forum

Warning players that unknowingly play converted maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,824
Topic Starter
Byza
What do we propose?
Each time a player starts playing a standard difficulty automatically converted to osu!taiko and osu!mania, they should receive a warning message, similar to the warning message you receive when you play a loved or qualified beatmap.

“This is an osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!taiko mode
There are specifically created maps for every game mode”

“This is an osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!mania mode
There are specifically created maps for every game mode”

Why?
New players can’t possibly know that there are specifically designed beatmaps for every gamemode and they usually get the wrong impression from a certain game mode by playing automatically converted beatmaps that do not reflect the actual gameplay of the mode: they can be boring and repetitive and they don’t meet the quality standards from mode-specific maps.

We have found people commenting on social media about osu!taiko and osu!mania, negatively reviewing our game. Opinions like “osu!taiko maps have weird notes, like they don’t belong” “Every note is red”, etc. This happened in a Taiko no Tatsujin environment, in particular. This moved us to do something and we came up with this idea.

We want more people to try osu!taiko and osu!mania, and adding this warning could benefit us all.

What do we expect getting from this?
The idea is not “hating” on converted beatmaps but letting new players know that they could be playing maps specifically crafted for that game mode in particular, which actually follow the standards of the current ranking criteria and let them judge by themselves and decide what to play.

A good idea could be adding an option to enable/disable the warning, so players that do know the difference can play converted maps without being bothered by the warning.

An additional suggestion that we don’t know how to exactly implement, would be adding a third line to the warning, specifying the names of taiko and mania difficulties. Surely there are better ways to do this.

“This is an osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!taiko mode
There are specifically created maps for every gamemode
Taiko difficulties are usually named Kantan, Futsuu, Muzukashii, Oni or Inner/Ura Oni”

“This is a osu!standard map automatically converted to osu!mania mode
There are specifically created maps for every gamemode
osu!mania difficulties are usually named EZ, NM, HD or EX”

random example
Names deleted to avoid annoying the people involved

“Seeing this reminds me that I suck in osu!taiko. It makes me dizzy, I am so bad.
By the way, ------, do you play osu!?”

“Yes, and I didn't like it, I tried improving it making it closer to Taiko no Tatsujin, but the community seems to add notes without caring for the rhythm.

This proposal was made by

Taiko Spain Discord Server

Up to this point, ctb players in this thread have stated that CTB could benefit from this warning, because their gameplay is considerably different from actual CTB maps.
mangomizer
YES

This sounds like an amazing idea.
Raiden
i'll drop my 50 stars here
Caput Mortuum
yes yes
Faustas156
YESSSSSSS
Anemic Witch
Converted CtB maps also sucks, not so much as mania however.
You can also search "mode=mania" or "mode=taiko", that removes all converted maps from the list.
Topic Starter
Byza

Master_chan wrote:

Converted CtB maps also sucks, not so much as mania however.

Ctb players have converts in a good consideration. I am not a CTB player myself so I can't speak for them in this topic, but I've received positive feedback of them.

Master_chan wrote:

You can also search "mode=mania" or "mode=taiko", that removes all converted maps from the list.

Yes, but a new player doesn't know that. This feature is intended to help new players that don't know the concept of "converted" map vs. "mode-specific" map
babble4
Ooh what a good idea
pakie tsum fan
Yeah. A Cool Idea!.
Edgar_Figaro
Yeah i know for a fact that so many people don't realize there are specific maps. Popped in to many random streams and noticed them playing Auto-convert maps and when I mentioned it to them they had no idea there was anything else.
Pawsu
surprised this hasn't been requested before, sounds good to me
Nitrous
Will there be an option to toggle this (with this being on by default)? Its a good idea anyways.
Topic Starter
Byza

Nitrous wrote:

Will there be an option to toggle this (with this being on by default)? Its a good idea anyways.
Yes, Indeed! If they accept this:

Post wrote:

A good idea could be adding an option to enable/disable the warning, so players that do know the difference can play converted maps without being bothered by the warning.
Thanks for the feedback :)
AlvaroYL
Let's go
Jaye
Take my stars /o/
Topic Starter
Byza
280 stars in... 2 hours? Thanks people :)
Hanjamon
glad to see these amounts of stars :D
Stefan
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
HomieLove
take all of my votes
Weber
yeah

galo sengen
Yuzeyun
10 print "FUCKING YES"
20 goto 10
Feerum
It's an interesting idea.
While i'm not completelly against converts, a hint that game mode specific beatmap exist is really good.
Kamikaze
Very good idea, supporting.
I would love to have pp on them disabled as well but we can't all be winners
Misieuroo
Great idea.

Just like loved/qualified maps, we should also think about disabling (or at least nerfing) pp on converts, especially given the fact that the current highest pp play on taiko is a ridiculous 700+pp on a convert, while 500pp plays on regular taiko maps are way harder to achieve.
show more