forum

What is your clicking playstyle, and why?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
autoteleology
Clicking playstyle in this context is defined as:

1. What do you use to input hits (keyboard, mouse, tablet pen, touchscreen, llama),
2. What is your style (single tap, alternate, click + singletap, click + alternate)
3. What fingers do you use, and
4. Where do you put them, if you use a keyboard?

I use a keyboard with Cherry Red switches. I'd like to move to black switches because I feel as though they would give me more tactile feedback in my fingers, reds seem too light and the actuation feels imprecise and sloppy because there is no resistance to my fingers. I also put o-rings under the keys I use to shorten the switch travel to the point of actuation, to reduce unnecessary travel (and therefore wasted energy and recovery time, and clarify the actuation point by matching the physical sensation of bottoming out to the point of actuation). I put a hard o-ring on bottom and a soft o-ring on top, to give firmness so the key isn't mushy while providing some springiness to aid recovery.

I alternate with my index as dominant/leading finger (but not always, it can vary on the map and my fatigue level, triples seem very easy to do "backwards" for me for some reason) and my ring finger as my following finger (I find that it gives me more stamina and avoids finger locks/"tripping" as opposed to index/middle)

I put my fingers on the left Ctrl and Alt keys on my board because the keys are larger than normal keys and don't have any keys to accidentally press on the outer edges (nothing being left of Ctrl, and the spacebar being right of Alt) and the spacing with the Windows key makes it very comfortable considering my finger choice.
gamestonk
1. Keyboard
2. Single tap except for triples / high bpm doubles (high to me anyway) and streams
3. Middle with index. Middle is my lead finger.
4. Middle is on 3 and index is on 4. Rest of hand placement is irrelevant. I might switch this soon because I swear my 3 key feels strange.

I use red switches, no o rings although I do want to look into them.

I do triples with index first, but that's entirely subconscious, didn't realize it until I read your post.

Essentially if there is a generic osu player I'm him
Roricon
1. keyboard (cherry mx blacks)
2. singletap
3. index for singletapping
4. fingers on z and x and i rest my wrist on my table and press my thumb against my kb
Rynnavinx
1. Keyboard with razer greens. I'd like to switch to a keyboard with cherry/gatreon browns or reds, but i don't have the money for that rn.

2. Only single tapping unless im doing doubles, triples, or streams. I singletap low bpm doubles and triples though.

3. I use my index and middle fingers. My index finger is my dominant finger.

4. I use them on the keys z and c because z and x felt too close to each other for me. I know most people who play with keys that are spaced apart like that use index and ring (like OP), but I find index and middle more comfortable spaced apart for some reason. However, I play 4k osu!mania with my index and middle fingers on keys that are right next to each other ( I use the keys as;' ), so that's kinda weird. idk.
Zedek117
1. Razer DeathStalker
2. Single Tap and only alternate for doubles, triples, and streams
3. Ring and Middle finger, lead with ring.
4. A/S because Z/X makes my hand like a claw.
ulrichfaniOSU
1. I use Razer Deathstalker Chroma
2. I tend to favor alternative instead of single tapping but depending on the situation i can do singletapping aswell
3. index finger and middle finger (For obvious reasons)
4. Z and X
ManuelOsuPlayer
Clicking playstyle in this context is defined as:

1. What do you use to input hits (keyboard, mouse, tablet pen, touchscreen, llama),
2. What is your style (single tap, alternate, click + singletap, click + alternate)

1. Laptop keyboard playing online, external keyboard playing offline, phone screen for fun/strength control practice at streams.
2. Mostly singletap but depends on the song rhythm and map patterns. I do semi-alternate if i play maps far from my singletap speed. Or singletap and start alternating when my singletap speed can't hold all the pattern.
3. Middle finger as main finger to have more stamina. Index as second finger. Chosed middle because i find it better to play the maps what i like. Index probably better to anything else.
4. Key 1 and Key 2 laptop keyboard.(a lot keys broken) External keyboard Key / and Key *(shortest keys travel on the keyboard). The external keyboard watching the screen instead in front of me, more confortable.
N0thingSpecial
Keyboard cause it's good
I alternate or single tap depending on situation (if I'm tired, if it's low bpm, if it's for memes)
Single tap with middle finger cause thats comfortable for me
I put them on zx cause default setting
Disillusionz
1. Gateron clear switches keypad made by Thnikk. I can definitely recommend them. I also use the o-rings it comes with.
2. Single tap, only alternate on streams and triples (stream is anything more than a triple to me)
3. My middle finger and ring finger
4. middle finger on what would be considered X for you guys and ring finger on Z (I'm lefthanded and I use a keypad so it's a bit different).

Also cherry blacks are linear, not tactile. Coming from browns to gateron clears I really dont think tactile switches are optimal for osu but to each their own. If you think reds are too light though you'd absolutely hate gateron clears, they have like 10g less actuation force xD.
KupcaH

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Keyboard cause it's good
I alternate or single tap depending on situation (if I'm tired, if it's low bpm, if it's for memes)
Single tap with middle finger cause thats comfortable for me
I put them on zx cause default setting
bigfeh
1. I singletap m1 most of the time, triples are either k1/k2 or m1/m2 and streams are k1/k2
2. singletap is life
3. literally all of them
4. qw
Nattsun
1. Logitech G Pro Gaming mouse + cherry mx 3.0 red switches
Mouse is more fun than tablet. Period.

2.I alternate. I hate the feeling that I am capped by speed when there are so many great maps to play, for the same reason I can mash 240bpm bursts and burststream 220bpm.

3. W+E with middle and index finger.

4. They basically rest on the keyboard :V
Runiel
1. Laptop Keyboard.

2. For sliders and streams i alternate, and on jumps, i use single tap with index finger. But on high BPM maps and or high AR i use Alternate all the time.

3. I use middle finger and index finger, index finger for jumps and middle finger to support index finger in high bpm. At early days of me playing, instead of my index finger being the dominant one, it's middle finger, i switched because my index finger is more accurate. I use both finger at the same time if i'm feeling a bit extra memey for the day.

4. Q and W because it's most comfortable for me.
Fatal3ty
1. Corsair K70 RGB red switches
2. Singletapping except for triples / high bpm doubles (high to me anyway) and streams
3. index finger is main, middle finger is second
4. Numpad 2 for index and numpad 3. for middle finger (for me comfort as left handed player, tapping hand is rights)

I can not control with my middle finger, it is constantly blocked or cramped (mindblock/fingerlock), so I can not continue to play. At that time I could play better. Since then I have to pause again and again. :(
_Meep_
1. Logitech k120
2. Irregular tapping
3. I'm probably the weirdest one here, but Thumb is main, Pinky is second
4. C for Thumb, A for Pinky

i got a deformed left hand thats why XD somehow still able to climb ranks
KtkC
Mouse: left (MOUSE1) primarily, right (MOUSE2) used for streams or when the single tap required is too fast for me

single tap MOUSE1 unless it's too fast

Index (MOUSE1) and middle (MOUSE2)

N/A for standard

(on osu!mania i only play 7k with "zxc m,." on MX browns)
BrennyWaffle
1. just my computer keyboard I'm not to certain what kind it is :(
2. I single tap because I'm normal.
3. Index and middle fingers leading with index because I'm normal.
4.Never seen anyone else put them here but I put them on Q/W. Don't know why no one else uses
them cause their the most comfortable
KriPy
1. keyboard (Genius GK-050012/k)
2. Single-tap + alternating on streams (was full alt until few months ago)
3. Index and middle. I usually main the index but sometimes switch them when i feel like
4. Numbers 4 and 5
johnmedina999
  1. Keyboard
  2. Alternate
  3. Middle and Pointer
  4. D and F (G for smoke)
Arctos Sagittario
Year 1.5-2:
Laptop keyboard, z+x;
Single-alter (lit. single for single and alter for stream);
Index-dom, middle-sub.

This was when I first played this game. Thanks to the guy introducing me to this game, I pretty much copied exactly his playstyle.
I used this playstyle for around 1.5 to 2 years.

Year 2-4:
Laptop keyboard + CTL-471;
Full alter (lit. alter for everything) tapx;

This is when I read a thread introducing tapx by Skystar.
Since I just got a tablet shortly before, and I was still getting to know the changes on my right hand, I thought it could be a good chance to change my playstyle as well.
It turns out to be quite cool and very fun to play this way, and it's still my most played style till this day, even if I no longer play like this for a while.

Year 4-5:
Laptop keyboard;
Full alter;

Yes, I ditched tapx, and became a full alter player for roughly a year.
I have to keep the direct reason private, but there are some players that influenced me to make this decision too.
Some of the players include: doctorindark, rustbell, EmertxE, and many more.

Year 5-Current:
Laptop keyboard → Tentapad w/ Cherry Speed → ProXTouch,
Intuos Pro 5th Gen (model No. forgotten) → Intuos 4th Gen (thrown yesterday, going back to 5th Gen);
Single-alter tapx (well, xtap to be exact);
Left index-dom, tap-sub.

Again I need to keep the exact reason private, but this change is inspired solely by Dusk.
It's quite a while later before I heard that DO96CH uses this playstyle too.

Edit: Pre-K level grammar correction.