forum

FELT - After rain

posted
Total Posts
show more
Voxnola
I too love to voice my same amazing, underlying opinions over multiple posts to fill threads with my magnificent aura.
zev

Naxess wrote:

This is a rhythm game at it's core
i'm pretty sure osu! is not a rhythm game.
Naxess
Discussed with UC in-game
logs
Naxess: sup
UndeadCapulet: o/
Naxess: Alright so I don't believe the slider to be acceptable in it's current state
Naxess: I do understand that you'd like to keep it, but it just misses out on way too many aspects as is
Naxess: It does work as contrast to other parts, but in this case it's a bit extreme, to the point where the only difference between it and a break is basically that you're holding down a button
Naxess: What do you think?
UndeadCapulet: i can understand where you're coming from, but there are other differences as well
UndeadCapulet: (btw sorry for slow responses, im rly slow typer/trying to word things well is hard)
Naxess: dw lol
UndeadCapulet: during a break hp drain stops, bg brightens, and the player can freely move the cursor how they please, even completely lifting their hand from the mouse/tablet
UndeadCapulet: it's a moment of relaxation
UndeadCapulet: my slider makes the player keep holding down a button and keep their cursor bound to the sliderbody, to try to work like a moment of tension
UndeadCapulet: and i think you read this? but its not my idea alone, i got it from another map that happened to have the same musical requirements
UndeadCapulet: (the long, constant background noise during the least intense part of the song to create tension before the last kiai)
Naxess: I see where you're coming from, but the song isn't just a really long held note going over these sections, it's background vocals, chorals, which in turn have moments of pause. Places where the tension is lifted. That's where the distinctions happen for the most part.
UndeadCapulet: ACTION is listening to [https://osu.ppy.sh/b/722224 Sawai Miku - Colorful. (Asterisk DnB Remix)]
UndeadCapulet: it was this map, when it was first uploaded it had a long slow slider like mine
Naxess: For example, if you listen right before 04:07:040 - , and then listen to that beat, you'll notice the vocals gain in strength
UndeadCapulet: it was removed for hitsounding unrankability issues
UndeadCapulet: and if you check disqus comments people were sad about it
UndeadCapulet: it was placed from 03:33:117 - to 03:42:546 -
UndeadCapulet: or so
UndeadCapulet: i understand that there's other stuff going on in the song at that point, but i think drawing attention to those parts detracts from the map as a whole
Naxess: In what way?
UndeadCapulet: well, gonna try to not repeat myself but
UndeadCapulet: this part is technically quieter and less intense than any other point in the song
UndeadCapulet: but its super emotionally dense, it's the chorus vocals again, mika's about to cry, etc.
UndeadCapulet: and this point in the song is building up a ton of tension that will be released in the kiai
UndeadCapulet: i think breaking up this slider at all won't fit because it removes that feeling of tension
Naxess: Even while crying you need to breathe and release the tension though, if you want to put it that way.
Naxess: I mean even split up it will still build up towards kiai due to the difference in density, right?
UndeadCapulet: mm, i think any change in clicking, even 2 sliders vs 1, draws too much attention to a certain beat, even though this part of the song is so connected-feeling, and the release ruins the building of tension
UndeadCapulet: idk, i doubt i'll be able to convince you differently :x
UndeadCapulet: the best hope i can do is that, this is just a matter of opinion, and there are a bunch of people on both sides
UndeadCapulet: which is why i bring up things like the colorful map
Naxess: So basically you want to build tension, but that isn't possible any other way... that's the reasoning Bonsai mentioned hm hm
UndeadCapulet: mhm
Naxess: Even as I was making the first post, I knew that tension would be the dilemma faced here. The reason why I still made the post, regardless of knowing all this, is because said method of building tension is neither warranted by the song, nor reflective of it in gameplay. The song goes on with multiple distinctions throughout this section and plays an active role, not an idle one which solely holding down a button would suggest. This is where the dilemma happens. It's trading precise accentuation for overall accentuation, basically spreading out one prcinple throughout a large area. It's like undermapping in a way, but to an extreme degree where literally a single click corresponds to a whole section of a song. A time in which the player will solely hold down a button and rest, repositioning their hand properly and waiting for the 20 seconds to pass, rather than feeling strain or tension. So in conclusion, while I see your point, the method used misses more of the song than it reflects, and would ultimately be more determinental to gameplay and relevance to the song as a whole than anything.
UndeadCapulet: http://puu.sh/vK0oF/9dd116dcd6.jpg
UndeadCapulet: :x
Naxess: It probably truncated didn't it
UndeadCapulet: yeah that's what i was trying to show w/ the ss
Naxess: So basically the dilemma we're facing is
Naxess: Overall accentuation vs precise accentuation
UndeadCapulet: yep
UndeadCapulet: both ways are valid to me, but i prefer the one i've used
UndeadCapulet: and i guess you think only one is valid?
Naxess: It's undermapped to such an extreme degree that literally just one button accounts for a whole section
Naxess: And when listening to the song, there's much more going on
Naxess: I mean I sort of get where you're coming from with the tension, but the player will basically just hold down the key while repositioning and restig their hand
Naxess: rather than feeling strain or tension
Naxess: and in the end, it would ultimately be more determinental to the gameplay and the relevance to the song than anything else
Naxess: The importance to note in the dilemma is that it's not just a choice
Naxess: It's not just one or both are right
Naxess: There's a balance to be struck
Naxess: And I think we're edging a bit too far towards one side of that balance, especially when considering what the song has to offer
Naxess: Does this make sense?
UndeadCapulet: sorta, tho i always tend towards the extreme bc thats what i learned from all my fav mappers :P
Naxess: Just make sure not to go too extreme like this lol
UndeadCapulet: no, extremes always :v
UndeadCapulet: well, regardless of outcome, thanks for y'know
UndeadCapulet: actually discussing and stuff
Naxess: ye np np
UndeadCapulet: i appreciate it :3
UndeadCapulet: i do think there's also some weight to the fact that 5 bn's have pushed this forward leans to my favor, but i know that's not a strong argument :P
UndeadCapulet: if you could, a final post in the thread would be great
UndeadCapulet: just so there isn't like a
UndeadCapulet: "uh is this veto'd or not" thing like w/ earlier
Naxess: Ye I'll post and sum up stuff
UndeadCapulet: thanks~
In conclusion, a veto is currently maintained as per the original post, and the corresponding discussion has taken place.
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
so it turns out hs volume <5% doesnt actually do anything, so uh changed that...

Shame Naxess and I couldn't work something out, but hopefully this can start getting pushed forward again with the upcoming bn wave.
Yuii-
If you are willing to tank a BN yelling at you for some hours, then I'll gladly help you push this forward. Only if we can have a long discussion, keep that in mind!!
Doormat
irc chatlog; pink text added to provide context since we did most of the discussion on voice chat
01:24 *Doormat is editing [https://osu.ppy.sh/b/934012 FELT - After rain [muffled voice]]
01:24 Doormat: do you prefer irc, voice chat, or forum
01:24 UndeadCapulet: vc would be great
01:24 Doormat: k
01:25 Doormat: 00:04:243 - missed piano note here? we ended up adding in a circle here
01:26 Doormat: 00:14:529 - also appears here not this one though, since there is some variation in phrasing and this one is less strong as the others
01:27 Doormat: 00:17:957 - last one we added this one though
01:28 Doormat: 00:51:600 (1,2) - possible to offset the (2) here so that it's not perfectly stacked? i was worried that the perfect stack would cause a reading hazard; following pictures are ideas of how to position the circles to make it easier to read
01:28 UndeadCapulet: http://puu.sh/wKMda/59bd6bcef4.jpg
01:29 Doormat: https://puu.sh/wKMdM/542fb2251c.png
01:30 UndeadCapulet: http://puu.sh/wKMff/115f436ef2.jpg we ended up going with this one
01:31 UndeadCapulet: http://puu.sh/wKMid/d37c99d877.jpg regarding the piano note at 00:04:243 -
01:32 Doormat: 01:25:029 (3) - why finish on slider end no audible cymbal crash here, but Naitoshi/UC provided the argument that the syncopation created by using additive hitsounding gives a nice emphasis to this section, so i'll leave it as mapper's interpretation of the song
01:34 Doormat: 01:35:529 (6,7,8,1) - this is following the piano so the sudden spacing increase for (8) didn't really feel right
01:36 Doormat: https://puu.sh/wKMqr/d61929db4c.png
01:39 UndeadCapulet: http://puu.sh/wKMwb/6bd039ae25.jpg we ended up going with this resolution
01:40 Doormat: 01:49:441 (1,2,3) -
01:40 Doormat: what is that snapped to
01:40 Doormat: nvm i can hear it self-explanatory
01:42 Doormat: 02:10:013 (1,2,3) - move this closer? might be confused with 1/2 we agreed that based on previous rhythms players should be able to recognize this as 1/3 so this was unchanged
01:42 Doormat: 1/4*
01:44 Doormat: 02:56:727 - cymbal crash i don't think should be ignored but i understand why we ended up putting a circle here
01:49 Doormat: 04:23:754 (1) - increase sv here initially thought it might be a reading hazard; UC explained that buzz sliders are hard coded so that the repeat arrows show over the slider head so we agreed that this shouldn't be a reading issue. testplayed and can confirm that it shouldn't be an issue
01:52 Doormat: 05:12:705 (3) - we agree that there is a drum sound on the red tick prior to this note
01:52 Doormat: move to red tick and make 1/8 slider?
01:56 UndeadCapulet: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8602731 we ended up going with a 1/8 double instead of a 1/8 slider

regarding the elephant in the room about the long slider at 04:00:183 (1) - , i think it is actually appropriate given the context of the song. the song has just finished one of the more intense sections, and this slider provides a reprieve during a much calmer section that can't really be emphasized with the rhythms that have been used in similar sections; similarly a break would also break this contrast. i definitely agree with UC and Bonsai's previous explanations of why this slider works.

mapset looks good to me, and since i wasn't involved with the mapset prior to the vetoes, it should be okay for me to bubble. good luck with the ranking process!
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
And that makes BN #6. Thanks a ton Doormat, I really appreciate it <333

@Yuii- Thank you for your offer, it was a big surprise o:
I don't have a problem tanking a BN for hours, but I do have others interested atm as well, with more faith in the map's current state.
Nao Tomori
o
RVMathew
:) Let's go!
Izzywing
Ay, glad to see this getting pushed forward :)
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
ty hobbs ;;
Izzywing
BN#7 coming in

this was icon'd before the bn split so I'm able to heart this

good luck in qualified section

changes - very slight modificaiton of rhythm at 05:08:741 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) -
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
qualify ride begins again, i really appreciate it hobbes <3

Thanks again to all 7 bn's that have helped push this forward, and to everyone in the thread for discussing or supporting.
Aurele
ouhh, congrats!
Venix
gratz!
Yohanes
grats for loved qual! :D
schoolboy
finally congrats!!
Uberzolik
oooh this is finally coming back! grats on qualify and good luck!!
Natsu
seems u did it 8-)
Voxnola
........................................................................................................................................................................
Alright I'm here for your dq mod
DQ mod
gratz on qual lol. This thread has many war scars.
Xinnoh
gratz on qual
Kurai
Congratulations. Though I'm really not a big fan of that 26-second slider. Seems highly inappropriate to me and introducing interesting rhythms as you did in the intro would have been a far better solution.
nextplay

Kurai wrote:

Congratulations. Though I'm really not a big fan of that 26-second slider. Seems highly inappropriate to me and introducing interesting rhythms as you did in the intro would have been a far better solution.
Subjective tbh lo
Swell
Not sure what the point is of congratulating a map, only to end up being mean-spirited about it. Seems kind of unnecessary and rather low-character tbh.
Secretpipe
can someone explain me the thrilling part of that mappu? lazy to read
Lasse

Secretpipe wrote:

can someone explain me the thrilling part of that mappu? lazy to read

should be dq'd, it wasn't even iconed by at least 50% of the bng yet 👀
Ekoro
overall it just seems too irregular. there are some good parts like some really questionable parts where it felt like notes were thrown randomly.

i assume it's how the player mapped it so i'm not gonna argue further.

about that slider, although i understand the idea behind it, 23secs is really too long. should've split it in 7/1 sliders at best, or shorter
again, that's only my opinion, you may agree with this or not, just wanted to share my point.
_handholding

Kurai wrote:

This is so unprofessional from both a Mod and a BN especially that I'm quite shocked
Xinnoh
Serious question, should nao be in the tags for doing hitsounds? I've been removed from tags on a map I did keysounding for, so I'm not sure what's the correct answer here is
that said is it even dq worthy thing
Voxnola
You know, this will never get old.
Nao Tomori
good job sinnoh

time to dq

also hobbes should have flamed instead of heart
Yohanes
Next time I'll ask Naitoshi to bubble my map
Xinnoh
nevermind that

also what the heck it's two fake toshis
Monstrata
Naitoshi needs to become BN so its even more confusing,
Voxnola
lol
I'd bubble cool stuff, but I'm not going through the effort of contributing meaningless mods on random maps to get there. (I don't think I'd find enough maps with cool songs to consistently output meaningful mods lol)
Also if I became bn, the meme would be dead cause randoms would notice my existence. The meme is alive because I'm the random >:3

"hitsounding is relatively minor" ← this is blasphemy in standard (but hey, it's post-2014. nobody cares about hitsounds, only the hitsound copier lmao). If you got removed from tags for actually contributing, it's due to poor judgement on the staff side of things. That said, it's hard to make a case to DQ for one side or the other... as with my experience, it's all up to the mapper:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/204927
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/337188 *
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/408269
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/451850 ~*
I think the general guideline is "It is acceptable if the hitsounder hitsounded the entire mapset, or most of it." But there's a ton of ambiguity that still probably won't ever be clarified regarding this. Then again, I haven't read the rc in like 2 years so idk.

And sorry, I'm the only real toshi, thanks.
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
Naitoshi is the only real toshi
you can tell bc Naitoshi is the lewdest toshi
Zero__wind
late congratz