forum

POWER nap for POWER score

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sancteria
Hey there,

I've been doing power naps for some time now, only when ever I feel like not having had the greatest sleep and feeling a bit dizzy in the noon.

Yesterday Ive had the same issue, playing Osu, actually breaking some records of mine but feeling dizzy, so Ive set my alarm to 30 minutes and jumped right into my bed (really important to keep it below 30 minutes)

Right after my little nap, Ive went back on Osu, playing the same maps Ive broke some records on and then my aim and accuracy as well as confidence did jump right out of the roof, improvement of 3-6% accuracy as well as much higher combos and such.

So for anybody who wants to break some scores and getting something finally FCed, set your alarm to 30 minutes, take a quick nap and try again right after that.

You can spend 30 minutes not playing well at all, not FCing anything and feeling bad about it or spend 30 minutes to feel great afterwards, increasing the chance to FC your stuff. Fair trade I guess.
Sandy Hoey
tldr: take breaks
Topic Starter
Sancteria
a power nap is differen and helps moret than just sitting down and listen to music...or ASMR O.O
E m i
Sry i can only sleep once every 26-32 hours and I only remember taking one successful nap 7 years ago
Topic Starter
Sancteria
once every 26-32 hours...I would develop some serious depression shifting my sleep schedule that hard
E m i
it took me years to realize that 24 hours was the shifted one, it ALWAYS took me at least 2 hours to fall asleep. now i can finally sleep normally but i wish days were longer :(
Yukitemi
Oh you know what they say. Why sleep if you can not...
Kasumi-sama
Why sleep when you can try even more and fail.
dung eater
Clicking circles is nice after a nap/sleep. I have not tried power naps but two sleeps a day 1-4h kinda works.
Topic Starter
Sancteria

jaaakb wrote:

Clicking circles is nice after a nap/sleep. I have not tried power naps but two sleeps a day 1-4h kinda works.

Yeah it does pull at the same string.

The reason why to keep the nap below 30 minutes is, because you want to prevent to enter the first deep sleeping cycle. If you wake up during a deeper sleeping cycle, you gonna feel fatigue and bad afterwards.
Ive managed to create a strategy which lets me wake up each morning without hearing an alarm clock, trust me, you feel sooooo amazing if you wake up all by yourself.

Momiji wrote:

it took me years to realize that 24 hours was the shifted one, it ALWAYS took me at least 2 hours to fall asleep. now i can finally sleep normally but i wish days were longer :(

Ive had the same problem for months but Ive done some massive research about sleep and everything which helps.
I had to experiment a lot and the following helped me sleeping through (which I couldn't for YEARS) as well as falling asleep in the usual 10 minutes.

1 hour before I plan to go to bed, I dim all lights and stop using electronics. However, if I do, I dim them and delete the blue light information, there are apps for your smartphone and programs for your PC, my screens actually have that function inbuild.

I do tidy up some stuff for 20 minutes, after that I do some sort of a small "evening journal", writing down the 3 best things of the day, which things could have been done better as well as which 3 things can be done next day in order to move forward in life.

Especially that thing with the 3 best things of the day is really usefull, Ive learned it from entrepreneurs who coached me a bit.

After that I do a simple breath awareness meditation, during that, I open my windows and let my bed room flood with fresh and cool air.

After meditation I go to bed and let myself think about these 3 best things of the day, after that I do focus my exhales and how they calm me more and more down.

It might sound like a super complicated thing to do but it's really super easy, especially once it became a habit. You feel great and amazing the day after.
The biggest change brought that trick with dimming the lights as well as stop using electronics 1 hour before sleep, it fixed my problem of sleeping through.

Try it out and change your life for better today :D
Flying Deer
A big problem with all the sleeping wisdom that's passed around is that it sounds stupid. You would think it comes from some simple-minded lucky bastard who already had no problem sleeping, and that they are sufficiently dumb and self-centered to believe that their success in sleeping is due to their ritual.

In reality, the general wisdom does help. Personally I still need 2 hours to fall asleep, but at least now I'm fine with a 24-hour system. I no longer wish we had 28 hours days like I used to for more than 20 years.

The human body has an impressive ability to adapt. You should periodically remind yourself of that, because it's easy to forget how good we are at that. You can adapt in good and bad ways.

You can sleep at random times which is the equivalent to eating whatever and watching whatever on the TV instead of working out...
You can push your body to optimize the way it works for a 24 hours schedule...
Or you can push it to optimize for a 28 hours schedule or longer, which is definitely not a good idea, but entirely possible.

You might think you feel ok enough and that it's your only option anyway, and that the little discomfort within you is caused by your life situation or whatever. But if one day you finally stop being stupid and push your body long enough (weeks, maybe even 2 months...) to go to bed and get up at mostly set times (you can allow yourself a few hours of leniency), you will regret not having done that sooner. It's not only a matter of convenience of living on the same rhythm as the sun, it's also a matter of health, both mental and physical, and I can't stress enough that you might really believe that you are fine even though you aren't.

This stuff works, and it's easy for us to underestimate how much it matters.

This post was directed at nobody in particular. What Momiji wrote is exactly what I would have written if I was 5 years younger. So this goes to anyone to who it may apply.
E m i
Well, at first I had no trouble until I was 7 years old and went to school.
Afterwards for 6 years I was indeed trying to push myself into the 24 hour schedule, and for 6 years it didn't work.

Flying Deer wrote:

weeks, maybe even 2 months...
I devised a plan along the lines of "go to sleep right after school so that you have like 10 hours of headroom for staying up longer per week" and it fixed my problems.

If it was caused only by me being paranoid while laying in bed thinking about stuff like "omg every second spent not falling asleep is one second of sleep less, 10 second passed, 10 second passed again, wtf where is my sleep, will i luck out and be able to wake up naturally?" then I can probably already fix it, because I don't go to school anymore.

If it was caused by stress, then maybe I will be able to fix it when I move out.

Or maybe it was random? :|

So plz wish me luck in being able to fix it. It would be ultra annoying if my inability to sleep normally was eating a third of the potential time spent with my future husband ~_~

Oh well I will probably report back in 2 years or whatever because I'm treating the osu forums like my personal diary sometimes
pandaBee
I lie down on bed and I fall asleep a minute later
???
profit
E m i

pandaBee wrote:

I lie down on bed and I fall asleep a minute later
???
profit
If so then you're just like Baru 8-)
pandaBee

Momiji wrote: