forum

[resolved] FPS is dropping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zerg
Problem Details:
For some reason after about 15 minutes of playing I start to get some weird lag during songs. Originally it would be at 144hz/144hz (unlimited.) Its as if it's progressively dropping my frames to about 120 FPS on its own while it is at unlimited. I've checked the forums to see if anyone has had any similar problems, but no one seems to have it. My rig shouldn't be an issue.

Things I know/did:
-Drivers are updated
-There is no firewall or any anti-viruses running
-GPU/CPU temp are extremely cool.
-Disabled all overlays
-There are no background applications that would hinder performance (I've restarted and tried separate applications and i'm still lagging ex:discord, steam, launchers etc)
-I've also tried no applications
-Disabled chrome plugins
-Reinstalled tablet/drivers
-Tried/deleted separate skins to see if something might be corrupted
-Played around with Fullscreen and windowed
-Tried Stable and Beta
-Tried Compatibility mode

Computer Specs:
MB: Z97 MSI Gaming 5
Pr: i7-4790k @4.4GHz
Ram: 24GB
GPU: GTX 980
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144hz
Osu! is on a 450g SSD (with plenty of space left)

At this point I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should do before I uninstall and reinstall. I'd like to believe I might be missing something and that it doesn't have to resort to me having a fresh game. Please let me know, I'm open to anything.

The only way I can have it stop lagging is to just exit osu and relaunch. This is extremely tedious.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

My osu version currently is b20171227.2 not the beta.
osu! version: 20180301beta
Unorothox
I have the same problem, it's really really annoying. Thank god I'm not alone on this
GremoriDragon
same problem
Zaxiure
Maybe try and monitor what happends, For example open task manager on the performance tab. And right when the laggspike hits you check what happends. This way you might be able to pinpoint where the issue is coming from.
Unorothox
Did that. I still have no clue what's causing the issue. I think it's probably a bug that hits the CPU really hard because there's nothing in the background that can affects my CPU usage.
Topic Starter
Zerg

Zaxiure wrote:

Maybe try and monitor what happends, For example open task manager on the performance tab. And right when the laggspike hits you check what happends. This way you might be able to pinpoint where the issue is coming from.
It isn't necessarily a lag spike but rather it progressively just slows down. Example: You normally play at 500 fps constant, but after 15 minutes it gradually goes down to 100fps constant with no changes in settings or environment.

I'll try to monitor it though. good thoughts
Topic Starter
Zerg
Update:
-CPU usage is a steady 15% while playing a song, as soon as I started to lag there was no difference in usage.
-GPU was also the same before and after.
-uninstalled a few programs like afterburner and a few things I didn't use.
-uninstalled Osu! and reinstalled on a new 1TB HD

Still no difference boys. I'm lagging after about 15 minutes of gaming.
Unorothox
oof
Zaxiure
It could maybe have something to do with your graphics driver, Maybe you should try to uninstall it through DDU and then reinstall it. Since you haven't stated that you have tried this. I had some recent issues which were driver related so I hope this might help.
Topic Starter
Zerg

Zaxiure wrote:

It could maybe have something to do with your graphics driver, Maybe you should try to uninstall it through DDU and then reinstall it. Since you haven't stated that you have tried this. I had some recent issues which were driver related so I hope this might help.
Reinstalled graphics drivers and unfortunately i'm still lagging

to clarify Osu! is the only game I lag on. All other games have no problems at all. Anyone have any ideas?
Topic Starter
Zerg
Fixed for me: Found a hidden copy of Osu! on another hard drive (active on this computer) that was still here from before I reformatted. Deleted all the files and I'm experiencing no lag what so ever. Thanks for all of the support guys.