forum

[Proposal] Spread ruleset draft

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pishifat
hi

As part of the Ranking Criteria's reconstruction, the United Beat-Knights of Ranking Criteria have been discussing subsections (such as timing, metadata, skinning, etc.) with the experts of each field. I'm here to announce what kind of rules and guidelines we agreed upon for the Spread (labeled as Mapset on the current RC) subsection in this draft. Notice this is not the final result, as we need the feedback of the community first before getting it officially bumped into the wiki!

Frequently Asked Questions

(read this in all cases before posting)
  1. Is it necessary to read the entire draft before commenting or asking questions?
    -> Yes, else you may complain about/mention things that are not related to this draft or are actually already present here.
  2. Is this the entire new Ranking Criteria? I feel like this is missing a lot of things...
    -> This is not the entire Ranking Criteria. This draft aims to be the rules and guidelines that end up under the Mapset header.

Before posting, please think through if what you want to add belongs in any game-mode specific drafts of the Ranking Criteria or should be part of another subsection of the general Ranking Criteria. Thanks!

The proposal starts with the glossary.

Glossary

Common terms

Mapset
  1. Drain time: The time during which the health-bar drains. Excludes break periods. Taiko mode’s drain time includes sliders and the intended length of spinners.
  2. Reasonable Spread: A mapset without drastically large differences between difficulties as dictated by difficulty-specific rules and guidelines.
  3. Game-mode: osu!, osu!taiko, osu!catch, and each of osu!mania’s key counts are considered individual game-modes.
  4. Single-mode mapset: A mapset which contains difficulties of only one game-mode.
  5. Hybrid mapset: A mapset which contains difficulties of multiple game-modes.
  6. Marathon: A mapset which does not require a full spread of difficulties.
  7. Mapset host: A user who uploads and manages a mapset.
  8. Guest difficulty: A difficulty added to a mapset which is not created by a mapset host.
  9. Collaborative difficulty: A single difficulty mapped by more than one mapper.

Spread

Rules

All rules are exactly that: RULES. They are NOT guidelines and may NOT be broken under ANY circumstance.

1. Single-mode mapsets must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Normal and it must comply with its respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.
  2. Hybrid mapsets without osu!standard difficulties must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties per mode. The lowest difficulty of each mode cannot be harder than a Normal and it must comply with its respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.
  3. If a hybrid mapset includes osu!standard difficulties...
    1. A reasonable spread of at least two osu!standard difficulties must be included. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Normal and it must comply with its respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.
    2. Converted difficulties must form a reasonable spread. For example, a mapset with Easy and Normal osu!standard difficulties and an Insane osu!catch difficulty is not permitted. One or more additional difficulties may need to be added to fill the gap.
    3. Any two or more osu!taiko or osu!mania difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Hard.
    4. One or more osu!catch difficulties may be included. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than an Insane.
  4. Mapsets must have a minimum drain time of 30 seconds. This ensures each ranked map has a practical play-time.
  5. Marathons must have a minimum drain time of 5 minutes. This excludes especially long mapsets from requiring a spread of difficulties.
  6. Excluding a mapset’s hardest difficulty, a difficulty’s name must accurately indicate its level of difficulty. Conventional difficulty names vary between modes, but any set of clearly progressive difficulty names can be alternatively used. Additionally, a mapset’s hardest difficulty should not use a name misrepresentative of its difficulty.
  7. A difficulty’s name must be unrelated to a username. Guest difficulties, however, may indicate possession with its mappers’ username or nickname. (e.g. Guest Mapper’s Insane). Words that happen to be usernames are acceptable within difficulty names as long as they relate to the song.
  8. Additionally, a mapset host cannot indicate possession in a difficulty’s name. (e.g. Mapset Host’s Insane). Metadata conflicts caused by mapping a song multiple times are the only exception.
  9. A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due.
  10. A mapset host and guest mappers can make changes to their respective difficulties as they wish. If there is a disagreement between both, the mapset host must delete the guest contribution upon request. If a guest mapper cannot be contacted for a month, they will be assumed to agree with any changes.

Guidelines

Guidelines may be violated under exceptional circumstances. These exceptional circumstances must be warranted by an exhaustive explanation as of why the guideline has been violated and why not violating it will interfere with the overall quality of the creation.

1. Avoid incomprehensible username combinations to indicate possession of a collaborative guest difficulty. If it’s unclear whose usernames are combined, simplification is recommended.
  2. Avoid difficulty names with descriptive elements not clearly related to a guest difficulty mapper or a level of difficulty. (e.g. Mapper’s Tragic Love Extra)
  3. Usernames indicating possession of a guest difficulty should be consistent between multiple mapsets. Varying nicknames for one user makes interpreting who created a difficulty ambiguous or misleading.
  4. Avoid unicode characters in a difficulty’s name. These can cause errors with the beatmap submission system and problems for certain users when appearing in chat.

Once again, this draft is not the final result, as we need the feedback of the community first before getting it officially bumped into the wiki! It will be up to discussion for two weeks and close on the 31st of August!
Topic Starter
pishifat

pishifat wrote:

The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which complies with their respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.
this refers to the new section proposed at the bottom of p/6054268 defining what is okay for a normal as a set's lowest difficulty. other modes will have a similar proposal if their diff-specific criteria doesn't already cover what's necessary

also, keep in mind that when this draft is amended, there will be 6 months of transition time for mappers to adapt to the changes
I Must Decrease
Also, please, while we are working to change this stuff, can we address how arbitrary naming difficulties beyond "extra" is. Read my proposal here: p/5631273

TL:DR: Naming things "Extra", "Extreme", "Expert" is extreme arbitrary and does not quantify a real difference between difficulty as these terms are not objectively defined. These difficulties above "Extra" should be allowed free naming so long as its relevant towards the source.
defiance
rip large sets, tho i guess bns really hate checking them
HappyRocket88
Will it be fine to have a Normal difficulty which is above 2 stars now? As they're no star limits for the lowest difficulty, what would be the requirements to be accepted as a Normal and not labeled as an Advanced?

Is it possible to rank a map with a diff of 11 stars now? Just as it was aimed for be played as tag 4?
Shiguma
What happens if your song is less than 30 seconds of drain time? By these new rules you wouldn't be able to extend it would you?
Yuii-

pishifat wrote:

Avoid unicode characters in a difficulty’s name. These can cause errors with the beatmap submission system and problems for certain users when appearing in chat.[/list]
If this is really that problematic, make it a rule. It makes little sense to have it as a guideline when it actually can "break the game" for specific people and/or when submitting a mapset.
Kilabarus
I remember that Loctav was trying to do smth like this, but...

inb4 new pishi's video theme
I Must Decrease
"One osu!catch difficulty may be included. It must be at least an Insane difficulty."

change it to "The lowest difficulty"
Noffy

pishifat wrote:

1. Any two osu!taiko or osu!mania difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Hard.
  2. One osu!catch difficulty may be included. It must be at least an Insane difficulty.

The phrasing for both of these is potentially confusing. At least a hard? Does that mean it has to be at least as easy as a hard or as difficult as a hard? Is it allowed to be easier or harder? I can't tell.
Same goes for the osu!catch rule, except with insane.
Topic Starter
pishifat

HappyRocket88 wrote:

Will it be fine to have a Normal difficulty which is above 2 stars now? As they're no star limits for the lowest difficulty, what would be the requirements to be accepted as a Normal and not labeled as an Advanced?
p/6054268 the bottom of this thread covers that. star limit will no longer be a thing to worry about, so long as it fits within other boundaries

HappyRocket88 wrote:

Is it possible to rank a map with a diff of 11 stars now? Just as it was aimed for be played as tag 4?
tag 4 is so irrelevant now that we thought it wouldnt even be necessary to mention. they already break half the rules/guidelines on the standard-specific ranking criteria lol

Noffy wrote:

The phrasing for both of these is potentially confusing.
yeah, we'll probably go with xexxar's wording there, since it is much clearer + clarifying the difficulty levelthing
celerih

pishifat wrote:

Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game-mode. The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped.
While I understand that this rule was put into place to avoid huge pointless spreads, I don't think this is a good idea. There are plenty of large sets where every difficulty is able to bring something new and show off it's own creative way to interpret a song. Part of something great about mapping is how differently same songs can be approached, and there are sets that are able to pull it off amazingly.

1. Camellia - crystallized
  2. Kana Nishino - Sweet Dreams (11t dnb mix)
  3. Lite Show Magic (t+pazolite vs C-Show) - Crack Traxxxx
  4. M2U & NICODE feat. Guriri & Lucy - Myosotis
  5. GRANRODEO - Can Do (TV Size)
I'm not very good with wordings for this type of thing, but a change allowing large mapsets with difficulties having clear and distinct characteristics between them to get ranked, instead of samey insanes and extras, would be a good change to the proposed ranking criteria.

In addition,

pishifat wrote:

Songs/maps cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time. Abusing the 5 minute limitation removes its intended purpose. Types of abuse include:
  1. Lowering a song’s BPM
  2. Looping portions of a song
  3. Adding sounds before/after a song begins/ends
  4. Extending spinners/sliders over inaudible sounds
  5. Manually removing breaks
What does this mean for songs compilation? Are those still allowed?
unko
not this difficulty limiting crap again
Arrival

pishifat wrote:

Single-mode mapsets must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which complies with their respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.
So this suggest that the previous star rating limit at 2 is removed to something more lenient as long as it fits a Normal-level density right ?
Fubukicat
hi, uh here is something I guess ( focusing on the mania aspect of them, cause i have no clue how the others work tbh)

Songs/maps cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time. Abusing the 5 minute limitation removes its intended purpose. Types of abuse include:

Lowering a song’s BPM
Looping portions of a song
Adding sounds before/after a song begins/ends
Extending spinners/sliders over inaudible sounds
Manually removing breaks

I personally think that might be a problem if the song time is 5 min but drain time appears to be 4:59 ,
as in that one second of drain time that trolls you and makes you rethink your existence because the song is actually 5 min it's sad : (
with the things above you can do nothing about it and just potentially lead to either make a full spread or give up the song entirely
less likely the first option tho :ç

Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game-mode. The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped.

As for this one,
let's say we do use the same key but map two spread in two really different style that both has 5 diffs each , well we cant
it happend before on a mapset wich had the good idea to make two different spread for two really different playstyle, and eventho we could make two maps for that
I just find it really questionable, as it's the same person and it's their idea so why not , just there is no real reason 'in that specific case' ,it's not like seeing 42 extras or something
UndeadCapulet
exciting new news

will make a big post soon
AruOtta

pishifat wrote:

1. Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game-mode. The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped.
I don't really see why this is a rule, the only benefit would be that there is less modding to do for the map.

For exemple, I wanted to make a set that started from Easy and ended with a 8,5* diff (in standard), and having low gaps of difficulty between 2 diffs (because it would be more enjoyable for players). But, if it's a rule, there's no way to change that (except going for love) and I don't understand why.

Maybe there should be a rule (or maybe a guideline) about having too much difficulties with quite the same star rating, but not if it's a reasonable spread.
I hope I was clear enough
Strategas

pishifat wrote:

"levels of difficulty" refers to normal/hard/insane/expert or just normal/hard/insane? question is - are normal->hard->insane->ultra spreads gonna be allowed since ultra is still an X icon
Natsu
Songs/maps cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time.

mm what about things like adding a copy of the chorus?

Hey seemss you guys never listen to the community tbh, limiting the number of diffs just do more bad than good and you already know how much the community disagree with this.

On the other side, having a spread 2,0 normal 3,2, hard 4,5 Insane 5,3 Extra and 8 stars ultra, just ruin the spreads lol, I don't think is a good change in any way, rip 6 stars extras

Just remember the last time that this got proposed: p/4892052

Avoid incomprehensible username combinations to indicate possession of a collaborative guest difficulty

things Like Pantsu aren't allowed anymore? (pan and natsu)
Nivrad00
I agree with everyone about the 8-diff limit, especially in cases of mania sets with multiple keymodes. If you include two keymodes, the greatest amount of diffs per keymode is 4; and if you include four keymodes, the greatest amount of diffs per keymode is 2. Whether it's reasonable to have over 8 standard diffs or over 8 4k diffs can be debated, but I definitely think this rule should at least be edited to allow more diffs in the case of multiple keymodes.
Nao Tomori
Songs cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time.
I don't see the point of this. Nobody is going to want to map full spreads for 4:40 songs, and this will not have that effect. Instead you'll just get a bunch of people who won't try and rank their songs they like, since finding mods / BNs for such a big drain time is near impossible for non-BN/QAT/famous mapper type people.
Additionally, this is practically unenforceable, you can just do something like add in some random hi-hat track at the end and call it your remix and upload it anyway.

edit: this is also worded in a way that means that you can't make songs compilations. is this intended?
Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game mode.
I don't see the purpose of this rule. It's just making people split their map spreads up, which as we can tell by the enormous popularity of sets like Zen Zen Zense, No title, and Hitorigoto, is pretty dumb. Again, this rule just seems like it's opposing more maps being ranked for no reason, since splitting sets up = more diffs/mods/BN checks etc = harder to rank things.
The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped.
What you end up with here is that someone will map their 8 star super hard diff that nobody can play, a 2.2 star normal, a 3.5 star hard and then a 4.5 star insane. Which leaves nothing for all the people in between, which is completely opposite to what spread rules are supposed to do in the first place.
Loctav

Nivrad00 wrote:

I agree with everyone about the 8-diff limit, especially in cases of mania sets with multiple keymodes. If you include two keymodes, the greatest amount of diffs per keymode is 4; and if you include four keymodes, the greatest amount of diffs per keymode is 2. Whether it's reasonable to have over 8 standard diffs or over 8 4k diffs can be debated, but I definitely think this rule should at least be edited to allow more diffs in the case of multiple keymodes.
Game-mode: osu!, osu!taiko, osu!catch, and each of osu!mania’s key counts are considered individual game-modes.
???????
Nivrad00
My bad, I didn't read the definition of game-mode
Seni
no change to the retarded 5 min rule. no change to people cutting full songs to be 1-2 min long which is just about the most disgusting thing you can possibly do with a song

nice draft
anna apple
thoughts

pishifat wrote:

Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game-mode. The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped. how will this make maps more accessible to people? I think it won't. Some spreads can't get really hard and there are lots of difficulty techniques to grow between few amount of difficulties. This cap makes spreads like these be much harder to accomplish properly AND I think nobody will care to try to accomplish them since highest diff is not required to fit within a spread.
A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due. Drain times for collaborative difficulties must be listed in the creator’s words for via storyboarding. what part of mapping is hitsounding? this should be defined if its considered or not and how much its considered to avoid confusion.
Avoid incomprehensible username combinations to indicate possession of a collaborative guest difficulty. If it’s unclear whose usernames are combined, simplification is recommended. this is really ambiguous
Usernames indicating possession of a guest difficulty should be consistent between multiple mapsets. Varying nicknames for one user makes interpreting who created a difficulty confusing. I know this is a guideline because of name changes, but in this event there are usually links in the description to the creators profile in case of ambiguity, and usually anyone who really cares checks there. Though does this mean if the gd is NOT indicated in the diff name it will be a problem also?
Hydria

pishifat wrote:

hi hey I'm here to mod your draft to sort out clarifications as well as point out potential issues

Common terms

Mapset
  1. Game-mode: osu!, osu!taiko, osu!catch, and each of osu!mania’s key counts are considered individual game-modes. and the entire osu!mania community goes "what" as this is the first time in 5 years they've ever been referred to as individual game modes.

Spread

Rules

All rules are exactly that: RULES. They are NOT guidelines and may NOT be broken under ANY circumstance.

1. Single-mode mapsets must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which complies with their respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria. the use of the term "at least a Normal" can be quite confusing for new modders as it doesn't indicate a direction. Saying "The lowest difficulty must be a normal or easier" would be better clarification. This holds true for the below points as well.
  2. Hybrid mapsets without osu!standard difficulties must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties per mode. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which does not break any difficulty-specific guidelines. ^
    1. A reasonable spread of at least two osu!standard difficulties must be included. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which does not break any difficulty-specific guidelines. ^
    2. Converted difficulties must form a reasonable spread. For example, a mapset with Easy and Normal osu!standard difficulties and an Insane osu!catch difficulty is not permitted. One or more additional difficulties may need to be added to fill the gap. See this with rule D send out conflicting messages when first read. "Oh you can't have an Insane with an Easy/Normal oh but rule D says it can be Insane and lower." I understand that this is for normal/hard converted spreads but better clarification should be used.
    3. Any two osu!taiko or osu!mania difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Hard. same wording thing as first point
    4. One osu!catch difficulty may be included. It must be at least an Insane difficulty. extending from rule B, this should most likely read something along the lines of "One osu!catch difficulty may be included. It must be a hard or easier unless the converted osu!standard set is a normal &
      hard spread (and any other acceptable combinations), to which an insane diff would be allowed." This might sound somewhat confusing in itself, but it's at least less ambiguous and not conflicting as the current set of rules.
  4. Mapsets must have a minimum drain time of 30 seconds. This ensures each ranked map has a practical play-time.
  5. Marathons must have a minimum drain time of 5 minutes. This excludes especially long mapsets from requiring a spread of difficulties. does the new website have a fix for maps that end with a slider/spinner? that would be really nice
  6. Songs/maps cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time. Abusing the 5 minute limitation removes its intended purpose. Types of abuse include:
    1. Lowering a song’s BPM
    3. Adding sounds before/after a song begins/ends so I get that these 3 here are meant to be there to preserve audio accuracy to the actual song at hand, but I feel like if they're used in the correct way (sound being slowed down enough to change how the song could be interpreted for instance,
      having perfect loops of a song to the point where it just sounds like an Extended Mix for lack of a better term, and well we have Pavor Nocturnus [2015] for the last point) it could potentially work but then that runs the risk of always being a case by case basis which is something you want to avoid as a ranking criteria council, so I'll leave this one up to further discussion
    4. Extending spinners/sliders over inaudible sounds this is fine
    5. Manually removing breaks this is already against the RC afaik (aka editing the .osu file)
  7. Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game-mode. The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped. see no I can't get behind this. I understand that mapsets containing 9 or more diffs are rare, but they're common enough that they already have a place in the game, and whilst I've seen people argue the point that "if they're so similar/different they should just be in separate spreads" but most people won't do that, definitely considering that most people that have spreads that high are mostly guest difficulties, and so the mappers of the guest difficulties in a very high number of scenarios will just not bother to rank another spread of that map as it's not in their interest, so what you're doing is taking a 12 diff spread, and instead of splitting it into 2 6 spread mapsets like you want, you'll just cut 4 diffs from the set, that's reality. Also in spreads that have a high SR top diff, an 8 diff count is very limiting in spread terms. For example, stuff like Doppelganger barely fits into the 8 diff criteria and its spread isn't exactly overdoing, in fact, any less and it would be questionably unrankable due to gaps in the SR. Please, for the love of god, reconsider this before you make a terrible mistake and injure potential massive projects, or even just decent sets throughout, I can't see any upside to this rule.
  8. Excluding a mapset’s hardest difficulty, a difficulty’s name must accurately indicate its level of difficulty. Conventional difficulty names vary between modes, but any set of clearly progressive difficulty names can be alternatively used. Additionally, a mapset’s hardest difficulty should not use a name misrepresentative of its difficulty. woo case by case basis on hardest difficulty naming woo time to argue over why a diffname is relevant woo (in reality no one is going to follow this rule after like 2 weeks)
  9. A difficulty’s name must be unrelated to a username. Guest difficulties, however, may indicate possession with its mappers’ username or nickname. (e.g. Guest Mapper’s Insane).
  10. Additionally, a mapset host cannot indicate possession in a difficulty’s name. (e.g. Mapset Host’s Insane). Metadata conflicts caused by mapping a song multiple times are an exception.
  11. A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due. Drain times for collaborative difficulties must be listed in the creator’s words for via storyboarding. <--- this wording at the end makes no sense. "for via storyboarding"? does that mean that the people's names have to be included in a storyboard? have to be included in the description for potential storyboarding?
    what if the mapset owner doesn't plan to have a storyboard is it still necessary then? I can't contribute more to this until it's rewritten to make more sense.
Guidelines

Guidelines may be violated under exceptional circumstances. These exceptional circumstances must be warranted by an exhaustive explanation as of why the guideline has been violated and why not violating it will interfere with the overall quality of the creation.

1. Avoid incomprehensible username combinations to indicate possession of a collaborative guest difficulty. If it’s unclear whose usernames are combined, simplification is recommended.
  2. Avoid difficulty names with descriptive elements not clearly related to a guest difficulty mapper or a level of difficulty. (e.g. Mapper’s Tragic Love Extra). A mapset’s hardest difficulty may use free naming, but clear and appropriate relation to its song is recommended. Debatable being in the guidelines section considering you put a strict use of hardest diff naming in the rules
  3. Usernames indicating possession of a guest difficulty should be consistent between multiple mapsets. Varying nicknames for one user makes interpreting who created a difficulty confusing. I guess if a user changes name then a drastic name change is fine, might want to add that as an exception.
  4. Avoid unicode characters in a difficulty’s name. These can cause errors with the beatmap submission system and problems for certain users when appearing in chat.

Once again, this draft is not the final result, as we need the feedback of the community first before getting it officially bumped into the wiki! It will be up to discussion for two weeks and close on the 18th of June! feedback given kds plz xd
Sieg
Single-mode mapsets must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which complies with their respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.

Hybrid mapsets without osu!standard difficulties must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties per mode. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which does not break any difficulty-specific guidelines.
Shouldn't be the same?
Jerry
hi

pishifat wrote:

A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due. Drain times for collaborative difficulties must be listed in the creator’s words for via storyboarding.
uhm is that a typo on "or via storyboarding"? Because the "for" can cause quite a bit of a confusion since many people (the ones that I've asked, at least) will think that collaborations now requires storyboards that states each mapper's part lol

pishifat wrote:

Like what celerih said earlier, many songs can be interpreted in a lot of different ways due to the sheer number of different mapping styles that you can see varying from mapper to mapper. While I do see some sense to why this has been proposed (avoiding unnecessarily large mapsets and all that), I strongly think that this rule should be adjusted in a more flexible way and that it should only be applied in a case-by-case basis.

For example, let's say Mapper A has 9 guest difficulties on their map (along with maybe 4 of their own diffs), and each of these difficulties have a very distinct style to them that makes all of them unique and fun in their own way. And then we have Mapper B who also has 9 guest difficulties, however all 9 of them feels and plays in almost the same way that you can't really tell one apart from the other.
In this case, Mapper A's map should be allowed to pass through after being checked by the BNG/QATs while Mapper B will be asked to follow the "8 diff limit rule" that's stated above and remove some of their difficulties in order to proceed with the ranking process.

This seems like a better approach to this issue in my opinion rather than just completely disallowing mapsets to exceed a certain difficulty amount.
UndeadCapulet

update wrote:

Songs/maps cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time. Abusing the 5 minute limitation removes its intended purpose.
If a mapper is going to go out of their way to have the mp3 edited to reach marathon length, this rule won't get them to make a full spread. This rule is choosing between "have a 5 minute map for a song that isn't 5 minutes" and "have no map". As long as the actual play experience of the map is still pleasant, it is better to have the map than not have the map. There is never anything bad about having more maps.
There are plenty of songs that really don't fit for a full mapspread, but just barely don't reach minimum drain time. My 4:45 300BPM death metal anthem is not going to make for a good experience as a Normal difficulty. Requiring a mapper to design a full spread for certain songs that clearly don't need it isn't beneficial to rank quality.
To be honest this rule is almost unenforceable anyway since the line between user remix and mp3 extending is super blurry. Right now I can't add sounds to the beginning or end, but I CAN add sounds consistently throughout the mp3, call it an Edit ver. and rank it that way. People will always find loopholes to unnecessary rules.
It's also unclear whether separate songs are included in the "adding sounds to the end of the mp3" or not. Song compilations can be considered unrankable with this current wording.

update wrote:

This idea has already been very vocally rejected by the community. Players love big sets because it gives lots of different difficulties in one easy-to-download bundle instead of having to dig through a bunch of different sets. Mappers love big sets because they create lots of community interaction and they are fun to build up with friends. They are harder to find bn's for but that's the mappers' risk to take.
There is literally no downside to more maps in ranked.

update wrote:

A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due. Drain times for collaborative difficulties must be listed in the creator’s words for via storyboarding.
change "for" to "or"
The mapset owner is in charge of not just mapping, but frequently also asking for every guest diff, finding mods, hitsounding, storyboarding, timing, balancing spread, and ensuring every other included difficulty is rankable. The set owner basically always deserves credit regardless of how much work they actually did.
If the guest difficulty mappers are okay giving mapset credit to a mapper who did "less work" than them, there should be no reason to not let them. If they weren't okay with it they wouldn't be in the set.

update wrote:

Usernames indicating possession of a guest difficulty should be consistent between multiple mapsets. Varying nicknames for one user makes interpreting who created a difficulty confusing.
If the mapper doesn't care whether they're credited or not then that's entirely on them. The real username will be in tags and description anyway for users to find them so it doesn't matter what nickname they use in the diff name. This is just a "No Fun Allowed" rule that doesn't affect map quality in any way.

To be honest this can be said about every diffname rule/guideline. Is it really necessary to police them so strictly? With the new star rating the map difficulty can be somewhat reasonably determined without any difficulty name, so I don't see any reason to carry over old rules.
mangomizer
Not really here to offer my thoughts, more to just make sure things are clear unambiguous, ie. do the generic grammar and sense check cuz I'm bored.

Mod Box

pishifat wrote:

hi

Spread

Rules

1. Single-mode mapsets must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which complies with their respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria. The wording of "at least" is really confusing. I'm guessing you are saying that it is Normal or lower, but "at least" suggests "more", which you could interpret as being harder than Normal (rip Easy difficulties, because they are apparently unrankable now lol). I propose an alternative wording, "must be no higher than X difficulty"/"must not be higher than X diff". PLEASE FIX FOR ALL INSTANCES!
  2. Hybrid mapsets without osu!standard difficulties must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties per mode. The lowest difficulty Does this apply to both difficulties, or a singular difficulty? must be at least a Normal which does not break any difficulty-specific guidelines.
    1. A reasonable spread of at least two osu!standard difficulties must be included. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Normal which does not break any difficulty-specific guidelines.
    2. Converted difficulties must form a reasonable spread. For example, a mapset with Easy and Normal osu!standard difficulties and an Insane osu!catch difficulty is not permitted. One or more additional difficulties may need to be added to fill the gap.
    3. Any two osu!taiko or osu!mania difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty must be at least a Hard.
    4. One osu!catch difficulty may be included. It must be at least an Insane difficulty.
  5. Marathons must have a minimum drain time of 5 minutes. This excludes especially long mapsets from requiring a spread of difficulties.
  6. Songs/maps cannot be modified to reach the minimum drain time. Abusing the 5 minute limitation removes its intended purpose. Types of abuse include:
    1. Lowering a song’s BPM
    3. Adding sounds before/after a song begins/ends
    4. Extending spinners/sliders over inaudible sounds
    5. Manually removing breaks
  7. Mapsets cannot include more than 8 total difficulties of a single game-mode. The highest difficulty of a game-mode is not required to fit within a reasonable spread, so long as no levels of difficulty are skipped. OKOKOK HOLD ON. If the highest difficulty is not bound by reasonable spread, so I can theoretically map an Easy bundled with an Insane? This conflicts with an earlier rule which says that both difficulties must adhere to a "reasonable spread". So which rule here takes precedence?
  8. Excluding a mapset’s hardest difficulty, a difficulty’s name must accurately indicate its level of difficulty. Conventional difficulty names vary between modes, but any set of clearly progressive difficulty names can be alternatively used. Additionally, a mapset’s hardest difficulty should not use a name misrepresentative of its difficulty.
  9. A difficulty’s name must be unrelated to a username. Guest difficulties, however, may indicate possession with its mappers’ username or nickname. (e.g. Guest Mapper’s Insane).
  10. Additionally, a mapset host cannot indicate possession in a difficulty’s name. (e.g. Mapset Host’s Insane). Metadata conflicts caused by mapping a song multiple times are an exception.
  11. A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due. Drain times for collaborative difficulties must be listed in the creator’s words for via storyboarding.
Guidelines

2. Avoid difficulty names with descriptive elements not clearly related to a guest difficulty mapper or a level of difficulty. (e.g. Mapper’s Tragic Love Extra). A mapset’s hardest difficulty may use free naming, but clear and appropriate relation to its song is recommended.
  3. Usernames indicating possession of a guest difficulty should be consistent between multiple mapsets. Varying nicknames for one user makes interpreting who created a difficulty confusing.

Once again, this draft is not the final result, as we need the feedback of the community first before getting it officially bumped into the wiki! It will be up to discussion for two weeks and close on the 18th of June!
show more