forum

KDrew - Back to You

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LimePixel
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LwL
hi from my q

Insane
  1. 00:05:904 (1,1) - stack these, you've stacked 1/1 gaps later and as it's now the spacing makes no sense since it's the same as all the 1/2 notes in the intro.
  2. 00:39:359 (13,1) - Either make the spacing larger or stack them. Either way since there's a major change occuring in the song here, not having the slider go in the exact same direction as the flow before would probably make for better emphasis (personally I find jumps to slow sliders that continue in the same direction as the previous cursor movement to be slightly awkward anyway, you have that in a lot of places. Often times just continuing the flow direction in a circular way plays nicer).
  3. Aesthetics feel a bit sloppy in some places, for example 00:09:177 (1,2) - and 00:35:359 (1,2,1,2) - aren't lined up, 00:12:450 (4) - doesn't blanket properly, 00:45:540 (1,2,3) - isn't quite a perfect triangle, there are a bunch of unnecessary overlaps, all the little things like that come together to make it look messy overall.
  4. Spacing feels random in a lot of places, i.e. 00:43:904 (4,1) - , 00:44:631 (3,1) - are really low compared to the previous pattern for no real reason, and on top of that within the pattern have the same spacing as the weaker notes. At 00:50:450 (3,1) - I can understand it since the music changes, but spacing for 00:50:631 (1,2,3) - should also be changed to properly reflect the difference between the sound on 00:50:631 (1) - and the others. At 01:18:631 (2,3) - spacing for the 1/2 notes is suddenly larger than for large parts of the kiai. This occurs throughout almost the entire map.

Try to ask yourself for each note as you place it why exactly you place it where you place it. Most importantly why is it spaced like this, why does it flow like this, and after that why at this place and not 2 px further above (getting an arbitrary strucure going for this does a lot for aesthetics, mostly the answer is just "blanket", "stack", "equal visual spacing as something else", etc). As long as your view on the song remains the same that does most of consistency already.

I don't mean to be discouraging, I can see an overall idea and some things I quite like (00:41:177 (1,2,3,4) - is a neat slightly unusual pattern that fits very well imo), but it's heavily inconsistent not just over the entire map but also within individual kiais, and lacks proper emphasis in some patterns. I'm saying this so bluntly because I wish someone had told me earlier on my second map. Good Luck and plz continue to enjoy mapping :)
Topic Starter
LimePixel

LwL wrote:

hi from my q

Insane
  1. 00:05:904 (1,1) - stack these, you've stacked 1/1 gaps later and as it's now the spacing makes no sense since it's the same as all the 1/2 notes in the intro. good point
  2. 00:39:359 (13,1) - Either make the spacing larger or stack them. Either way since there's a major change occuring in the song here, not having the slider go in the exact same direction as the flow before would probably make for better emphasis (personally I find jumps to slow sliders that continue in the same direction as the previous cursor movement to be slightly awkward anyway, you have that in a lot of places. Often times just continuing the flow direction in a circular way plays nicer). I made the spacing larger, and I'll take into consideration what you said about emphasis.
  3. Aesthetics feel a bit sloppy in some places, for example 00:09:177 (1,2) - and 00:35:359 (1,2,1,2) - aren't lined up, 00:12:450 (4) - doesn't blanket properly, 00:45:540 (1,2,3) - isn't quite a perfect triangle, there are a bunch of unnecessary overlaps, all the little things like that come together to make it look messy overall. Yes, aesthetics are really difficult for me and I'll try to work a lot more on then.
  4. Spacing feels random in a lot of places, i.e. 00:43:904 (4,1) - , 00:44:631 (3,1) - are really low compared to the previous pattern for no real reason, and on top of that within the pattern have the same spacing as the weaker notes. At 00:50:450 (3,1) - I can understand it since the music changes, but spacing for 00:50:631 (1,2,3) - should also be changed to properly reflect the difference between the sound on 00:50:631 (1) - and the others. At 01:18:631 (2,3) - spacing for the 1/2 notes is suddenly larger than for large parts of the kiai. This occurs throughout almost the entire map. Will work on it,
    and update the map soon

Try to ask yourself for each note as you place it why exactly you place it where you place it. Most importantly why is it spaced like this, why does it flow like this, and after that why at this place and not 2 px further above (getting an arbitrary strucure going for this does a lot for aesthetics, mostly the answer is just "blanket", "stack", "equal visual spacing as something else", etc). As long as your view on the song remains the same that does most of consistency already.

I don't mean to be discouraging, I can see an overall idea and some things I quite like (00:41:177 (1,2,3,4) - is a neat slightly unusual pattern that fits very well imo), but it's heavily inconsistent not just over the entire map but also within individual kiais, and lacks proper emphasis in some patterns. I'm saying this so bluntly because I wish someone had told me earlier on my second map. Good Luck and plz continue to enjoy mapping :)
I prefer honest advice over sugarcoating. I'd rather know I'm wrong and fix it than continue for months trying to rank this. Thank you so much! :D
greeeeeeeeg
hey, m4m from my queue
[Insane]
SPOILER
  1. 00:46:268 (4) - this slider coulda be a stream to match the vibrato of the sound
  2. 00:38:268 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13) - 02:22:995 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15) - I wouldnt map a stream here, use repeating 1/4 sliders to better match the intensity of the map
  3. 01:09:722 - this is a distinct sound and you should map it
    01:09:904 - 01:10:086 - ^
  4. 01:35:177 (2) - ctrl g?
  5. 01:37:904 (1,1,2) - the sv is too high, make it lower
  6. 01:43:722 (1,2) - spacing too big, move slider closer to circle
  7. 01:48:450 (3,3) - this would feel better if you converted sliders into circles
  8. 01:59:904 (2,2) - move these a bit to the right
  9. 02:01:450 (4) - maybe use a regular 1/2 slider here
  10. 02:01:722 (5) - map this into a jump
  11. 02:14:450 - quite distinct sound here, consider mapping it
  12. 02:14:268 (1,2,1,2,1,1,2,3) - you use too small spacing for 1/1 rythm gaps
  13. also the sliders at the end can be more pretty
Topic Starter
LimePixel

8eight8eight wrote:

hey, m4m from my queue
[Insane]
SPOILER
  1. 00:46:268 (4) - this slider coulda be a stream to match the vibrato of the sound It's just one long sound. So I don't think that a stream is appropriate here
  2. 00:38:268 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13) - 02:22:995 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15) - I wouldnt map a stream here, use repeating 1/4 sliders to better match the intensity of the map Good point
  3. 01:09:722 - this is a distinct sound and you should map it
    01:09:904 - 01:10:086 - ^ I honestly don't know how to map this part. I tried something
  4. 01:35:177 (2) - ctrl g? Much better
  5. 01:37:904 (1,1,2) - the sv is too high, make it lower I'm trying to emphasize these 3 sounds, and lower SV multipliers aren't really much different
  6. 01:43:722 (1,2) - spacing too big, move slider closer to circle I did a bit
  7. 01:48:450 (3,3) - this would feel better if you converted sliders into circles Tried variations of this but don't see how it's better.
  8. 01:59:904 (2,2) - move these a bit to the right done
  9. 02:01:450 (4) - maybe use a regular 1/2 slider here Hopefully it's better
  10. 02:01:722 (5) - map this into a jump done
  11. 02:14:450 - quite distinct sound here, consider mapping it Yep, fixed
  12. 02:14:268 (1,2,1,2,1,1,2,3) - you use too small spacing for 1/1 rythm gaps It's still the buildup to the next kiai time.
  13. also the sliders at the end can be more pretty Will take that into consideration
Thank you :)
Rhonen
I know you declined my m4m, but I liked this map so much I decided to mod it anyways! :)

I'm not very experienced yet in the modding/mapping field, but I'll do my best. (Not gonna lie, this is actually my first mod... :? )

Levels of importance.
! = Important Issue. ! = Normal Issue ! = Minor issue. ! = Basically just nit-picking/idea, Relatively unimportant.

Insane

SPOILER
01:26:995 - ! The break here is rather out of place, as the intensity of the song does not warrant it. I would suggest mapping it.

01:37:904 (1,1,2) - ! The high SV and quick taps of this section contrast with the reduced intensity of the song, also the
beginning of the third slider not being on any noticeable sound. Consider the following adjustment: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8416292 (SV set to 1.25 to compensate increase in duration)
After replaying it about 10 times I hear the sound it's mapped too. but it's very difficult to hear/follow while playing (I was following the drum...). May want to change the first 2 sliders into circles at least.

01:38:086 (1) - ! Assuming this section remains unchanged; Remove NC.

00:47:904 (2,1) - ! The fact that these 2 circles do not overlap creates an inconsistency in the progression of the patterns. Try to find a way to make them overlap. (So that the pattern progresses similarly to how the first progresses into the second) If you cannot work it in well, consider making the progression of the first pattern into the second similar to how the second pattern progresses into the third now. (I make a big deal out of this because the map clearly emphasizes consistent pattern progression in these sections.)

00:54:995 (1) - ! I would consider increasing the spacing on this jump to emphasize the clap, and to help differentiate it from the previous jumps. (Doesn't have to be by much.)

01:09:722 (4,5,1) - ! This plays strangely, as the third beat is distinctly different from the previous 2. consider mapping the first 2 notes as a slider, and have the final note be a circle, as to differentiate them. Like so: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8416340 This could also be done with a double into a short jump. though not to the same effectiveness from what I tested.
I would also consider moving the NC 1 note forward.

00:43:722 (2,3,4) - ! Very very nit-picky of me, as the triples do have a sound to follow. But since it is a less important sound than the synth the previous jumps follow, I would consider playing around with 1/2 notes that follow it to see if anything works better. (Probably not, but you never know! :P )

That's all I saw personally, Hope my mod wasn't too bad. Best of luck moving forward! :)
Topic Starter
LimePixel

Rhonen wrote:

I know you declined my m4m, but I liked this map so much I decided to mod it anyways! :)

I'm not very experienced yet in the modding/mapping field, but I'll do my best. (Not gonna lie, this is actually my first mod... :? )

Levels of importance.
! = Important Issue. ! = Normal Issue ! = Minor issue. ! = Basically just nit-picking/idea, Relatively unimportant.

Insane

SPOILER
01:26:995 - ! The break here is rather out of place, as the intensity of the song does not warrant it. I would suggest mapping it. will do.

01:37:904 (1,1,2) - ! The high SV and quick taps of this section contrast with the reduced intensity of the song, also the
beginning of the third slider not being on any noticeable sound. Consider the following adjustment: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8416292 (SV set to 1.25 to compensate increase in duration)
After replaying it about 10 times I hear the sound it's mapped too. but it's very difficult to hear/follow while playing (I was following the drum...). May want to change the first 2 sliders into circles at least.
Changed SV to a 1.8x multiplier, but kept the objects as they are. If i get 1 more mod on this i'll change it.
Also, I can hear the sound at the start of #3 perfectly clearly.

01:38:086 (1) - ! Assuming this section remains unchanged; Remove NC. Yep, done

00:47:904 (2,1) - ! The fact that these 2 circles do not overlap creates an inconsistency in the progression of the patterns. Try to find a way to make them overlap. (So that the pattern progresses similarly to how the first progresses into the second) If you cannot work it in well, consider making the progression of the first pattern into the second similar to how the second pattern progresses into the third now. (I make a big deal out of this because the map clearly emphasizes consistent pattern progression in these sections.) Actually an extremely good point! Fixed

00:54:995 (1) - ! I would consider increasing the spacing on this jump to emphasize the clap, and to help differentiate it from the previous jumps. (Doesn't have to be by much.) Done

01:09:722 (4,5,1) - ! This plays strangely, as the third beat is distinctly different from the previous 2. consider mapping the first 2 notes as a slider, and have the final note be a circle, as to differentiate them. Like so: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8416340 This could also be done with a double into a short jump. though not to the same effectiveness from what I tested.
I would also consider moving the NC 1 note forward. Tried something but in all honesty i might make this section a break. Will see

00:43:722 (2,3,4) - ! Very very nit-picky of me, as the triples do have a sound to follow. But since it is a less important sound than the synth the previous jumps follow, I would consider playing around with 1/2 notes that follow it to see if anything works better. (Probably not, but you never know! :P ) Good suggestion, but I think the burst of 3 circles is better in this case. Might change it in the future though.

That's all I saw personally, Hope my mod wasn't too bad. Best of luck moving forward! :)
This is really good for your first mod! Very detailed and well explained. Good job!
And thanks for the mod.
Green = fixed, Blue = not sure and Red = unchanged
Technolight
can wait for this to be ranked!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.