forum

S3RL feat Harri Rush - Nostalgic (Nightcore Mix) [CatchTheBe

posted
Total Posts
show more
neonat
It's more synonymous to post-orbituary, not hell or whatnot. The rule is to prevent any kind of difficulty name which can determine the mapper. Only nold has several ranked with this name. They don't have to claim it to be theirs, it appears in songs that have no relation to this word.
Topic Starter
Ulysses

neonat wrote:

The rule is to prevent any kind of difficulty name which can determine the mapper. Only nold has several ranked with this name. They don't have to claim it to be theirs, it appears in songs that have no relation to this word.
Thank you for contributing to the mapset. Your argument is:
1. There is a rule that prevents any kind of difficulty name which can determine the mapper.
2. Only Nold has ranked maps with [Posthumous]
3. Therefore, players can identify Nold when they see the diff name [Posthumous]
*4. Therefore, it is against the rule for Nold to use the diff name [Posthumous].

There are a few problems with this argument:
A) (1) is unsound. The rule is that 'a difficulty’s name must be unrelated to a username', not that it must be unrelated to a user. Therefore, 'Noldstalgic' is not rankable, 'Posthumous' has nothing to do with 'nold_1702' this username, so it is rankable.

B) Even if the interpretation of the rule is that 'a difficulty's name must be unrelated to a user or username', your argument is still invalid. 'Posthumous' has nothing to do with my user. It is true that (2) is sound, but (3) does not follow (2). I have no control over the choice of other mappers' diff name. What do you mean by (2) and (3) is that if other users have also used the diff name [Posthumous] then it will be rankable for me to use [Posthumous]. The absurdity of this conclusion is plain and unacceptable. If this is all the argument is about, I can simply ask a few mappers to submit a map with the diff name [Posthumous] and the problem will be solved. I am, indeed, not being serious. What I am suggesting is that the conclusion is an absurdity.

C) Storyboard relation. Enable the SB and watch the last part (white silouhette). The word posthumous is related to the storyboard.

D) Precedent. https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=736300&m=0 this map was ranked after the rule was passed. If no one was forced to change the diff name to [Nold's Hell] or [Nold's Extra], I see no reason why I should be forced to change the diff name here.

E) You quoted peppy on the disqualification thread:

peppy wrote:

My goal here is to avoid the difficulty name becoming a way of determining the mapper. This is an unintended use and I will never stand for it.
The rule is a result of the consensus of the community, not peppy alone. His opinion is of course highly authoritative, but if the words of the rule is 'username' not 'user', the community consensus is clear. Also, what he said is open to interpretation as well.

F) see also pw's arguments above about [Posthumous] being indicative of the difficulty of the map. Your counter argument is that the word means post-orbituary and does not mean 'hell'. I can also argue that the word 'hell' means a place where atheists may go after death where they will suffer. It does not mean insane/extra. Therefore, the diff name [Hell] should also not be used. And again, I am not being serious here but that the absurdity of the logic behind this argument is obvious.

Any one of the above arguments is a sufficient justification for the employment of [Posthumous]
Lexii
nooo not again D;
Ascendance
posthumous cause it's gonna be ranked after nold is dead on osu

imo this is another case where some random peppy quote from 1945 gets thrown into something where it's not really needed. you're basically blaming nold for something entirely out of his hands. he can't tell a mapper "hey use posthumous as a diff name so that way it's less connected to me", it makes no sense. it just HAPPENS to be that nold uses the diff name and he is the most popular attribute to it.
Topic Starter
Ulysses
Will apply mods later today. Please if any person has any concern/issue to bring up, bring it up now.
Topic Starter
Ulysses

Kuron-kun wrote:

A few additions to Mo's post:

[General]
  1. Might consider adding a higher volume to this section 01:05:344 - since it blends with the song a bit, specially in lower diffs, where you don't have a lot of triples to stand out. Would suggest 50% so you don't have to rework much of the volume later.
:arrow: It is intended cause this part is more quiet.

[Normal]
  1. I'm really unsure about this diff's density, specially that it's more confusing and more dense than an usual Normal. Patterns like 01:40:421 (2,3,1) - and 02:03:190 (1,2,1) - might be really confusing to new players. You're also using 3 different snaps (1/2, 1/1 and 1/4) and adding too much complexity in these rhythms isn't the best idea. I'd suggest to nerf sections where you mixed a lot of snaps/rhythms but at least consider increasing the AR to 5.
:arrow: It fits into the spread well and that's ok. First of all players playing normal aren't new players. New players play easy. And If they find it confusing to read, so be it. We cannot, let's say, to keep normal and easy totally readable to new players and then put all the patterns that require reading skill in hard. The jump will not be reasonable. And in my opinion, the patterns you mention are easily readable because of the use of new combo colour. Players know that they need to hit (1) and then (2) and then (1) in another colour.
Then you say the rhythm choice isn't a good idea. I disagree. there is no stream(1/4 notes) in the diff. All 1/4 objects are sliders. They require no skills as to reading nor streaming. Players see that they are sliders, they will click and hold.

[Hyper]
  1. 00:32:575 (1,2,3,1,1) - Cool section but stacking kinda makes it look REALLY messy https://i.imgur.com/NhvGUGN.png. Consider adjusting these. :arrow: Done
  2. 02:32:883 (2) - More than 1 reverse in a slider is already unexpected enough but adding a circle there might be unrankable as it's covering the repeat arrow and it makes it even more unexpected. Moving this slider a bit more to the right, where 02:32:729 (1) - doesn't cover the arrow is the best idea. :arrow: ok
[yf's Insane]
  1. AR is way too low for diff's density... it's already confusing enough and I don't see much reasoning in lowering the AR to make it more less readable as the mapset isn't focusing in this. AR9 (or higher?) is much better.
:arrow: I find AR 8.5 just fine. It is readable to me and I am a 5-digit, the kind of player who this diff is designed for. This AR is reasonable. readability aside, this AR gives nostalgia because old maps are generally with lower AR.

[Drop's Extra]
  1. 00:16:960 (1,1) - I'm pretty sure you didn't want to use this kind of snap here since it's impossible to sightread it.
:arrow: this is a mistake I believe. Done.
Topic Starter
Ulysses

-Mo- wrote:

The storyboard is really well made. However I just need to ask

:arrow: done

It's not as if there's anything after the main SB that's worth leaving in anyway, and this is probably the source of why this map keeps crashing people's games.

While this is down I have a few other minor things to point out:

Kloyd's Extra
- 03:59:806 (1,1) - Should this not be spaced out like you did at 00:15:806 (1,1) ? :arrow: It is a mistake. Thanks.
- 01:40:344 (3) - 01:41:883 (3) - 01:44:037 (3) etc - These places where the second object in a triple is using a soft sampleset sounds really weird for feedback to me, since surrounding this with objects that use the normal sampletset kinda drowns out the sound of these. :arrow: Agree. Done.
- 01:51:652 (3,4,5) - I get that your stacks are all supposed to be custom, but I think this came out in an a less than ideal way. :arrow: Agree. Done.

Storyboard
- 03:44:114 - The Bad Apple reference seems to have a noticable amount of aliasing, which is out of place when the other silhouettes in this scene have decent quality. :arrow: Well, I cant find a better animation than this. For me it is not that noticeable I guess it is fine.
- 03:43:960 - There's some particles in the lower right that seems to have snuck their way in from the previous scene. Same kind of thing happens over at 02:13:883 too. :arrow: They are not noticeable if you watch the SB in full speed. I will avoid fixing this manually because it will take me some hours to fix it.
Topic Starter
Ulysses
The map is ready to be bubbled and qualified.
I am not sure if it is a good idea to cause Bubblun any more trouble as I can imagine this map has made some negative impact on his BN performance perception already given that it is disqualified twice and the bubble was popped once. Any BN willing to rebub/qualify?

And if anyone has the map now and decides to bring up some issues, please do it as soon as possible.
Hollow Delta
Yo.

To be real, it's not a big deal. Most of the stuff brought up are things I wouldn't have noticed on my own, so in the meantime while I try to learn them I'm glad they pointed them out.

I'd be happy to icon whenever it's ready.
Hollow Delta
Given permission by Nold to place the bub back. I scanned over every std diff and clarified the SB issue was fixed.
MaridiuS
Hey nold, I thought discussion would have happened by now relating your rhythm choice for the 01:34:882 - this section. So in general I'm just struggling real hard to understand your intentions between multiple arrangements. Let's begin with choices in which I currently can not see any logic.

1. 01:34:882 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - right off the bat you do some kind of 1/4 slider spam. The song does different sounds between 01:34:882 (1) - and 01:35:036 (2) - yet its mapped the same. Goes to most (1)'s vs (2)'s in this part.
  2. 01:35:498 (1,2,1,2) - I can't see any reason for raised slider velocity, especially for 01:35:805 (1,2) - where there are no loud vocals no synth or no real change in the music that I can hear of to warrant this.
  3. 01:37:959 (3) - You randomly put in a 1/2 slider without doing it consistently like here 01:35:652 (2) - for the same sound.
  4. 01:38:267 (1,2) - General the issue is that you're using 1/4's on really weak notes like (2) in same way as strong notes like (1) which follows the vocal. Same concern here 01:38:575 (1,1,1) - . I currently do not understand the appeal of this overmapping.
  5. 01:39:498 (1,1,1,1,2,1,2) - This comes out of nowhere, there are multiple places where you can use this gimmick like here 01:34:882 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - where the first two sliders will be slow for the synth but in the part I linked second is just a 1/4 spam.
  6. 01:44:729 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - I don't hear any progression in the song or degression for such patterns. Also this gimmick and slidershapes don't resemble anything else in the section till now and you suddenly did these circular sliders without any strong change in the song. 01:47:190 (1,1,1,1) - same concern here.

7. On a side note this section 01:54:883 - : 02:02:421 (2) - 02:08:575 (2) - 02:12:267 (2) - when you follow the piano multiple times in a row with a triple it becomes recognizible and intuitive. But when you suddenly stop doing on these 3 sliders I just cannot grasp the rhythm as nothing becomes recognizable at that point even though the song didn't really change.
I mean I get that there's a lot of overmapping going on but it should be done with a reason which I don't see fitting as of yet. Once you reply I can offer some suggestion when I better understand your ideas.
Garalulu
talked about minor hitsound issue and structure of outro, mania seems fine for me
IRC with Tofu
14:38 Tofu1222: nostalgic :thinking:
14:38 Garalulu: :thinking:
14:39 Tofu1222: are you just called to look at them in the dq discussion lol
14:39 Garalulu: hehe
14:40 Garalulu: seems well structured
14:40 Garalulu: btw did you hitsound this?
14:40 Garalulu: yourself
14:40 Tofu1222: didn't i?
14:41 Garalulu: I have some question about first part
14:41 Garalulu: do you have a time
14:41 Tofu1222: just a sec i am gonna bubble another map lol
14:41 Garalulu: o
14:41 Garalulu: oki
14:41 Garalulu: #workhard
14:42 Tofu1222: you can post your concerns to here first
14:42 Tofu1222: i will look at it later
14:42 Tofu1222: owo
14:42 Garalulu: oki doki
14:57 Tofu1222: k back :p
14:58 Garalulu: hoi
14:59 Garalulu: are you ready now
14:59 Tofu1222: y
14:59 Tofu1222: ye
15:00 Garalulu: 00:08:729 - 00:09:960 - seems you forgot to add soft-hitnormal35 at this part, actually the same part 01:53:344 - 01:54:575 - have it
15:03 Tofu1222: all applied
15:04 Garalulu: 02:14:498 - at MX, it has not any sound when I play this part with 25% tho
15:04 Garalulu: if you wanna add that echo, it should be 02:14:460 -
15:05 Tofu1222: anyway deleted w
15:09 Garalulu: 03:44:114 - 03:52:729 - at MX, there are some sub drum sound, I recommand to add it for difference with intro part
15:10 Tofu1222: do you mean add a note for each timeline?
15:10 Garalulu: no that part
15:11 Garalulu: ex) 03:44:806 -
15:12 Tofu1222: 03:46:190 - 03:47:421 - do you think there are sub drum sounds at these points?
15:13 Garalulu: no, the drum that sounds like 03:53:267 (233267|3) -
15:14 Garalulu: as you showed like that
15:14 Tofu1222: 03:44:806 - 03:46:037 - 03:47:267 - 03:48:498 - so i only add these kinds
15:14 Tofu1222: and etc
15:14 Tofu1222: till the end
15:14 Garalulu: yap
15:14 Tofu1222: done
15:14 Garalulu: oki seems fine for me
15:14 Garalulu: :3
15:15 Tofu1222: oki
15:15 Tofu1222: nold might not update very soon but if you can recheck once he updated please post in the forum saying that mania is ready
15:15 Tofu1222: owo
15:15 Tofu1222: or you may post now if you are sure bout it
15:15 Tofu1222: xd
15:16 Garalulu: I'm posting now
15:16 Garalulu: :D
15:16 Tofu1222: maybe with this log so i can kds you
15:16 Tofu1222: ye
Topic Starter
Ulysses
EDIT: I decided not to award MaridiuS a kd because he seems to have an ill intention in posting this 'mod post'.
The first and the second problems he points out in the post are contradictory. Moreover, he offers no suggestions as to how to improve the rhythm (which he thinks is problematic). All the issues he metions are no issues in my eyes. I will explain why aren't they below. And he waited until the map is bubbled(again) and posted a post pointing out all the problems despite that he had the map long before (and has looked over it before)
However, staff are welcome to award him a kd if they deem his mod post kd worthy.
But if he can prove that he does not have an ill intention, I am more than happy to award him a kd and consider his suggestions again (if he can disprove my reply).

MaridiuS wrote:

Hey nold, I thought discussion would have happened by now relating your rhythm choice for the 01:34:882 - this section. So in general I'm just struggling real hard to understand your intentions between multiple arrangements. Let's begin with choices in which I currently can not see any logic.

1. 01:34:882 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - right off the bat you do some kind of 1/4 slider spam. The song does different sounds between 01:34:882 (1) - and 01:35:036 (2) - yet its mapped the same. Goes to most (1)'s vs (2)'s in this part. :arrow: The sounds are different in pitch. One can only map a slider or a circle (or a spinner). A circle won't fit in this instance. So I mapped it with two sliders. Then one may wonder why are they the same despite the difference in pitch. I answer, they aren't identical, they are although the same in shape, yet different in rotation. Apart from SV I cannot envisage another way to better reflect this different in pitch, yet the pitch aren't that different drastically that allows me to change the SV so noticeably. Two sliders with the same SV are reasonable.
  2. 01:35:498 (1,2,1,2) - I can't see any reason for raised slider velocity, especially for 01:35:805 (1,2) - where there are no loud vocals no synth or no real change in the music that I can hear of to warrant this. :arrow: first you said there should be some difference in (1) and (2) in the first pattern as suggested in the mod above, then when there's real difference you tell me there shall not be any difference? The pitches at 01:34:883 (1,2,1,2) are rather (but not too strictly) flat; whereas 01:35:498 (1,2,1,2) are changing from low to high and then from high to low. If I mapped them with the same SV it would be just the same as 01:35:498 (1,2,1,2), then the map wouldn't reflect the high low pitch changes.
  3. 01:37:959 (3) - You randomly put in a 1/2 slider without doing it consistently like here 01:35:652 (2) - for the same sound. :arrow: at 01:37:960 (3) there is just a drum sound. at 01:37:344 (1,1) there are two sounds: drum and the how-should-I-name-it sound (you know what I mean). Check the sound track if you don't understand.
  4. 01:38:267 (1,2) - General the issue is that you're using 1/4's on really weak notes like (2) in same way as strong notes like (1) which follows the vocal. Same concern here 01:38:575 (1,1,1) - . I currently do not understand the appeal of this overmapping. :arrow: There is no such issue. The fact that the sound at which (1) hits has a vocal does not make the sound in question stronger. And the sliders are to bring about the vibe.
  5. 01:39:498 (1,1,1,1,2,1,2) - This comes out of nowhere, there are multiple places where you can use this gimmick like here 01:34:882 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - where the first two sliders will be slow for the synth but in the part I linked second is just a 1/4 spam. :arrow: The music slows down and thereby lower SV. It isn't a gimmick, it is just lower SV.
  6. 01:44:729 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - I don't hear any progression in the song or degression for such patterns. Also this gimmick and slidershapes don't resemble anything else in the section till now and you suddenly did these circular sliders without any strong change in the song. 01:47:190 (1,1,1,1) - same concern here.
    :arrow: I'm sorry but there are different ways to reflect a song. Just because I use one way to reflect the song in the first part does not necessarily mean I HAVE TO use the same way to reflect the song in the second. And there is no strict rule nor convention that restricts such creativity. Your argument is a dangerous one yo make. It applies to patterns as well, such as: you use a slider, note, note, then a slider in this pattern, and in the next pattern you use a note, note, note and then slider, the two patterns do not resemble each other. This is a ridiculous argument to make. We aren't robots. We do (and are allowed to) express the song in different ways.

7. On a side note this section 01:54:883 - : 02:02:421 (2) - 02:08:575 (2) - 02:12:267 (2) - when you follow the piano multiple times in a row with a triple it becomes recognizible and intuitive. But when you suddenly stop doing on these 3 sliders I just cannot grasp the rhythm as nothing becomes recognizable at that point even though the song didn't really change.
:arrow: still intuitive.

I mean I get that there's a lot of overmapping going on but it should be done with a reason which I don't see fitting as of yet. Once you reply I can offer some suggestion when I better understand your ideas.
The problem with your arguments is that you perceive mapping fundamentally different from how I regard them. Your way of mapping is that 'Oh there is a piano sound, I should map a note; oh there is another piano sound, I should map another note, I shouldn't put a slider, because I previously put a note for piano, therefore for all piano sounds there should be a note. Your way of mapping is mechanical (although I have seen none of your maps, from your mod I can see your logic), which I strongly disagree. Mapping is expressionist. It is not to be regarded as the slaughterhouse of creativity or a factory. It is about how the mapper brings up the vibe, how the mapper perceives the song and how the mapper expresses how he perceives it to be. It is nothing like a factory where all products are the same.

I do not anticipate your suggestions will be of any use (if you decide to bring them up) given that we are in different universes when it comes to mapping. But if you have the leisure and time, please bring them up anyway.

And be aware that usually there are only two options for mappers, sliders and circles. If the song changes by one pitch and then the mapper has to make changes accordingly, it will be on the one hand as I said above, purely mechanical and artificial, and it will become a pain to map, on the other. Those changes are to be taken into account, but they do not necessarily mean one has to follow strict. There are a thousand ways to interpret the bible. And remember your way is not the law towards which everyone has to bend.
Topic Starter
Ulysses
Popping my bubble for 2 changes:

(1) Deleted 9 lines in the osb file. (t1 that goes to the next scene, -Mo- mentioned about this problem in his mod post)
(2) Updated Tofu's two mania diffs. They are minor changes (as suggested by Garalulu) and it was mainly the hitsounds that were changed.
MaridiuS
I'm speechless, good luck.
Skystar
03:29:960 (1,2) - make this a triplet too like 03:31:190 (4,5,6) - ? it's sad to miss such a cool rhythm by just putting two kick sliders

i think the two kicks would fit 03:30:267 - here more
Lirai
Hi i think i found some unsnapped timing and some of HSset conflict

[Hard]
00:00:114 - timing must have same set hitsound with the greenline

[Drop's Extra]

02:32:929 -
02:33:029 -
02:33:129 -
02:33:329 -
02:33:429 -
02:33:529 -
02:33:929 -
03:39:888 -
^^Are they unsnapped for some reasons?

[Posthumous]

[Crystal's Rain]
03:39:883 - Unsnapped SV

Since i didn't how to mod std,ctb and taiko, i guess that's all i can say. Mania is already good to go.
Good Luck
Topic Starter
Ulysses
Applied the mods above.
2 more changes:
1. Added hitsound for 00:55:498 - 01:13:498
2. Deleted Applause.wav (because there is no other skin for the result page) and taiko hitsounds (because otherwise the file is too big to upload and they are same as default anyway)

Mo please qualify/rebubble.
Ascendance
Nominated
Topic Starter
Ulysses
:( I thought it would have been a heart. 24 more hours and then 7 more days, when will it end :(
Ascendance

nold_1702 wrote:

:( I thought it would have been a heart. 24 more hours and then 7 more days, when will it end :(
Sorry :( There were major changes concerning gameplay, so it'll need 24 hours before bubble and heart
Topic Starter
Ulysses

Ascendance wrote:

nold_1702 wrote:

Sorry :( There were major changes concerning gameplay, so it'll need 24 hours before bubble and heart

Well at least in the past 17 days I qualified two maps qualified one map twice :)
Topic Starter
Ulysses
Changes:
1. replaced space.jpg with space.png
2. changed one line regarding the scale of space.png.
-Mo-
Final final things just in case you can't get my discord message:

Drop: 03:37:037 (2) - Add clap

Kloyd: 01:40:960 (6) - 03:10:806 (6) - 03:42:190 (3) - Auto sampleset because feedback

02:13:883 - Two more particles to kill that came from the previous scene that you missed
Topic Starter
Ulysses

-Mo- wrote:

Final final things just in case you can't get my discord message:

Drop: 03:37:037 (2) - Add clap

Kloyd: 01:40:960 (6) - 03:10:806 (6) - 03:42:190 (3) - Auto sampleset because feedback

02:13:883 - Two more particles to kill that came from the previous scene that you missed
done. Please double check the SB animations, especially the snake game animation because it is not showing up on my computer but I checked the code and the images they are fine. So maybe it is my PC's problem.
-Mo-
Good luck, Nold.
Kuron-kun
hype!
pw384
hype!
Nao Tomori
its v1, don't need hype...
Topic Starter
Ulysses
[Crystal's Platter]
01:41:960 (4) - edge dash
Ascendance
It’s not unrankable but CLSW will have it DQ’d anyways to fix things
Deif
Let's get it fixed. Disqualified on mapper's request!
Topic Starter
Ulysses
done.
Ascendance
Platter looks better now!
Deif

-Mo- wrote:

Good luck, Nold.
_handholding
00:11:190 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - cross screen jumps so early in the map for such a relatively calm part of the song feels very unfitting imho
Topic Starter
Ulysses

Kisses wrote:

00:11:190 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - cross screen jumps so early in the map for such a relatively calm part of the song feels very unfitting imho
not a calm part.
jumps in the beginning of the map is not a problem.
very fitting imho.
see early replies for more info.
_handholding

nold_1702 wrote:

Kisses wrote:

not a calm part.
jumps in the beginning of the map is not a problem.
very fitting imho.
see early replies for more info.
im not prepared to spend 2 hrs digging through 24 pages of mod posts, can you just explain here?

I can actually play through most of the map (expect the streams and a few gimmick patterns). The chorus is much more intense (song-wise) yet the spacing and difficulty is drastically lower
Topic Starter
Ulysses
The chorus has more soundtracks but the sounds in the beginning is more intense. The chorus doesn’t have that much 1/4. Also the vibe in the begining is more tense.

I will stop here because enough reasons have been provided for that part. If you aren’t okay with that part, report this map.
prometheus_v
add my gd now plz
allo 10,41 stars with low cs