forum

Star-Rate Dificulty

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SchnoppDog
Hello all Osu players and maybe Beatmapcreators
I have a question which is going through my mind when I was playing some of my Osu Beatmaps.
So as you can see my problem is to understand the Star-Rating difficulties. Like I am playing a Map which tells me it has the difficulty i.e. 4.09 Stars. That's normally easy for me to play but then the Beatmap is created like it is more than 4 stars so it feels like 5 or even 6 stars. How can that be? schouldn't Star-Rankings match the actual difficulty?
For example let's have a look on the Beatmap of Monstrata with AMAZING BREAK. It is shown as 4.24 Stars. For casual 4-Star players like me it isn't that hard just by looking on the Stars. But playing it once I realize that this Beatmap CAN'T be 4.24 Stars and it feels more like 5 Stars or more.

So Can you maybe make me understand why many Beatmapcreators can't rank their maps ordinary so that the player community can realize how "hard to play" this Beatmap maybe is?

I have no intention to harass somebody and the creators with my question and I do not mean any harm or "hating" against this example of Monstrata. It is just for my understanding why you rank those Beatmaps so low.

If this Text is in any way inappropriate I will it remove or re-organize it instantly.
Sandy Hoey
Because it is hard to decide what difficult is. Each player has their strengths and their weaknesses and if we assign star ratings based off of one factor, it may not reflect other important aspects. You just have to realize that star ratings are not 100% accurate descriptions and are instead just estimates
StephOsu
star difficulty is only like idk
30% accurate?
it's basically as what sandy said
it's hard to decide what difficulty it is outside of judging from the surface
i had played some 5* maps that's as hard as 7*, and i had played some 6* maps that feels like borderline 5* maps. so just believe in star difficulty on macro level
+1 postcount
Topic Starter
SchnoppDog
Thank you you two. Now I can understand it. Thank you very much
N0thingSpecial
Star Rating only measure distance and note density(?), so nothing on pattern complexity, rhythm complexity, reading, flow, and other stuff.

so two maps can have similar spacing, but one could be harder just because it's harder to read. Hence the difference in feeling of difficulty
Skidayo
star rating system in this game is totally fucked up
use the scoreboard instead to know the actual difficulty.

many hddt / hdhr fc -> easy map.
Kayy

Skidayo wrote:

star rating system in this game is totally fucked up
use the scoreboard instead to know the actual difficulty.

many hddt / hdhr fc -> easy map.
not always true, countdown to the blue is easy too lmao, barely any hdhr plays.
Celine
Star difficulty doesn't take patterns, readability, and technical gimmicks (skills that not many people have tbh),
A.k.a extremely inaccurate
abraker
It's hard to put what makes a map difficult into math because the brain doesn't know how it and other brains works

Simply put, we have no idea how we read this shit, hence the approximation based on just note rate and cursor velocity