forum

PSA: Twitch got officially GFWed in PRC

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arctos Sagittario
Twitch got censored in China starting from last week.
As always, HK, Macau and TW are not included.

I’m posting it here because it will affect live broadcasting of events like owc in the future, i.e. this issue is somewhat general yet important.

Personally I would advise organizers and broadcasters to be aware of this recent policy change, and start looking for other platforms today.
Sicoh

Arctos Sagittario wrote:

Twitch got censored in China starting from last week.
As always, HK, Macau and TW are not included.

I’m posting it here because it will affect live broadcasting of events like owc in the future, i.e. this issue is somewhat general yet important.

Personally I would advise organizers and broadcasters to be aware of this recent policy change, and start looking for other platforms today.

Is there a reason that it got censored?
Topic Starter
Arctos Sagittario

SiCoOG wrote:

Is there a reason that it got censored?

My best guess is that the government decided some games streamed on Twitch to be inappropriate, and they don’t want to bother negotiating with Twitch, since it’s a foreign enterprise, so they just blocked everything.
Still, it’s just my guess, bc no explanation is made by far.
7ambda
use a vpn for now
peppy
Just chiming in that while this is unfortunate, it would not be reason for us to switch platforms. We don't switch platforms just because a single country blocks a service.

I'm sure people will figure ways around it, as you have until now.
Xavior_old_1
damn this sucks for the people in China RIP
Topic Starter
Arctos Sagittario

peppy wrote:

Just chiming in that while this is unfortunate, it would not be reason for us to switch platforms. We don't switch platforms just because a single country blocks a service.

I'm sure people will figure ways around it, as you have until now.

I know, I’m just saying that broadcasters from China, if got permission for broadcast, would need to stream on other platforms, and that you guys would know it would be because of this.

This definitely shouldn’t affect the official stream.
show more