forum

Keyboards. How do you not break them?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Slay
Hi,

I've broken two of my keyboards already. I've spent about $300 on keyboards alone and ordered a new one yesterday.

I've seen people like Rafis absolutely destroy their keyboards on stream by tapping with extreme force, meanwhile here, my keyboards break. Am I doing something wrong? How do I keep that from happening?

I know that I should try tapping lighter and I've started doing so, yet still. My second keyboard's switch got loose and came off, not sure if it was my fault or the actual build quality of the keyboard. I just don't want to waste another 150~$

Thank you for your attention.
KupcaH
?? How the fuck can you even break keyboard with tapping
mulraf

KupcaH wrote:

?? How the fuck can you even break keyboard with tapping
^ this

i've had 2 keyboards in my lifetime, and one of them i got like a year ago, the other one lasted like over 15 years and i don't know anyone who taps as hard as me oO
StephOsu
how buffed are you and which keyboard did you use
the only time my keycap got loose and drop off was when i was tapping really hard like a madman because i was actually mad
but it's only the keycap that came off so it wasn't even an issue
i actually can't help but be amazed of that
+1 postcount
Topic Starter
Slay
:?

StephOsu wrote:

how buffed are you and which keyboard did you use
the only time my keycap got loose and drop off was when i was tapping really hard like a madman because i was actually mad
but it's only the keycap that came off so it wasn't even an issue
i actually can't help but be amazed of that
+1 postcount
I used Razer Blackwidow Chroma and a Corsair k65 Rapidfire. Surprisingly, Razer held up longer than the Corsair did despite the fact that it gets called out for having poor build quality.

I was casually playing osu with my Razer keyboard and then I tapped on my key (way too hard i guess lol) and the switch got stuck. Sent Razer an email, they sent me a new keyboard back, no biggie. Sold it for $120, added a bit of my own money and then bought a Corsair keyboard. I absolutely loved it but I started noticing some weird things happening to it early on.

The A-key started double clicking sometimes, probably because I broke it with my tapping lol. I switched my gameplay keys to default and then after a month of playing like that. The switch of the Z-key came off completely while I was writing a message to a friend. Now I'm here. No keyboard (using dad's mech and really trying not to break it) and no motivation to keep playing despite the fact that I love this game.

I ordered a Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro M RGB and I will try my damn best at not breaking it, just like I did with Corsair LUL

I still don't understand how people click so hard and don't break their keyboards. I'm honestly jealous. :cry:

Edit: I'm not buff at all. A regular overweight osu! player LUL And I also broke 3 keycaps on my Razer keyboard :roll:
StephOsu
oh
chroma
no wonder
it's like the worst and most overpriced mechanical keyboard on the market
any razer keyboard simply outperforms chroma even though they are just as shitty
anyways I had been using my Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition™ for close to 2 years now, and I had been really rough to it (slamming my hand right onto the keyboard) for a few times past those years, and I hadn't been having issue on this keyboard yet so far.
The only issue this keyboard have right now is caused by wear and tear of the Z and X key thanks to osu, but they simply just feel less clicky (and producing slightly softer voice) compare to other key
my story aside, here's a quick question for you
do you tap really hard specifically on faster map (and/or DT), or do you tap really hard even on slow (<160bpm) maps as well?
+1 postcount
Celine
Don't click too hard, I guess?
I've had my Logitech G105 for like 4 years and it survived many keyboard smashing incidents
Pretty sure your average mech keyboard are more durable than that
Topic Starter
Slay

StephOsu wrote:

oh
chroma
no wonder
it's like the worst and most overpriced mechanical keyboard on the market
any razer keyboard simply outperforms chroma even though they are just as shitty
anyways I had been using my Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition™ for close to 2 years now, and I had been really rough to it (slamming my hand right onto the keyboard) for a few times past those years, and I hadn't been having issue on this keyboard yet so far.
The only issue this keyboard have right now is caused by wear and tear of the Z and X key thanks to osu, but they simply just feel less clicky (and producing slightly softer voice) compare to other key
my story aside, here's a quick question for you
do you tap really hard specifically on faster map (and/or DT), or do you tap really hard even on slow (<160bpm) maps as well?
+1 postcount
I tend to click hard during fast stuff, especially DT. I stopped playing DT for a while.

BWSnoob wrote:

I've had my Logitech G105 for like 4 years and it survived many keyboard smashing incidents
Tried, broke my Corsair keyboard. It's something in my mind that tells me to click harder during fast stuff. I click a lot lighter than I used to but it's still hard.
mulraf

BWSnoob wrote:

yeah, the one that lasted that long for me was also a logitech g with rubberdomes :D (but an older one)
those really are way more durable then what people say.
Topic Starter
Slay
I guess I'll just click even lighter that I already did lmao.
dung eater
Half of that price is leds or air..
magickaichen
A normal mechanical keyboard can at least sustains ~30M consecutive taps for each key, so don't worry if you just use it as normal.
- Zuramaru -

magickaichen wrote:

A normal mechanical keyboard can at least sustains ~30M consecutive taps for each key, so don't worry if you just use it as normal.
The last reply on this thread was 8 months ago. Please try to check the date since the last post before replying.
The Gambler
I am working on an "ultimate guide" on how to build custom keyboards for osu, but for now, please make do with my guide below.
DXPOHIHIHI
Just don't tap harder
arzi
But the date of this thread... :thonk: