forum

Reword Epilepsy Rule

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tatatat
My proposal is to change

Beatmaps that contain repetitive strobes, pulsing images, or rapid changes in contrast, brightness or colour in the storyboard must use an epilepsy warning. If the warning interferes with gameplay, audio lead-in must be made longer. Strobing effects at 3 Hz and below are unlikely to cause concern. When in doubt, add the warning and confirm its necessity during the modding process.
to

Beatmaps that contain repetitive strobes, pulsing images, or rapid changes in contrast, brightness or colour in the storyboard or video must use an epilepsy warning. If the warning interferes with gameplay, audio lead-in must be made longer. Strobing effects at 3 Hz and below are unlikely to cause concern. When in doubt, add the warning and confirm its necessity during the modding process.
Pretty simple. Just to let everyone know that videos are also included in this rule. If you have any suggestions, like moving the rule to a different section of the ranking criteria, or rewording it please post below! Or just any feedback, thanks!
Aiseca
Yeah, I can agree with this change really because there were some videos that uses extreme video flashes and strobes in it. The current epilepsy warning (as far as I know) only used to indicate certain storyboarded mapsets that uses such elements or putting it up just for a good measure...

Examples of videos that contain one or more of such elements mentioned above:

Noffy
Yeah, surprised this wasn't changed the way you suggested before, since the warning has been used for videos too since forever. It should be moved to the General section in addition to the rephrase. If there's no objections in a week I'll PR it to the wiki.
Aiseca
So this is good to go, or we wait for any more people to voice some more opinions on this matter?
abraker
Yea good change.

Are there any skins that may need this as well?
Noffy

Aiseca wrote:

So this is good to go, or we wait for any more people to voice some more opinions on this matter?

basically the latter, just in case

abraker wrote:

Yea good change.

personally not sure how this would apply to map skins since osu beatmap skins can't control animation framerate, that's a user skin setting only. If there's any examples of how that could be a risk in map skins, it could be considered. If it's a concern for skins in general, that would have to find another home besides the RC since it wouldn't apply to ranking beatmaps.
Aiseca

abraker wrote:

Yea good change.

Plausible. However, using skin is at the player's discretion really...
If they're using one with such flashes or any epilepsy prone matter, they should have known beforehand if the creator completely informed the users about it's content.
celerih
seems like a very reasonable change to the RC, this should probably be done
abraker

Aiseca wrote:

However, using skin is at the player's discretion really...

If they're using one with such flashes or any epilepsy prone matter, they should have known beforehand if the creator completely informed the users about it's content.
Video and sb use is also at the player's discretion. Players can have beatmap skins enabled and not know what it contains until they play the map.

Noffy wrote:

personally not sure how this would apply to map skins since osu beatmap skins can't control animation framerate, that's a user skin setting only. If there's any examples of how that could be a risk in map skins, it could be considered. If it's a concern for skins in general, that would have to find another home besides the RC since it wouldn't apply to ranking beatmaps.
I have those disabled and I don't really look at other skins, so idk if there are any or whether it's possible to make beatmap skins that can possibly be seizure inducing. Just trying to cover all bases. If you don't think it's a concern, alrighty then.
Topic Starter
tatatat

abraker wrote:

Aiseca wrote:

However, using skin is at the player's discretion really...

Video and sb use is also at the player's discretion. Players can have beatmap skins enabled and not know what it contains until they play the map.

Noffy wrote:

I have those disabled and I don't really look at other skins, so idk if there are any or whether it's possible to make beatmap skins that can possibly be seizure inducing. Just trying to cover all bases. If you don't think it's a concern, alrighty then.

Yeah I think it'd make more sense to just have guidelines on the skin sub-forum on properly labeling skins that could cause potential problems IF its even possible. I'm not a huge skin bonanza dude myself. But whatever the case, the ranking criteria couldn't govern that unless the skin was a beatmap skin.
Noffy
the changes have now been applied to the wiki as of a few days ago, so this thread will now be archived.
Aiseca
Thanks.
This is a very good additional information for the people to use and be guided accordingly.