forum

In Mourning - Colossus

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 12. toukokuuta 2018 at 20:05:12

Artist: In Mourning
Title: Colossus
Tags: the weight of oceans progressive melodic death metal spinefarm records marathon
BPM: 222
Filesize: 15924kb
Play Time: 09:28
Difficulties Available:
  1. Colossus, the Wrath of the Ocean (7,17 stars, 2416 notes)
Download: In Mourning - Colossus
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Can you survive the wrath of the ocean?

Words of truth

Dude prob experienced this himself lul
Metadata
AMX
Gorgeous streams towards end! 10/10. PM me when ur ready for mods and i'll gladly mod it!
Phos-
Hey, m4m from your queue!

[General]
  1. Your soft-sliderslide99 is unused, which goes against the ranking criteria as it states that you mustn't have any useless files in the beatmap folder.
  2. Likewise, the following hitsounds have a delay >5ms:
    soft-hitfinish.wav
    soft-hitfinish2.wav
    soft-hitfinish3.wav
    soft-hitfinish4.wav
    This also goes against the ranking criteria, as it is important that hitsounds provide proper feedback. I would use a program like audacity to get rid of the delay.

[In Collosus]
  1. Combo colour 5 (the dark blue) is too dark. When using a 100% dimmed background, it blends in, causing reading difficulties.
  2. 00:26:110 (1,2,3,4,1) - I'd tone these jumps down a bit, considering that the music is very calm right now. Although drums do make an appearance, the overall intensity of the song isn't enough to justify this spike in difficulty. It'll also make the sudden jumps at 01:16:650 (2,3,1,2) - stand out more.
  3. 00:43:677 (4,1) - I would increase the distance between these two notes. (1) lands on a comparatively strong sound in the music, so it'll better represent the music that way.
  4. 00:50:434 (1,2) - It'll flow better if you moved (2) so that it's in the trajectory of the cursor, as it won't have to do any awkward angle changes. Perhaps an area like x80 y40 would work?
  5. 02:24:488 (2,1) - I would change the shape/angle/position of (1) a bit, because it is directly overlapped by (2). I highly recommend you do this because the ranking criteria states that you should avoid directly overlap slider trails, and that players may have trouble reading it. Even if they could read it, these kind of directly overlapping sliderbodies look a bit out of place and finnicky. Same applies for 02:33:137 (2,1) -
  6. 02:45:299 (3) - Shouldn't this slider start on the red tick after? Because that is where the guitar strum starts, and it is the stronger sound. You've done it this way with 02:45:840 (3) - and etc. so I don't see why this should be any different. Same issue applies for 02:49:623 (3) - , 02:53:948 (3) - , 02:58:272 (3) - , etc.
  7. 02:49:894 (1,2,3) - You know, I think it would be really cool if you kept the circular flow for these sections going one direction throughout. The music is quite repetitive here, so I don't see why you're suddenly making the cursor change direction when the song doesn't call for it - there isn't a strong sound to justify the change in circular flow. Same with 03:02:867 (1,2,3) - , 03:15:840 (1,2,3) - , 03:55:840 (1,2,3) - , 04:00:164 (1,2,3) - etc.
  8. 04:23:947 (1,2,3) - You should reverse the circular flow here, like you've done with 04:18:271 (1,2,3) - and 04:14:487 (1,2,3) - . The consistency is important because I thought you only reversed circular flow on the strong sound, or when the grizzly vocal kicks in, but this pattern breaks that idea. Same goes for 04:39:082 (1,2,3) - too, along with some areas in the second kiai as well. (such as 06:25:838 (1,2,3) - ).
  9. 05:22:460 (2,1) - Perhaps you could move (1) so that it is directly in the middle of the end and head of (2). This'll make it structurally consistent, making it look nicer.
  10. 06:48:540 (1,2,1) - Make it so 06:48:811 (1) - gets the most emphasis out of these notes. Right now, the most emphasised note is (2) which isn't that intuitive since it is on a comparatively weak sound. Moving (2) to an area like x356 y232 or x368 y316 should do the trick
  11. 09:02:861 (1) - Can we please not do this? The map goes from being a highly aim orientated map for 9 whole minutes. And then suddenly at the end, you throw in a massive 100+ note spaced deathstream. Absolutely nothing in the song foreshadows the appearance of this stream later on, so it just appears sudden and unwarranted. Either get rid of this stream, which is what I would recommend; or find places in the song where you can place difficult streams so this doesn't appear so sudden.
Good map. It represents the music quite well, with only a few small emphasis issues. However, you need to make the circular flow consistent in places. In the kiai sections, I see where you were coming from; but for sections like 02:45:029 (1) - and 06:00:973 (1) - then the changes in flow seemed random. Also, fix the stream. Placing an 8* stream on a 9 minute long, non-stream map right at the end isn't good.
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

-Faded- wrote:

Hey, m4m from your queue!

[General]
  1. Your soft-sliderslide99 is unused, which goes against the ranking criteria as it states that you mustn't have any useless files in the beatmap folder. Good catch. Mistake on my part, not necessary to have sliderslide99 when I only use 99 for sliderends (I think)
  2. Likewise, the following hitsounds have a delay >5ms: I remember doing this already, maybe you have old ones? Dunno. Interesting though is that this hitsounds is from osu! default skin iirc, making delay like this unexcepted. Anyways it should be fixed now, checked them.
    soft-hitfinish.wav
    soft-hitfinish2.wav
    soft-hitfinish3.wav
    soft-hitfinish4.wav
    This also goes against the ranking criteria, as it is important that hitsounds provide proper feedback. I would use a program like audacity to get rid of the delay.

[In Collosus]
  1. Combo colour 5 (the dark blue) is too dark. When using a 100% dimmed background, it blends in, causing reading difficulties. Not really having this problem, and I like the shade. Made it little lighter though, maybe it helps.
  2. 00:26:110 (1,2,3,4,1) - I'd tone these jumps down a bit, considering that the music is very calm right now. Although drums do make an appearance, the overall intensity of the song isn't enough to justify this spike in difficulty. It'll also make the sudden jumps at 01:16:650 (2,3,1,2) - stand out more. I think they are fairly fitting though. The sounds are very aggressive compared to what it has been so far, and the spacing is done in similar fashion to sounds of similar fashion later on. There's still some fat on them though so they can be trimmed little without hurting too much.
  3. 00:43:677 (4,1) - I would increase the distance between these two notes. (1) lands on a comparatively strong sound in the music, so it'll better represent the music that way. While it's true there downbeat with fairly strong kick there and whatnot, I like the feeling of this better, considering the most distinct instrument for that atleast for me is that bass with the line that feels like throwing smth that then slowly descends back to earth (or in the thematics of this map, how ship rises to the crest of the wave only to descend back down after -> spacing of this pattern. Also how loud it is aside, most of the time kick doesn't sound very aggressive, but is rather soft sound. Depends on context too though. No change
  4. 00:50:434 (1,2) - It'll flow better if you moved (2) so that it's in the trajectory of the cursor, as it won't have to do any awkward angle changes. Perhaps an area like x80 y40 would work? Not necessary in part like this. Also, imagine curve similar to 00:50:434 (1) - but upwards (or downwards, which would be the right way to say it) between them, continuing from 00:50:434 (1) - on smoothly and it's actually pretty much on the trajectory too.
  5. 02:24:488 (2,1) - I would change the shape/angle/position of (1) a bit, because it is directly overlapped by (2). I highly recommend you do this because the ranking criteria states that you should avoid directly overlap slider trails, and that players may have trouble reading it. Even if they could read it, these kind of directly overlapping sliderbodies look a bit out of place and finnicky. Same applies for 02:33:137 (2,1) - Good point in a way, but with density this low it will pose no problem. Thus actually, the completely overlapping patterning is the idea here. Think of how sometimes sailing against the waves you'd feel you ain't going anywhere but rather bouncing on the same wave again and again. (that's why it's also not used all the time)
  6. 02:45:299 (3) - Shouldn't this slider start on the red tick after? Because that is where the guitar strum starts, and it is the stronger sound. You've done it this way with 02:45:840 (3) - and etc. so I don't see why this should be any different. Same issue applies for 02:49:623 (3) - , 02:53:948 (3) - , 02:58:272 (3) - , etc. Hmm not quite. There is clear difference between those places. When this whole section begins, there is strong dominant guitar chord.
    The first chug (this one you linked) feels rather like it ending than new beginning. Only when similar chugs are done so that they are the sound that breaks the silence of the guitars does it feel like they are the main thing, thus gaining control of the patterning as well.
  7. 02:49:894 (1,2,3) - You know, I think it would be really cool if you kept the circular flow for these sections going one direction throughout. The music is quite repetitive here, so I don't see why you're suddenly making the cursor change direction when the song doesn't call for it - there isn't a strong sound to justify the change in circular flow. Same with 03:02:867 (1,2,3) - , 03:15:840 (1,2,3) - , 03:55:840 (1,2,3) - , 04:00:164 (1,2,3) - etc. What is strong sound and what isn't? One could also say there are strong sounds almost every beat. That's not important here though. Allowing breaking the direction of the flow (that being said the flow ain't even circular all the time anyways) bring more variation possibilities to the table. Due the freedom objects don't collide as much or you don't run out of space. Imo even the thematics feel better with changing direction, since while using one direction each would remind of smth like whirlpool (I actually do it) I like changing the direction more often. It's kinda more like how raging sea kicks you around to all directions.
    While still mostly powering towards only couple (the shores / direction of circulation here). A lot of this will be relevant when you comment about the kiai time as well.
  8. 04:23:947 (1,2,3) - You should reverse the circular flow here, like you've done with 04:18:271 (1,2,3) - and 04:14:487 (1,2,3) - . The consistency is important because I thought you only reversed circular flow on the strong sound, or when the grizzly vocal kicks in, but this pattern breaks that idea. Same goes for 04:39:082 (1,2,3) - too, along with some areas in the second kiai as well. (such as 06:25:838 (1,2,3) - ). I kinda saw this coming.
    Now to be fair, I had no logic in changing the direction (as in not a logic I'd use constantly). It's mostly random in some meaning of the word. Most dominant factor was how I felt (which was based on how I thought it flowed and what kind of space I had I could use for the following ones). Only when I happened to have more freedom in terms of flow and space I kinda thought about if I should implement some emphasis on important parts (which in the end lead most of the stronger parts getting emphasised). But in the end it's not under any logic. Of consistency, it would be fitting to say: "there's nothing constant except change". Similarly to what I may or may not have said above, it's supposed to be like sea raging around with whirlpool type shapes and aggressive direction changes here and there.
  9. 05:22:460 (2,1) - Perhaps you could move (1) so that it is directly in the middle of the end and head of (2). This'll make it structurally consistent, making it look nicer. It's already somewhat in the middle of 05:22:055 (1,2) - though (so in the middle of 2 waves instead of one wave so to say).
    Also this way the spacing between 05:22:460 (2,1) - is more consistent with for example the spacing between 05:22:055 (1,2) -
  10. 06:48:540 (1,2,1) - Make it so 06:48:811 (1) - gets the most emphasis out of these notes. Right now, the most emphasised note is (2) which isn't that intuitive since it is on a comparatively weak sound. Moving (2) to an area like x356 y232 or x368 y316 should do the trick 06:48:540 (1,2) - are way more aggressive sounds than 06:48:811 (1) - (I think I have many other places mapped like this with the snares). That being said, 06:48:811 (1) - sure should be emphasised. And it is, in a way fitting for it imo. This of this pattern like how you are holding your breathe, tensing yourself in preparation for smth, steadily increasing the "intensity", until when the actual thing comes you let your breathe go, relaxing yourself. Similarly here the snares kick in the tension even higher than the kiai was, but then the theoretically emphasised point 06:48:811 (1) - actually feels less intense (with the sounds are less raw spacing) but it's still actually fairly emphasised with the structure. Also from purely practical reasons the spacing is slightly tuned down because the SV gets down so it's more comfortable to transition. And I did this before too see 04:43:136 (3) - while actually here the SV is fairly high, but the spacing is still lowered for the calmer guitar sound.
  11. 09:02:861 (1) - Can we please not do this? The map goes from being a highly aim orientated map for 9 whole minutes. And then suddenly at the end, you throw in a massive 100+ note spaced deathstream. Absolutely nothing in the song foreshadows the appearance of this stream later on, so it just appears sudden and unwarranted. Either get rid of this stream, which is what I would recommend; or find places in the song where you can place difficult streams so this doesn't appear so sudden. Is that graph of the density-related intensity in the map (as in which streams inflate). Anyways, even stream and whatnot aside, that graph ain't too far off from what the songs intensity is tbh lol. That aside, fair concern you have there. And to be fair, I actually have some concerns myself too about this stream too I'll be going over (at some point). But no, the existence of it in some form isn't one of those. If the song gives me a stream, it shall be a stream. I won't discuss about that. The real discussion should be about how I execute the stream (your comment about finding places to insert difficult streams before in the map isn't good idea though, since it's not like the intensity of the ending section makes the section before it any more intense. If there isn't sounds for intense streams before this, I shall not. Thus the real question should be how do I implement this stream that is in the music, while making it of relevant intensity compared to both the map and the song. Compared to song I feel it's cool as is. It has some problems in terms of map though (on which I have gotten some testplayer-feedback), and I'll need to see to that. If in the end changes are to be made, I'll figure out smth. But it's not going to get removed.
Good map. It represents the music quite well, with only a few small emphasis issues. However, you need to make the circular flow consistent in places. In the kiai sections, I see where you were coming from; but for sections like 02:45:029 (1) - and 06:00:973 (1) - then the changes in flow seemed random. Also, fix the stream. Placing an 8* stream on a 9 minute long, non-stream map right at the end isn't good. Well yeah for the flows, just think of it as using similar logic of change as the kiais but with less whirlpools. For the stream, even if it tilted you, the stream is still less than 7,2* lol (I think it's over 8*
with HR though, but the actual intensity of the patterns is more important than SR anyways)
Thanks for the mod!
EDIT: was already wondering why I didn't remember you owing me any mods but then I checked my queue. I'll be modding your map either tomorrow or some day next week (anyways after I have closed the queue and thus actually picked your request)
jeanbernard8865
get mv2 reee

box
  1. first of all, notice how ctrl + a doesnt cover the entirety of the grid, but rather a kind of round-cornered rectangle ; i didnt notice difficulties with moving around the playfield, but keep in mind to use the entirety of the space thats given to you when mapping because it can give you even more liberty regarding object placement

2. 00:50:434 (1,2) - 2 doesnt follow implied slider flow unlike the other iterations of this rhythm, meaning that the flow logic set up throughout the phrase should place it here. thats of course blatently offscreen, so i suggest playing around with 00:50:434 (1) - to find a workaround ( and at the same time avoid the overlap with 00:48:272 (1,1) - since you seem to be preferring perfect stacks when it comes to sliders )

3. 01:03:677 (2,5) - again, this overlap/closeness contradicts the cleaner aesthetics of its context, and there surely is the space to move it slightly upwards

4. 05:56:109 (3) - this particular circles aesthetics stand out because the overlap with 05:55:568 (2) - is different from your usual ones ( they are closer to the sliderend theyre overlapped with in the other cases ) ; that is fine in itself, but it becomes a problem at 05:58:676 (3) - when the same overlap is used with an entirely different rhythm since the player will have associated it with a 1/2 gap instead of a 3/2 one

5. 05:56:649 (1,3) - ew overlap

stream seems fine to me except maybe the section at 09:05:023 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - cause chain 5 note streams kill stamina due to demanding a lot of finger control on top of the aim, also would probably turn 09:12:050 (9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16) - into 4 kicksliders since having the longest stream where the guitar isnt at its highest pitch seems contradictory of the intensity ( rhythmically fine because of the drum kicks as well )

Good luck !
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

AyanokoRin wrote:

get mv2 reee I don't even know how to get mv2 for older maps LUL. That being said I like mv1 anyways, so you just have to bear with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

box
  1. first of all, notice how ctrl + a doesnt cover the entirety of the grid, but rather a kind of round-cornered rectangle ; i didnt notice difficulties with moving around the playfield, but keep in mind to use the entirety of the space thats given to you when mapping because it can give you even more liberty regarding object placement First of all, after skimming through few ranked maps for reference, this is actually better than fairly many. It's pretty much almost all the way used anyways. Actually, imho, using it all the way to the corners just for the sake of using it will more likely create those "difficulties with moving around the playfield" lol. I don't see any poin in this. You shouldn't force the usage of full playfield on mapping but rather comment if the mapper didn't naturally use most of it but rather stuffed his map to specific parts.

2. 00:50:434 (1,2) - 2 doesnt follow implied slider flow unlike the other iterations of this rhythm, meaning that the flow logic set up throughout the phrase should place it here. thats of course blatently offscreen, so i suggest playing around with 00:50:434 (1) - to find a workaround ( and at the same time avoid the overlap with 00:48:272 (1,1) - since you seem to be preferring perfect stacks when it comes to sliders ) Where to begin? Flow isn't really any problem here, section is so calm and sparse flow is almost nonexistent anyways. That's not even relevant though since how it flows is fairly similarly done to the rest, not like it should be to the same direction compared to the slider just for the sake of it. Point is just that the path of the cursor is fairly smooth and the distance is 'bout the same. Now for the overlap, not really gonna happen. Not only are they far away from each other (the former disappears for good before the latter appears. Even in editor.) but there are actual visible pattern ideas I want to preserve (see the fading blanket on 00:49:353 (2,1) - and triple on 00:49:353 (2,3,1) - and then the constant spacings. It's not possible to combine all these with stacking those, and when it's not particularly important issue it'll get skipped)

3. 01:03:677 (2,5) - again, this overlap/closeness contradicts the cleaner aesthetics of its context, and there surely is the space to move it slightly upwards I don't think it's overlapping? But anyways since here I actually can execute it (somehow, it's not "just move it" I have fairly strict things goin on here y'know) I moved it a little

4. 05:56:109 (3) - this particular circles aesthetics stand out because the overlap with 05:55:568 (2) - is different from your usual ones ( they are closer to the sliderend theyre overlapped with in the other cases ) ; that is fine in itself, but it becomes a problem at 05:58:676 (3) - when the same overlap is used with an entirely different rhythm since the player will have associated it with a 1/2 gap instead of a 3/2 one Okay so hold on a second, I didn't quite get what you mean. I see your concerns about 05:55:568 (2,3) - in comparison to other similar places done slightly differently and whatnot and then in comparison to different rhythm such as 05:57:730 (2,3) - getting done differently. That part makes sense, but how'd the change be from 1/2 to 3/2 and not 1/4 as it is there? Typo? Doesn't matter, I don't really see problems with this, so here comes the essay explanation part. Since you didn't have problems with slightly different ways of these for the same rhythms in different places I'll skip that and tackle on the rhythm instead. First, let's compare 05:56:109 (3) - and 05:58:676 (3) - ; actually no need for that much of an explanation, there's no way any player of this maps level would misread 1/4 for 3/2 or the other way. Lol. Also for more overall way, 1/4 always end up with the slider on tick (or rather, the sliderend not on tick) while rhythms up from that have sliderend on some actual sound (not sure if actually 100% of the time but pretty much, and if not, it's still on some more decipherable tick making more sense). Then for more difficult question, like how'd I differentiate 1/1 like 05:27:460 (3,4) - and 3/2 like 05:57:730 (2,3) - ? Well, I'm positive that's still not fairly big of a challenge for actual capable players (that you need to be to actually try to pass this). But skipping that, there's actually what you could use to see the difference, and it's to listen to the music. For examples these places I linked, the 1/1 is in a section that's based on it (or 2/1 or 4/1 or whatever you wanna use for it, point being it's straight) while 3/2 is in section where the base rhythm is 3/2, more swingy and containing those kind of leading notes like the example actually is itself too. TLDR: no change

5. 05:56:649 (1,3) - ew overlap
reee the overlapping object has disappeared long before the next comes lol. Hell, it's almost disappeared before the object before that too. Srsly though, what's your mindset on overlaps? Things like this has absolutely no matter. And this mindset is fairly bad considering there are literally bound to be "unseen overlaps" like this since the playground is so small.

stream seems fine to me except maybe the section at 09:05:023 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - cause chain 5 note streams kill stamina due to demanding a lot of finger control on top of the aim, also would probably turn 09:12:050 (9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16) - into 4 kicksliders since having the longest stream where the guitar isnt at its highest pitch seems contradictory of the intensity ( rhythmically fine because of the drum kicks as well ) Let's begin with the "longest stream". Okay so first of all guitar = stream, pitch ≠ stream. Pitch is only used for spacing, since regardless of the pitch, the guitar is still shredding (if the pitch went really down I'd prob change shit though since the intensity would go down way more than what constant stream would be, not the case here). "But then it's going to be more intense than the higher spaced parts". Is it? In one way true. And anyway, the song is thematically "intensifying" in some way all the way until 09:15:843 - even though the way we perceive it it would have already went down little. No change. For the 5 note groups then. What to say, I sure know it's taxing, but so what? This is what the song gives me. Actually, since I haven't used my thematic metaphors in this mod answer yet (I think) lemme give one here: imagine those drums being like the harsh hits the ocean gives you while you are trying to survive, draining you of energy. Without great focus they'll drown you in a sec. Also, combine with the long stream you had a problem with after this, I think the sections overall intensity is in fairly good balance actually, shifting to slightly different things with these 5s and the longer streams before and after.

Good luck !
Thanks for the mod!
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry
Also now that I remembered, have been testing different stuff regarding the primary concern I have gotten about the stream (the fact that the spacing begins off as high af right off the bat) and frankly none of the ideas catch the music the same way as this current one, so I'll wait for more player feedback (and if possible gonna get some testplay it again so that I see how it works after it's in their knowledge) on this one.
jeanbernard8865

TheKingHenry wrote:

[*]05:56:649 (1,3) - ew overlap[/list] reee the overlapping object has disappeared long before the next comes lol. Hell, it's almost disappeared before the object before that too. Srsly though, what's your mindset on overlaps? Things like this has absolutely no matter. And this mindset is fairly bad considering there are literally bound to be "unseen overlaps" like this since the playground is so small.
i pointed it out because it stood out to me in the editor and i think avoiding these makes for a cleaner structure overall, but its fine if your focus is how it looks in gameplay
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

AyanokoRin wrote:

i pointed it out because it stood out to me in the editor and i think avoiding these makes for a cleaner structure overall, but its fine if your focus is how it looks in gameplay
Rather than focusing on gameplay, I mentioned gameplay as in how in there it disappears even more so quickly than in editor, in which the object still doesn't basically exist on the screen at the time the overlapping one appears. Even more so in this timestamp than the other, earlier one (which is why this one doesn't have comment about the gameplay versus because the time of disappearance is so much before that it's not even relevant anymore to differentiate the two (which you can see from the comment about the object before it too). Basically "unseen overlap" means that as in literally, not in the sense of not being visible in gameplay.
frogyfro
Mod from my queue

Please make that dark blue color even lighter. I still can't see it at all when I play the map, and I don't even use 100% dim.

00:09:894 (4,5,6) - I dislike that 4 5 6 form a wide angle. It encourages players to flow through 5 to 6 which diminishes the suddenness of the snare drum. If you moved 6 up-right of 4 5 or stacked 4 5 I think it would make 6 a lot more striking.

00:42:867 (1,2,3,4,1) - I love how this pattern decelerates but it feels weird that 3 4 and 4 1 have the same spacing. Move 1 closer to 4 to bring the deceleration all the way to the downbeat.

01:15:299 (1,2,3,4) - You should really do something here to reflect the crescendo in the hi hat. Just increasing spacing on each note would probably work well.

01:16:921 (1,2) - This is a completely pedantic suggestion but I don't really like how the stacks in this section feels. Forcing the player to stop moving entirely for 1/1 makes this part feel a lot less intense than I think it should.

01:19:893 (2) - There's no sound here. You need to do this like you did at 01:56:380 (1) -. Same problem at 01:28:542 (2) - 01:37:191 (2) - 01:41:515 (2) - 01:45:840 (2) - and so on.

03:26:921 (6,7,1,2) - I think this spacing is a bit much. I get you want to emphasize the guitar at this part, but it makes 03:28:001 (5,6) - weak by comparison which is problematic.

03:29:353 (1,2,3) - The guitar drops out entirely during 1 and 2 and there's just two weak bass drum hits before the crash + guitar entrance on 3. The way you currently have this arranged gives way too much importance to 1 and 2 and doesn't really reflect the lull in the song imo. I'd just space 1 and 2 down to better contrast them with the drum fill prior and the guitar entrance after. Obviously this doesn't apply to 03:38:002 (1,2) - because of the vocals.

04:47:460 (1,2) - I don't really see what's justifiying cutting the SV in half here. The ones later on like 05:04:757 (1,2) - fit the guitar surprisingly well, but these are a much smaller decrease in SV and they're supported by the guitar. This first one is such a sharp decrease it feels extremely unexpected for no good reason. Personally I'd make the SV decrease the same as the one later on, or just rework this pattern entirely and wait for the guitar to enter before throwing in these SV changes.

05:48:001 (1,2,1) - The long sliders and the pause after 2 is causing you to lose a lot of the momentum this solo has built up. I'd use the accompaniment for some filler rhythm and make this part more rhythmically dense so it doesn't feel so underwhelming.

08:49:618 (7) - Shouldn't this be 2 jumps instead of a slider to accentuate the guitar? You did that later on at 08:53:942 (7,8,1) - .

09:02:861 (1) - I think there's a lot going on this stream you could emphasize better. At 09:07:185 - when the guitar is mostly just the same note over and over again constant spacing makes a lot of sense, but that isn't the case at 09:02:861 -. There's clear peaks at 09:03:537 (11) - and 09:04:145 (4) - that really aren't getting any attention at all. I understand that you don't want to make this stream any more difficult than it already is, but I think making the stream accelerate into 11 instead of using constant spacing would better accentuate what the guitar is doing here, as well as making the transition into the stream less harsh than it currently is.
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

frogyfro wrote:

Mod from my queue

Please make that dark blue color even lighter. I still can't see it at all when I play the map, and I don't even use 100% dim. tuned it slightly

00:09:894 (4,5,6) - I dislike that 4 5 6 form a wide angle. It encourages players to flow through 5 to 6 which diminishes the suddenness of the snare drum. If you moved 6 up-right of 4 5 or stacked 4 5 I think it would make 6 a lot more striking. While it's not bad suggestion at all, I think it's fine the current way. The whole pattern in the music which is 00:09:353 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - (and repeated) is as a overall arching lower in intensity towards the end, even though the final sound is fairly strong each time. Thus I made the angles smoothen towards the end, only emphasising the snare with spacing. That way it feels more like it brings the phrase to end, while sharp angle would be kinda too aggressive for that, since the intensity is supposed to die for the break between 00:10:434 (6,1) - (so the patterns are like occasional waves crashing to the shore)

00:42:867 (1,2,3,4,1) - I love how this pattern decelerates but it feels weird that 3 4 and 4 1 have the same spacing. Move 1 closer to 4 to bring the deceleration all the way to the downbeat. wouldn't be bad idea either, but the downbeat got more going already again (bass drum beat and whatnot, it's like more intense than the one before it; so in the end I decided to triangle it which looks pretty good visually as well

01:15:299 (1,2,3,4) - You should really do something here to reflect the crescendo in the hi hat. Just increasing spacing on each note would probably work well. The crescendo (only with 01:15:569 (2,3,4) - , the first one is stronger) is kinda minor to reflect with spacing difference here, since adding enough spacing for it to be meaningful with 1/1 would end up larger spacing than necessary for sounds like that so I think it's cleaner this way

01:16:921 (1,2) - This is a completely pedantic suggestion but I don't really like how the stacks in this section feels. Forcing the player to stop moving entirely for 1/1 makes this part feel a lot less intense than I think it should. Forcing the player to (almost) stop is kinda the idea of the pattern, I use plenty of these in this map to emphasise the 1/1 and I think they work pretty well imo

01:19:893 (2) - There's no sound here. You need to do this like you did at 01:56:380 (1) -. Same problem at 01:28:542 (2) - 01:37:191 (2) - 01:41:515 (2) - 01:45:840 (2) - and so on. oh shit Nvm seems fine, it's just that they get kinda like drowned by the cymbal reverberations; it's the same quiet pattern like 01:15:569 (2) - ; and even with the most quiet ones like 01:24:218 (2) - it's not really bad even as a filler rhythm (like the most simple out of them all, 1/1 lul); this is since I want to keep the 01:54:218 (1) - type stuff not only for how the drum pattern slightly shifts for less clear 1/1, but how it at the same time begins giving more highlight to the guitar which is coming to take the center later on

03:26:921 (6,7,1,2) - I think this spacing is a bit much. I get you want to emphasize the guitar at this part, but it makes 03:28:001 (5,6) - weak by comparison which is problematic. Agree (sort of) but to keep the guitar spacing same with the other ones (which I think they are), buffed 03:28:001 (5,6) - little instead; I don't think it needs to be massively changed since unlike 03:27:056 (7,1) - which is one-way trip with "break" in both sides, 03:28:001 (5,6,1) - is subsequently back-and-forth 2 jumps, which makes it "faster" and thus more intense. Same with the later patterning of this stuff (which already has better spacing comparisons than this so needs no changes I think

03:29:353 (1,2,3) - The guitar drops out entirely during 1 and 2 and there's just two weak bass drum hits before the crash + guitar entrance on 3. The way you currently have this arranged gives way too much importance to 1 and 2 and doesn't really reflect the lull in the song imo. I'd just space 1 and 2 down to better contrast them with the drum fill prior and the guitar entrance after. Obviously this doesn't apply to 03:38:002 (1,2) - because of the vocals. I don't think the bass drums are weak though, they are actually about as strong as bass drum can get (wihtout sounding fucked up); they are more intense than for example 03:38:002 (1,2) - (important is that the latter sounds like stream-kinda while former doesn't since it sounds like the hits are emphasised individually. Other than that you point is pretty valid so I tuned them little down and switched some emphasis to the following slider instead (same with earlier 03:20:704 (1,2) - you missed)

04:47:460 (1,2) - I don't really see what's justifiying cutting the SV in half here. The ones later on like 05:04:757 (1,2) - fit the guitar surprisingly well, but these are a much smaller decrease in SV and they're supported by the guitar. This first one is such a sharp decrease it feels extremely unexpected for no good reason. Personally I'd make the SV decrease the same as the one later on, or just rework this pattern entirely and wait for the guitar to enter before throwing in these SV changes. Nah it's good; since the guitars are pretty much drone here, this SV change is pretty much combination of two things: the cymbal sounds (which should already be pretty clear here, I can't be the only one hearing the difference) combined with the influences from the contextual sections. First the cymbal sounds. Kinda tough to put into words, but tldr the first one sounds a lot more intense than the latter, with "active" sound throughout it, while the latter (especially compared to the sound before) is more passive background type sound. This contrast with these cymbals is where I also put the transition between sections/patterns from the not intense but atleast something (especially the drum sounds leading to it 04:47:190 (2,3,1) - ) that is before it to the very calm one that comes after (1/1). To comment on your comparison to guitars, you ain't wrong, though at the same time fine tuning SVs is easier with guitar tones and thus making reasonable emphasises for stuff like cymbal sounds needs more drastic measures, or the change just goes unnoticed.

05:48:001 (1,2,1) - The long sliders and the pause after 2 is causing you to lose a lot of the momentum this solo has built up. I'd use the accompaniment for some filler rhythm and make this part more rhythmically dense so it doesn't feel so underwhelming. The long sliders and pause are pretty much what the song offers though. I woulda actually added some filler rhythms if it could work somehow here, but I think the current one is actually better than forcing some stuff there. I'll just let the solo be what it is, it's not like it's bad if the momentum gets down if the momentum gets down in the music as well.

08:49:618 (7) - Shouldn't this be 2 jumps instead of a slider to accentuate the guitar? You did that later on at 08:53:942 (7,8,1) - . While it is similar, it's not nearly as distinct as 08:53:942 (7,8) - mostly because here pitch change only once (in the red tick) while with 08:53:942 (7,8) - it changes 3 times, with every red tick pretty much. Thus to reduce the already highly demanding tapping I'd prefer to keep it as is (like all the other measures there are too)

09:02:861 (1) - I think there's a lot going on this stream you could emphasize better. At 09:07:185 - when the guitar is mostly just the same note over and over again constant spacing makes a lot of sense, but that isn't the case at 09:02:861 -. There's clear peaks at 09:03:537 (11) - and 09:04:145 (4) - that really aren't getting any attention at all. I understand that you don't want to make this stream any more difficult than it already is, but I think making the stream accelerate into 11 instead of using constant spacing would better accentuate what the guitar is doing here, as well as making the transition into the stream less harsh than it currently is. Not necessary. First of all, it's constant tremolo picking (with constant pitch except the obvious changes); the peaks you hear (that aren't really audible unless you slow down) are just due the human player not being able to do constantly the exact same motion, and the guitar reacting to that with small changes (like more "open" sound at some notes for example). Like I said, these changes are inaudible with playing speed and aren't actually supposed to theoretically exist in the music either so I think going straightforward is better, also making the already challenging section perhaps little more lenient. Your comment about transitioning to the stream section is valid though (the context of its usage here aside) and it's pretty much the only real concern I've gotten from testplays so far (as a first try effect though I guess);
but whether or not I change is up to more feedback or if I'd make up a better alternative for the beginning of the streams
Thanks for the mod!
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry
Lol anotha one revived I'm gonna run out of space soon
Alexsander
Sorry for the delay, the net doesn't cooperate when sending

[Colossus, the Wrath of the Ocean]

1. I think these reverse wasn't a good choice because the sound at 00: 07: 191 - may need to be clickable even if it isn't strong
  2. 00:10:164 (5,6) - those moments where 6:10:434 (6) - is strong you could impose a greater distance to emphasize even though 1/1 I think would be interesting
  3. 00:26:650 (1,2) - I didn't understand because it has a distance below 00:28:813 (1,2) - since it's the same sound and this happens throughout the session I recommend you leave the same
  4. 00:28:813 (1) - the sound of it is strong, I think it deserves an emphasis on distance to differentiate from 00:27:732 (2,3) - (repeated throughout the session)
  5. 02:22:326 (2) - how about this slider being more open as: https://prnt.sc/ifk6jp
  6. 04:14:082 (1,2) - maybe a 1/2 slider is better to follow vocal
  7. 04:12:596 - the jumps that you did in this kiai are similar and something not varied which can be bad (04:13:677 (1,2,3,1,2,3) -, 04:15:568 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - etcs) could have more variations
  8. 08:33:131 (1,2,3) - I don't understand the increase of this sudden distance since it does not have any important sound, I suggest keeping the same distance used in 08:27:726 (5,6,7) - in this session
  9. 08:45:564 - Should a stream start here?
I think this last kiai was badly structured with these circles, I think it should have a stream.
The rest of the map is fine with some inconsistencies.
Sorry for the english errors and the short mod :(
GL
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Alexsander wrote:

Sorry for the delay, the net doesn't cooperate when sending

[Colossus, the Wrath of the Ocean]

1. I think these reverse wasn't a good choice because the sound at 00: 07: 191 - may need to be clickable even if it isn't strong Not necessary. Not only is the sound pretty much a drone with occasional edges, the particular one you linked isn't strong at all, not even among this sound,
    since basically this (the edges) get quieter and softer the more it goes on.
  2. 00:10:164 (5,6) - those moments where 6:10:434 (6) - is strong you could impose a greater distance to emphasize even though 1/1 I think would be interesting First of all I think your links are fucked up lol. Anyways, I think it's fine currently. Small tuning to 1/1 doesn't make enough change to be worth and large changes aren't really desirable since not only is this supposed to be calm section, it would lessen the impact of the actual 1/2 which are supposed to be more important than the 1/1 even if these particular 1/1 sounds are fairly strong.
  3. 00:26:650 (1,2) - I didn't understand because it has a distance below 00:28:813 (1,2) - since it's the same sound and this happens throughout the session I recommend you leave the same Can't say I'm 100% sure I understood completely what you meant, but if it's about 00:28:813 (1,2) - having larger spacing than 00:26:650 (1,2) - (and some others) then it doesn't really matter at all. Not only is it small difference in when talking about how 1/1 work, but it's also due the objects getting stacked with surrounding ones, not just without any reason. No need to change it
  4. 00:28:813 (1) - the sound of it is strong, I think it deserves an emphasis on distance to differentiate from 00:27:732 (2,3) - (repeated throughout the session)
  5. 02:22:326 (2) - how about this slider being more open as: https://prnt.sc/ifk6jp Yeah why not actually, it looks nice and wavey so it fits the thematics. Tuned little with your pic in mind
  6. 04:14:082 (1,2) - maybe a 1/2 slider is better to follow vocal Nah no; I prefer following the instrumental ideas here
  7. 04:12:596 - the jumps that you did in this kiai are similar and something not varied which can be bad (04:13:677 (1,2,3,1,2,3) -, 04:15:568 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - etcs) could have more variations This is pretty much the idea of the kiais though. You can read more of this from mods before (I think)
    but basically just think of them as whirlpools of sorts. Also it's not like there isn't any variation, not only are the halves of kiais differentiated, but same pattern ≠ no variation. The angles between transitions and so on can change and the resulting movement may actually go rampant even if it mostly consists of the same triangles. Also worth noting that the music is fairly repetitive/constant as well, so I don't think overly variation is even good for song expression.

8. 08:33:131 (1,2,3) - I don't understand the increase of this sudden distance since it does not have any important sound, I suggest keeping the same distance used in 08:27:726 (5,6,7) - in this session Since in this section guitar pitch is the only thing that changes, when it changes, the impact on music is significant. So here (as you probably noticed), pitch = spacing
  9. 08:45:564 - Should a stream start here? No? Drums stay 1/2 for pretty much whole section and guitar is 1/1 all the way until the shred which is where the stream currently starts, 09:02:861 -
I think this last kiai was badly structured with these circles, I think it should have a stream.
The rest of the map is fine with some inconsistencies.
Sorry for the english errors and the short mod :(
GL
Thanks for the mod!
Alexsander
I was wrong on the last suggestion, sorry
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Alexsander wrote:

I was wrong on the last suggestion, sorry
Don't mind it, mistakes happen
Net0
Stars so I can remember to mod this soon enough :>
Net0
[General]
  1. This suggestion is regarding your chorus and it’s mostly a subjective mapping perspective. Before let me tell you that your mapping is not wrong, the rhythm is correct, the aim intensity and flow changes are according to the song. My issue with the kiai is mostly because rhythm/visual/play wise it is too repetitive. I know the song is pretty much following those repetitions, but the way you mapped it and considering the difficulty you’re aiming with this marathon, feels too much repetitive. That in itself isn’t a problem, since I actually don’t mind repetitive maps. But the context here is not old mapping/insane difficulty. Here you’re mapping a progressive metal song in a 7* difficulty map. I truly feel like the chorus should be done in a more interesting way at least pattern wise, to avoid making the players feel underwhelmed by what the map presents in one of its most important sections.
    If you compare how you made the patterns in other sections like 03:20:704 - ~ 03:38:002 – they seem way more dynamic as a matter of comparision. Hope you can take this criticism in a positive way.
[ Colossus, the Wrath of the Ocean ]
  1. 00:00:705 (1) – Use a slidertick hitsound with lower volume in this repeat slider imo
  2. 02:11:515 (2) – You don’t need that huge amount of points to make a slider like that; just compare this two designs; your version https://puu.sh/zwajj.png with something like this https://puu.sh/zwajL.png . The fewer amount of points, better it is to control the visual.
  3. 02:18:002 (2) – This slider should be consistent with 02:24:488 (2) - imo
  4. 02:24:488 (2,1) – Cool idea btw really liked this
  5. Again slider consistency 02:26:650 (2) -/02:28:813 (2) -
  6. You could make the spacing here a bit more consistent 03:18:542 (1,2,3,1,2,3) – with 03:01:245 (1,2,3,1,2,3) – specially on the second repetition 03:01:786 (1,2,3) - /03:19:083 (1,2,3) -.
  7. Personally I think the way you placed this two sliders 04:28:001 (3) -/04:28:541 (3) – works better compared to 04:29:893 (3) -/04:30:433 (3) – it’s visually more organized
  8. Same thing mentioned about a lot of points when you could have done fewer and achieve the same visual result 04:43:136 (3) –
  9. 05:22:055 (1,2,1) – This could be more polished visually if the slider end of 05:22:055 (1) – and 05:22:460 (2) – along with 05:22:460 (2) – sliderhead formed a triangle with 05:23:136 (1) – as the center of it. Quick comparision; https://puu.sh/zwaSy.png and https://puu.sh/zwaWe.png
  10. Really cool stuff 05:24:217 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) –
  11. In this section 06:50:973 - ~ 07:26:645 – you repeat the same slider shape for 36 seconds in a row. You could implement a distinction from the parts with longer gap 06:50:973 - ~ 07:06:108 – and the faster one 07:06:108 - ~ 07:26:645 –
  12. The final solo is a really big spike. Depending on your mapping perspective that can be an issue or not, so I’m just objectively pointing that it is a big spike. If you think that’s positive then this is not an issue ^^
  13. Regarding the stream itself I recommend that the kicks 09:05:023 (1) – should be using slightly curves instead of straight shape, mostly for visual improvement and to also help indicate the implied movement you’re going for in sections like this 09:05:023 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) -
Couldn’t really point a lot because the map is very consistent and well made. Hitsound and music representation are really great in this map. But like I said, the repetitions and the rhythm are part of the structure you choose to use and those are the things I could potentially see as elements that could make the map not so enjoyable for some people. Hope you keep on mapping progressive metal and best of luck with this map and your future projects ^^
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Net0 wrote:

[General]
  1. This suggestion is regarding your chorus and it’s mostly a subjective mapping perspective. Before let me tell you that your mapping is not wrong, the rhythm is correct, the aim intensity and flow changes are according to the song. My issue with the kiai is mostly because rhythm/visual/play wise it is too repetitive. I know the song is pretty much following those repetitions, but the way you mapped it and considering the difficulty you’re aiming with this marathon, feels too much repetitive. That in itself isn’t a problem, since I actually don’t mind repetitive maps. But the context here is not old mapping/insane difficulty. Here you’re mapping a progressive metal song in a 7* difficulty map. I truly feel like the chorus should be done in a more interesting way at least pattern wise, to avoid making the players feel underwhelmed by what the map presents in one of its most important sections.
    If you compare how you made the patterns in other sections like 03:20:704 - ~ 03:38:002 – they seem way more dynamic as a matter of comparision. Hope you can take this criticism in a positive way. Valid points (kinda similar to what I've gotten already on those, along with multiple similar "well,
    it's the song" as well lol). Even though one could label this (or In Mourning in general) to progressive metal, it doesn't in the end mean their stuff makes for varying map experience, similarly to many other similar style bands. The songs may contain lots of cool stuff and variation and all that, but they also contain lots of repetition of possibly all the said things or atleast the main themes, and often sections that are only accompanied by more simplistic musical soundscapes. This section you linked as interesting just not really coincidentally happens to be one of the best sections in the song for mapping (aside prob some of the solo sections), with lots of subtle little ideas with not too much repetition and so on. For example on the other hand, the kiais or the ending "solo" parts don't work quite the same.
    Actually the only "progressive" gimmick with the kiais are the 7/4 other than that they are pretty much the same constant 1/2 as most of the verses (with actually less interesting guitar lines for rhythm game). The solo on the other hand feels more like atmospheric side of stuff, with pretty much everything going with standard stuff on instruments but strong feeling of the finale with what they do. This doesn't quite transfer to map without more raw mechanical patterns which then end up quite draining like what the song could possibly feel as well with the drain. Now these couple points could also be taken into account when thinking of the thematics I tried putting up for this which is some sort of battle against the sea. First of all, it's long af like the neverending sail of your life.As for what there are in the sail, that's the contains of the map and song: lots of calmer sections combined with more intense ones, some more "bubbling" sections with more airy touch with light trickery on rhythms and such but also more grim heavy sections with raw force against you usually as prolonged periods of sustained rhythm and soundscape and so on. I tried expressing these things in some way in the map, which might've been good or bad idea, might've worked or not, dunno. I don't really know what the kiai for example feels like, if it's underwhelming or not, but repetitive pattern with more straightforward challenge is what I made it to be (with the single idea mostly used in it basing on the thematics I'm using). All in all these are fair concerns since what's the point of having strictly "music based" map if due it no one will enjoy playing it. That being said the testplay I got from Rohulk for example ended up in feedback of about these lines "it's pretty repetitive. I didn't really mind though since I liked the song". I guess it kind of can end up with tastes like that as well.

1. 00:00:705 (1) – Use a slidertick hitsound with lower volume in this repeat slider imo Not really necessary. While it's kinda like "why not indeed" it's almost inaudible as is and the slight feedback of how many ticks it cover may be helpful to someone so I'll keep it as is
  2. 02:11:515 (2) – You don’t need that huge amount of points to make a slider like that; just compare this two designs; your version https://puu.sh/zwajj.png with something like this https://puu.sh/zwajL.png . The fewer amount of points, better it is to control the visual. You're right, dunno why I originally made it like that. That being said as it's ready already I don't really see the need to change it anymore lol
  3. 02:18:002 (2) – This slider should be consistent with 02:24:488 (2) - imo They are intentionally not the same, like waves in the ocean are everchanging atleast slightly. Sure there are some same shapes here and there used in these sections as exact the same but most of the time not
  4. 02:24:488 (2,1) – Cool idea btw really liked this
  5. Again slider consistency 02:26:650 (2) -/02:28:813 (2) - ^
  6. You could make the spacing here a bit more consistent 03:18:542 (1,2,3,1,2,3) – with 03:01:245 (1,2,3,1,2,3) – specially on the second repetition 03:01:786 (1,2,3) - /03:19:083 (1,2,3) -. No need, the DS are almost the same already. That's fairly strict you're going considering I'm fairly sure my map uses more DS than most lol
  7. Personally I think the way you placed this two sliders 04:28:001 (3) -/04:28:541 (3) – works better compared to 04:29:893 (3) -/04:30:433 (3) – it’s visually more organized Don't really see what'd make any clear difference in visuals, the ideas are pretty much the same. I mean I see what part you're looking at here but I don't see the need, the looks compare fine as is
  8. Same thing mentioned about a lot of points when you could have done fewer and achieve the same visual result 04:43:136 (3) – Not actually many fewer mind me (I tested). Anyways pretty much the same as above
  9. 05:22:055 (1,2,1) – This could be more polished visually if the slider end of 05:22:055 (1) – and 05:22:460 (2) – along with 05:22:460 (2) – sliderhead formed a triangle with 05:23:136 (1) – as the center of it. Quick comparision; https://puu.sh/zwaSy.png and https://puu.sh/zwaWe.png The circle isn't perfectly in the middle in your pic though *triggered* also I'd rather keep the little larger spacing for it. Tuned the sliderend for more along the triangle shape though.
  10. Really cool stuff 05:24:217 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) –
  11. In this section 06:50:973 - ~ 07:26:645 – you repeat the same slider shape for 36 seconds in a row. You could implement a distinction from the parts with longer gap 06:50:973 - ~ 07:06:108 – and the faster one 07:06:108 - ~ 07:26:645 – Intentionally so. Actually so much so, that the slider shape even "changes" due to SV but you didn't notice it. As in, when the gaps the faster as you said, the SV gets higher but I wanted to keep the slider shape the same, just more aggressive patterning other than that (since, well, the sound of the guitar chug stays the same). Well the shape is very similar still, just longer and little more curved with the length addition (iirc)
  12. The final solo is a really big spike. Depending on your mapping perspective that can be an issue or not, so I’m just objectively pointing that it is a big spike. If you think that’s positive then this is not an issue ^^ It's not actually as big of a spike as you think. Depending on according to what you think. In terms of actual playing it's fairly big spike, with not only highest spacing in the map but also relentless stamina demands on both singletapping and streaming. If you look at the SR though, it's not actually that large of a spike (well, not like SR is really relevant but just mentioning for comparison). The jump part of the solo raises it about 0,2* and the stream part about another 0,2* (when I was mapping) thus lining fairly well with how the actual intensity of the song goes up. The harsh stamina part might not line up with the repetitiviness of the song quite as well even though repetition is a form of emphasis too,
    but it's not really out of the left field either.
  13. Regarding the stream itself I recommend that the kicks 09:05:023 (1) – should be using slightly curves instead of straight shape, mostly for visual improvement and to also help indicate the implied movement you’re going for in sections like this 09:05:023 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - Not really necessary. Not only do I like kicksliders mostly straight for their looks too (sliders short in both visual and timing length aren't too great curved imo) I like their straightforwardness in the playing aspect as well. Not like either way it'd make that much difference on that though imo
Couldn’t really point a lot because the map is very consistent and well made. Hitsound and music representation are really great in this map. But like I said, the repetitions and the rhythm are part of the structure you choose to use and those are the things I could potentially see as elements that could make the map not so enjoyable for some people. Hope you keep on mapping progressive metal and best of luck with this map and your future projects ^^
Thanks for the mod!
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry
Also another change not with the previous mod above here but rather what I noticed myself: soft-sliderslide99 got removed while back with -Faded-'s mod, but I re-implemented it since it's actually not unused due osu! for some reason applying sliderslide hitsound on the sliderend as well (or something). This caused short occasions of the default sliderslide hitsound to occur everytime hitsoundset 99 was used on prolonged sliderend, since the set 99 silenced slide got removed. This isn't the intention since the end's are supposed to be silent (and it proves that the file isn't unused) so I got it back.
Net0

TheKingHenry wrote:

Net0 wrote:

1. In this section 06:50:973 - ~ 07:26:645 – you repeat the same slider shape for 36 seconds in a row. You could implement a distinction from the parts with longer gap 06:50:973 - ~ 07:06:108 – and the faster one 07:06:108 - ~ 07:26:645 – Intentionally so. Actually so much so, that the slider shape even "changes" due to SV but you didn't notice it. As in, when the gaps the faster as you said, the SV gets higher but I wanted to keep the slider shape the same, just more aggressive patterning other than that (since, well, the sound of the guitar chug stays the same). Well the shape is very similar still, just longer and little more curved with the length addition (iirc)I really recommend you reconsider this point, the distinction you're talking about is so small in terms of slider design that is not enough to avoid the repetitive feeling of this section, the element of distinction SV change has impact, but not as much because you kept using the curved slider idea. Again, this suggestion is mostly aimed to break the repetitive of it, but since I read your reply it seems this is what you're aiming for, so yeah, feel free to apply only if you trully believe it won't break your concept.
  2. 05:22:055 (1,2,1) – This could be more polished visually if the slider end of 05:22:055 (1) – and 05:22:460 (2) – along with 05:22:460 (2) – sliderhead formed a triangle with 05:23:136 (1) – as the center of it. Quick comparision; https://puu.sh/zwaSy.png and https://puu.sh/zwaWe.png The circle isn't perfectly in the middle in your pic though *triggered*Hey it's perfectly in the middle, I went to geometry class! xD
Good luck again :)
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry
Well yeah that was pretty much summed up, the change exists but it's small because I want to keep the fairly the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AMX wrote:

Gorgeous streams towards end! 10/10. PM me when ur ready for mods and i'll gladly mod it!
>5 months later
Where the f you at AMX ╭( ・ㅂ・)و LOL
Senery
hi i saw you accepted my request so here is the m4m!

[Colossus, the Warth of the Ocean]
  1. 01:01:245 - I feel like you should change up the rhythm(aswell as the patterning) a bit so it isnt as monotone. This section is 1 min combined with the previous section makes it so the intro here is a bit boring because of the repeated rhythm you use here, i think changing it up a bit negates that, example is that you can incorporate the guitar that starts at 01:01:245 - so its not as monotone
  2. 02:07:732 (2,3) - maybe put this on 02:06:380 (2) - so that the spacing between (1) and (2) is a bit bigger, because of the 1/1 gab between them
  3. 02:15:840 (2) - im not really a fan of these sliders, its probably just me, but it makes the map look a bit messy
  4. 07:32:050 (1) - maybe space ths one out a bit more so it has a bit more emphasis on it
  5. 09:02:861 - for this section i feel like you should start with a little less spaced stream so that the player isnt suprised by such a spaced stream, the player can easily fail on it and putting something like this on a 10 min map is pretty discouraging for the player, so maybe start with a less spaced stream before this section begins
  6. 09:05:158 (2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1) - i also feel like this is really messy, so maybe space them out of the stream section a bit more because of all the overlapping that is happening here, aswell as 09:05:158 (2,3,4,5,1) - and 09:05:969 (2,3,4,5,1) - are stacked so why are the others not stacked?
  7. 09:10:158 (3,4,5,6,1) - maybe move this down a bit so it stacks with 09:09:753 (5) -
The map is really awesome i love it, hope to see this ranked someday! i hope the mod help :) !
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Senery wrote:

hi i saw you accepted my request so here is the m4m!

[Colossus, the Warth of the Ocean]
  1. 01:01:245 - I feel like you should change up the rhythm(aswell as the patterning) a bit so it isnt as monotone. This section is 1 min combined with the previous section makes it so the intro here is a bit boring because of the repeated rhythm you use here, i think changing it up a bit negates that, example is that you can incorporate the guitar that starts at 01:01:245 - so its not as monotone Indeed I've gotten some comments on my map being too repetitive (which isn't really wrong?); but that's mostly because the song is that way. Actually overall it's not too uncommon for songs/maps to consist mostly of 1/2 with occasional fills and shits, here the rhythm is actually more interesting, it's just that the instances are mapped the same unlike with most of repetitive 1/2 in maps for example. Basically imo even if the same rhythm repeats quite the while, the rhythm itself is interesting enough for atleast me to not feel it's too repetitive. Incorporating guitar wouldn't be bad idea if what it has on the other hand wouldn't be a lot more stale than the stuff I keep doing atm.
    And well, repetitive in terms of song expression is also used as a effect here on some level, you can see some earlier mods for that stuff if interested.
  2. 02:07:732 (2,3) - maybe put this on 02:06:380 (2) - so that the spacing between (1) and (2) is a bit bigger, because of the 1/1 gab between them Nah it's better this way since it's supposed to be smaller than the 2/1 before it; as both are not "jump rhythms" or how you want to say it anyways they aren't too fast tapped ones (1/2 here) I want to keep their spacing relative to how long the gap in time is.
  3. 02:15:840 (2) - im not really a fan of these sliders, its probably just me, but it makes the map look a bit messy
  4. 07:32:050 (1) - maybe space ths one out a bit more so it has a bit more emphasis on it Why not actually
  5. 09:02:861 - for this section i feel like you should start with a little less spaced stream so that the player isnt suprised by such a spaced stream, the player can easily fail on it and putting something like this on a 10 min map is pretty discouraging for the player, so maybe start with a less spaced stream before this section begins Indeed I got comment from testplayer suggesting better transition, but this is way more fitting musically, and tbh the overall spacing of the section before is already high af and high spacing stream fits the movement better, so it's just matter of actually hitting the beginning or not.
    Not like I won't change this later on though if need arises.
  6. 09:05:158 (2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1) - i also feel like this is really messy, so maybe space them out of the stream section a bit more because of all the overlapping that is happening here, aswell as 09:05:158 (2,3,4,5,1) - and 09:05:969 (2,3,4,5,1) - are stacked so why are the others not stacked?
  7. 09:10:158 (3,4,5,6,1) - maybe move this down a bit so it stacks with 09:09:753 (5) - Not really messy tbh, it looks fine in the editor already and with high ar gameplay it's even less of that way. As for stacking difference, it's pretty obvious: 09:05:564 (2,3,4,5,1) - is supposed to be in the symmetric blanket pattern these are supposed to form but 09:04:685 (12,13,14,15,16,1) - doesn't do it
The map is really awesome i love it, hope to see this ranked someday! i hope the mod help :) !
Thanks for the mod!
IsomirDiAngelo
Hi M4M from your queue :3
Sorry, it might be a shitmod cause I'm not so experimented and I couldn't look through every mod so I might repeat some things you already denied before
Collosus, the Wrath of the Ocean
Content
- 00:12:596 (6,7) - These sounds are very different whereas these ones 00:12:056 (4,5) - sound the exact same and they are mapped the same way, so I think 00:12:867 (7) - should be more spaced so the movement feels different than the previous pattern. Maybe shift (7) to the left or something. Applies to every pattern
- 02:45:704 (2) - I don't think it should be clickable, feels weird like this. Maybe replace 02:45:569 (1) - with an 1/2 beat slider. Same for 02:45:029 (1,2) -
- 02:46:110 (1,2,1,2) - Hitsounding is barely noticeable here and sounds are quite loud so meh. You did a very good job with hitosunds but these aren't noticeable enough imo.
- 03:20:164 (2) - I would lower SV or change slider shape or direction to differenciate the sounds
- 04:13:677 (1,2,3) - These patterns here feel weird to me. Like sounds are not loud enough yet to do triangles. I would build a pattern around those 04:14:082 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - and change what's before. However they fit very well here 04:19:352 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - . No problem here either 06:19:352 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - . I hope you see what I mean
- 05:23:136 (1) - I think you should place this object so the distance between 05:22:460 (2) - 's slider head and slider tail look the same.
- It feels like there's no difference between 08:11:780 (3,1) - that has a strong sound on (1) and 08:12:320 (3,1) - that hasn't. Maybe don't stack 08:12:050 (1) - so (1) will feel less common. If you change here, you'll have to change the whole place that uses this pattern so I will understand you don't want to change as it might be subjective x)
- 09:02:861 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16) - I can't disagree with this rythmicly, it fits well but I feel there will be lots of fail here x)

Timing
Timing could be more accurate but I would understand you want to keep some places "off tempo" for consistency
- 00:26:110 (1) - I would place a ~230-231 bpm here so 00:26:110 (1,2,3,4) - sounds better with the good hitsounds :3 then 00:26:650 (1) - back to 222 bpm
- 03:18:542 (1,2) - These sound off you could do the same as up there, up to your choice

Nice map, I like your mapping style :3

Good luck with rank ! :)

I hope at least one of my suggestion doesn't get denied lol
Victoire
Hi! Small mod just because.

02:04:488 (4,5) - this flow makes the fact that these two aren't flipped stand out and it doesn't sound like that was the idea
02:50:164 (3,1,2) - this transition is kinda harsh compared to the other ones around here
03:25:299 (3) - I'd NC here since 03:25:029 (1,2) - sounds like it should be part of the 1-2
04:43:541 (1) - and 04:45:703 (2) - and 04:50:028 (2) - and some more times in this section are kind of in that grey zone of overlapping/not overlapping where it looks ugly.
06:49:081 (2) - this section too
05:22:460 (2,1) - unevenness here also looks a little ugly
09:02:861 (1,2,3,4,5) - mapping-wise it these make perfect sense but I can only imagine sightreading this and dying to streams that are way more spaced than I was prepared for

I really like how you use flow in a lot of sections to really support the song!

That said, I do feel like the overall composition of the jumps could do with some work. In this case you have a lot of clear shapes for the jumps, but it sometimes feels like they were put together a bit messily without as much consideration for how the shapes themselves fit together. It might just be me looking for more cleanliness where it isn't needed, but I think the overall aesthetic could improve a lot with a bit of focus on the composition.
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

IsomirDiYandere wrote:

Hi M4M from your queue :3
Sorry, it might be a shitmod cause I'm not so experimented and I couldn't look through every mod so I might repeat some things you already denied before
Collosus, the Wrath of the Ocean
Content
- 00:12:596 (6,7) - These sounds are very different whereas these ones 00:12:056 (4,5) - sound the exact same and they are mapped the same way, so I think 00:12:867 (7) - should be more spaced so the movement feels different than the previous pattern. Maybe shift (7) to the left or something. Applies to every pattern I sort of see where you're coming from but I think you ain't understanding what this current pattern does, like in the core it's mostly like stuff like 01:06:650 (1,2,3,4) - low spacing 1/1, but 00:12:596 (6) - is stronger sound and thus it's spaced out; applies to every pattern
- 02:45:704 (2) - I don't think it should be clickable, feels weird like this. Maybe replace 02:45:569 (1) - with an 1/2 beat slider. Same for 02:45:029 (1,2) - I think it should be, basically this section is 1/2 all the way thru (like that bass drum would be) with sliders used mostly to accentuate the guitar shit (and occasionally other stuff) now thus most of the stuff not emphasised with anything else gets lowish spacing 1/2 circles according to the constant bass drum
- 02:46:110 (1,2,1,2) - Hitsounding is barely noticeable here and sounds are quite loud so meh. You did a very good job with hitosunds but these aren't noticeable enough imo. Hitsounding mostly equals drums when I'm doing it and thus this is done like the drums (which means that constant bass drum with the occasional snare); which happens to somewhat get drowned at places here under the heavy guitar sound, but hey, that happens in the song too. Not like I'd go hitsounding the guitar here
- 03:20:164 (2) - I would lower SV or change slider shape or direction to differenciate the sounds Wouldn't really be bad idea tbh, but these are the same according to how the guitar sound is same for both (it's just that for the first there's double guitar, the other of which pretty much dies out for the second. I don't think it needs change, even though they are the same, both of them fit the respective soundscapes in the music
- 04:13:677 (1,2,3) - These patterns here feel weird to me. Like sounds are not loud enough yet to do triangles. I would build a pattern around those 04:14:082 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - and change what's before. However they fit very well here 04:19:352 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - . No problem here either 06:19:352 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - . I hope you see what I mean I see what you mean sort of, but I don't see why you'd mean that; triangle is the idea shape for patterning this imo, and thus it not being fit is kinda uh, also it doesn't differ much from the constant 1/2 stuff before either, the DS isn't massively larger even though it might feel like that due the more aggressive movement required. You are right obviously the 3+3 patterned measure ends are "more fit"
for triangles cuz like, duh, they are patterned as three, but the idea behind these kiais is the circular movement with triangles and I quite like having the earlier ones like that too. It's also nice touch how the movement gets faster with the measure end triangles since they are 1/2 shorter compared to these dudes

- 05:23:136 (1) - I think you should place this object so the distance between 05:22:460 (2) - 's slider head and slider tail look the same. It'd indeed look pretty cool prob, but I'd rather keep little more distance for the emphasis of the strong sound here Actually fuck it not like it'd change much, moved
- It feels like there's no difference between 08:11:780 (3,1) - that has a strong sound on (1) and 08:12:320 (3,1) - that hasn't. Maybe don't stack 08:12:050 (1) - so (1) will feel less common. If you change here, you'll have to change the whole place that uses this pattern so I will understand you don't want to change as it might be subjective x) The massive changes proposed aside, it's going off the course with what this section is about; it's about raw constant(ly increasing) barrage of shit on you (see thematics posts in earlier mods for more info) and thus I lessened the emphasis on individual sounds to keep the difficulty more stale(ly increasing); also the stacks are for the 1/1 guitar and are only broken for clearly differing stuff on guitar (or some times cymbals as you can probably see, but not snare or bass drums since they are pretty consistent throughout there)
- 09:02:861 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16) - I can't disagree with this rythmicly, it fits well but I feel there will be lots of fail here x) Indeed, but "Can you survive the wrath of the ocean?" the consistent difficulty increase ends up in massively draining finale, and that surely does sound like a easy failure

Timing
Timing could be more accurate but I would understand you want to keep some places "off tempo" for consistency
- 00:26:110 (1) - I would place a ~230-231 bpm here so 00:26:110 (1,2,3,4) - sounds better with the good hitsounds :3 then 00:26:650 (1) - back to 222 bpm
- 03:18:542 (1,2) - These sound off you could do the same as up there, up to your choice Indeed I noticed these while mapping, but there's only couple of them in fairly long map and they aren't particularly massively off (still sounding pretty solid with playing speeds that is) so I'll rather keep the stable bpm

Nice map, I like your mapping style :3

Good luck with rank ! :)

I hope at least one of my suggestion doesn't get denied lol
Thanks for the mod!
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Victoire wrote:

Hi! Small mod just because.

02:04:488 (4,5) - this flow makes the fact that these two aren't flipped stand out and it doesn't sound like that was the idea It's actually intentionally so, this flow still pretty well, ctrl+g on the latter would mean also 02:05:029 (1) - needs to be ctrl+g; this works well, it's just little variation for the pattern
02:50:164 (3,1,2) - this transition is kinda harsh compared to the other ones around here Not overly. Just because it's little wide doesn't mean it should be changed, there's already lots of "smooth" aka somewhat wide flows with 1/2 here in these sections so it's not like it's out of place
03:25:299 (3) - I'd NC here since 03:25:029 (1,2) - sounds like it should be part of the 1-2 Those 2 ain't in the "drum fill" anymore, it's NC per measure here; I mean, I could NC somewhat with patterns too but I prefer doing it like this
04:43:541 (1) - and 04:45:703 (2) - and 04:50:028 (2) - and some more times in this section are kind of in that grey zone of overlapping/not overlapping where it looks ugly. Ain't they all pretty clearly overlapping lol as for whether that suits one's tastes is another thing but that's more subjective, I like them and visuals aside they are doing what they are supposed to do so I don't really see the problem
06:49:081 (2) - this section too As above. Worth nothing also that there's like plethora of these overlappy things since most of the 1/4 prolonged sliders connect like that to the next objects
05:22:460 (2,1) - unevenness here also looks a little ugly I actually fixed that in the previous mod ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ FeelsBadMan
09:02:861 (1,2,3,4,5) - mapping-wise it these make perfect sense but I can only imagine sightreading this and dying to streams that are way more spaced than I was prepared for I mean I got commented on this by some testplayers too, but tbh when thinking of it it shouldn't be as big of a problem as you could make it, considering the stream velocity is supposed to be representative of the song and comparable to the jump movement velocities before it. Sure, it's more harsh in the way that if you miss part or beginning or whatnot, it's very easy to die (slower beginning would make for smoother transition) but this sections is supposed to be very harsh, and as you said musically/mapping-wise it makes perfect sense so not doing anything for it (atleast now)

I really like how you use flow in a lot of sections to really support the song!

That said, I do feel like the overall composition of the jumps could do with some work. In this case you have a lot of clear shapes for the jumps, but it sometimes feels like they were put together a bit messily without as much consideration for how the shapes themselves fit together. It might just be me looking for more cleanliness where it isn't needed, but I think the overall aesthetic could improve a lot with a bit of focus on the composition. Not sure what you mean (I mean actually I do know what you mean probably) but this is kind of tied to what you said above (flow supports the song bit), most of the jumps down to spacing and angles and all that heavily express the songs sounds and that might lead to what you call disoriented visual patterns, since the patterning (and in jumps this can probably be seen easily since they have more "freedom" than some other stuff could), following the song, doesn't necessarily connect always to other patterns (visually for example) if the song calls for something specific. Now that aside, I personally don't see what you'd mean with this since I think stuff here looks visually pretty rad too, but maybe that's where your tastes in visuals differ from mine; and since it's hard to argue about that I lean towards prefering the song expression in cases like this
Thanks for the mod!
_Meep_
meepu chan ga kita!

General

1. Combo colors 2 and 4 seem really close in terms of color, but should be fine because they aren't like right next to each other, probs best to get some advice on this
  2. u gya nibba

Metadata

1. Recommend you add 'Spinefarm Records' since the album this song is from is under them, did some digging and found it out.

In Mourning of Aniki rip we will all miss you ;c

1. 00:17:461 (1,2) - I feel like it'd work better if they were closer to each other, the sounds aren't really that loud/intense.
  2. 00:21:786 (1,2,3,4,1) - This is one instance where the combo color is literally almost the same.
  3. 00:43:407 (3) - Would be cool to see something like a slowdown to emphasise the low pitched guitar. But make it faster than the one on 01:00:704 (1) -
    ar9.8 really makes my eyes itchy for some reason, fukin gya map >;o
  4. 01:13:677 (1) - I don't think theres a need to NC this one, sounds are pretty much the same
  5. 01:16:110 (4,1) - I highly suggest you stack these ontop of each other, putting 1 below 4, to emphasise the sudden cymbal, people will have to stop moving compared to the usual movement they've been doing before. the sudden stop helps emphasise.
  6. 01:33:406 (4,1) - Same here
  7. 01:34:353 (2,3) - listen to 25%, this is actually really off compared to the notes behind, im not sure. stuff liek 01:37:461 (3) - too.
  8. 01:51:515 (4) - NC this for consistency with 01:16:921 (1,2) - ,even though the sounds aren't the same, the structure of the sounds are, 1 slider + 2 same sound + 2 different sound
  9. 01:52:866 (5) - nc this too if u agree above
  10. 02:09:488 (2) - would highly highly highly highly highly highly recommend stacking this below 02:08:948 (5) - , it'd make for better playability as players will feel nostalgic hitting that note, knowing it was the same sound as before.
  11. 02:11:515 (2) - hwat teh fucc is with the beziers
  12. 02:37:461 (2) - now this is just ugly tbh
  13. 02:49:353 (1,2,3,1,2) - this part kinda feels off, maybe ctrl+G 02:49:623 (3,1,2) - . 02:53:677 (1,2,3,1,2) - same here, they kinda sounds and play really weirdly. If you wanna keep this then i suggest adding some hitsounds on your own to make the rhythm feel authentic
  14. 03:20:164 (2) - why is this the same shape as the one before though, they both have different sounds and I don't think players would expect this. I suggest changing it to something like:

the steeper curve transition into the calmer curve emphasises the silence without the guitar. really recommend u change to something similar to this.
  15. 03:20:975 (3) - nc arigathanks
  16. 03:25:299 (3) - remove dis and replace with 03:25:434 (4) - , make 03:25:434 (4) - a reverse slider, u gotta map to the guitar maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. i know u wanna map to it using that small lil gimmick but it just isnt powahful enuf
  17. 03:27:461 (3,4) - recommend making into 3/4 because of the extended guitar sounds.
  18. 03:29:623 (3) - same, it'd look really good visually if it were NC'd
  19. 04:15:028 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - these notes really feel like filler rhythm gone wrong, they don't fit the song at all imo, even though it fits later on in the song i think its best to improvise and make a new pattern rather than limiting yourself to minor consistency issues which makes your map play weirdly
  20. 04:44:217 (2) - another example of a super late note
  21. 04:47:865 (2,1) - why is the cymbal not the one clicked, but the softer and less intense sound? recommend reducing sldierend by 1 tick and replacing it with the note
  22. 04:51:244 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - could be moved further for emphasis,it aint enuf >;o
  23. 05:31:109 (2) - make sliderend clickable? kind of inconsistent compared to the rest of the map
  24. 07:24:483 (1,1,1,1) - just what i expected, gr8 job
    nic map
    gjob monstrata

Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

_Meep_ wrote:

meepu chan ga kita!

General

1. Combo colors 2 and 4 seem really close in terms of color, but should be fine because they aren't like right next to each other, probs best to get some advice on this One is green and one is grey u wot m8
  2. u gya nibba

Metadata

1. Recommend you add 'Spinefarm Records' since the album this song is from is under them, did some digging and found it out. lol, well,
    did that (and added some more since the tag section was quite sparse

In Mourning of Aniki rip we will all miss you ;c

When you try to spoiler hide things but use colored text lol
  1. 00:17:461 (1,2) - I feel like it'd work better if they were closer to each other, the sounds aren't really that loud/intense. They definitely are,
    it's still fairly low spacing as in what's 1/2 (that's due intro and overall not high intensity) basically it's supposed to be somewhat similar spacing than what the spaced out 1/1 in this sections are (like 00:16:651 (5,6) - for example
  2. 00:21:786 (1,2,3,4,1) - This is one instance where the combo color is literally almost the same. Maybe your skin affects this, who knows?
    Like, I simply can't see how anyone would confuse these colors to be the same when they ain't even from the same palette
  3. 00:43:407 (3) - Would be cool to see something like a slowdown to emphasise the low pitched guitar. But make it faster than the one on 01:00:704 (1) - The sections are built different, former one has only the bass guitar (which has 4 different sounds with changing pitch, not really slowdown,
    the latter one has additional drum patterns that are emphasised there (thus the slider for example); fine as is

ar9.8 really makes my eyes itchy for some reason, fukin gya map >;o lol
  4. 01:13:677 (1) - I don't think theres a need to NC this one, sounds are pretty much the same Why not? The NCs are there to structure the different patterns/ideas in the music and map
  5. 01:16:110 (4,1) - I highly suggest you stack these ontop of each other, putting 1 below 4, to emphasise the sudden cymbal, people will have to stop moving compared to the usual movement they've been doing before. the sudden stop helps emphasise. No need, the SV is already enough to kick off from the slow movement the pattern causes, so I like it better the way it is with all the objects sharing the same distance (as if stream but 1/1); there are also multiple places with this same type of pattern, not all of which could be done with the stacking for cymbal emphasis considering there ain't cymbal for all of 'em
  6. 01:33:406 (4,1) - Same here ya same
  7. 01:34:353 (2,3) - listen to 25%, this is actually really off compared to the notes behind, im not sure. stuff liek 01:37:461 (3) - too. You right and I know it, the drummer is getting too excited with the 1/4s lol, but it's better off kept simplified here for what it's supposed to be without weird snappings or additional timing
  8. 01:51:515 (4) - NC this for consistency with 01:16:921 (1,2) - ,even though the sounds aren't the same, the structure of the sounds are, 1 slider + 2 same sound + 2 different sound It's intentionally this; here the music has cohesive patterning with normal downbeat NCing for this longish fill type stuff, but the earlier one had emphasises on red ticks too, so I switched for more aggressive NCing with patterns (so thus here you see 01:50:975 (1,2,3,4,5) - are of one measure and from 01:52:056 (1) - on they are on other
  9. 01:52:866 (5) - nc this too if u agree above Same as above. If it comes to it I'm not really against to tuning these but for now I don't really see any acute need for it
  10. 02:09:488 (2) - would highly highly highly highly highly highly recommend stacking this below 02:08:948 (5) - , it'd make for better playability as players will feel nostalgic hitting that note, knowing it was the same sound as before. Not bad idea tbh, but not fitting here anymore, the spacings would be fucked up. I also like separating the last snare hit pattern from the ones before like it's moving on
  11. 02:11:515 (2) - hwat teh fucc is with the beziers >:)
  12. 02:37:461 (2) - now this is just ugly tbh Not really. I agree it's not my favorite sliders either, but the section is supposed to have sliders of varying shapes (with shapes of varying impressions but same underlying ideas) and it's doing that
  13. 02:49:353 (1,2,3,1,2) - this part kinda feels off, maybe ctrl+G 02:49:623 (3,1,2) - . 02:53:677 (1,2,3,1,2) - same here, they kinda sounds and play really weirdly. If you wanna keep this then i suggest adding some hitsounds on your own to make the rhythm feel authentic The rhythm and pattern ideas are pretty much the same as is with dozens of others of kind, so I'm kinda grasping at straws with trying to see what your problem with these is, since tbh imo they seem fine
  14. 03:20:164 (2) - why is this the same shape as the one before though, they both have different sounds and I don't think players would expect this. I suggest changing it to something like:

the steeper curve transition into the calmer curve emphasises the silence without the guitar. really recommend u change to something similar to this. Can't see the picture for how good your suggestion is, but personally I like them as is, it feels better imo even if the sounds aren't exactly the same. For more info I think there's some on this on previous mods as well.
  15. 03:20:975 (3) - nc arigathanks Not necessary, while latter ones like this are indeed NCd, it's because there isn't better way of NCing,
    thus since here the objects before are on common downbeat NC place they get it and these don't, no spam here
  16. 03:25:299 (3) - remove dis and replace with 03:25:434 (4) - , make 03:25:434 (4) - a reverse slider, u gotta map to the guitar maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. i know u wanna map to it using that small lil gimmick but it just isnt powahful enuf Totally more powerful than what you'd want; it's basically clicks on the guitars with additional patterning to better fit how it feels; replacing 3 with 4 as slider would just result in some of the important guitar sounds drowning inside sliderbodies
  17. 03:27:461 (3,4) - recommend making into 3/4 because of the extended guitar sounds. Unnecessary. I didn't want to break the constant 1/2 that is the bass drum and the base rhythm of many sections in this map, and thus made pattern like this, that emphasises the same feeling you apparently got from the sliders but without using 3/4 (so basically these just emphasis the guitar sounds as 1/1 sorta like they are/feel, and how 3/4 would emphasise them too since it basically emphasises breaking the 1/2 for the guitar sounds)
  18. 03:29:623 (3) - same, it'd look really good visually if it were NC'd Same as above. At teh same time, same as even higher above as in,
    if it comes to it, why not some of these NC changes depending on what they are (can't say they're easy to change though due colorhax shit getting fucked up for like 6 mins with that uuhh)
  19. 04:15:028 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - these notes really feel like filler rhythm gone wrong, they don't fit the song at all imo, even though it fits later on in the song i think its best to improvise and make a new pattern rather than limiting yourself to minor consistency issues which makes your map play weirdly Filler rhythm would be rhythm made to incorporate stuff where there ain't anything yet in a fitting way (hopefully); here however is no need for such, since all the rhythms are here already (that's how I map) so it's rather about if they fit or not, which imo they do (and if you say they fit for some part, why'd this not then considering it's the exact same. For more info on why the kiais are what they, read previous mods (if interested that is lol)
  20. 04:44:217 (2) - another example of a super late note ye u right and I know (fuck the drummer tbh) but similarly to above it's better this way
  21. 04:47:865 (2,1) - why is the cymbal not the one clicked, but the softer and less intense sound? recommend reducing sldierend by 1 tick and replacing it with the note Because it's only one cymbal sound and this f retarded drummer ain't on time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ basically as above for offtimed shiz
  22. 04:51:244 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - could be moved further for emphasis,it aint enuf >;o Further = jumpstream for the first or more spacing to 'em all? Nevertheless it's better this way, jumpstream is obviously out, it looks cleaner this way and plays better, and spacing is according to the drums which get quieter for the lattter 8 (or more like, it's different drum he's hitting there) aaanyways thus smaller spacing (I think there's previous ones to this as well,
    see those too. Stream of this length in fairly low intensity section like this is already quite the emphasis
  23. 05:31:109 (2) - make sliderend clickable? kind of inconsistent compared to the rest of the map Intentionally so for the less dense section.
    I doubt it literally contradicts "rest of the map" but you right I'm using 3/4 type sliders a lot. Anyways this is fine like this
  24. 07:24:483 (1,1,1,1) - just what i expected, gr8 job
    nic map
    gjob monstrata

Thanks for the mod!
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry
Moved this to pending too while updating
Stratos
M4M from your queue.

00:42:867 (1) - maybe emphasize this a little bit more by putting it on the slider end of 00:42:191 (2) - and move this a little bit more up to the left 00:43:137 (2) - something like this - https://stratos.s-ul.eu/pFeiTXFW

-

01:00:434 (2) - move this circle where the 01:00:569 (3) - is and then put the 01:00:569 (3) - on this slider head 00:59:488 (2) - something like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/6NyO44ez

-

02:10:164 (5) - maybe emphasize this a little more by overlapping it with this 02:08:002 (3) - and then move the reverse slider a little bit more down so you emphasize both sounds a little more,
and move 02:09:488 (2) - to the reverse slider tail? something like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/TrNCTtFZ

-

03:01:786 (1) - overlap with the slider end of 02:59:218 (2) - looks better

-

03:28:677 (3) - move this a bit more to the left so it looks better like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/ZIAZr0mW

-

03:41:786 (1) - overlap this with the slider end of 03:40:434 (3) - so it fits the last pattern more, and you're going for the stacking sliders in this part so it makes more sense to me. like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/KvvMAete

-

03:55:029 (1,2) - change this a little bit up so it emphasizes the sound on 03:55:299 (1) - a little more, something like this for example 03:55:299 (1) - something like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/WwONDcx1

-

03:55:840 (1) - stack this with 03:55:029 (1) - you can just move the pattern and then stack it again with 03:56:380 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - this part and then 03:58:812 (2,4) - this.

-

05:58:676 (3) - stack this with the slider tail of 05:56:649 (1) - so it emhpasizes it a little bit more and looks better in the blanket.

-

07:35:969 (2,1,2) - why not make this into a visually better triangle like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/LasPFzSg looks better

-

07:53:537 (6) - stack with slider end on 07:54:753 (2) -

-

08:17:185 (3) - rotate by ten degrees and the stack the slider head on 08:17:185 (3) - , and move these a little down so it doesn't have a ugly overlap with 08:17:185 (3) - like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/4fsvYAts

-

08:43:807 (1,2) - fix stack ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-

08:59:618 (1,2) - stack with 08:57:455 (1,2) -

-

09:01:239 (2) - maybe make the slider stack better with 09:00:158 (5,6) - like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/4tUbLlYT looks better

-

Good map, Honestly not many things I could point out but hopefully I was helpful in any way. If I would describe this map in one word it would be triangle heaven.
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Stratos wrote:

M4M from your queue.

00:42:867 (1) - maybe emphasize this a little bit more by putting it on the slider end of 00:42:191 (2) - and move this a little bit more up to the left 00:43:137 (2) - something like this - https://stratos.s-ul.eu/pFeiTXFW While the idea ain't bad and not like it couldn't hurt to have some additional emphasis for that, I think it's better as is. It's lining up with the patterning of the previous ones not only with blankets and that kind of shit but also what's important it's having similar spacing which is the main point here considering it's to indicate the rhythm similarity (which differs from most rhythms in these sections)

-

01:00:434 (2) - move this circle where the 01:00:569 (3) - is and then put the 01:00:569 (3) - on this slider head 00:59:488 (2) - something like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/6NyO44ez No? First of all using same spacing for different rhythms would not only play meh compared to this but also have way less emphasis at them.

-

02:10:164 (5) - maybe emphasize this a little more by overlapping it with this 02:08:002 (3) - and then move the reverse slider a little bit more down so you emphasize both sounds a little more,
and move 02:09:488 (2) - to the reverse slider tail? something like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/TrNCTtFZ Not necessary. There are specific places where 1/4 gaps are emphasised enough for spacings (mostly for other reasons than the sound itself actually) and this works better this way, the spacing of the jumps is enough so I'll avoid buffing the spacing to the jump itself (the relation to the object you wanted it stacked with is also pretty damn hollow lol

-

03:01:786 (1) - overlap with the slider end of 02:59:218 (2) - looks better Not really any difference, the objects ain't visible compared to each other at any level, and thus this is more positioned according to what'd play better (and this lines up better with that than going off the path with the stack which wouldn't even be visible at any point)

-

03:28:677 (3) - move this a bit more to the left so it looks better like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/ZIAZr0mW Literally no matter lol (so why not move heh?) but current (on the current side = right) it keeps the DS of the previous and next object with less differences and I prefer that >.<

-

03:41:786 (1) - overlap this with the slider end of 03:40:434 (3) - so it fits the last pattern more, and you're going for the stacking sliders in this part so it makes more sense to me. like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/KvvMAete Tested but sorry, it looks worse. It's important that these slider patterns all have the same spacings and positions and angles compared to their paired counterparts and keeping that while stacking that with waht you said and keeping the stack of the other made the position actually look very meh (with also additiona confliciting stacks with following patterns) and thus this looks like a more peaceful option after all

-

03:55:029 (1,2) - change this a little bit up so it emphasizes the sound on 03:55:299 (1) - a little more, something like this for example 03:55:299 (1) - something like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/WwONDcx1 Not really necessary, but nothing really holding back here either so moved little some way

-

03:55:840 (1) - stack this with 03:55:029 (1) - you can just move the pattern and then stack it again with 03:56:380 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - this part and then 03:58:812 (2,4) - this. No idea what you're on with the later suggestions and the first one is done already lul

-

05:58:676 (3) - stack this with the slider tail of 05:56:649 (1) - so it emhpasizes it a little bit more and looks better in the blanket. Not supposed to be in the blanket, it's supposed to be low spacing sparse rhythm into higher spacing denser rhythm just like is used a lot with the 1/1 and 1/2 (so it's not supposed to completely stop here

-

07:35:969 (2,1,2) - why not make this into a visually better triangle like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/LasPFzSg looks better Because it's supposed to be groups of 2 (so 2+2 here) and triangle doesn't fit into that

-

07:53:537 (6) - stack with slider end on 07:54:753 (2) - Why not actually. Moved both though to avoid having massive spacing on the circles (well it got buffed anyways though)

-

08:17:185 (3) - rotate by ten degrees and the stack the slider head on 08:17:185 (3) - , and move these a little down so it doesn't have a ugly overlap with 08:17:185 (3) - like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/4fsvYAts Pretty sure you fucked up some links, anyways looking your pic I think I know what you're about here, and it's not really necessary, the overlap doesn't really exist on editor even, much less in gameplay for that matter so there isn't really any point in shaking the status quo

-

08:43:807 (1,2) - fix stack ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ True enough (you fucked up your links again though)

-

08:59:618 (1,2) - stack with 08:57:455 (1,2) - Duuuuude there's like 2 seconds and couple dozen objects between them, no matter lol, placements are fine as is

-

09:01:239 (2) - maybe make the slider stack better with 09:00:158 (5,6) - like this for example https://stratos.s-ul.eu/4tUbLlYT looks better Not necessary, the relation between objects is shallow and their relative spacings to surroundings are more important.

-

Good map, Honestly not many things I could point out but hopefully I was helpful in any way. If I would describe this map in one word it would be triangle heaven. Indeed there were couple little things I accepted here, but to be fair have to mention that most of the time there isn't any point stacking objects with distinct time and object differences between them (like counting in seconds) especially in readily structured map. The relations between the to-be-stacked objects are trifling with gaps like that especially when the relative objects' immediate surroundings have usually way more relation to them, further restricting insignificant tunings like that. As you saw from couple examples, there were places with possibly executable ones too, but this time this way.
Thanks for the mod!
sytho
What up doc from the queue!

02:43:677 The liner flow with the circle doesn't feel good because you have a curved slider
03:19:625 Not an error, but grid snap doesn't perfectly center the objects in these rings
03:42:596 This circles mess up the flow of the transaction to the slider
04:48:541 Tic of this noise is completely off with the note
09:02:861 I consider this as an unexpected difficulty spike. Can you make it a non spaced stream leading into a spaced one so people can get the warning?

What I like about this map: It makes me feel like a drummer while playing it
Topic Starter
TheKingHenry

Matthew Rigaud wrote:

What up doc from the queue!

02:43:677 The liner flow with the circle doesn't feel good because you have a curved slider Difference would be nonexistent with short stream of low spacing. Also short streams with low spacing look better as linear (or slightly curved at most) so current works better.
03:19:625 Not an error, but grid snap doesn't perfectly center the objects in these rings Indeed can't really fix it and since it's on fairly good shape it can stay
03:42:596 This circles mess up the flow of the transaction to the slider Not sure what you mean? What you linked isn't circle (neither is the object still visible there) but since I presume you mean the lingering object bothers you, uh, not like that's problem or should be one. It shouldn't confuse anyone of how the pattern actually goes (and for one, it's likely not even visible anymore while playing)
04:48:541 Tic of this noise is completely off with the note You're right. It's better, however, to keep the timing more constant than to additionally time all the offnotes everywhere (as long as they aren't off by margins and frequency that'd fuck up the gameplay, which this isn't)
09:02:861 I consider this as an unexpected difficulty spike. Can you make it a non spaced stream leading into a spaced one so people can get the warning? You are right as in the stream probably comes outta nowhere for the player, music doesn't really tell of it beforehand; though it's clear to see it's stream right as it appears, and most importantly it's in the music. Also worth noting it's not very large spike in terms of how difficulty is calculated (albeit it's probably larger than that for most players) but rather consistent rise with how the finale overall is done. Anyways as the music kicks right in, it fits more to have the stream kick right in too. I actually did get some feedback on this from testplays but I rather prefer to sudden impact than making the transition smoother when it'd fit the music worse. It's also already having sliders before it to make the transition more lenient clicking-wise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What I like about this map: It makes me feel like a drummer while playing it
Didn't really accept anything so no kds, sorry
Thanks for the mod!
show more