forum

Week long break - Good or Bad?

posted
Total Posts

Positive or Negative impact when you come back?

Positive
61.54%
Negative
38.46%
Total votes: 117
Topic Starter
Skeletroll
I am taking a week long break due to a vacation and I was wondering if when I come back my muscle memory will be all out of whack or if my wrist and mind will be refreshed and I will play the best I ever have? Before I took a break I was in the middle of a slump so I'm hoping this gets me out of my slump. What have week long breaks done to your level of play?
Sandy Hoey
Its fine, you may not be quite as good when you come back, but you definitely wont be bad. And you will regain your skill very easily. Also, sometimes a step back can be good. Give your mind a break and a chance to comprehend. You can't really tell until it happens. Have a nice vacation
TortlePancake
Hello, Returning User here. I took a few months break from osu bc studies. I can tell that my skills went rusty also my global rank went 90k to 120 real fast. Rn im actually struggling on playing 4+ star maps for the sake of my future... BUT UGH OH WELL, NICE VACATION
kymotsujason
*From my experience~*

As someone who dropped from 2k to 3.6k because of inconsistent playing, I can tell you that you can take a break for a week and still come back strong. You could take a break for multiple weeks and still come back strong (went 3k to 2.7k after like a month's break). However, if you keep taking breaks (like I did), you'll just keep falling.

The main thing you lose is consistency. It only takes a couple hours to regain your aim and stability (from experience), but it'll take way longer to regain consistency (basically FCing maps). Of course this only applies to maps that are at or above your level. I play around 6+ stars, so I can easily FC a 5 star even after a break.
Disillusionz
It's a week dude, not half a year. You'll be fine.
7ambda

SirOxorsid wrote:

It's a week dude, not half a year. You'll be fine.
half a year is good motivation too
kai99
imo it takes a little longer to warm up but taking time off this game only taught me that aim gets better if you rest. that was my experience, at least.
Akanagi
Why are you even worrying about it? Your vacation seems to be set so just go ahead and enjoy instead of worrying / hoping what your skillset will be like when you come back. (Even if it isn't, vacation > osu any day)
It's just a week, dude. Go and enjoy yourself.
Ryoid
Take a break one day: can't do 5 star and need 3 hour of warm up to regain my skill
Take a break one week: can"t do 4 star and need 12 hour warm up so i can play normaly as i do
KupcaH

Ryoid wrote:

Take a break one day: can't do 5 star and need 3 hour of warm up to regain my skill
Take a break one week: can"t do 4 star and need 12 hour warm up so i can play normaly as i do
You cannot play 4 star either way.
Ryoid

KupcaH wrote:

Ryoid wrote:

i can pass it,but never FC it
StephOsu
I constantly take week long break from time to time just to reset my state of mind which allows my brain to clean off the memory and move all the gained skill into the muscle memory instead
It also helps me with clearing mind blocks
Month long break might be another issue though
Took a 4 month break since this January, came back being extremely confused on my skill set (somehow got slightly better reading skill, speed and finger control while losing aim, stamina and consistency). Took me a few days to get back my stamina and aim and never bothered with consistency since i was never consistent anyways. but I got from 4.5k pp to 5k pp within like 10 weeks after I came back from my hiatus (yes it's slow but it's way better than how I was stucked in 4.5k pp for almost 2 months before hiatus)
Disillusionz

Ryoid wrote:

KupcaH wrote:

Ryoid wrote:

i can pass it,but never FC it

Your acc and top plays are killing me, you should not be even touching 4*
Deva
It really depends on your skill level.
In my case I had a few months break and it had next to no impact on me whatsoever except for streaming/stamina
Ryoid

SirOxorsid wrote:

thats my way of enjoying the game :D
Don't worry cause i don't give a shit about pp or rank anyway
Soon or late i will create a tread just how bad i was XD
StephOsu

Ryoid wrote:

SirOxorsid wrote:

please do it right now actually i need something i can shitpost on
N0thingSpecial
Tbh I would take a break from life, too bad death is permanent.
kai99
gnr is dead and im not even kidding anymore, this is some bad era and a nightmare
StephOsu

kai99 wrote:

gnr is dead and im not even kidding anymore, this is some bad era and a nightmare
was gnr even alive since 7 years ago?
kai99

StephOsu wrote:

kai99 wrote:

was gnr even alive since 7 years ago?
it's been significantly worse nowadays or maybe i just didnt realize how severe the problem was before
StephOsu
why not both
Disillusionz

Ryoid wrote:

SirOxorsid wrote:

You know what, I can respect that. Thanks for not taking it the wrong way. It's just that you mentioned you had to do like 12 hour warmups when you take a break for a while... I just wanted to make sure other people realize that's not normal, and that it just means you're playing above your skill level.
show more