forum

Don't know if I should continue practicing tablet

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mille69
I'm new to the game and still not sure if I want to be a mouse or tablet player. I've played with mouse for 20 hrs and tablet for 8 hrs. I still play much better with mouse, however, on some songs I get insane mouse drift and I'll be struggling to keep the mouse on the pad midway through the song. Tablet doesn't have the drifting issue but my issue with tablet is that I seem to not have as much speed or precision as I do with mouse, probably because I'm much more accustomed to using a mouse than a pen due to playing lots of computer games growing up.
Sandy Hoey
Well, it doesnt really matter what you end up doing, but if you really want to get good at one or the other, it is better to play it exclusively. If mouse drift is a real problem for you, you might want to play tablet
Fxjlk

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Well, it doesnt really matter what you end up doing, but if you really want to get good at one or the other, it is better to play it exclusively. If mouse drift is a real problem for you, you might want to play tablet
I don't know if its any better to play one or the other exclusively, Angelsim recently switched to tablet and has scores of the same level even though he has invested way less time into it.
ManuelOsuPlayer

mille69 wrote:

I'm new to the game and still not sure if I want to be a mouse or tablet player. I've played with mouse for 20 hrs and tablet for 8 hrs. I still play much better with mouse, however, on some songs I get insane mouse drift and I'll be struggling to keep the mouse on the pad midway through the song. Tablet doesn't have the drifting issue but my issue with tablet is that I seem to not have as much speed or precision as I do with mouse, probably because I'm much more accustomed to using a mouse than a pen due to playing lots of computer games growing up.
If you already crying about mouse drift without 3 weeks playing...
Better go for tablet.
Roricon
You'll learn to deal with mousedrift eventually, just play with what you find the most comfortable.
N0thingSpecial
Tablet
KupcaH

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Tablet
dung eater
Tablet unless you want to use mouse.
Disillusionz
Tablet

8 hours isn't enough to learn to be comfortable with it IMO. Unless you have a really bad tablet and an amazing mouse...
Sandy Hoey

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I don't know if its any better to play one or the other exclusively, Angelsim recently switched to tablet and has scores of the same level even though he has invested way less time into it.
You are absolutely right, but Angelism is, to say the least, proficient on all of the other skills, so his choice of mouse vs tablet only affects his aim. For a beginner, choosing one will allow them to focus more on all of the other aspects of the game as well which they are still trying to learn. And practicing with one thing instead of two means you will get better at it faster
Topic Starter
mille69

SirOxorsid wrote:

Tablet

8 hours isn't enough to learn to be comfortable with it IMO. Unless you have a really bad tablet and an amazing mouse...
That is probably the case, I have a g900 mouse and a huion 420 tablet. I also have a ctl 490 tablet that I originally bought for drawing but I don't use it for osu because it seems like the hover distance is too short and it has more input lag than the huion 420. I don't know if the huion 420 tablet is good or not but I've noticed if I lightly scrape the tablet on the surface in the middle of hovering, it will do this glitchy stutter thing and mess me up, so to avoid that I'll hover higher, but when I hover higher I sometimes lose connection with the tablet and mess up even harder (The maximum hover distance feels really low on this tablet but I've only used 2 so I'm not sure if that's normal for tablets). I tried doing the tape trick with the ctl 490 (where you push down the nib in order to remove the input lag) but when I do this the cursor will start glitching out in the middle of playing. So both these tablets have annoying quirks for me but I've seen players who say they use these tablets and they seem to do well with them so I'm assuming the problem is with the way I'm using them.

tomden wrote:

You'll learn to deal with mousedrift eventually, just play with what you find the most comfortable.
I do feel way more comfortable with mouse at the moment, I just hate having the limitation of not being able to play certain songs due to there not being enough breaks to readjust my mouse. I've had that happen for a few songs already. I play on 450 dpi 1x.
Topic Starter
mille69
Thanks for the opinions everyone.
Roricon

mille69 wrote:

tomden wrote:

I do feel way more comfortable with mouse at the moment, I just hate having the limitation of not being able to play certain songs due to there not being enough breaks to readjust my mouse. I've had that happen for a few songs already. I play on 450 dpi 1x.
Hmm maybe try playing around with your dpi? I play on 800 and I don't have too much problems dealing with my mousedrift. I did play with tablet for about 3 months a few years ago but in the end went back to mouse since it's just way more comfortable for me.
ManuelOsuPlayer

tomden wrote:

Hmm maybe try playing around with your dpi? I play on 800 and I don't have too much problems dealing with my mousedrift. I did play with tablet for about 3 months a few years ago but in the end went back to mouse since it's just way more comfortable for me.
Osu 1.00 sensitivity and windows 6/11? Screen resolution?
I'm playing 800 dpi and the drift it's a big issue for me at long songs using that config. Can you tell me what mouse you're using and your mousepad?
Akanagi
Don't play what's effective right now, just play what's more comfortable, natural and fun to you. You'll get used to it.
Switching to tablet was the best decision I made. It just feels so much better to play on it as opposed to playing with mouse. For me atleast.

Getting used to a tablet and getting the proper grip / area however is a thing that took me months (still trying out new grips)
Nattsun

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Either this or you pick what is more fun to you.

My only issue with mouse is the drifting, but I stick to it because mouse aim makes me hard :^)))) (and it's more fun).

It really doesn't matter what you pick, you won't become the next Cookiezi anyway lul
Topic Starter
mille69
Ya, I went back to mouse. If I keep my arm off the table and keep it really straight it doesn't drift as much, it's just uncomfortable. But maybe I'll get used to it lol.

Tablet is just way too frustrating for me. Having to focus on keeping my pen at the exact same elevation throughout the whole song made it hard to focus on the playing. I would try to do a song without combo breaking for like an hour and keep messing up, then as soon as I switched back to mouse I'd get it first try. Some company needs to make a tablet with a really big hover distance for noobs like me!

But I'll probably play tablet for like 1/20th of the time so just in case I want to switch in the future I'll at least have a little bit of practice with it.
Anemic Witch

mille69 wrote:

Having to focus on keeping my pen at the exact same elevation throughout the whole song made it hard to focus on the playing.
Just drag instead of hovering.
Topic Starter
mille69

Master_chan wrote:

mille69 wrote:

Having to focus on keeping my pen at the exact same elevation throughout the whole song made it hard to focus on the playing.
Just drag instead of hovering.
I wanted to until I read that pen nibs and tablets wear out really quickly when drag. Replacing the pen nibs over and over just sounds like a pain to me.
NixXSkate
I'd get better at mouse before moving to tablet, it usually ends up better that way. Usually people who switch to tablet very fast end up having very disgusting sloppy aim. Notice how when Angelsim switched to tablet, his aim was almost immediately way cleaner than most of the top 50 tablet players that have been using tablet for way longer.
Wishes

mille69 wrote:

I wanted to until I read that pen nibs and tablets wear out really quickly when drag. Replacing the pen nibs over and over just sounds like a pain to me.
The nibs and tablet surface doesn't really wear out that fast. I play with dragging style on Huion 420 and have only had to replace 1 nib in 6 months.
Akanagi

mille69 wrote:

I'm probably the person that wears out nibs the fastest but I still only have to replace it like every month~ (playing quite a lot every day)
Doesn't really feel like a pain to me. It's a process that takes like half a minute and isn't bothersome at all as long as you keep nibs around.