forum

Mouse user getting stuck to mousepad

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Therid
So I play osu! quite a lot (even though I am not that good) and lately I've encountered a problem. Whenever I have to do big jumps, I find that my movement is restricted by the fact that I have become stuck to my mousepad. This kinda keeps me from improving and feels really annoying. Does anyone have a solution or any tips for how to fix this?

To specify, I rest most of my lower arm on my mousepad, and make precise movements using my wrist/fingers.
Endaris
Increase your sensitivity or lower your osu!resolution or change the way how you aim with your mouse.
Wishes
Try using a lower mouse sensitivity and lifting your entire hand+arm off the mousepad, so you are using more arm movements instead of only wrist movements. Using part of the arm on the desk as a pivot for your wrist to move is not ideal anyway, as the friction from different parts of your arm can be inconsistent and when you try to move your arm it drags and is a pain to deal with.
N0thingSpecial
I have an unstable table so I pretty much mostly rely on wrist and forearm as pivot, first lower your sensitivity, and slowly increase your sensitivity to the point where you can just barely reach cross screen jumps with your forearm. Later on I increased my sensitivity a bit more to counter act mouse drift.

That's how I deal with being stuck I guess, but pick a setting that's comfortable
autoteleology
I think you need to get the gamer gunk off your gamer gear

bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

I think you need to get the gamer gunk off your gamer gear

quality
Topic Starter
Therid
First of all, thank you to all the people who have posted here! It's very much appreciated ^^

Secondly, after a lot of trying out different stuff, I determined that the problem was mouse drift, which made my arm being stuck to my mousepad a problem in the first place. I primarily use my wrist to move around, and my forearm to reposition when drift occurs. My sens. has been adjusted to counteract this problem, and it has gotten a tad better.

That is all, and have a good day

-Therid
Nattsun

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I have an unstable table so I pretty much mostly rely on wrist and forearm as pivot, first lower your sensitivity, and slowly increase your sensitivity to the point where you can just barely reach cross screen jumps with your forearm. Later on I increased my sensitivity a bit more to counter act mouse drift.

That's how I deal with being stuck I guess, but pick a setting that's comfortable
You could've tell me that earlier lul. I almost sold my soul to Huion because of the mouse drifting :V

I found a really comfortable DPI now, though.
dung eater
Learning to handle drift with lower sens helps.
N0thingSpecial

Nattsun wrote:

You could've tell me that earlier lul. I almost sold my soul to Huion because of the mouse drifting :V
You should.
-Flux
It maybe that someone putted glue on your mouse! (JK)
Just try a sensitivity that is comfortable to you. Testing to your taste is good.
Nattsun

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Nattsun wrote:

You should.
It's too late. My Logitech G stole my heart AND soul...
Roricon
Could also be that the mouse feet are damaged. Just replaced my mouse today because it was constantly getting stuck by a new razer deathadder(same mouse) and the difference in friction is insane. Probably because I played osu for 4 years with my old one and the mousefeet at the top are non-existent now. So you might check if these are still in okay state on your mouse.
bigfeh
hey i play high sens and I don't have drift unless i'm playing shit way over my skill, in which case I'm being retarded anyway and deserve to get shit on by the universe

once i learned how to hold a mouse that was the end of the story. do the same and you'll be a slightly less miserable person
autoteleology
I don't even know what mouse drift is because I bought a mouse that isn't a piece of crap and I know how to configure my mouse to have zero acceleration ("enhance pointer precision" isn't the only step). It also helps that my mousepad is the size of my entire table.
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

I don't even know what mouse drift is because I bought a mouse that isn't a piece of crap and I know how to configure my mouse to have zero acceleration ("enhance pointer precision" isn't the only step). It also helps that my mousepad is the size of my entire table.
I run one of those infamous adns9500s and even I don't have any problems
silmarilen

Philosofikal wrote:

You could have a perfect mouse without a single flaw and it would still happen. Mouse drift happens because your arm/mouse is not always in the same position when you make the same movement.
An exaggerated example would be if you turn your mouse 90 degrees and move it towards you, your cursor does not make the same movement as when you didn't turn it 90 degrees.
Nattsun

Philosofikal wrote:

Funny enough that I use a mouse with one of the best sensors on the market without build in acceleration and angle snapping :V

On top of that, every mouse drifts, it's in the mice nature. If you use your aim arm to aim and your mouse always faces to the same direction the drift is minimal, same goes for high dpi (~1500dpi+). Saying that mice don't drift is just hypocrisy especially if you have no idea how they work...

Quoting some guy who explains how to drift your mouse away. It's is exaggerated in this example but that's literally what happens when you play osu!:
"Position your mouse cursor at the right edge of the screen whlie positioning your physical mouse towards the bottom edge of your mousepad.
Take note of both your mouse and cursor positions.
Without moving your mouse cursor, twist your mouse 90 degrees clockwise.
Use both hands to push the mouse about an inch towards the top of your mouse pad.
Twist your mouse 180 degrees counter-clockwise.
Use both hands to pull your mouse back to its original position.
Twist your mouse 90 degrees clockwise.

Congratulations, you've drifted your mouse cursor away."
KupcaH

Philosofikal wrote:

I think I know why.
N0thingSpecial

Philosofikal wrote:

Yes I agree that if you have a good gaming mouse you shouldn't experience any mouse drift, playing maps that are less than 1 minute and 30 seconds long has nothing to do with it
autoteleology

KupcaH wrote:

I think I know why.
Dank cropping to leave out all the info inconvenient to the narrative you're pushing. Also I found almost all of those maps by trying to understand the OP of this thread's issue by looking at his profile.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Yes I agree that if you have a good gaming mouse you shouldn't experience any mouse drift, playing maps that are less than 1 minute and 30 seconds long has nothing to do with it
Considering all your top plays are just as long as mine, what's your major malfunction? Do you have a wrist like a rubber chicken neck? Get a bigger mousepad (the actual source of my lack of understanding of mouse drift), and maybe a different kind of pad while you're at it.
N0thingSpecial

Philosofikal wrote:

Considering all your top plays are just as long as mine, what's your major malfunction?
As for my malfunction is my aim hand is now crooked. Mouse drift will always exist unless you can move your mouse pixel perfect on both x y axis without rotating your mouse, and it's more apparent on long maps, hence my sarcasm.
FlipSide82

Therid wrote:

So I play osu! quite a lot (even though I am not that good) and lately I've encountered a problem. Whenever I have to do big jumps, I find that my movement is restricted by the fact that I have become stuck to my mousepad. This kinda keeps me from improving and feels really annoying. Does anyone have a solution or any tips for how to fix this?

To specify, I rest most of my lower arm on my mousepad, and make precise movements using my wrist/fingers.
check whats on the bottom of your mouse either the rubber making it stop you from big jumps
clickhead
Yeah quality of the mouse has nothing to do with the type of mouse drift that osu players experience, and obviously longer beatmaps cause more mouse drift because your mouse drift happens over time, so the longer you play without adjusting your mouse the longer the drift distance will be.

Also some mouses have high friction with specific mousepads, make sure that for whatever mouse + mousepad combo you are using, there is enough friction to provide good snapping but not so much that it slows you down significantly.
FlipSide82
check what is under the mouse maybe something stopping it like the rubber?? cuz it sticks to it