forum

Am I the only one that finds names in profile pictures cringy?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nyuk
Can someone explain me what's the point of it? It's kinda cringy tbh.
Flanster
I don't like that either honestly as your name is displayed next to it most of the time anyway. But I suppose its some kind of habit for avatar collabs and a precaution for someone to not steal them and use it as their own. Silly aint it?
Shurelia
idk but i can agree
Meah

Shurelia wrote:

idk but i can agree
Lilou
same
Chilwrumm
me too tbh
teppelin-
I agree, although there's one exception:
Bananaland
it's an alias okay?
Cl0ckHandz
A better question would be, why put it when its already written on your profile
WoahItsAjax
IM OFFENDED.
Topic Starter
Nyuk

WoahItsAjax wrote:

IM OFFENDED.

Yours doesn't really count since it's not the same (it serves as a way for people to know your alias). I'm talking about people that have a profile picture with their exact profile name on it, it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Cl0ckHandz wrote:

A better question would be, why put it when its already written on your profile

Exactly, that's my point.
Calamari
cos it's trendy for some reason, people see other people have names in their avatars and want to copy that and fit in
mulraf

Nyuk wrote:

WoahItsAjax wrote:

IM OFFENDED.

Yours doesn't really count since it's not the same (it serves as a way for people to know your alias). I'm talking about people that have a profile picture with their exact profile name on it, it serves no purpose whatsoever.

>I< AM oFfEnDeD tho

well to explain myself to this tribunal: osu! is not the only place where i use this avatar, i use it pretty much everywhere. youtube. facebook. game xy. i really like the design. i mean i am not bad with doing such stuff on my own but this one is made by someone else and yeah, i just like it so that's why i'm using it everywhere :x but when doing such stuff myself i also tend to put in my name. i just think just a picture of idk some anime character looks a bit empty, but if you don't have any inspiration of what else you could put on there, you can just go with the name. it's an easy way to fill up empty space. you are against names on profile pictures but i bet no one has a problem with names on banners in players osu profiles. yet it's the same: the names already there so you don't need it a second time. it's just there to look nice.
LaryRose09
same tbh, I used to have my username on my profile pictures but I realized how bad it looked after a while

Cometi wrote:

cos it's trendy for some reason, people see other people have names in their avatars and want to copy that and fit in

^^^^^^ also THIS
Achromalia
hmm.

as far as "cringy" goes, not necessarily, but I prefer them not to be in the avatars. They dont really add much to it and if that art is not custom made to fit with the avatar and name or something, it obscures the art and could break away from other elements in the avatar itself.

i dont find them appealing, is about all i can say.
abraker

There you go, now you can be one of them
bebx
What if my avatar is literally just my name? Is that gross, or is that a stylistic choice that looks nice and snazzy, and reminds people of corporate logos? (ie FedEx)
Reki-kun_DELETED
Looks like a company logo or impression.
Don't take it personally.
Stefan
YomommaiscringyandIdonotseetheproblemwithnamesinavatars.
Reki-kun_DELETED
Nice poster collection
Flanster

Stefan wrote:

YomommaiscringyandIdonotseetheproblemwithnamesinavatars.

pls stofen
Aiseca
That's a wall to see there ah...
Overwhelming....
MisakiTobisawa-
Yeah, I've tried it before and it ended up just looking really bad, that's why I just have the first two letters of my name, which is pretty much how all my friends here and on Discord identify me.
Tenpii
If it doesn't look cluttered it might work, but I think it's inevitable if you use a very detailed image for your pfp.
Kizusu
as long as the name doesn't take up much space, it's okay to have your name there

yeah I know my avatar is cringy stop mocking me
MisakiTobisawa-
Owo kizu sup

Nah, the font isn't off-putting so it's fine.
Luqanted
this thread made me realize how cringy it really was