forum

When to Transition from Hard to Insane?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros
I want to ask if there is a Specific pp Range or
Things that I should be able to do
Before one can transition to Insane Maps.
I just want to know the details or things
You can do or the Specific pp Range when
You guys started playing Insane Maps.
Wishes
I think I was around the same pp as you when I started to do Insanes (4*+) so I think you may be ready. Just try it. If you can't pass any of them even trying hard, you're not ready. Simple as that. If you can pass a few maps then you are ready to get into it.
worst fl player
play more
Full Tablet
I don't think you need to take the decision to transition from Hard to Insane at some moment. There are so many ranked maps, that you can increase the difficulty of the beatmaps you play in a near continuum rather than doing it in pronounced steps.
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros

RingSystem wrote:

play more
The most overused statement. Anyways playing more doesn't always apply to other
people like myself. My brain tend to stick information's that are repetitive. So If I was
just playing more and always missing. I'll soon be a choker. But for some they
actually improve. :)

Wishes wrote:

I think I was around the same pp as you when I started to do Insanes (4*+) so I think you may be ready. Just try it. If you can't pass any of them even trying hard, you're not ready. Simple as that. If you can pass a few maps then you are ready to get into it.
I tried playing like 3.8 star maps just before I try the crazy things. I can actually see circles more clearly than
when I was stuck playing 3* back then. It felt as if the map slowed down. Is it a sign that i'm ready? :D
Wishes

KuroganeKuros wrote:

Wishes wrote:

I tried playing like 3.8 star maps just before I try the crazy things. I can actually see circles more clearly than
when I was stuck playing 3* back then. It felt as if the map slowed down. Is it a sign that i'm ready? :D
Just go and try it. If it's too hard, as in you're literally not passing anything, go back down in difficulty. No use theorizing over it, nobody knows but yourself.
winber1
now
Yujin Senpai

KuroganeKuros wrote:

RingSystem wrote:

play more
The most overused statement. Anyways playing more doesn't always apply to other
people like myself. My brain tend to stick information's that are repetitive. So If I was
just playing more and always missing. I'll soon be a choker. But for some they
actually improve. :)
There is a reason why people tell you to play more, cause it actually is the best way to improve.
If you believe in that BS you just wrote then idk what else to say.
Your playtime is 11 hours so pls for the love of god practice some basics before you even think about playing 4*
worst fl player

Yujin Senpai wrote:

There is a reason why people tell you to play more, cause it actually is the best way to improve.
If you believe in that BS you just wrote then idk what else to say.
Your playtime is 11 hours so pls for the love of god practice some basics before you even think about playing 4*
well said
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros

Yujin Senpai wrote:

Why do people take long breaks if it's a matter of playing a lot more to improve?
Why can't they just play everyday for 3 hours straight if it's a matter of playing more?
Wishes

KuroganeKuros wrote:

Yujin Senpai wrote:

Why do people take long breaks if it's a matter of playing a lot more to improve?
Why can't they just play everyday for 3 hours straight if it's a matter of playing more?
You don't take a long break because you want to improve by doing nothing. You take a break because of other commitments or you're no longer interested in the game. I doubt many people decide to themselves: "Hey you know what? I really think I could improve my osu skills by not playing for half a year!"

Obviously days or a week break, etc, can be good for health and helping the brain consolidate new information or whatever, so you feel as if you've gained skill by taking a break. But if you don't play for a long time there's no way you're improving overall.
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros

Wishes wrote:

You don't take a long break because you want to improve by doing nothing. You take a break because of other commitments or you're no longer interested in the game. I doubt many people decide to themselves: "Hey you know what? I really think I could improve my osu skills by not playing for half a year!"

Obviously days or a week break, etc, can be good for health and helping the brain consolidate new information or whatever, so you feel as if you've gained skill by taking a break. But if you don't play for a long time there's no way you're improving overall.
Oh so that's why people end up taking breaks.
This forum is really a good way to gain so much information. :)
I have a feeling that my hours played in the internet is not the same with how I usually play.
Actually I play 2 hours everyday but I don't think it adds up to the hours played in my info.
DXPOHIHIHI
Wen you can get 98%+ acc on 3*
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros

szkiller wrote:

Wen you can get 98%+ acc on 3*
It's all good then :lol:
Yujin Senpai

KuroganeKuros wrote:

Wishes wrote:

Oh so that's why people end up taking breaks.
This forum is really a good way to gain so much information. :)
I have a feeling that my hours played in the internet is not the same with how I usually play.
Actually I play 2 hours everyday but I don't think it adds up to the hours played in my info.
Thank you Wishes for answering his question I didn't see the responses until now.
Yeah the playtime feels a lot less than it actually is. My guess is that it only keeps counting when you play a song.
To answer your question when to move on in star rating: Just keep playing and try it out if you fail keep playing 3* until you get a little bit better.
I can tell you from my experience that there are a lot of song between 4 and 4.2 * that are actually really hard to play even for me cause the AR and spacing is really weird sometimes. Star rating is not always a good indicator.
loveleft
how are you already on the verge of playing insanes at only 11 hours play time? that's actually pretty crazy o.o i couldn't really play 4* maps for at least a month after i started
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros

loveleft wrote:

how are you already on the verge of playing insanes at only 11 hours play time? that's actually pretty crazy o.o i couldn't really play 4* maps for at least a month after i started
Someone said that I should play offline sometimes, I
often played offline when I was playing easy or normal maps. :D
My brother on the other hand played a hell of a ton.
His online name is : KuroganeSuoh

Yujin Senpai wrote:

Thank you Wishes for answering his question I didn't see the responses until now.
Yeah the playtime feels a lot less than it actually is. My guess is that it only keeps counting when you play a song.
To answer your question when to move on in star rating: Just keep playing and try it out if you fail keep playing 3* until you get a little bit better.
I can tell you from my experience that there are a lot of song between 4 and 4.2 * that are actually really hard to play even for me cause the AR and spacing is really weird sometimes. Star rating is not always a good indicator.
Yeah sometimes the star rating doesn't accurately indicate how hard a map can be.
I have even encountered a 3* map that nearly killed my fingers because there is so much streams. :lol:
Thanks for all those informative feedback's. :)
loveleft
wow, you must have played a ton offline then! to go from easy/normals to insanes in 11 days is pretty impressive. also looks like you're catching up to your brother in skill already!
Topic Starter
KuroganeKuros

loveleft wrote:

wow, you must have played a ton offline then! to go from easy/normals to insanes in 11 days is pretty impressive. also looks like you're catching up to your brother in skill already!
Yes I'm nearly getting to him. :)
But he's just taking a break because he's been so busy on college stuff.
After he finished those he would come back to playing osu!
I would need to catch up to him again lol
Your also great in your own way. :D
Shoy

KuroganeKuros wrote:

I can actually see circles more clearly than

It's a sign you improved on your reading ability.
Being able to read doesn't mean being able to tap properly tho.

There's no good answer to your question, if we're talking in Playtime.
I started to really go into Insane maps around 150h of playtime because I wanted to get real basics on Hard maps.
You'll see people who are unable to play any Insane at 200-250-300 hours of playtime, and on the other side, some people who'll make it easy after not even 50-100 hours.
As long as you're feeling you're ready, then go for it.

If you want my opinion, I think you should stay on 3-3.99* a little longer.
You may be ready to pass some 4-4.99* maps, but I don't think you're ready to really play it.
Depends what you're looking for.
Insyni
Don't forget you can work in small ranges. (3.5-3.6 star maps) (3.6-3.7 star maps) (3.7-3.8 star maps) etc....

Are you comfortable with reading various patterns at that difficulty? Are there any maps you struggle with at that range? If you missed, why did you miss? Were you not paying attention? Are you getting 98%+ in a range, then practice around the 95% range or even the 88-92% range if you're understanding your mistakes.

Remember, it's more about practicing your weaknesses and solidifying your strengths in each range... so having a lot of songs can help.

Though to answer your question directly... 33k plays and 661 hours in, I'm not comfortable with 4-4.5 star maps. But that is just due to a lack of play time consistency. More realistically, if you can get 2k+ plays in a month... it should take 1-5 months depending on your mindset and approach.
rekhichem
don't limit yourself with maps difficulty names , if you want to play "insane" maps or whatever just do it , as long as you're having fun feel free do play whatever the firetruck you have on your maps list , now if you want to climb the leader and play competitively then you should just challenge your self and set up goals like "get an S or an A here on this map" , "pass that map" and so on until it comes eventually.
Oh Hyuk
TL:DR: Most insane maps around 4.5* mark give at least 100pp based on acc. Things you should be able to do are the things i listed below.

For me insane maps start around 4.5*(most insane's around that star level give at least 100pp depending on if you have good acc). When I was still playing hard maps; the one thing I notice when I switched was the change in rhythm, and speed. Imo anything below 4.4* is pretty uniform and static, and so the jump between difficulties is huge.

Somethings that should be innate when you transition between difficulties(self explanatory), being able to play:
  1. AR 9 and higher(this one is important)
  2. Higher drain and OD(this one is important)
  3. Higher BPM
  4. Doubles, Triplets, and small streams
  5. Wider jumps and more complex jump patterns like stars or squares
*most of these things, I was able to do when and before I switched*

I'm sure there is more, I just can't think of them on the top of my head. Maybe before you transition; work on flow, and the doubles and triplets like I listed above. You don't see much streams in insane diffs around that star level, so I wouldn't worry.

The reason why I put emphasis on AR and drain is because: if you can't read the AR and click the circles accurately; it literally doesn't matter about how much you practiced or how much you prepared, you would just die from the drain or miss entirely.

The bottom line is: You shouldn't be looking that far ahead yet(I based this on your profile), instead focus on getting those skills up
Genjuro
the transition from hards to insanes is one of the roughest ones, As someone mentioned before, there’s alot of ranked maps so you can fill the gap by playing light insanes.

My advice would be to get used to the high ar that insanes use, which is usually 8-9 compared to 7-8 which most hards use so you can read the patterns properly.

After that, you should try and learn how to use both fingers for more dense rhythms.

practice and have fun!
kai99
800-1200pp