forum

Step recording in mania editor

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
tekno_kllerbong
Hey

I suggest to make a step recording system in osu mania editor like in DAWs and musical sequencers.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it would be an editing tool for mania mode that would allow you to insert notes one "step" dividing the bars (1/4 of a bar, 1/8, 1/6, whole bar, etc...) at a time. The way it would work is you press a key (or several at a time) and then release it (or them). Then every key you pressed during that one push would be inserted (duration's value could be modified with the mouse wheel) at the step you're currently on and the next press you'd do will insert notes at the next step and so on.

I think this would make beatmapping on mania way, way more efficient. Rather than clicking note by note every single hit you could just "play" it at your own rythm and with some shortcuts it would be like just awesome.

Show support if you like this idea I don't know how but let's make this tool happen please I'd map just so much more with this.

Thx
abraker
first, feature request forum is right here: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/4

second, what you are asking for already exists. Go to compose > enable live mapping mode
or just press ctrl + tab to toggle it
Topic Starter
tekno_kllerbong
live mapping is not the same. WIth this you have to play along with the song by following the tempo. Step recording would allow you to ignore the rythm. Check this video from 2:50 to get a pretty good idea about what this editing mode would look like. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=step+recording+music+production&view=detail&mid=C45B87DB2390F4853859C45B87DB2390F4853859&FORM=VIRE
Flanster
Moved to FR
abraker
oh that's actually pretty useful. There are some technical issues, however.

1) There are multiple columns so there are some patterns for which you would want to press multiple keys for. You wouldn't press multiple keys perfectly in synchronous, meaning the key presses will some milliseconds apart from another. Snapping will take care of their positions by aligning to be synchronous, but in this feature pressing one key would mean you go to the next snapping. So how would this work with multiple keys?

2) Suppose you want a snapping that doesn't have notes on any column. How would you advance to next snapping or skip current one?

3) The the most sparse snap divisor is 1/1. What if you need to make an LN longer; how do you control when to release?
Full Tablet
I think this would work with an "advance" key.

Pressing and releasing an empty lane creates a regular note.

Pressing, advancing to the next snap(s) with the advance key, then releasing the note, creates a LN.
abraker
Simple solutions are the best

@OP
you might want to try out posting the feature request here: https://github.com/ppy/osu/issues
Be sure to rewrite it in a more understandable way while adding to the request the functionality mentioned.