forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
vanessahime
tell us too about converting .osk file into another format such as .zip or .rar
Dwoldy
Can i use score numbers and hitcircle numbers from other skin and post my skin on forum with them?
P.S. Sorry for my english
h3oCharles

GemmaKujo wrote:

I have a little problem with my spinner.. I wanted to make one myself but the default spinner always shows up and idk how to change that.

set Version to latest in skin.ini

vanessahime wrote:

tell us too about converting .osk file into another format such as .zip or .rar

CTRL+O -> Skin -> Export as .osk

Dwoldy wrote:

Can i use score numbers and hitcircle numbers from other skin and post my skin on forum with them?

Mixed skins are not allowed on the forum. You can post it on /r/osuskins or on your userpage if you have one
-Deer Lu-
how to update the theme with my skin,so that the subject was visible on the forum?
h3oCharles

-Deer Lu- wrote:

how to update the thread with my skin,so that the subject was visible on the forum?

There should be a button on the post that says edit or sth like that
Katxu
This topic should be updated, some features doesnt work anymore like the "SongSelectActiveText".
Reply me if it does work but i don't know how to use it properly.
Haskorion

IFT Seb wrote:

This topic should be updated, some features doesnt work anymore like the "SongSelectActiveText".
Reply me if it does work but i don't know how to use it properly.

It does work.

Often made mistakes in the skin.ini-file are:
  1. lowercases where they should not be: (e.g.: version instead of Version.
  2. incorrect spelling (e.g.: Colors instead of Colours)
  3. having spaces before or after the line
  4. using a variable that is not supported
  5. not putting a line under their correct header (e.g.: ComboPrefix: must be put under the [Fonts] section)
  6. forgetting to put the headers into brackets (these -> ["Header"] )
  7. the file is not an .ini-file (skin.ini.txt instead of skin.ini)

In short: the skin.ini-file is very case sensitive and uses UK english for most parts.

While it is true this tutorial should have been updated long ago, it's not the main topic and with lazer in development writing a new one is pointless since most of today's elements might no longer work like they do now in the lazer client.
h3oCharles

Haskorion wrote:

While it is true this tutorial should have been updated long ago, it's not the main topic and with lazer in development writing a new one is pointless since most of today's elements might no longer work like they do now in the lazer client.

I'll let RockRoller know about this
EDIT1: He's working on it along with the wiki. I hope he gets Contributor badge for this
EDIT2: Yay 1000 posts!
Miwaa
Uuh Cool thanks mate
Acchu
Someone have the default skin?
s n a k e
all i want to do is take some parts of some skins i like and put them in other skins , why is everything so complicated .
Goompaolo95Beat
Spinerr-spin - Text that simply tells you to spin through spinner.

Correct spelling:spinner-spin
Death

Goompaolo95Beat wrote:

Spinerr-spin - Text that simply tells you to spin through spinner.

Correct spelling:spinner-spin
Fix'd
Ashuri-Chan
What is the name of the stars that come out of the sides when the song is going through a critical moment in the ctb? And the lights that come out when you dunk the fruit in the bar?
RockRoller
star2 is the stars
Not totally sure on the lights, but I dont think they are skinnable
Mathia
hi, i know that this may be a stupid question, but i can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

i'm creating a skin by making small changes to the Seouless used by shigetora on twitch and when trying to change the background of the spinner i cannot manage to fit the backgroung, which has an outer glow, with the spinner meter, that contains the image i want to show when spinning.

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/11534383 <-- this is what i'm talking about

then i noticed that the images used in the original use different resolutions and the spinner metre is always cut by few pixel.

https://i.imgur.com/6Bqoyh7.png spinner bg
https://i.imgur.com/ErHRxqF.png spinner metre

i'm new to skinning but i hope you can help
saucegodd_old
how do i use a skin, it doenloads as a .osk file and i put it in osu skins and it doesnt work
RockRoller

saucegodd wrote:

how do i use a skin, it doenloads as a .osk file and i put it in osu skins and it doesnt work
Dont put it in your skin folder. You need to open it with osu
TG4X
Too sad that the Osu!Skins is going to close in 1st/January/2019 :(
NekoHaxor
How does one get the difficulty stars to work more as a bar instead of getting smaller? I find the scaled version very difficult to read, but when I change the version of the skin, nothing changes about the difficulty stars.
Matt2e2

NekoHaxor wrote:

How does one get the difficulty stars to work more as a bar instead of getting smaller? I find the scaled version very difficult to read, but when I change the version of the skin, nothing changes about the difficulty stars.

The version of skin.ini must be 2.1 or lower.
rivai45
How to change size of LightingN???
After I change the version to lastest (on skin.ini), LightingN change to big .-.
Nyantastic
THX xD
DD_33
So I have a skin I REALLY LIKE, however, it has no numbers and some maps can get really confusing how can I edit it so it does have numbers?
RockRoller

DD_33 wrote:

So I have a skin I REALLY LIKE, however, it has no numbers and some maps can get really confusing how can I edit it so it does have numbers?
If you want dots you need to remove default-0 till default-9 (and the @2x versions if they exist) from your current skin and then you just drop the default- images from a skin in that has dots. Then you just need to copy the value of HitCircleOverlap from the skin.ini from the skin you took the dots from and put it into the skin.ini of the skin you're using.

If you want blank circles just go to the skin.ini of your skin and put
HitCirclePrefix: Something
under [Fonts]
madjon
Hey just got a skin but I want to tinker with it and adjust it to my liking, the thing is that I want the circles and numbers after I click to fade away quick, but for some reason one of the skins I got has a weird option set up as I click the circle will fade away faster than the number which is kinda distracting and messing up with my reading ability.
Gregor
thanks m8
Exclesa
So, i have a 3440x1440 monitor and Osu works beautifully, but obviously nobody makes skins for 21:9 (at least not that i can find).

The skins i use mostly work, but there are a few that are my favorites, but some elements are off, mainly any parts of the Skin that cover the big OSU button on the Map Selection screen in the bottom right.

Is there a way to manually move this so it covers the button like its intended to?

Spoiler box as image is big.

Another question is how to remove the Boxed area on some skins, as on 21:9 its not centered and very distracting, and some skins don't come with optional elements to replace them to get rid of em.
RockRoller

Exclesa wrote:

The skins i use mostly work, but there are a few that are my favorites, but some elements are off, mainly any parts of the Skin that cover the big OSU button on the Map Selection screen in the bottom right.
Is there a way to manually move this so it covers the button like its intended to?

Could be kinda hard to move it on this particular one, but it shouldn't be a problem in general. You would just need to edit selection-mode or selection-options.

Exclesa wrote:

Another question is how to remove the Boxed area on some skins, as on 21:9 its not centered and very distracting, and some skins don't come with optional elements to replace them to get rid of em.

You need to edit scorebar-bg
KatouMegumi
Are we allowed to copy such stuff as hitcircle.png or taikobigcircle.png?
They are literally just white colors.
Matt2e2

KatouMegumi wrote:

No, unless the elements are too simple and can be debated if it counts as mixing or not. Though I would recommend you do not copy them regardless of their simplicity.
KatouMegumi

Matt2e2 wrote:

KatouMegumi wrote:

No, unless the elements are too simple and can be debated if it counts as mixing or not. Though I would recommend you do not copy them regardless of their simplicity.
Yes, they are too simple. Literally white color circle.
KatouMegumi
I have a skin that I allow people to freely fork (if character images are replaced)
But given the new subforum rule that does not allow mixed skin even if having aurhor's permission (me). In this case, can I allow people to host forks of my skin in my skin thread?
RockRoller

KatouMegumi wrote:

I have a skin that I allow people to freely fork (if character images are replaced)
But given the new subforum rule that does not allow mixed skin even if having aurhor's permission (me). In this case, can I allow people to host forks of my skin in my skin thread?

Hmm, that is a good question. It should be fine, eventho no one probably would read the comments, which is why you may just wanna add a spoilerbox with versions other people made in the OP. (but please checj then if those are entirely made out of your elements and don't steal some from other skins)
Paiktpro
no entendí ni vergas, no se ingles. :v
Akazukin-MK2
Do you know if it's possible to use different textures for sliderscorepoint in different modes? taiko and standard share the same file by default, I'd rather avoid making 2 skin folders just to change that.
Matt2e2

Akazukin-MK2 wrote:

Do you know if it's possible to use different textures for sliderscorepoint in different modes? taiko and standard share the same file by default, I'd rather avoid making 2 skin folders just to change that.

Sadly, no. There's no easy way to make osu! use a different slider score point file for standard/taiko.
ItsTheZenith
I was wondering, i want to change something in a skin where the circle disappears but the number disappears a little bit later, how do i change this?
Matt2e2

ItsTheZenith wrote:

I was wondering, i want to change something in a skin where the circle disappears but the number disappears a little bit later, how do i change this?

I don't think you can do that, since the only time the numbers expand is when skin.ini version 1.0 is used, and there's no way of doing the fast fading hitcircle trick on that version
ItsTheZenith

Matt2e2 wrote:

ItsTheZenith wrote:

I don't think you can do that, since the only time the numbers expand is when skin.ini version 1.0 is used, and there's no way of doing the fast fading hitcircle trick on that version

If u wanna look into it is idke's skin
show more