1.82%
The type of mapping
10.91%
other (specify in comments)
9.09%
Total votes: 55
Topic Starter
Haxwill
I want to see what other people think are important for osu beatmaps, so if you could answer the poll that would be nice (if your reason isn't stated, if you could tell us in the comments what it is that would also be nice)
StephOsu
tbh the question itself is confusing
because imo everything is just as important but if i have to pick then playability is the most important i guess
7ambda
pp isn't directly related to a map
N0thingSpecial
Good mapping is quite vague so I would say something along the line of "consistent micro and macro planning of every aspect to a beatmap"

For example I think tengaku plays like shit, but it's consistent in terms of rhythm, aesthetics and flow, to which I say it's a good map, and I still play it from time to time even though I don't like playing it.
Nao Tomori
"how good the mapping is" is pretty vague, i agree. but for me, the main important aspect of what makes a very good map is consistent application of a theme or concept; stuff like tengaku sticks really closely to its theme of ridiculous amounts of repetition in patterns, most hollow wings maps do similar things, and i strive to do the same in my own maps.
aside from the concept thing, the other really important part of a map is rhythm; if a map has bad rhythm, it doesn't really matter how good everything else is to me because this game is supposed to be about representing songs, not making stuff up randomly cuz it looks nice or plays comfortably.
Ryoid
Good playable beatmap that give alot of pp, my friend say
As for me i think a beatmap with a good rhythm sense is what called a Good beatmap
I Give Up
Basically everything. A map is shit when it lacks any of the important aspects; timing, hitsound, flow, and variation.
Underforest
"How good the mapping is"

imo the map quality is better than song and "pp gain", it is important how rhythm is expressed and how good are patterns. basically, with a bad mapping, a map would lack sense
NeTsune
Well... as some users here have already mentioned, basically everything but in my opinion the most important thing is that the map follows the rhythm and it's not too repetitive. Flow is a quite important aspect too. Also, I think that maps should never be insanely fast if the song isn't and the other way around. I don't really care about the pp part.
KupcaH

StephOsu wrote:

because imo everything is just as important but if i have to pick then playability is the most important i guess
Novalogic
Regardles - in the next best maps voting only easiest pp maps are going to get chosen...
autoteleology
The most important part of a map is whether or not it is one minute and thirty seconds long
abraker

Philosofikal wrote:

The most important part of a map is whether or not it is one minute and thirty seconds long
Yes because if it's thirty seconds long, you are not going to stop until you FC 6 hours later.
N0thingSpecial
Now that I think about it, nothing is important cause life has no meaning
Deva
All of those?
I mean I ain't playing that if the song is good but the map is atrocious and I'm also not playing if the map is good but song is some autistic screeching
StephOsu

N0thingSpecial wrote:

This guy knows
KupcaH

StephOsu wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

This guy knows
N0thingSpecial

HK_ wrote:

All of those?
I mean I ain't playing that if the song is good but the map is atrocious and I'm also not playing if the map is good but song is some autistic screeching
Pitch fucker intensifies
autoteleology

KupcaH wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

This guy knows
circlejerk intensifies.gif
kai99

StephOsu wrote:

because imo everything is just as important
i put importance on rhythm so that'd be the song which also makes the patterns/notes funky
MalcoraX
There are multiple factors that are equally important.
  1. For one, the difficulty has to reflect the song well. Having 1 minute long anime openings with 6*+ is pure insanity. I'm saying this especially in consideration of how the maps that are currently being ranked changed over the last 4 years.
  2. The map has to have decent hitsounding. 30% sound volume throughout the entire song is unacceptable. As a common rule (with exceptions for some songs, e.g very calm ones) every map should have 100% sound volume as its peak-volume during its 'loudest' part.
  3. The map has to have a decent flow throughout the entire song. Mistakes can happen but those should be eliminated in the ranking process. If two patterns don't go together very well (for instance you have stream going in a straight line and then you have another stream at the other end of the map going either in the same or in the opposite direction) they should be changed.
  4. The map should have a healthy difficulty progression/curve. If you remove the last pattern of a 6.5* map and suddenly have a 4.5* map that's a sign of really sloppy mapping. Big jumps are nice and all but if the map could be SS'd by a 100k player until the end and then suddenly has 6.5* jumps in it that's just unbalanced and not enjoyable. Leading me right to the last point...
  5. Spamming big jumps just to increase pp-count is incredibly cheap.
But the last point isn't a problem of the mapper, that is a problem of the ranking system and the people who decide to rank those maps. Never hate on a mapper for their map.
Zedek117
I'm not sure how to put this exactly, but what's most important to me is how well the map reflects the song. The circles should match the beats and almost feel like you're playing the song.
winber1
bad mapping in a good song makes for a bad map
good mapping in a shit song is makes for an uninteresting map
bad mapping in a bad song makes you look like a tard
good mapping in a good song makes for a good map
Akanagi
flow
StephOsu

MalcoraX wrote:

Spamming big jumps just to increase pp-count is incredibly cheap
sick i need these thanks
kai99