[Crz]Player
Bad games never fix their bad ^^
jiruo
I see what you mean :o
johnmedina999
What else is new?
Or better yet, what isn't new?
Full Tablet
Fitting the distribution of judgments and their respective timing windows to a centered normal distribution (each hit note is considered as "hitting anywhere inside the timing window of the judgment obtained", and each miss is considered as "hitting anywhere outside the timing window of all the judgments", and then performing a maximum likelihood estimation based on that), the first play is slightly worse than the second play (34.0ms standard deviation vs 32.4ms, assuming the maps is OD5.5, the OD most commonly used in stepmania converts). If the 2nd play had 9 less Rainbows and 9 more misses, then it would be considered worse than the first play by this method.

While I do agree that the 2nd play should be valued higher than the 1st play, this case in particular doesn't highlight the problem as much as it could. Worse cases would be when a play has strictly better distribution of judgments than other; for example, MAX/300/200/100/50/MISS of 600/200/5/0/0/0 vs 600/197/8/0/0/0, but the 2nd play is scored higher because the 200s were more spread out compared to the first play.
Yyorshire
EtienneXC

Yyorshire wrote:

What the fuck

How does that even work
Veracion
it doesn't
that's what this thread is about
Full Tablet

EtienneXC wrote:

Yyorshire wrote:

What the fuck

How does that even work
It is possible to get a relatively high score with low accuracy if the play is good for the most part, but there are several misses or bad judgments near the end of the map (or a few clusters of misses and bad judgments in different parts of the map, in the case of a map with several thousands of notes).
Yuudachi-kun
Score in osu mania is worthless. Don't pay attention to it.

Your acc and judgments are enough.
[Crz]Noire
lol..
abraker
acc = score

the other thing is a lie
Full Tablet

abraker wrote:

acc = score

the other thing is a lie
The acc% formula is not very good for measuring accuracy.

If still using a linear formula (for simplicity), then just the base values of the judgments should be changed.

Instead of them being:
300/300/200/100/050/000
They should be around:
300/296/262/212/175/000 (or, equivalently, 304/300/265/215/177/0)
Which correspond to the parameters of the linear Minimax approximation of a formula that fits a normal curve to the judgment distribution (for OD8.5, the values vary with OD), giving at most 5.1% error between the formulas (in the case when the linear approximation gives a value 41.93% accuracy with a judgment distribution of only Rainbows and Misses)

The values could then be scaled by an arbitrary monotonic function so the range of usual values is bigger (like scorev2 scales the acc% value in the acc portion of the score).
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

acc = score
This would be the correct way to go about things, but apparently we need to factor in combo somewhere because STD does it too. Also consistency something something blah blah blah. Nothing should be a factor except accuracy.
abraker

Full Tablet wrote:

abraker wrote:

acc = score

the other thing is a lie
The acc% formula is not very good for measuring accuracy.

If still using a linear formula (for simplicity), then just the base values of the judgments should be changed.

Instead of them being:
300/300/200/100/050/000
They should be around:
300/296/262/212/175/000 (or, equivalently, 304/300/265/215/177/0)
Which correspond to the parameters of the linear Minimax approximation of a formula that fits a normal curve to the judgment distribution (for OD8.5, the values vary with OD), giving at most 5.1% error between the formulas (in the case when the linear approximation gives a value 41.93% accuracy with a judgment distribution of only Rainbows and Misses)

The values could then be scaled by an arbitrary monotonic function so the range of usual values is bigger (like scorev2 scales the acc% value in the acc portion of the score).
There shouldn't be discrete hit error scores to begin with. Let it be based on the normalized continuous Gaussian function with OD controlling the sigma. Wife scoring is on the right track.

johnmedina999 wrote:

This would be the correct way to go about things, but apparently we need to factor in combo somewhere because STD does it too. Also consistency something something blah blah blah. Nothing should be a factor except accuracy.
Fork the client. Establish acc as the recognized scoring method and adjust it to be something like I mentioned in this post. Screw combo.
Veracion
#screwCombo
VoidCreeper345
abraker

VoidCreeper345 wrote:

https://etternaonline.com/downloads
tbh
Before I even bother, have the following issues been fixed?
  • - All maps need to be loaded every single time you start the game
    - Some of the global setting are lost upon restart
    - Is there a good guide/tutorial to making a noteskin?
Dez_old_1

abraker wrote:

VoidCreeper345 wrote:

https://etternaonline.com/downloads
tbh
Before I even bother, have the following issues been fixed?
  • - All maps need to be loaded every single time you start the game
    - Some of the global setting are lost upon restart
    - Is there a good guide/tutorial to making a noteskin?
-All maps still need to be loaded
-I've never had my global settings lost
-There's probably a good guide somewhere but just go here tbh https://etternaonline.com/noteskins

Honestly even despite these "issues" it's still worth playing for rates & the difficulty calculator.
abraker

Dez wrote:

man this is so annoying

Dez wrote:

-There's probably a good guide somewhere but just go here tbh https://etternaonline.com/noteskins
While the bar noteskin provided there is nice, I'd really like to know how to customize it to my own. I am used to what I have in osu!.

I went back to try etterna once again. I'll wait until the menus and settings are more user friendly. As of right now, I can't figure out shit because it's all over the place. For example, I spent half hour searching for music volume control and never found it, it took me forever to figure out why I suddenly had beat assist on (one of the F6 keys or whatever), and so on.

Would also be nice if I knew how to make notes disappear when they are hit because they just pass through the judgement even when hit for whatever reason.

I'm sure I have more complaints, but I'll leave it at that
Noderum

abraker wrote:

Dez wrote:

man this is so annoying
Won't really defend it by too much as it sucks a lot but it's not the end of the world and it leaves time for some stretches.

abraker wrote:

Dez wrote:

While the bar noteskin provided there is nice, I'd really like to know how to customize it to my own. I am used to what I have in osu!.
It's really not that hard, just take a given noteskin and edit the images with the texture that you most desire. Otherwise I'm sure it's not too hard to figure out how to edit it thoroughly if you're knowledgeable in programming but for me I just changed the images. And there are people who would happily do a noteskin for you like Jousway.

abraker wrote:

I went back to try etterna once again. I'll wait until the menus and settings are more user friendly. As of right now, I can't figure out shit because it's all over the place. For example, I spent half hour searching for music volume control and never found it, it took me forever to figure out why I suddenly had beat assist on (one of the F6 keys or whatever), and so on.
Like yea I agree it's clunky and the f-keys are really annoying but like honestly, you spent 30 min searching for the sound option?

Even if you were blind in how to read things that are in front of you, if you searched for it systematically from top to bottom and going into each section it would max only take 5 min to find where the sound option are. Honestly I doubt you'll seriously consider switching as you have no intention of putting any time trying to figure out anything for yourself. Like even if they fix the options to be the most intuitive thing on the planet I doubt you would spend time figuring out how to play the game which is really the essence of the issue, that transitioning won't happened automatically. It's a time consuming process but if one consider it worth doing then it really won't be too much of an issue and would max take 3-7 days to do so.

abraker wrote:

Would also be nice if I knew how to make notes disappear when they are hit because they just pass through the judgement even when hit for whatever reason.
I recall Mina looking into it and implementing this feature some while ago, not entirely sure as I don't pay too much attention to it in game but I think that the note do disappear now.
abraker

Noderum wrote:

Like yea I agree it's clunky and the f-keys are really annoying but like honestly, you spent 30 min searching for the sound option?
No, no. Go into that menu. Where are the controls for song volume?

Let's see

Nope don't see it here. Let's scroll down

Oh I see sound volume. That works to get the clicking sound lower so it doesn't blast my eardrums. However it doesn't apply for music. Let's keep scrolling.

Oh looks like we hit the end

Noderum wrote:

Honestly I doubt you'll seriously consider switching as you have no intention of putting any time trying to figure out anything for yourself. Like even if they fix the options to be the most intuitive thing on the planet I doubt you would spend time figuring out how to play the game which is really the essence of the issue, that transitioning won't happened automatically.
Despite osu! having horrible scoring, not the best maps, game mechanics that can have improvement, and temporarily halted progress, its online features and community is the main reason I still remain here. I would have quit a year and half in if it wasn't for those, and I probably lost half of my drive to play this game by now. Things like setting goals and players declaring challenges or making requests make me go on because they keep me interested.