forum

how the fuck do people get good at OD10

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Brainage
Serious question.

In particular, 180-220bpm streams over 16 notes long.
Sosteneshion
I am also curious! 🤔
KupcaH
They play more
N0thingSpecial
I honestly wonder how people can play more to be consistent, have such great rhythm sense, finger control and stamina to perform OD 10 long stream.

It’s like they practised for it or something but it’s not something I can 100% pin point if that’s the way to gain said skillset
KupcaH

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I honestly wonder how people can play more to be consistent, have such great rhythm sense, finger control and stamina to perform OD 10 long stream.

It’s like they practised for it or something but it’s not something I can 100% pin point if that’s the way to gain said skillset
Blame genes
UnnamedBeast
genetics
Full Tablet
OD10 is the same as other OD values, it is just that the scale used to measure your acc% value changes (you can consider getting a certain value of accuracy percentage at a certain OD the same as getting other percentage at another OD).
Arbusion
play more

or just have good genetics
Eni
Low latency and ping pong hitsounds :P
Vuelo Eluko

Arbusion wrote:

play more

or just have good genetics
yeah "or", because good genetics means you dont have to play at all and bam u r cookiezi
Ayesha Altugle
at least get 99% consistently on OD>9
Akanagi
The short answer would be: Play more

Long answer:

First of all, stop looking at OD/Accuracy like it's its own kind of skill. It's not.
Higher OD punishes your mistakes more than lower ODs, and Accuracy is just a product of all your actual skills (Finger control, speed, reading etc).

For example, I'm fairly sure that a good majority of people in the range of 1-10000 rank would actually be able to get 99%+ Accuracy on a map like Shiawase with an OD10.3 value, because the map and rhythm is very simple. It's a bunch of 1/2 notes that are all scattered around your most comfortable area (all near center, none at the edges of the playfield).
On the other hand, https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1430354&m=0 best nomod acc for some AR7,6 128BPM fingercontrol map is 93%. If you could get good an OD, you would get 99% regardless of map.

You spend the majority of your osu playtime singletapping 1/2 notes around 170-200BPM and AR9+. Over time you get better, and that's why these 1/2 >174BPM maps are so easy to acc even with an OD of ~10. You can see the current pp meta reflect that. Fairly simple maps and patterns and an OD of 9,4+ because everyone can singletap and read these maps.

So in itself you can't really pinpoint things that are harder on OD10, but looking at the average player, playing OD10 is "harder" on maps with blue tick rhythms, low BPM, low AR, awkward patterns, even numbered bursts and are hard to read in general.
Lower AR means the note is active for a longer time, so the hitwindow on percentage is way smaller than an OD10, making it harder.
Lower BPM has more time between each beat, which makes it harder to gauge the right timing, since there are "more timings" compared to something like 240BPM where the timewindows for streams are closer together, and also each beat is way closer, so it's much easier to stay on beat. These are the only values I'd say make it universally harder for every player, while other things like finger control might appear hard to one player, but not the other.

OD10 on x-encounter is infinitely "harder" than playing Shiawase HR. Not because OD10 is hard, but because your skillset is probably not sufficient enough to read the map and have the fingercontrol and rhythm to play the patterns on it. Again, OD only makes stuff more punishing and reveals your flaws more the higher it gets.
Also, higher OD gets easier the higher the BPM gets, as long as you have the speed for the specific BPM since there are shorter breaks between each beat which makes staying on beat more natural, opposed to playing something like (real) 70BPM where your inner metronome needs to be really good.

Streaming on OD10 isn't actually as hard as you'd think. Streaming ultimately is just a bunch of 1/4, just like jumps/singletapping is just a bunch of 1/2. Both are extremely simple rhythms.
The reason why OD10 streaming appears to be so hard to you is probably because you can't stream. Maybe because you lack the fingercontrol or stamina for it. To be honest in that case it doesn't matter if a stream is OD10 or OD8, you will get lots of 100s and 50s regardless since you'll fall behind or fingerlock at a certain point.

Just forget about OD as a value or some kind of magical skill. There are certain things that can make it easier like higher ARs and high BPM, but overall you just gotta play XYZ more to get better at XYZ. You don't practice OD, you practice the things that are in an OD10 map to be able to SS it.
In your case, just learn to stream at those BPM ranges, do it often enough until you internalize the BPM better and better and ultimately it will just feel natural to you and you won't notice the high OD at all.

To give you the same example again. Look at your best skill, which is probably singletapping medium to high BPM, then edit some 190-220 BPM AR9,5 singletap map to OD10 and you'll see that you suddenly can "play" OD10.

It's because singletapping probably makes up 85% of your playtime, while streaming is a skill that only really is required on certain 4* maps and that really starts to appear more and more on 5* or higher, so on average you have way less playtime on streams and that's why you can't acc them yet on higher ODs, or maybe can't play them at all.

People like Idke or Cookiezi can play OD10 streams because they have like 300+ tries on each stream map there is, up to 900 for a guy like Idke.
They just dedicated lots of playtime on stream maps and ultimately improved at those. Do the same and in a year or two OD10 streams will be a non-issue for you aswell, but a guy like idke would probably still get bad acc on Mikazuki because the required skillset is different.

@Guy above me
Getting 99% acc on OD9 is completely useless. It just depends on the type of map. Get 100% on random pp map with HR and you'll still end up with 85% acc on x-encounter and fanzhens Mikazuki. It's getting good at the required skillset for a map that counts. Again, Acc/OD are not a skill in any way and just a product of your skills.

You wouldn't advise someone to just "fc more maps" so they can improve at fcing 9* maps, would you? It's the same thing with acc.
Edit: No, consistency isn't a skill either.
loveleft
^ very very good answer
N0thingSpecial

Rayne wrote:

That’s all you had to say, this guy is not playing x-encounter anytime soon, nor will he enjoy it.

Under this context he’s most likely referring to HR modifier so 2/3 of your post is basically meaningless, sounding like a smart ass doesn’t make your advice any better than “play more”
Vuelo Eluko

Shizuku- wrote:

at least get 99% consistently on OD>9
personally i feel like od9 at my comfort bpm of around 170-190 isn't too hard to acc but od10 suddenly is a nightmare of nonstop 100's. They seem close on paper but it doesn't feel that way. Might just be me or my setup
im flat

Rayne wrote:

Long answer:

First of all, stop looking at OD/Accuracy like it's its own kind of skill. It's not.
Higher OD punishes your mistakes more than lower ODs, and Accuracy is just a product of all your actual skills (Finger control, speed, reading etc).

For example, I'm fairly sure that a good majority of people in the range of 1-10000 rank would actually be able to get 99%+ Accuracy on a map like Shiawase with an OD10.3 value, because the map and rhythm is very simple. It's a bunch of 1/2 notes that are all scattered around your most comfortable area (all near center, none at the edges of the playfield).
On the other hand, https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1430354&m=0 best nomod acc for some AR7,6 128BPM fingercontrol map is 93%. If you could get good an OD, you would get 99% regardless of map.

You spend the majority of your osu playtime singletapping 1/2 notes around 170-200BPM and AR9+. Over time you get better, and that's why these 1/2 >174BPM maps are so easy to acc even with an OD of ~10. You can see the current pp meta reflect that. Fairly simple maps and patterns and an OD of 9,4+ because everyone can singletap and read these maps.

So in itself you can't really pinpoint things that are harder on OD10, but looking at the average player, playing OD10 is "harder" on maps with blue tick rhythms, low BPM, low AR, awkward patterns, even numbered bursts and are hard to read in general.
Lower AR means the note is active for a longer time, so the hitwindow on percentage is way smaller than an OD10, making it harder.
Lower BPM has more time between each beat, which makes it harder to gauge the right timing, since there are "more timings" compared to something like 240BPM where the timewindows for streams are closer together, and also each beat is way closer, so it's much easier to stay on beat. These are the only values I'd say make it universally harder for every player, while other things like finger control might appear hard to one player, but not the other.

OD10 on x-encounter is infinitely "harder" than playing Shiawase HR. Not because OD10 is hard, but because your skillset is probably not sufficient enough to read the map and have the fingercontrol and rhythm to play the patterns on it. Again, OD only makes stuff more punishing and reveals your flaws more the higher it gets.
Also, higher OD gets easier the higher the BPM gets, as long as you have the speed for the specific BPM since there are shorter breaks between each beat which makes staying on beat more natural, opposed to playing something like (real) 70BPM where your inner metronome needs to be really good.

Streaming on OD10 isn't actually as hard as you'd think. Streaming ultimately is just a bunch of 1/4, just like jumps/singletapping is just a bunch of 1/2. Both are extremely simple rhythms.
The reason why OD10 streaming appears to be so hard to you is probably because you can't stream. Maybe because you lack the fingercontrol or stamina for it. To be honest in that case it doesn't matter if a stream is OD10 or OD8, you will get lots of 100s and 50s regardless since you'll fall behind or fingerlock at a certain point.

Just forget about OD as a value or some kind of magical skill. There are certain things that can make it easier like higher ARs and high BPM, but overall you just gotta play XYZ more to get better at XYZ. You don't practice OD, you practice the things that are in an OD10 map to be able to SS it.
In your case, just learn to stream at those BPM ranges, do it often enough until you internalize the BPM better and better and ultimately it will just feel natural to you and you won't notice the high OD at all.

To give you the same example again. Look at your best skill, which is probably singletapping medium to high BPM, then edit some 190-220 BPM AR9,5 singletap map to OD10 and you'll see that you suddenly can "play" OD10.

It's because singletapping probably makes up 85% of your playtime, while streaming is a skill that only really is required on certain 4* maps and that really starts to appear more and more on 5* or higher, so on average you have way less playtime on streams and that's why you can't acc them yet on higher ODs, or maybe can't play them at all.

People like Idke or Cookiezi can play OD10 streams because they have like 300+ tries on each stream map there is, up to 900 for a guy like Idke.
They just dedicated lots of playtime on stream maps and ultimately improved at those. Do the same and in a year or two OD10 streams will be a non-issue for you aswell, but a guy like idke would probably still get bad acc on Mikazuki because the required skillset is different.

@Guy above me
Getting 99% acc on OD9 is completely useless. It just depends on the type of map. Get 100% on random pp map with HR and you'll still end up with 85% acc on x-encounter and fanzhens Mikazuki. It's getting good at the required skillset for a map that counts. Again, Acc/OD are not a skill in any way and just a product of your skills.

You wouldn't advise someone to just "fc more maps" so they can improve at fcing 9* maps, would you? It's the same thing with acc.

perfect answer thanks homie
Chintam

Rayne wrote:

Long answer:

@Guy above me

So basically, this is a case of being comfortable in a wide range of rythmn and map types.
Do you have any more rhythmically complex maps you could recommend?

Edit: now that I actually played mizauki a few times. The reason why this map is hard is because it's so hard to read with the stacked circles. The rythmn falls quite strongly on the drum beat so it's not too hard to follow. The unfamiliarity with the slow bpm and low ar is what's making it hard for me.
C15U
I guess they play HR?
dazz
abraker
OD10 is doable with lots of practice
Edgar_Figaro

loveleft wrote:

^ very very good answer

It would be but it oversimplifies things and is overall false. This is much more obvious to people that play Taiko than Standard but accuracy is indeed a skill. I know alot of players that are able to play much faster or much more technical patterns than other players but with lower ACC.

In Taiko since it’s not a combo gamr you’ll see alot of really good players that will be able to almost SS maps but screw up on certain patterns which they aren’t familiar with. While other players can FC almost anything but won’t SS unless the OD is super low.

Also I almost exclusively play HR and even for maps I am completely comfortable if the OD is high enough it’ll still drop my ACC.

Which if the statement of “it only shows your weaknesses” was true than apparently I still suck at 4* OD10 PP farm maps when I can get better ACC on 7* OD8.4 maps.

Sure awkward rythmns and uncomfortable BPM are a large aspect of accuracy but discounting natural rythmicality of a player is dumb. UR exists for a reason.