forum

Acc vs Combo

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
What are your thoughts on steep acc curve vs combo?

Ok so let's take the acc of a map when you have one miss and the rest 300, say 99.67%. Let's make up some more numbers and say that makes a play go from 780pp to 690pp. Now let's base it on acc instead of combo. Let's make an acc curve that matches the acc for the combo curve: 100% would then be 780pp, 99.67% is 690pp, the next point will be the equivalent acc for 2 misses, and so on.

As you can see, you would still need an FC for an impressive play. So why not acc?
DeletedUser_6869432
The main argument is that without opinion scaling off of combo it wouldn’t be as “hype” for long songs towards the end. It’s so ingrained in osu! culture it’s never gonna be changed at this point, but at least lazed is gonna give a bit more weight to acc.
im flat
combo > acc
Topic Starter
abraker

kacper124 wrote:

The main argument is that without opinion scaling off of combo it wouldn’t be as “hype” for long songs towards the end
What do you mean by this? The same reduction in pp would correspond to an even smaller acc difference, say from 100% FC to 99.92% 1 miss.
Seat Ibiza TDI
It should be in the middle, acc is important, but combo is also a main part of the game.
Juuuuuuuuul
This remind me my last multiplayer session, on a map i literally spammed on the streams without caring at all about accuracy, finnished with a crappy 89% but still won because of combo.
In my opinion, acc need a little buff.
DeletedUser_6869432

abraker wrote:

What do you mean by this? The same reduction in pp would correspond to an even smaller acc difference, say from 100% FC to 99.92% 1 miss.

I’m gonna change my statement and just say that bad players don’t want their 80% DT scores to suffer.
im flat

kacper124 wrote:

abraker wrote:

I’m gonna change my statement and just say that bad players don’t want their 80% DT scores to suffer.

yeah bro my bill nye hrdt 80% fc is epic
Edgar_Figaro
Imo combo is irrelevant, but I will agree number of misses should be relevant. I just think unless we have a way of weighting misses vs difficulty point in a song that miss count makes the most sense.
Topic Starter
abraker
We can buff misses in the acc formula:

For example, multiply the miss count by 50. Here play around with the resultant accs here

kacper124 wrote:

Boom, done! You can have your pleasures. Just increase the scores of the 50's and 200's to be higher, but still make misses brutal.
Topic Starter
abraker
Still waiting for reply . . .
Vuelo Eluko
star diff and subsequent pp is determined primarily by star rating which accounts for every object but gets the lion share of its rating from a rather small chunk of it, the 'peak strain'. Essentially star rating is meant to determine how hard it is to hit every object, to make that matter less would be bad for standard, where acc is already considered the 'easy part' most of the time with relatively large hit windows and simplistic kind of tapping. I hardly even consider it a rhythm game to be frank, I can turn off the music and get about the same acc on most maps.

Combo > all
Topic Starter
abraker

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

star diff and subsequent pp is determined primarily by star rating
what's the difference between star diff and star rating???

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Essentially star rating is meant to determine how hard it is to hit every object, to make that matter less would be bad for standard, where acc is already considered the 'easy part' most of the time with relatively large hit windows and simplistic kind of tapping
The point is to tune acc curve so it results in same star rating - which means that note misses should affect the final result as much as with acc system as with combo system.
Vuelo Eluko
and i dont think acc is as important as combo.. if anything it's already overweighted.
OneTrueDuceOK
In terms of score and pp, combo is more important

In terms of improving your skills, combo = consistency, acc = rhythm and control (if you can tap at the level of the map)
Topic Starter
abraker
You are not understanding what I am trying to explain.

Acc can be made to work like combo

but combo's one main flaw is that a miss in the middle has more impact than any other section in the map

why should some section of the map be worth more than any other section?
Vuelo Eluko
because you couldnt even hold combo for half the map, the name of the game is consistency. If you 300x combo a 600x combo map you didn't go as long as a 500x combo player without making a mistake.
Topic Starter
abraker
how about making it so one miss is worth anywhere across the map same?

a miss anywhere would have as much impact as in middle

still a consistency game
Vuelo Eluko
Depends on perspective I guess, I see it as a person who broke halfway in only fc'd 2 maps each half as long as someone who instead missed at the very end. I think holding a bigger combo is harder to do but then I have a habit of missing exactly in the middle of a map.
Full Tablet
The average penalty from combo breaks (assuming all circles are equally likely to cause a break) compared to a full combo, is a multiplier that is roughly equal to (simplifying by assuming the map is long enough for the score to be predominantly quadratic with combo rather than linear):

Score = FC_Score * 2/(2+number_of_combo_breaks)

And assuming the average osu! standard map has around 500 objects, then the accuracy formula should multiply the miss count by about 250 in order to make not missing objects in the acc% formula as important as it is in the score formula.
Juuuuuuuuul

abraker wrote:

how about making it so one miss is worth anywhere across the map same?

a miss anywhere would have as much impact as in middle

still a consistency game
i totally agree.