forum

Help in buying keyboard.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amayui
Hello! Recently my cheap mechanical keyboard on kailh black started double tapping and im looking for a new one with better quality. I was thinking about such keyboards like Leopold FC 750, CM Masterkeys Pro S, CM, CMStorm QuickFire RAPID-I, Ducky One 2 and even Varmilo Sakura. I wish to get a keyboard which wont break after 2 years of use and im pretty confused which one I should pick.
DeletedUser_6869432
I Use the Ducky One 2 and I love it so id recommend that one
Topic Starter
Amayui

kacper124 wrote:

I Use the Ducky One 2 and I love it so id recommend that one

Which switches you use? Im considering Red, Brown and Silver ones but a lot of people are saying that Silvers can be sometimes tap randomly, Reds are too scratchy and Browns arent really that tacticle so im just confused what im supposed to buy then.
DeletedUser_6869432

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Which switches you use? Im considering Red, Brown and Silver ones but a lot of people are saying that Silvers can be sometimes tap randomly, Reds are too scratchy and Browns arent really that tacticle so im just confused what im supposed to buy then.

I use browns but that's mainly because 1)I've been using them for 5 years and 2)I hate how loud red switches are. I would just stick with the switches that you had in the old keyboard because it's really just personal preference aside from the actuation points. Blues are also really good from what i've heard so you might want to look into those.
Topic Starter
Amayui

kacper124 wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

I use browns but that's mainly because 1)I've been using them for 5 years and 2)I hate how loud red switches are. I would just stick with the switches that you had in the old keyboard because it's really just personal preference aside from the actuation points. Blues are also really good from what i've heard so you might want to look into those.

Well I had/have kailh Black and I dont want blacks anymore so its pretty hard to pick.
TruthIsNear
I have Varmilo VA108M with MX Speed Silvers and Ducky One 2 Mini with MX Browns.
IMO Varmilo has better quality and I also really like the Cherry profile textured keycaps it has. And for a full size keyboard I would definitely go with Varmilo. It costs more than Ducky One 2 tho.

However, if the size doesn't really matter, Ducky One 2 Mini is a really good 60% board for it's price and is packed with features. It's also really light, so it's a good choice if you want to carry your keyboard around.

As for the switches, I prefer Silvers. Browns feel like they use more stamina because of the tactile bump.
Tad Fibonacci
I'm using the CM storm quickfire tk with Cherry Blue switch.
I've used it for nearly 2 years now and it's still working perfectly and the build quality is really good for it's price so I recommend getting it.

Funny I used to also have a cheap mechanical keyboard with Kalih blue switch that also had double click in less than a year of use.

Also I heard Leopold keyboards are awesome but they all seems to be on the pricey side.
Topic Starter
Amayui
CM Storm Quickfire is pretty hard to get, and when its avaible prices are 150$< so its even more expensive than Varmilo, atleast in my country, so basically I will just list prices and maybe it will be easier to decide:
-CM Masterkeys Pro S 130$ (problems with avaibility of non-LED versions so thats LED price)
-Varmilo VA87M Sakura 140$
-CM Quickfire Rapid-I 110$
-CM Quickfire (?) Not avaible
-Ducky One 2 100$
Implojin

TruthIsNear wrote:

IMO Varmilo has better quality and I also really like the Cherry profile textured keycaps it has. And for a full size keyboard I would definitely go with Varmilo. It costs more than Ducky One 2 tho.

Seconding the praise for Varmilo's keycaps here - I have a Miya Sakura* (+browns) and the texture of the keycaps is much nicer than those that came with my Ducky One (+silvers).

*(This board is built by Varmilo even though it's sold under Ducky branding)

In my opinion, the build quality of the Ducky One is well above the Sakura. With the Varmilo you lose hardware key rebinds/macros, the case edges aren't chamfered and it just feels cheaper, and I've had issues with repeat keypresses failing to register on the Varmilo that I didn't have with the Ducky. (This feels to me like it could be a Varmilo firmware debounce issue.)

@ OP: Between Leopold/Varmilo/Ducky, you probably won't be going wrong with any of them.
7ambda
Get a GK64 for hotswappable switches.
Topic Starter
Amayui

J_8579 wrote:

Get a GK64 for hotswappable switches.

GK64 cost around 155$ and that's for TKL which look like 60% tho https://kbdfans.cn/products/gk64-mechanical-keyboard-64key
Tad Fibonacci

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

CM Storm Quickfire is pretty hard to get, and when its avaible prices are 150$< so its even more expensive than Varmilo, atleast in my country
Huh, I guess I was lucky to get the CM storm quickfire then.
I only got it for like 65$ at a store.
Topic Starter
Amayui

Implojin wrote:

TruthIsNear wrote:

Seconding the praise for Varmilo's keycaps here - I have a Miya Sakura* (+browns) and the texture of the keycaps is much nicer than those that came with my Ducky One (+silvers).

*(This board is built by Varmilo even though it's sold under Ducky branding)

In my opinion, the build quality of the Ducky One is well above the Sakura. With the Varmilo you lose hardware key rebinds/macros, the case edges aren't chamfered and it just feels cheaper, and I've had issues with repeat keypresses failing to register on the Varmilo that I didn't have with the Ducky. (This feels to me like it could be a Varmilo firmware debounce issue.)

@ OP: Between Leopold/Varmilo/Ducky, you probably won't be going wrong with any of them.

Well I can finally respond you and I have a question, every Varmilo VA87M have such an issue with keypressed or it was only a problem with your certain model? And thats first time I hear that Ducky have better build quality, you talk only about case or everything?
Implojin

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Well I can finally respond you and I have a question, every Varmilo VA87M have such an issue with keypressed or it was only a problem with your certain model?

I don't know, it could just be my board. (The Miya is a VA68M.)

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

And thats first time I hear that Ducky have better build quality, you talk only about case or everything?

Just the case and the firmware.

I think Ducky's firmware is better and the case of the old Ducky One is higher quality than the Miya. (I don't know how the current Ducky One 2 compares.) The Miya's USB connector sticks out from the back of the case, where on the Ducky One the USB connector is recessed so only the cord sticks out. The Miya's case bevel is lightly rounded, but the Ducky's case edges are chamfered the whole way around. The Miya's feet are little rubberized strips, where the Ducky's feet are this neat dual-height design where you can flip out one or the other depending how much of an angle you want the board to have. The Miya has a tendency to slip around my desk, where the Ducky didn't (part of this could be the size difference of VA68M to full-size, though). Ducky case design just has more thought put into it, all around.

But. Varmilo's keycaps are much higher quality. The keycaps on the Varmilo are beautiful, textured, and although I've been using them heavily, they might as well be brand new. Ducky's keycaps don't have the same texture (they're much smoother), and my stock Ducky One caps eventually developed cracked stems (I had to replace them).

Despite everything I wrote above about the Ducky One, I prefer using the Miya Sakura -- I really like this keyboard.
Topic Starter
Amayui

Implojin wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Well I can finally respond you and I have a question, every Varmilo VA87M have such an issue with keypressed or it was only a problem with your certain model?

I don't know, it could just be my board. (The Miya is a VA68M.)

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

And thats first time I hear that Ducky have better build quality, you talk only about case or everything?

Just the case and the firmware.

I think Ducky's firmware is better and the case of the old Ducky One is higher quality than the Miya. (I don't know how the current Ducky One 2 compares.) The Miya's USB connector sticks out from the back of the case, where on the Ducky One the USB connector is recessed so only the cord sticks out. The Miya's case bevel is lightly rounded, but the Ducky's case edges are chamfered the whole way around. The Miya's feet are little rubberized strips, where the Ducky's feet are this neat dual-height design where you can flip out one or the other depending how much of an angle you want the board to have. The Miya has a tendency to slip around my desk, where the Ducky didn't (part of this could be the size difference of VA68M to full-size, though). Ducky case design just has more thought put into it, all around.

But. Varmilo's keycaps are much higher quality. The keycaps on the Varmilo are beautiful, textured, and although I've been using them heavily, they might as well be brand new. Ducky's keycaps don't have the same texture (they're much smoother), and my stock Ducky One caps eventually developed cracked stems (I had to replace them).

Despite everything I wrote above about the Ducky One, I prefer using the Miya Sakura -- I really like this keyboard.

Ohh, thanks so now I guess everything is clear, I dont think I will care about such a small aspects because im swapping from Genesis RX75 so it will feel like im in heaven anyways. I think I saw that theres an option to buy Varmilo with Gaterons, do you maybe know how they work? I heard that Kailh and Gaterons are smoother than Cherry but my Kailh Blacks are double tapping after 1,5 year of use and only 50 hours of osu so survivability of them is horrible. Im thinking between choosing Browns ,Reds and Silvers so rest of switches dont really matter for me.
Implojin
https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/
https://plot.ly/~haata#/

Input Club has writeups about most switches, plus force curves. The plot.ly site has force curves listed for many obscure switches. You can read the force curves to get an idea of how various switches feel when pressed.

Which switch to get is mostly preference. Tactile switches are nice for accuracy because they provide physical feedback around the moment the switch actuates, but top players have gotten good at osu using all kinds of switches.

re: Switch smoothness: You can always lube them. Osu is hard on the contact leaf for mx-style switches, so you'll see them failing earlier when playing this game than you would with just casual desktop use. Some exotic switch types can be more resistant to this, like hall effect switches, but most players worried about switch wear just get keyboards with swappable switches or spend less by getting a keypad instead.

(Something like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3482 , but there are cheaper options.)

If you don't know what kind of switch you want, maybe you have a local store where you can go to try some of them out?

I'm currently using mx browns, but if I build a keyboard for USB3/firmware reasons I'll probably use matias quiet clicks.
Topic Starter
Amayui

Implojin wrote:

https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/
https://plot.ly/~haata#/

Input Club has writeups about most switches, plus force curves. The plot.ly site has force curves listed for many obscure switches. You can read the force curves to get an idea of how various switches feel when pressed.

Which switch to get is mostly preference. Tactile switches are nice for accuracy because they provide physical feedback around the moment the switch actuates, but top players have gotten good at osu using all kinds of switches.

re: Switch smoothness: You can always lube them. Osu is hard on the contact leaf for mx-style switches, so you'll see them failing earlier when playing this game than you would with just casual desktop use. Some exotic switch types can be more resistant to this, like hall effect switches, but most players worried about switch wear just get keyboards with swappable switches or spend less by getting a keypad instead.

(Something like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3482 , but there are cheaper options.)

If you don't know what kind of switch you want, maybe you have a local store where you can go to try some of them out?

I'm currently using mx browns, but if I build a keyboard for USB3/firmware reasons I'll probably use matias quiet clicks.

Well I cant check switches out because in local shops they sell only Razer and membrane keyboards. If there isnt a way to change a switches in Varmilo VA87M then thats a huge problem because I dont feel like spending 140$ on a keyboard which can start double tapping after 3 years and I cant just buy 2 new switches to make it work again.
Implojin

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

and I cant just buy 2 new switches to make it work again.

Well, you can do this with any keyboard if you get comfortable with soldering. Obviously that's way less convenient than using a keyboard with swappable switch sockets already installed, but, y'know..
Brainage
Just buy a keypad with all the Cherry MX Switches so you can test out the ones you like the most. But if you want an actual keyboard to type with as well, I've been using the Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire for over 2 years now, haven't had a problem since the purchase. I use Cherry MX Speed Silver and honestly it's the only mechanical switches i've ever touched so I'm just used to them lol. They are good for playing osu! tho as the actuation distance is 1.2mm compared to 2mm and they weigh 45g instead of 50g, which means you can do things like hover streaming.
Topic Starter
Amayui

Brainage wrote:

Just buy a keypad with all the Cherry MX Switches so you can test out the ones you like the most. But if you want an actual keyboard to type with as well, I've been using the Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire for over 2 years now, haven't had a problem since the purchase. I use Cherry MX Speed Silver and honestly it's the only mechanical switches i've ever touched so I'm just used to them lol. They are good for playing osu! tho as the actuation distance is 1.2mm compared to 2mm and they weigh 45g instead of 50g, which means you can do things like hover streaming.

Problem is that cheapest switch testers with Browns, Reds and Silvers are going for 15 or even 20$ while im considering if its worth to pay 40$ more to get Varmilo or just get Ducky. I might check local shops today and see if there are any mechanical keyboards to try, even if they will be chinese I will know which switches will fit me. Are there keyboards with also good build quality but easily swapable switches?
TruthIsNear

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Are there keyboards with also good build quality but easily swapable switches?

The GK64 from KBDfans is the only good fully assembled keyboard with hot swap PCB you can get.
There is also the GMMK, but from what I've read about it, the build quality is not that good.

Alternatively, you can get each part individually, including a hot swap PCB like KBD6x or 1UP HSE, and build the keyboard yourself.

Both of those options would be more expensive than Varmilo or Ducky tho.

Don't worry about how your keyboard will perform after multiple years. In that time you will probably get a few more keyboards just because you want to, not because you need to.

Just get Varmilo if you want better keycaps (that board costs that much pretty much because of the keycaps), otherwise Ducky is also a good choice.
Topic Starter
Amayui

TruthIsNear wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Are there keyboards with also good build quality but easily swapable switches?

The GK64 from KBDfans is the only good fully assembled keyboard with hot swap PCB you can get.
There is also the GMMK, but from what I've read about it, the build quality is not that good.

Alternatively, you can get each part individually, including a hot swap PCB like KBD6x or 1UP HSE, and build the keyboard yourself.

Both of those options would be more expensive than Varmilo or Ducky tho.

Don't worry about how your keyboard will perform after multiple years. In that time you will probably get a few more keyboards just because you want to, not because you need to.

Just get Varmilo if you want better keycaps (that board costs that much pretty much because of the keycaps), otherwise Ducky is also a good choice.

I had a chance to try Brown Kailh(?) switches in RX85 but they felt a bit weird so if every other Brown Switch including Cherry works similiar then only choice for me is Red and Silver switch. Trust me, I wont want to spend another 150$ on keyboard after 2 years of use hah. I dont like GK64 for the fact that it cost 155$ and is just a small 60% keyboard and after checking how much only keycaps cost I know that building keyboard myself will be expensive. Im jsut scared that after 2 years I will already have to change switches in Varmilo what is probably pretty real.
PS: Where can I buy new switches for Varmilo? If I will buy just a normal ones they won't have LEDs
TruthIsNear

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

it cost 155$ and is just a small 60% keyboard

Don't underestimate 60% boards. They save you space on the desk, easy to transport and are just as functional as TKL and full size boards due to programmability. You can reassign every key as you wish and record macros. GK64 even has dedicated arrow keys in a 60% form factor.
Aside from that you also get nice keycaps, aluminium case, hot swap PCB and full customizable RGB. That's very much worth 155$ in my book.

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Where can I buy new switches for Varmilo? If I will buy just a normal ones they won't have LEDs

Varmilo Sakura has Plate Mount Cherry MX Switches, just like most other non-RGB boards. LEDs are connected to the PCB, not the switch.
Topic Starter
Amayui

TruthIsNear wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

it cost 155$ and is just a small 60% keyboard

Don't underestimate 60% boards. They save you space on the desk, easy to transport and are just as functional as TKL and full size boards due to programmability. You can reassign every key as you wish and record macros. GK64 even has dedicated arrow keys in a 60% form factor.
Aside from that you also get nice keycaps, aluminium case, hot swap PCB and full customizable RGB. That's very much worth 155$ in my book.

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Where can I buy new switches for Varmilo? If I will buy just a normal ones they won't have LEDs

Varmilo Sakura has Plate Mount Cherry MX Switches, just like most other non-RGB boards. LEDs are connected to the PCB, not the switch.

So these wait things on the side of the switches arent really part of switch but part of the rest of keyboard? And where can I buy 100% original and same switches?
Chintam
Your best bet is to get one of these so you can test all the flavour of switches: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler-x/dp/B01GZHU1EG

When looking at keyboards, cherry switches are your best bet, they last a really long time. I've had my CM storm keyboard for 6 years and it's still going strong. Stay away from razer, their quality control is absolute trash.

In term of what switches colour, you either get to choose between tactile vs non-tactile, and heavy vs light. I personally prefer tactile switches, despite the fact that non-tactile is marketed for gamers, as you are able to feel the actuation point of tactile switches. And of course, you want the lighter switches because then it requires less effort per keypress which means you will get less tired.
Topic Starter
Amayui

Chintam wrote:

Your best bet is to get one of these so you can test all the flavour of switches: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler-x/dp/B01GZHU1EG

When looking at keyboards, cherry switches are your best bet, they last a really long time. I've had my CM storm keyboard for 6 years and it's still going strong. Stay away from razer, their quality control is absolute trash.

In term of what switches colour, you either get to choose between tactile vs non-tactile, and heavy vs light. I personally prefer tactile switches, despite the fact that non-tactile is marketed for gamers, as you are able to feel the actuation point of tactile switches. And of course, you want the lighter switches because then it requires less effort per keypress which means you will get less tired.

The problem for me is the price, till now I was considering if its worth paying 40$ more for Varmilo than Ducky and im supposed to spend 14 pounds to check out switches, I already know that Kailh Brown feels a bit weird to me(what doesnt mean they are bad, I was just checking out cheap Genesis RX85 so other keyboards with browns may work a lot better)and Kailh Black is too hard, so I will just probably go with MX Silver or MX Red. Did your CM run for 6 years with using same two keys for osu all the time? Didnt they double tap or smth? Ohh and this certain tester lacks of MX Silver :/
Chintam

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Chintam wrote:

The problem for me is the price, till now I was considering if its worth paying 40$ more for Varmilo than Ducky and im supposed to spend 14 pounds to check out switches, I already know that Kailh Brown feels a bit weird to me(what doesnt mean they are bad, I was just checking out cheap Genesis RX85 so other keyboards with browns may work a lot better)and Kailh Black is too hard, so I will just probably go with MX Silver or MX Red. Did your CM run for 6 years with using same two keys for osu all the time? Didnt they double tap or smth? Ohh and this certain tester lacks of MX Silver :/

Well, it's amazon so you can easily return it. I got no idea how similar kailh browns are compared to cherry, so maybe it's just kailh switches are just bad. If you're worried about price, I don't see why you would go for varmilo or ducky. The switch quality, and therefore endurance, is the exact same. All you need to do is find the cheapest authentic cherry keyboard which I'm pretty sure isn't Ducky or varmilo. For me, CM storm was the cheapest keyboard 6 years ago.

I've used the exact same keys for the past few years and it's perfectly fine. Maybe you should stay away from kailh switches if your keyboard only last two years with mediocre activity.
Topic Starter
Amayui

Chintam wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Chintam wrote:

Well, it's amazon so you can easily return it. I got no idea how similar kailh browns are compared to cherry, so maybe it's just kailh switches are just bad. If you're worried about price, I don't see why you would go for varmilo or ducky. The switch quality, and therefore endurance, is the exact same. All you need to do is find the cheapest authentic cherry keyboard which I'm pretty sure isn't Ducky or varmilo. For me, CM storm was the cheapest keyboard 6 years ago.

I've used the exact same keys for the past few years and it's perfectly fine. Maybe you should stay away from kailh switches if your keyboard only last two years with mediocre activity.

Well I started agreeing with some people saying that price matter but not for every brand(look at Razer)because things like key caps makes difference and I felt that today when trying out other keyboards which were so bad even in comparsion to my current. I was planning to buy CM Masterkeys Pro S but only RGB versions are avaible and they cost about 180 euro(in my country) what makes me laugh. I think I just ran out of ideas.
TruthIsNear
Check out this post on r/MechanicalKeyboards. It has a ton of info about mech boards. Reading that would be better than asking questions one by one.
Chintam

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Chintam wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

Chintam wrote:

Well I started agreeing with some people saying that price matter but not for every brand(look at Razer)because things like key caps makes difference and I felt that today when trying out other keyboards which were so bad even in comparsion to my current. I was planning to buy CM Masterkeys Pro S but only RGB versions are avaible and they cost about 180 euro(in my country) what makes me laugh. I think I just ran out of ideas.

The price matters, but you need to see where it's going. In razer's case, way too much is going into branding. Price is linked to quality, not directly related. And cherry switches cost the same regardless of brands, as long as it's authentic. The money will then go into better build quality, and to overheads like R&D, somebody gotta pay for those designers.

Just make sure you look at reviews of the keyboards you are planning to buy. If you want to gaurentee quality, just make your own. 180 euros is a lot of money for a keyboard... At that price, I'd rather make it myself.
Topic Starter
Amayui
For 90% im going with VA87M with Silver/Speed switches, last question I have to ask before closing thread sounds: If I will buy Varmilo from here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2792 will it have retooled or old/vintage switches? I just cant seem to find out
and it really matters for me IF I would decide to take Red ones, because logically I know that there's no such a thing as Vintage Silvers as they are pretty new. I cant write in Reddit forum yet or find answer for this question. If someone have hard time finding MX Silvers here's site btw: https://falba.tech/product/switch-cherry-mx-silver-speed-plate-mount/ I hope they are original hah
The Gambler
I wouldn't splurge on a full keyboard, unless you plan to use it outside of osu.

Thnikk's keypads are the way to go for osu-only.

I also wrote a little guide on how to build one.
Topic Starter
Amayui

The Gambler wrote:

I wouldn't splurge on a full keyboard, unless you plan to use it outside of osu.

Thnikk's keypads are the way to go for osu-only.

I also wrote a little guide on how to build one.

The problem is that my current mechanical double taps so much that I have to fix almost every sentence I write, and im currently waiting for VA87M Sakura to be avaible with Red switches, or maybe I will get so frustrated that I will just go for Silvers.
PS I will probably never buy this keyboard because its out of stock and even on Varmilo website its only with browns, wtf.
The Gambler

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

im currently waiting for VA87M Sakura to be avaible with Red switches.

Don't see why you couldn't go with Blacks: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3508
Implojin

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

PS I will probably never buy this keyboard because its out of stock and even on Varmilo website its only with browns, wtf.

There's a varmilo rep who sometimes posts on /r/mechanicalkeyboards, they might be able to help with that.

https://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/a4qvi6/65_keyboards/ebhv3av/?context=0
Topic Starter
Amayui

Implojin wrote:

AsunaChanWaifu wrote:

There's a varmilo rep who sometimes posts on /r/mechanicalkeyboards, they might be able to help with that.

https://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/a4qvi6/65_keyboards/ebhv3av/?context=0

I already contacted them via email and im waiting for info about shipping cost to Poland, I hope it wont be 30$ but its pretty real price.