forum

Unable to gain pp anymore.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank
Just a preface to say I know how the pp system works.

I'm at the stage now at 250pp where I am unable to gain pp from playing basically any 2 star song. As far as I can see a lot of these songs might give 11-19pp for a 100%, and it drops off rapidly at 98%, 96% etc to the point where any realistic clear I will get 90-96% will give basically no pp anymore. Before someone tells me that I should be able to 100% these sorts songs.. it's not gonna happen ever no matter what level I get to. I'm just not a high-accuracy player with my current set-up (maybe when I get a tablet in a month it will change, but for now forget about anything more than 96%, which can still be a no-miss)

I can actually earn more pp from getting 85% on the 3 star songs that I actually can do ok on rather than trying to 100% 2 star songs. I also find the 3 star stuff just better practice since I'm more interested in advancing onto harder patterns and different sequences than I am on perfecting a limited number of basic patterns that you see in 2 star.

Is this a normal situation to be in at this sort of pp?
TTL
Just keep playing, enjoy the game, don't look too much at your pp, you'll improve without noticing it
It happens at every level
samX500
you shouldn't worry about whether or not your are gaining pp, it's totally normal to have some times where you aren't earning pp for a while. Keep playing and eventually you are gonna see that you are getting a lot of pp play.
Edgar_Figaro
Dude you don’t even have 1000 playcount. It’s far too early to say you hit a wall or can’t become a high accuracy player.

Also I hate to break it to you but Accuracy is much easier at lower difficulty maps because of generally having lower OD. (Aka larger hit windows) As you get into higher difficulties the OD increases and it gets harder to get good Accuracy.

Someday if you keep playing you’ll be so used to the tighter OD windows that playing low maps with these OD windows will be a breeze to SS
Juuuuuuuuul
yes it's a normal situation, play for fun, pp will come.

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

I'm just not a high-accuracy player with my current set-up (maybe when I get a tablet in a month it will change, but for now forget about anything more than 96%, which can still be a no-miss)
Don't blame set_up, even with a 3$ mouse and lmb rmb you can reach high accuracy if you focus on it.
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

yes it's a normal situation, play for fun, pp will come.

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

I'm just not a high-accuracy player with my current set-up (maybe when I get a tablet in a month it will change, but for now forget about anything more than 96%, which can still be a no-miss)

Don't blame set_up, even with a 3$ mouse and lmb rmb you can reach high accuracy if you focus on it.

A mouse can still produce good results, but there's a reason that those who are any good at the game are overwhelmingly using tablets, and it's not because they are looking for an extra challenge.

It's clear that articulating a pointing device in you hand over a matter of inches is much more accurate that having to use your whole arm to do the same thing; especially with repeated changes of direction.
PinkNightmares
play more
Kuroni
You are not at the point to care about rank yet. Just play more, and for improvement be sure to play out of your comfort zone
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank
I can already see some problems on the horizon regarding doubles/triples and beyond and also short streams even at 3 star. Even though I play with both fingers and mostly try to alternate-tap unless there is some reason not to, I can say I am faster and more accurate with 1 finger on triples, I still alternate triples at the moment but it often comes out as 4 because I have to absolutely slam the keys to get it out in time whereas with 1 finger it's far more controlled and easier to keep a rhythm.

Am I going to get into trouble later down the line if I start playing triples and short streams on one finger?

I've seem good players who seem to have fairly even finger usage during a song as you can see from the key input in the game, but I've also seem some who are definitely off-loading >75% of the workload to their preferred finger.
Juuuuuuuuul

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

Am I going to get into trouble later down the line if I start playing triples and short streams on one finger?
yes
Edgar_Figaro
The reason why alot of players use 1 finger 75% of the time is because they only alternate on triplets and streams so the 2nd finger is used alot less. Still it is not advisable to try and just hammer one finger rapidly to triplets or streams. I've never seen a player be able to do well like that in the long run.
DXPOHIHIHI
You haven't even hit a wall and your already complaining about not gaining pp anymore?

Try reaching 5 digit, I can tell that you'll rage and probably quit later on
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank

szkiller wrote:

You haven't even hit a wall and your already complaining about not gaining pp anymore?

Try reaching 5 digit, I can tell that you'll rage and probably quit later on

There was no complaining, you are just trying to be dramatic and unsubtly draw attention to how "awesome" you are.

PP only ever came to my attention because it was another way of looking at progress. Seeing as the star rankings and the pp awarded seem to be extremely inconsistent on a song to song basis at similar levels, I don't think either mean much at this point.
Juuuuuuuuul

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

Seeing as the star rankings and the pp awarded seem to be extremely inconsistent on a song to song basis at similar levels, I don't think either mean much at this point.
True, pp give a general idea of stuff you can do but not very accurate. (and some mappers are good at boosting pp in their maps).
You can check osuskills.com for more detailled stuff on your skills (stamina, jumps, streams etc).
edit : osuchan and pp+ work too, https://syrin.me/osuchan/
N0thingSpecial
Leaderbaord is the only indication of skill you need
Gasterus
I don't focus on PP. I just want to advance in the leaderboard.