forum

Warning players that unknowingly play converted maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,824
show more
Tyistiana

Byza wrote:

New players can’t possibly know that there are specifically designed beatmaps for every gamemode and they usually get the wrong impression from a certain game mode by playing automatically converted beatmaps that do not reflect the actual gameplay of the mode: they can be boring and repetitive and they don’t meet the quality standards from mode-specific maps.

We have found people commenting on social media about osu!taiko and osu!mania, negatively reviewing our game. Opinions like “osu!taiko maps have weird notes, like they don’t belong” “Every note is red”, etc. This happened in a Taiko no Tatsujin environment, in particular. This moved us to do something and we came up with this idea.
So , I guess that the mapping style of osu!catch (converted) and osu!catch is different too.
Even osu!catch converted is not bad or maybe it's better than osu!taiko converted and osu!maina converted.

A technique for osu!catch have a difference to the converted map too. Like CS , AR only 0.5 CS change cause a different technique to play.

So I think that osu!catch should have this feature too. (If possible)
To not make a beginner player get the wrong impression.

PS. I'm out of star to shoot on this best request ever ;;w;;
mulraf
don't you dare saying osu!catch converts are on similar standards to native maps D:
completely agree with this, take my stars
Arrival
really hoping this will get pushed forward
Nitrous
Some Standard maps convert well to Catch the Beat, some are just plain too easy. Taiko and Mania don't convert well at all. For the sake of consistency and generalization, we should just let all modes have this warning.
Goost
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ TAKE ALL MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Shawdooow
Good thing converts are just disabled in lazer!
Topic Starter
Byza

Shawdooow wrote:

"so far" they are disabled.
Rizevim
Whoa this is nice :D
Larc
nice idea
Jaye
Next up, warning players that converted maps don't award pp

B^)
Tanomoshii Nekojou

Tyistiana wrote:

So , I guess that the mapping style of osu!catch (converted) and osu!catch is different too.
Even osu!catch converted is not bad or maybe it's better than osu!taiko converted and osu!maina converted.

A technique for osu!catch have a difference to the converted map too. Like CS , AR only 0.5 CS change cause a different technique to play.

So I think that osu!catch should have this feature too. (If possible)
To not make a beginner player get the wrong impression.

PS. I'm out of star to shoot on this best request ever ;;w;;
Yup.., osu!catch specific maps have different techniques for mapping and difficulty names.... a warning for o!catch should also be added in case for consistency...
also, please let me shoot stars!! ;D
Edgar_Figaro

Jaye wrote:

Next up, warning players that converted maps don't award pp

B^)
I would welcome that change
Adri

Shawdooow wrote:

I think that they will be brought back when it"s not insignificant enough, because other things have to be done before converted maps :^)

But I really believe that we souldn't remove converts at all, I mean, it's a whole system and it allows to have thousands more maps in smaller gamemodes, and people just want to play songs they like without caring about wether the map is good or not. Keeping or removing converts don't change anything for the "true" maps if it's not some exposure maybe, but this isn't very important if the playerbase is new players ..

Anyway i can't wait to see this feature pushed :P
Jien
Thumbs up for you, sir
Henlo

Byza wrote:

What do we propose?
Each time a player starts playing a standard difficulty automatically converted to osu!taiko and osu!mania, they should receive a warning message, similar to the warning message you receive when you play a loved or qualified beatmap.

“This is an osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!taiko mode
There are specifically created maps for every game mode”

“This is an osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!mania mode
There are specifically created maps for every game mode”

Why?
New players can’t possibly know that there are specifically designed beatmaps for every gamemode and they usually get the wrong impression from a certain game mode by playing automatically converted beatmaps that do not reflect the actual gameplay of the mode: they can be boring and repetitive and they don’t meet the quality standards from mode-specific maps.

We have found people commenting on social media about osu!taiko and osu!mania, negatively reviewing our game. Opinions like “osu!taiko maps have weird notes, like they don’t belong” “Every note is red”, etc. This happened in a Taiko no Tatsujin environment, in particular. This moved us to do something and we came up with this idea.

We want more people to try osu!taiko and osu!mania, and adding this warning could benefit us all.

What do we expect getting from this?
The idea is not “hating” on converted beatmaps but letting new players know that they could be playing maps specifically crafted for that game mode in particular, which actually follow the standards of the current ranking criteria and let them judge by themselves and decide what to play.

A good idea could be adding an option to enable/disable the warning, so players that do know the difference can play converted maps without being bothered by the warning.

An additional suggestion that we don’t know how to exactly implement, would be adding a third line to the warning, specifying the names of taiko and mania difficulties. Surely there are better ways to do this.

“This is an osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!taiko mode
There are specifically created maps for every gamemode
Taiko difficulties are usually named Kantan, Futsuu, Muzukashii, Oni or Inner/Ura Oni”

“This is a osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!mania mode
There are specifically created maps for every gamemode
osu!mania difficulties are usually named EZ, NM, HD or EX”

random example
Names deleted to avoid annoying the people involved

“Seeing this reminds me that I suck in osu!taiko. It makes me dizzy, I am so bad.
By the way, ------, do you play osu!?”

“Yes, and I didn't like it, I tried improving it making it closer to Taiko no Tatsujin, but the community seems to add notes without caring for the rhythm.

This proposal was made by

Taiko Spain Discord Server

Up to this point, ctb players in this thread have stated that CTB could benefit from this warning, because their gameplay is considerably different from actual CTB maps.
yes
mummie
You have my support !! its a great idea to warn new players i told my friends that started playing to look @ the map names for CTB cup/salad/platter ect so they know its a ctb only map but this will warn them aswell
Crumpey
Even though i do like playing me some sick mania converts, the idea of warning players is pretty nifty

Im going to totally ignore this because converts are <3

I support this idea tho, +5
-Cappuchino-
YES
PEPPY-SAMA ADD THIS
theofillus
YESSSSSS. i did that on the past. (yes the first time i played this game i was played some converted beatmap)

firstly i thought 'what the fuck.. this is suck'
because a lot of beats aren't sync with the song...

but i force myself to play for some reason, and realized that maps are converted from Std mode..
M i a u
1+ take my stars good iniciative
Hexikey
Yoo that's a very nice idea !!
xMelonadex
Great idea!
[-Akira-]
I agree plz do!
Swordians
I definitely think CTB/Osu!Catch should be included in this. Converts are playable and fun (unlike Taiko and Mania) but often way too easy. They also don't teach proper techniques because, for example, hyper dashes don't show up in a good 95% of convert maps, whereas they're supposed to show up sparingly in our equiv to hard and as much as the mapper feels fit in our equiv to insane. This means that those 5% of convert maps that DO have hyperdashes are impossible for a player who only ever plays convert maps to clear because they don't have an environment to learn how to use hyperdashes in. Even regular dashes are hard to learn if you only play converts.

We don't have as many maps as other modes, but there's a decent amount by now. Enough that playing maps created specially for the mode doesn't mean being forced to play songs you dislike.
squirrelman1020
To this day, this suggestion still has not been implanted.
Blushing

squirrelman1020 wrote:

To this day, this suggestion still has not been implanted.
I don't necessarily think it needs to be implemented. Each mapset now include special icons and special nomenclature for the difficulties, if you are playing a standard map -> to ctb and you see easy, normal, hard, insane, etc. you know you are not playing a ctb specific. This goes for taiko and mania (even mania includes the key count). Besides playing any map is supposed to be fun regardless, if the player is worried about playing the wrong gamemode but can still play the map then they need to look more carefully.