and its all the same.i tried changing the paths several times and it keeps saying the same thing and idk what to do :/
bBob_21

Rigtu wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

Rigtu wrote:

slc wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

https://puu.sh/CuCn5/4aecdbb224.png this is what keeps on happening. i tried it a bunch of time and its all the same.i tried changing the paths several times and it keeps saying the same thing and idk what to do :/

I'm unsure but can you try to remove the " " in the path?
Paydru

bBob_21 wrote:

Rigtu wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

Rigtu wrote:

slc wrote:

bBob_21 wrote:

I'm unsure but can you try to remove the " " in the path?
some stuff showed saying operation not permitted but it ended up working fine. thanks a lot for your help :)
https://puu.sh/Cv6Xv/2c3d169afb.png
Kirito6554
When I try to change the difficulty of beatmaps that is shown, through options -> song select, it does not work. For example if I increase the minimum from 0 to 4.16 and keep the max at 10+, it still displays it.

Edit: I found out that it works for only some maps but not for others.

Last edit: restarting the app multiple times seems to have made it work. Apparently restarting once wasn't enough.
Sw33tS0urC4ndy
When I enter to Edit mode the Song Setup window (or any other window) does not appear, just the Song Setup thing above. Sorry for my bad English
Himajin1
When I open the game, the texts seems to be just squares and I can't see/read the texts on places like the options, how do I fix this?
zodiacstyx
I just download and unzip the file.
I drag the icon to the desktop and right click the icon waiting for "welcome to OSU"
but when the updated from 10% to 80% it's ok,in the next the update loop from the 1% to 70% then stop and always loop again and again.

It's so crazy...

I was delete all the file and re-download but still the case.
I'm so helpless,please help me with my macbook pro 2018 and OSU...thanks in advance.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
zodiacstyx

zodiacstyx wrote:

I just download and unzip the file.
I drag the icon to the desktop and right click the icon waiting for "welcome to OSU"
but when the updated from 10% to 80% it's ok,in the next the update loop from the 1% to 70% then stop and always loop again and again.

It's so crazy...

I was delete all the file and re-download but still the case.
I'm so helpless,please help me with my macbook pro 2018 and OSU...thanks in advance.

Please post the contents of the update log in a Pastebin (osu! > Show Package Contents > drive_c > osu! > Logs)
darsparx
I think I'm having issues too, I redownloaded(because I screwed up and didn't realize I hit compatibility mode somehow)and it's now having input lag issues. I'm not even sure how but yeah, since I typically make it much further in a map I'm having trouble playing now....it's like it's not recognizing my Z and X inputs everytime I press them

Apparently "turn off mouse buttons during gameplay" got flipped to off somehow....idk how but yeah it did. (do people even play with that on in the first place? because I've never seen it in any vid I've ever watched)
hi_nepnep
So my osu got locked up...how do I unlock it? Anyone knows? For MacOs
darsparx

hi_nepnep wrote:

So my osu got locked up...how do I unlock it? Anyone knows? For MacOs

Same here, I think it might be a mojave bug if you've upgraded to that from what I can tell. Not even sure, it worked fine for me for a week and a half and now nothing. Trying to see if maybe I can find a more updated version of wineskin I guess? From what I can tell the latest version listed on what I think is the "official" site is what came before mojave. Not sure why but yeah...

Edit: not sure how, but got it open by pressing alt and clicking on it....guess it works now somehow...

Edit 2: and now was somehow able to get wineskin to open(the little app inside of osu on mac since that's what osu is here) and updated the wrapper. Highly recommend and hope someone manages to do it officially as a tie over until lazer comes out. The wrapper used is apparently ancient by mac standards since being Apple it seems like wine breaks every update to the point I've given up personally doing it myself because it seems so pointless at this point...(and I've never had luck getting apps up and running without the help of crossover or in this case the person who wrapped this originally)
Ramza-San
Not here to express problems or concerns, i've been running just fine on a modded late 2011 iMac Desktop.
I wanted to say thank you for continuing to support mac users and for helping all these people with their problems. I haven't played in over 5 years because of the old version that broke and went unfixed for a while, and I'm glad to see that after all these years that people are still helping Mac users for Osu!. You have my sincerest gratitude.
ItsTee_old
in the video tutorial, you said that you needed to rightclick and click "Open" when opening osu.

Do you need to do this every time you open or just the first time?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

OfficialTNT wrote:

in the video tutorial, you said that you needed to rightclick and click "Open" when opening osu.

Do you need to do this every time you open or just the first time?

You should only have to do this once. Generally speaking, once you get it working, it won't break again.
GLR9GT
Okay, I have a new problem. I followed all the steps and when I try to open it the updater doesn't show up. I also didn't double click the icon. Osu used to work after I updated to Mojave but I turned on one of the settings in osu and it made my game crash. I am trying to reinstall but nothing is working.
neppp
The game says that it needs an update and it is not optimized. I do not know why it says that and it's not updating from OSU launcher.
Topic Starter
Technocoder

GLR9GT wrote:

Okay, I have a new problem. I followed all the steps and when I try to open it the updater doesn't show up. I also didn't double click the icon. Osu used to work after I updated to Mojave but I turned on one of the settings in osu and it made my game crash. I am trying to reinstall but nothing is working.

It sounds like you may have enabled compatibility mode; If this is the case, Right click osu! > Show Package Contents > drive_c > osu! > Open osu!.(name).cfg and change CompatibilityContext = 1 to CompatibilityContext = 0

Kalebloganwer wrote:

The game says that it needs an update and it is not optimized. I do not know why it says that and it's not updating from OSU launcher.

Ignore the message, macOS is simply saying that 32 bit applications will not run in a future version of macOS. If the updater doesn't launch, right click osu! and click Open again.
BadSonic208
Hi! I've been trying to fix this issue for a while now, but whenever I try to extract the .zip file in the link, it takes a substantial amount of time and usually ends up with saying that the zip file was either:

too long, says that it has downloaded for far too long or says that there were files that were unable to be extracted due to an error.

I used the default apps that were in the link/Google Drive to extract (CloudConverter, Zip Extractor and Zip, Unzip)
https://gyazo.com/505284a3338528a8b92dc35e653475bb
but each one of them says that the files were unable to be extracted due to an error, too long or took too long to download.

^ Is there any way for me to fix this problem? Thanks! (sorry for the long post)
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Arturo10170

Arturo10170 wrote:

Hi! I've been trying to fix this issue for a while now, but whenever I try to extract the .zip file in the link, it takes a substantial amount of time and usually ends up with saying that the zip file was either:

too long, says that it has downloaded for far too long or says that there were files that were unable to be extracted due to an error.

I used the default apps that were in the link/Google Drive to extract (CloudConverter, Zip Extractor and Zip, Unzip) but each one of them says that the files were unable to be extracted due to an error, too long or took too long to download.

^ Is there any way for me to fix this problem? Thanks! (sorry for the long post)

Default apps to extract? I've never heard of any of them. Are you using an app inside your browser to extract the zip file? If so, the zip file maybe too large for those apps to handle. You need to download the zip file itself to your Downloads folder and then extract them from there (using for example The Unarchiver [from the Appstore] or with Archive Utility)
BadSonic208
Hi! Using an app in the app store to extract it worked and extracted it in such a fast time! However, when I tried to open the app, it wouldn't open, will just bounce or say that it cannot be opened.
https://gyazo.com/94076ab1a0391e10f807f98fcd5b056b (please look at this image)
Also, when I opened osu!-1(which came from the .zip file), it produced the black screen above. I tried using the .zip file to make a new osu! file (osu!-2) but osu!-2 didn't work as well. Am I doing anything wrong or did I just miss a step? Thanks!
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Arturo10170

Arturo10170 wrote:

Hi! Using an app in the app store to extract it worked and extracted it in such a fast time! However, when I tried to open the app, it wouldn't open, will just bounce or say that it cannot be opened.
https://gyazo.com/94076ab1a0391e10f807f98fcd5b056b (please look at this image)
Also, when I opened osu!-1(which came from the .zip file), it produced the black screen above. I tried using the .zip file to make a new osu! file (osu!-2) but osu!-2 didn't work as well. Am I doing anything wrong or did I just miss a step? Thanks!

Ensure you have:
  1. Followed the steps to install osu! exactly. Literally down to each individual action (or alternatively follow my video)
  2. Checked everything in the troubleshooting section
  3. See the osu! or Wineskin will not open! section of my guide: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/679205

If it still doesn't work, please provide your macOS version and what model your computer is (like the year of making)
Kabaneri
Hi! I've been trying to download Osu! again but am struggling quite a bit. My Mac is running on Mojave. Even when I updated Wineskin I get the same error message when I try to open Osu! saying it's damaged and can't be opened + I should move it to the Trash. What to do.. ;_;
+ When I try inputting commands into Terminal, I continually get "event not found."
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Kabaneri

Kabaneri wrote:

Hi! I've been trying to download Osu! again but am struggling quite a bit. My Mac is running on Mojave. Even when I updated Wineskin I get the same error message when I try to open Osu! saying it's damaged and can't be opened + I should move it to the Trash. What to do.. ;_;
+ When I try inputting commands into Terminal, I continually get "event not found."

Please clarify what program you are using to unzip the zip file. Some extractors may not extract the file properly. The Unarchiver (available from the App Store) and Archive Utility are known to work pretty well.
Please copy and paste *exactly* what command you are typing in (or better yet, paste a screenshot).
JSR_Gaming_x
Wow! Yasss thankyou!!!!!!!!
Allc
I can't edit any beatmaps because none of the pop up screens work... sad, I wanted to try learning how to make beatmaps
Keiga

Allc wrote:

I can't edit any beatmaps because none of the pop up screens work... sad, I wanted to try learning how to make beatmaps

It's a little more difficult, but it's possible to map on Mac. Just impossibly hard to hitsound and also a lot more annoying. (The hitsounding part is why I always have to go to a hitsounding queue...)

For the Song Setup, spam your keyboard and then tap once on where the popup should be before hitting enter. The screen should then show properly. Whatever you type will have gone into the Artist textbox though, so make sure you delete that before saving anything.
Note: When first creating a song, just click enter. This won't work until you're actually in the editor.

For Timing Points, this one does its job normally about once in a blue moon where the popup would actually show properly. I've learnt to just do CTRL + SHIFT + P in order to set an Inherited Timing Point (green thing). Once you do that, the timing window will open and the timing point will be added. Remember to delete the timing points you don't want though. (I think the popup opens normally the first time you ever click it, so you could use that to set offset first.)

Meanwhile, if you're looking to use the window options for things like setting your preview point, just hover/tap on the top-right part of your osu! (black section of the screen). It should open, and you can just move your cursor left/right to go to different sections.

About setting background images and videos, when the popup appears, click on the green icon to maximize/minimize it. Then the window should show up.

When you want to exit/test your map and the save prompt pops up, just tap enter - it'll save. If you don't want to save, you'll have to force-quit your osu!, so be careful.

You're going to have to do all of this every single time you want to work with the popups. Just takes a bit more time. It's worked decently well for me so far - though it crashes once in a long while (at least on fullscreen). Hopefully this helps you.

If you need any other help, you can give me a forum PM through the old system. ^^;

(Hopefully this gets fixed soon lol)
JSR_Gaming_x
Jamie
Waverick
you could make a religion out of th-

no, don't
show more