forum

Gareth Coker - The Sacrifice (E3 Trailer Version)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 5:37:33 PM

Artist: Gareth Coker
Title: The Sacrifice (E3 Trailer Version)
Source: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
BPM: 74
Filesize: 3550kb
Play Time: 02:08
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.26 stars, 82 notes)
  2. We Will Remember the Night (1.96 stars, 90 notes)
Download: Gareth Coker - The Sacrifice (E3 Trailer Version)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
bezbashn
00:15:867(1,2) - Like this

00:33:140(3) - x252 y288
00:36:067 - x276 y244
00:46:311 - x368 y276
Topic Starter
rosario wknd

bezbashn wrote:

00:15:867(1,2) - Like this Changed

00:33:140(3) - x252 y288 Changed
00:36:067 - x276 y244 Changed
00:46:311 - x368 y276 Changed
Tyty for the mods my man
Jakomo73
Hey, here for my part of the M4M
General
  1. Despite the diff having such a low sr, you still need 2 diffs for a non-marathon map (idk if u just havn't mapped it yet though)
  2. The current combo colors don't really fit with the bg's colors

We Will Remember The Night

1. 00:16:272 (2) - make this a bent slider for consistency
  2. 00:17:083 (3) - NC
  3. 00:22:758 (2,1) - should stack these imo as there isn't much going on between them and it will be more difficult to snap to than the other objects due to the spacing
  4. 00:31:677 (2,3) - Try to avoid incorrect blankets like this, especially for a low SR map since there is more time to notice them (there are quite a few in the whole map)
  5. 00:40:091 (3,5) - Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps like this, as they also make the map less pleasing to the eyes
  6. 00:54:359 (2) - I think 1 should be a slider ending on 2's current position, there is nothing clickable I can hear where 2 is
  7. 01:36:341 (3,5,7) - NC's necessary for consistency

Good luck!
Topic Starter
rosario wknd

Jakomo73 wrote:

Hey, here for my part of the M4M
General
  1. Despite the diff having such a low sr, you still need 2 diffs for a non-marathon map (idk if u just havn't mapped it yet though) Didn't realize I needed more than one difficulty but I'll cook one up real quick
  2. The current combo colors don't really fit with the bg's colors Combos have been changed and given a blue and white hue

We Will Remember The Night

1. 00:16:272 (2) - make this a bent slider for consistency Changed
  2. 00:17:083 (3) - NC Fixed
  3. 00:22:758 (2,1) - should stack these imo as there isn't much going on between them and it will be more difficult to snap to than the other objects due to the spacing I'm just gonna keep them from stacking because I think it looks better
  4. 00:31:677 (2,3) - Try to avoid incorrect blankets like this, especially for a low SR map since there is more time to notice them (there are quite a few in the whole map) Fixed this one and will try to weed out the rest
  5. 00:40:091 (3,5) - Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps like this, as they also make the map less pleasing to the eyes Changed
  6. 00:54:359 (2) - I think 1 should be a slider ending on 2's current position, there is nothing clickable I can hear where 2 is Removed the circle entirely
  7. 01:36:341 (3,5,7) - NC's necessary for consistency Fixed
[/color]
Good luck!
Phos-
Hey, m4m from my queue!

[General]
  1. Unfortunately, your current difficulty spread still isn't rankable. The ranking criteria states that:
    The mapset must have a well-designed spread of difficulties, containing at least an Easy or a Normal difficulty. This is so that players of all levels of experience are able to enjoy maps of the songs they love.
To put it bluntly, your "spread" is far from well designed. If you played each difficulty back to back from each other, then you wouldn't be able to distinguish one from the other because they have no defining characteristics from each other. Remember that it needs to be a spread. This isn't a spread - it's just two easy difficulties.

With this kind of song, I would go for an EN spread (easy-normal spread), so I suggest you completely remap one of your difficulties and make a new one which is harder. It should be around 1.75 to 2.25 stars. Then, call me back to do the m4m once you are done.

Here are the links to the general and standard ranking criteria:
  1. https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria
  2. https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!
I suggest reading both of these thoroughly, as it contains all the info you need to make a rankable spread.

>>>>>No kudosu for this<<<<<
Since I plan on doing a proper mod once you have made a proper normal difficulty.
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
Your wish is my command

EDIT: Second difficulty has been modified to be considered normal diff so we should be gucci now
Dr Sensei-Hugo
Hello, from mod queue :)
We Will Remember the Night
The AR is a bit too high for this song. AR7 would be better
00:19:515 (1) - Why isnt this snapped to the white tick?
00:26:002 (2,5) - Why overlapped?
00:34:603 (5,6) - Fix blanket kudos plz
00:39:725 (2,3) - ^
00:43:384 (1,2,3) - ^
00:56:486 (3,4,5) - ^
01:02:067 (2,3,4) - ^ Im starting to think these are all intentional...
01:37:416 (6,2) - Ugly overlap
01:39:218 (1) - Spaced too far away, bring it a bit closer to other objects.
01:47:995 (1,2,3) - Fix blanket
Easy
AR is too high here as well, AR7 would be better.
00:25:191 (1,4) - Ugly overlap
00:31:677 (2,3) - Fix blanket
01:09:044 (2) - Snap this to the white tick.
01:26:311 (1,2) - Blanket these
01:27:765 (1,3) - Ugly overlap

Very nice song ;) Good luck for ranking this awesome map :)
Phos-
Okay, this is better.

[General]

Both of your difficulties have the exact same diff settings. For a better spread, I'd change them to the following:
  1. Easy: CS3, AR2, OD3, HP2
  2. Normal: CS4, AR4, OD5, HP3
In both your difficulties, the AR is way too high. New players have trouble reading AR7, let alone AR9. Beginners also respond better to bigger circles, especially if they're new to aim oriented games - hence my suggestion to decrease the CS in easy. Raising the OD and HP in normal was done simply to provide a proper difficulty progression throughout the mapset.

Both of your difficulties aren't made with time distance equality in mind. Take the third note in easy for example: 00:01:677 (2,1) - . There is a sudden increase in distance snap, whilst being in the same distance away on the timeline. For an easy/normal, this is very very bad. I want you to go over both difficulties, and fix all of them. Here's something you can do to help: look at the following image, do you see the yellow numbers I've highlighted in the corner? On every note, these two numbers should be the same. No exceptions. So go through each difficulty thoroughly and make sure that distance snap is correct.

Apply hitsounds. Ranking criteria states that:
You must use hitsounds. Without these, things get way too monotonous as you are throwing away one of the main elements of variation present in mapping. You don't need to place them on every note (and are discouraged from doing so), but they must at least be frequently heard when playing.
Hitsounds come in three flavours; whistles, finishes, and claps. You want to form a consistent pattern with these sounds which isn't random, has clear reasoning, and emphasises the correct sounds. One common hitsounding method is to add a clap every second and fourth beat in a measure.

Use less slider velocity (sv) changes throughout the map; ideally no sv changes. This is because new players will have problems reacting to the changes, causing them to become confused and misread most of the patterns. Take the slider at 00:05:731 (1) - for example. If you get rid of the sv change, the slider will be longer; but it will also be easier to read and much easier for new players to grasp.

Remember that your two difficulties are easy and normal. Both of these are aimed at new players. Easies are aimed at these who have only just installed the game and are doing their first beatmaps, and normals are aimed at these who can get A/S ranks on easies and would like to try something harder, so keep that in mind whilst applying your changes.

Also, add a red timing point at 01:24:916 - changing the bpm to 84. This is better because your notes are on the correct ticks, and it's correctly timed.

I guess I'll look through the difficulties now and point things out. But honestly, the problems I've highlighted above are much more severe and I want you to spend the majority of your time on these. Keep in mind that I'm assuming you'll remap most of your patterns since you have to comply with distance-time equality/getting rid of sv changes, so this is mainly going to be in a more general sense.

[Easy]
  1. 00:00:867 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - You use too many 1/2 sliders here, which new players can have trouble following. I suggest utilising a wider range of rhythms here, such as 1/1 sliders, circles, etc.
  2. 00:25:191 (1,2,3,4,5) - This is bad because again, new players may have trouble following this due to the amount of circles. It's also laid out in a way that they will not understand due to the lack of structure and the overlap with 00:26:002 (2,5) - . I think you could map to the low pitched humming here, using one long slider throughout. It'll fit because it's an easy diff, and it is a very calm section of the song.
  3. 00:31:677 (2,3) - You can improve this blanket; make sure that the slidertrail of (3) is parallel with the end of (2). It should look something like this.
  4. 00:39:725 (2) - This slider is completely inappropriate for an easy diff because of 1/4. New players will find this very fast, and they will not be able to read it, play it, or follow the slider. Throughout the map, you should stick with 2/1 rhythms, 1/1 rhythms, and 1/2 rhythms. This suggestion applies to all the 1/4 rhythms you have, such as 00:47:408 (5) - and 00:55:091 (1,2) - .
[Normal]
  1. This difficulty doesn't have a source, creating a metadata inconsistency with easy.
  2. 00:46:311 (4,6) - You want to avoid overlaps like this whilst mapping because they genuinely look ugly, and players will have a lot of trouble reading them.
Honestly, a lot of work is needed. The two key things though would be to fix the distance snap and to get rid of your drastic sv changes. This should result in you having to remap your difficulties, unfortunately. But it'll be good because the quality of the map will improve as a result. If you have any questions, please PM me in-game. Otherwise, good luck and I hope for the best with this mapset in the future!
Topic Starter
rosario wknd

DrSensei-Hugo wrote:

Hello, from mod queue :)
The AR is a bit too high for this song. AR7 would be better Yepyep changed to ar7
00:19:515 (1) - Why isnt this snapped to the white tick? Fixed
00:26:002 (2,5) - Why overlapped? Changed
00:34:603 (5,6) - Fix blanket kudos plz Yepyep
00:39:725 (2,3) - ^ Fixed
00:43:384 (1,2,3) - ^ Fixed
00:56:486 (3,4,5) - ^ Fixed
01:02:067 (2,3,4) - ^ Im starting to think these are all intentional... I usually sleep without blankets at night I get so hot so I'm not used to these
01:37:416 (6,2) - Ugly overlap Fixed
01:39:218 (1) - Spaced too far away, bring it a bit closer to other objects. Changed
01:47:995 (1,2,3) - Fix blanket Done
Easy
AR is too high here as well, AR7 would be better. :)
00:25:191 (1,4) - Ugly overlap Fixed
00:31:677 (2,3) - Fix blanket Fixed
01:09:044 (2) - Snap this to the white tick. Yepyep
01:26:311 (1,2) - Blanket these Done
01:27:765 (1,3) - Ugly overlap Fixed

Very nice song ;) Good luck for ranking this awesome map :) :3333333
rohasshiki
Hello from my queue!

First off, I would highly recommend using DS on these. Since these are normal and easy diffs, I'm pretty sure it's mandatory for ranking. Also, the slider velocity changes are cool, but should definitely NOT be used for the sake of lower level players who need consistency in their maps in order to improve.

1. 00:02:894 (4,1) - These can be stacked
  2. 00:31:677 (2,3) - Fix blanket
  3. 00:33:140 (3,4,5) - This timing to distance is off, I won't post more of these, please use distance snapping for this level of difficulty
  4. 00:34:603 (5,6) - Fix blanket
  5. 00:36:067 (6,1) - Don't overlap this
  6. 00:39:725 (2,3) - Fix blanket
  7. 00:43:384 (1,2) - ^
  8. 00:55:091 (2,3) - ^
  9. Here's a tip for blankets, use the approach circle of the blanketed note as a guideline to make sure your blanket covers it perfectly. Your blankets are imperfect and they don't look good, makes the map seem very amateur and unpolished
  10. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this needs a remap. As it stands, it needs a lot of work and is unrankable. I think you have some good ideas here and your slider shapes can be cool, but you need to learn how to blanket properly to apply these things. Distance snap is essential for both of these diffs,
    and because of that you don't really have a choice but to remap. There is too much going on in this set that should not be due to the low star rating and audience that these are aimed towards. -Faded- made a lot of really good points that you definitely need to heed, and even though you might be proud of this map, I promise you that if you remap it, you'll be even more proud of that. Continue doing what you're doing, seek out mods and seek to give mods. This is the best way to learn how players and mappers approach different things and analyze patterns. The reason a remap is so important for you is because it's hard to approach looking at those more fine details like pattern and consistency until you have a map that fits ranking criteria and is consistent enough to mod in such a way. You're moving in the right direction, and although criticism might be harsh, it's important to keep moving forward because that's the only way mappers improve.

I'm not an expert mapper by any means, but feel free to ask me anything you want to know in terms of mapping and I'll help to the best of my ability. Don't be afraid of criticism; embrace it. It's not easy having a map you're proud of torn to shreds, but it's happened to all of us so trust me when I say we've been in your shoes before. Good luck, don't stop mapping, and keep your head held high.

M4M map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/651083
If you mod my map, I'll do my best in replying to mods to help you better understand the concepts which you address.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.