forum

Is there a way to alt using DDKK?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Okayumi
As the title says, is it possible?
I'm new to taiko, and was looking for a way to play..

1. I got that alt is the best way to play at max potential in difficult levels (if done properly, so i'll try getting used to it by now)
2. I got that DDKK/KKDD as the easiest learning curve, so thought that I could try it

That's why I'm trying to mix them, so is it recommended?
thank you

(also, i'm using DDKK with only two fingers(index of both hands) on CVBN, is it normal?)
Endaris
You "can" alternate using ddkk but there is no real purpose behind it compared to kddk alternating.
Alternating kddk means you are alternating between hands, giving you potentially higher speed because 2 consecutive keypresses are not physically linked in any instance (except for finishers).
You could play
d d
as
c v

but the major upside of alternating is lost in any case.
As for using only 2 fingers, you are not going to get very far with it I think because patterns like quick ddd or kkk will be impossible to properly perform with only one finger and if you use your second index you will lose a lot of time moving between colors - and even then stuff like dkddk would be difficult.
I'd definitely recommend you investing the time to play with 4 fingers.
Topic Starter
Okayumi

Endaris wrote:

You "can" alternate using ddkk but there is no real purpose behind it compared to kddk alternating.
Alternating kddk means you are alternating between hands, giving you potentially higher speed because 2 consecutive keypresses are not physically linked in any instance (except for finishers).
You could play
d d
as
c v

but the major upside of alternating is lost in any case.
As for using only 2 fingers, you are not going to get very far with it I think because patterns like quick ddd or kkk will be impossible to properly perform with only one finger and if you use your second index you will lose a lot of time moving between colors - and even then stuff like dkddk would be difficult.
I'd definitely recommend you investing the time to play with 4 fingers.
ok thank you!
I was doing 2 index because i'm really slow at reading, and having control of my hands
But i'll try practicing enough to play better..
wwould you recommend kddk alternating (getting used with hard things at the start so on't have problems later) or do ddkk as normal?
Endaris
This depends on your playing motivation ;)
If you aspire to get to the very top you will want to learn kddk but if you just want to play Oni diffs and enjoy your time then either will work out.
There's a ranking of kkdd/ddkk-players here that shows that it is very possible to get up to ~rank 150 with that playstyle. There is also some discussion in there how you could handswitch with that playstyle so you should definitely check that out.
In the end it's really up to your choice ;) I'm not an experienced Taiko player either so all I can do is give you an overview.
Topic Starter
Okayumi
Thank you again :)
I'll be using kddk

and gonna have lot of fun
DeletedUser_4050493
I started learning taiko at Jan 2k17 with kddk full alt-style
Very hard at 1st but just try to press the button in right pattern and timing with HT when I start learning Oni instead mashing random button (but when it come to miss it's hard for me to follow the flow and begin mashing)
Even I don't play everyday because real life work, I still see improvement like a couple week or so to beat old local records.. :)
-Valony-
Hi,

I'm myself a "full-alt" ddkk player,

Yes it's possible to do a full alt ddkk.

there is only few full alt ddkk so you won't heard a lof of thing about it.

Few things to know : Yes kddk is overall better than ddkk, but harder to learn imo.

Contact me ingame if you want more informations,

Cordialy,
-Valony-
BabySnakes
kddk isn't better than ddkk, they're just different. While kddk is harder to start out with and easier to master, ddkk is easier on the beginning but harder to master but they're still balanced playstyles.
I hear people complaining about ddkk's speed but you don't even need to handswitch in order to achieve 300bpm streams, just dedication and training. I'd tell you to stick with the playstyle you want to play and find more fun to. After all the choice is yours.
Hanjamon
as Valony said, yes, it's possible to full alt with DDKK/KKDD style, but in my case, i'm only using it at +290 bpm, as it's not accurate at all.
IControl

Okayumi wrote:

As the title says, is it possible?
Ah Kinda?
applerss and tasha do a weird semi alt thing where do do d dkd as a v vbv ( using ur key bindings) but almost everything else is fully alted. I tired playing full alt but doing d dkd was very confusing so I also do the weird semi alt thing now in high bpm maps. As for playing with two fingers with ddkk style It's also possible but I recommend you learn hand switching ( which is moving your index fingers from, 1 red and 1 blue to, both red keys or both blue keys) It will be much easier to play ddd with two index fingers instead of one. No one, that I know, has ever fully committed to this before but you are welcome to try. Also using 4 keys close to each other like (CVBN) is very normal if you are going to be handswitching.
Edgar_Figaro
I honestly don't think handswitching would ever help me as my main dominant tapping finger is my middle finger and not my index finger. I only use index fingers for 1/4+ patterns