forum

Hit a wall, because there's a pattern I am horrible at

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
It has been a little over a month since I started playing Osu!mania. So far i've been playing almost every day and some days I took a short break which hasn't affected my level of gameplay at all.
My current lvl is 2.5* beatmaps, below 2* is too easy. Scroll speed is 20
However, lets take beatmaps like:
Hitorigoto - ClariS by Tofu1222 (Normal [4k])
Alone - Alan Walker by Feerum (Hard [4k])
Animals - Martin Garrix by DrawdeX (HD [4k])
They all have 1 part in common which is sliders combined with more sliders stuck randomly in between and notes also stuck in between.
There is just so much going on I get so confused which key to press and screw up every 20-30 notes.
Now I would like to ask you which way is better to practice this kind of pattern.
Do I just spam the song to "memorize" the pattern or do I play more songs which have this kind of pattern and keep sucking at it until I somehow improve?
According to the "How to improve guide" thread I red, this pattern requires vertical sight reading, and since I suck at that pattern very much, then i no doubt suck at vertical sight reading.
How do I improve my vertical sight reading?
No, I wont "git gud" until I get a little bit of advice from other players who coped with this problem.
Full Tablet
I wouldn't call those notes "a" pattern, but several distinct patterns (most of them not having a specific common name). If you mapped a song without any regard to mapping conventions, but making sure that held notes use LNs, most patterns would end up like this in most songs.

Maps that use those patterns tend to be underrated in star ranking. You can climb in star rating while ignoring maps like this; raising the star rating tends to be more about playing simple patterns really fast than about mastering a wide set of patterns.
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
Is it really 100% okay to not be concerned over those "not patterns" parts?
Maybe it is just me?
They may be kinda randomly placed but I am very concerned that If I won't learn how to properly play them, then it will be harder for me in the future when I will get to much higher difficulty like 3*+ which is a completely different level and much much harder even though they are only 3*+.
And also, do those patterns appear gradually as the level of gameplay raises or just randomly at higher difficulty songs? And how often do they appear?
My goal is to master a wide set of patterns, because this way I could strive higher and improve faster than most people if I do master them at some day.
Full Tablet
Do whatever you find fun to do. You can be a completionist and learn how to play any kind of map, or ignore maps that use certain patterns.

The ranking system is based mostly on star rating, so the most efficient way to rise in the official ranking is to focus on ranked maps that are overrated (relatively simple patterns for their star rating).

Other ways to play in a way you can track your progress:
  1. Practicing for the dan courses and beating them. That way you learn to play maps with patterns that fall under categories that are commonly understood by the player community.
    t/304816
    t/597350
  2. Having as a goal to beat the maps you have installed in order of difficulty, but using your own subjective assessment of the difficulty of each beatmap, instead of relying on star rating.
  3. Using other rankings and difficulty calculators. For example, by playing Etterna (stepmania build) which has a better difficulty calculator than osu!mania's star rating, or this t/329678
Bobbias
If you decide to practice them, then make sure you dont spam the maps and memorize them, because that wont actually teach you to hit that kind of patterning. I would say its best to be good at as many different kinds of patterns as you can. Sometimes patterns you struggled with at low difficulty levels end up becoming some of your favorite patterns to play when you get better.
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken

Bobbias wrote:

If you decide to practice them, then make sure you dont spam the maps and memorize them, because that wont actually teach you to hit that kind of patterning. I would say its best to be good at as many different kinds of patterns as you can. Sometimes patterns you struggled with at low difficulty levels end up becoming some of your favorite patterns to play when you get better.

Yeah there were definitely some patterns which were difficult for me and there still are very very few of them, however, atleast I do see some improvement unlike the LN layering at 4k which i never saw any improvement at all because of how complicated and stamina draining it is.
This is definitely my goal to master a very wide set of patterns.
Thank you for the advice! :)
NightNarumi
I would just play a lot of variation.
It's ok to suck at them in the beginning, after playing it a lot it would become better over time. Maybe your improvement can get unnoticed for a few days (or weeks or even longer), but remember that you're slowly, but surely improving no matter what (unless, well...you know....injuries :D).
nadavv
at that level just playing overall random songs will improve you in all patterns. by the time youll play the average 4* you would destroy the LN patterns in the 3* maps