forum

My Skin Doesn't Feel Right For Me Anymore - Thoughts?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
Just this last week I've been in a weird state with osu. I've been going back and playing maps that I've beaten before in hopes of Fcing or improving on my old score. In some cases I have, but in more cases I have gotten worse.

As I replay some maps I wonder how I ever got X sized combo or FCed that map in the past. I've been changing up my pen grip, the way I hold my tapping hand, the area that I use on my tablet. They've all gotten relevtively better, but one thing stayed "wrong." The skin I've used and tailored for myself for however many months now, suddenly doesn't make sense to me. I shitmiss so frequently with it that I can't help but thing the skin is the problem.

So I tested this theory by playing some old maps with skins completely new to me. Toy's skin, zeluaR's skin and even the keemstar skin (laughed my ass off at that one) are the 3 I tried. I beat old scores, and just felt like I understood jump patterns and streams better. Just a few minutes ago I got a (shitty) FC on
Terrible accuracy for a simple 4.38* song, but it's an FC nonetheless. That's something I've been having trouble getting on maps over 500 combo as of late. I did that with zeluaR's skin and even got a higher combo with the keemstar skin than my own.

So my question is, has this ever happened to you, and if so what did you do about it? Should I drastically change my skin, or make small modifications to varying aspects of it?

Here are each skin that I used, I always felt mine was clear, atleast to me. But now I just don't get it. Toy's felt cluttered to me, but I still preformed better then with my own. zeluaR's was a bit clearer to me, but the hitsounds threw me off. The keemstar skin just made me laugh and surprised me when I felt I understood it better then my own skin.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hq73h48d8 ... eshDan.osk Keemstar skin (warning; fairly offensive)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6aiw2u328v3u0qy/X17.osk zeluaR's skin
https://www.mediafire.com/?xl678wu1qz1fv7t Toy's skin (not current)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zh204s8caj8157a/Tanya.osk My skin

If you notice something wrong with my skin that I'm not seeing, then please point it out. I want to keep my skin similar to how it is, but I also want to find out what's making it feel so unfamiliar this past week. Thank you.
StephOsu
it's up to you tbh
you can change the whole skin if you want (like changing the skin to zeluar skin and change it's hitsound)
or you can just change a few elements that make sense to you (like change your skin's hitcircle to zeluar skin's hitcircle)
P.S. too lazy to download the skins to check them out
+1 postcount
ManuelOsuPlayer
Eyes on circles.
abraker
Contrast the circles, perhaps make them 90%-75% smaller, make the approach circles just visible enough to be able to read them, make the cursor contrast everything, and make everything else black.
Celine
I don't see a point of sticking to a skin that you can't even read
ManuelOsuPlayer

BWSnoob wrote:

Learn to read.
Celine
Try switching some things up abit with your skin and see how you perform, if you still perform badly, then do drastic makeover, or even ditch making custom skin entirely and use others' skin instead.
KupcaH

Manfred wrote:

So my question is, has this ever happened to you, and if so what did you do about it? Should I drastically change my skin, or make small modifications to varying aspects of it?
Few month ago I've had an issue where I couldn't play with one skin for more than half day, I was starting to misread everything. I was trying to make a mix skin of various elements to make it comfortable, but I still couldn't play it for more than day. So I've just downloaded and edited like 15 clean skins and numbered their names from 1 to 15 and when I was starting to getting bored I just randomly select another one.
Rn I'm playing most of the time with Doomsday skin, but sometimes I change skin and feel like I play 10x better, reading is easier, I'm aiming better and it's easier to acc. That's how I've achieved 362pp play yesterday.
So it's up to you, you can try to get a good mix for yourself, or just download a bunch of skins and play with them like I did.
N0thingSpecial
No skin is shit you're just bad, play with invisible skin is the only true way of playing
Topic Starter
Manfred

N0thingSpecial wrote:

No skin is shit you're just bad, play with invisible skin is the only true way of playing

I'll get right on that.

BWSnoob wrote:

Try switching some things up abit with your skin and see how you perform, if you still perform badly, then do drastic makeover, or even ditch making custom skin entirely and use others' skin instead.

BWSnoob wrote:

abraker wrote:

Contrast the circles, perhaps make them 90%-75% smaller, make the approach circles just visible enough to be able to read them, make the cursor contrast everything, and make everything else black.
I tried playing with zeluaR's skin again. I managed to pull of a reverse choke (miss at 300 combo, then FC the rest, something I haven't ever been able to do on that map) and got a some ok pp (by my standards)

It's pretty clear to me that I can read that skin and not my own. So I'm going to "repurpose" parts of zeluaR's skin and make it into my own.

As for sticking to a skin I can't read, I just wanted to try and keep a skin I've used for so long with me, I don't like change too much but change is clearly what I need right now. I was trying to go for a Tanya Degurechaff theme with the combo color, background and such. So I'll try and work that into the next skin I botch together. Also I'm not sure about the cursor contrast, ZeluaR's cursor practically blends in with the colors of his skin and it worked fine for me. Might just make it a bright yellowish white if it doesn't work down the line. Thanks for the responses guys.
FreezyLemon
So.. first things first. Everyone gets in a slump sooner or later, and this could just be one. Taking a break from osu! for a week or two has actually helped me improve way more than playing every day for a month or two on some occasions.

Now back to your problem at hand:
The thing with skins is that they are very subjective. In my personal experience, I've found that there is not only no perfect skin for me (everything has advantages and disadvantages), but also that you just have to change your skin at least once in a while (takes longer for some people than it does for others, but many change their skin after some period of time).

What I, personally, would say about your current skin, is that it has too much "visual noise" for me to read maps "at my best". I would remove the star2 and the cursortrail from the skin completely, and maybe change the hitcircles to something with a stronger outline.. plus change the sliders a bit etc etc etc.
At the end of the day, you should probably experiment with your skin like you are with your pen grip and other variables.. While you can't blame everything on equipment and skin, you should assume that you can still make it better somehow.

Maybe try changing the resolution down to something smaller so you don't have to move your eyes as far when reading (especially if you're close to your monitor), maybe try removing followpoints (could prove challenging for higher AR maps though), maybe change the hitsounds, maybe turn off the UI while playing... there's so many variables here that could be changed, and I can't really tell you what exactly is the problem here. But what I can tell you is that you could just find out for yourself :P

Hope I could help^^
dung eater
Try changing whatever it is you have a problem with and play more. Lighting and monitor+it's settings are a big deal in addition to your skin.
Ayesha Altugle
I used to not play well in my personal skin as well, so i played with chitanda skin and all i need is to change the cursor so i can play with it quite well. And then i tried to see if that would work on my personal skin, and it turns out, i can play quite well again, so i'm back to using my personal skin.

So what i'm trying to point out is that, mix and match the skins so you can get all the advantages.
Skidayo
use gamma
Ryoid
download a ton of skin then mix and match with your personal preference