forum

skins! Skinning Competition!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

Thank you everyone for participating, here's the list of the skins and their skinners in order of our favorite to least:

───────────────
osu! OnTheSea
by
pasi123567
───────────────
Aaqo0
by
Abolaspany
───────────────
Miracle Sea
by
Chromaia
───────────────
b.bubble
by
ewfwefgwg
───────────────
Aquadome
by
-Snivy3000-
───────────────
Mako
by
Nixot
───────────────
Wonders of the Ocean
by
joaop320r
───────────────
Cuddly Sea
by
Cuddly Loli
───────────────
Mariana Trench
by
Xelkaar
───────────────
Marine
by
SkyLifeHope
───────────────

Original forum post.

If you would like to watch a video explanation instead of reading the post, you can find that here.

Hi everyone! I'm here today to announce the skins! skinning competition!
This competition is not gameplay focused, but is more focused on the aesthetics of the skin, though it does need to be playable.
There is no entrance fee, and everyone is welcomed to join, we only have a few requirements:

1. You must save at least 10 elements from your skin in their original format(.psd / .ai / etc) with the layers still intact.
  2. You must not use any outside images in your skin, this must be fully original!
  3. You must make every element of your skin for this competition, you may not use anything you've made before for anything other than a reference.
  4. You must stick to the theme(Marine Life & Oceans).
  5. You must skin at least all menu elements + all standard gameplay elements. You are not required to skin other gamemodes, but it may help you win the competition if you do.
Judging will take place the day after the entries have been closed. The winners will be announced May 1st.
The winners will be picked via these means:

1) The skins! staff team will look through all of the skins and pick their top 10 based primarily on looks, and secondarily on playability.
2) Those 10 skins will be listed in a poll on our website, everyone can vote once.
3) The most voted for skin at the end of the poll will be the 1st place winner, 2nd and 3rd place will be picked by the skins! staff team.
4) Winners will be contacted via discord/osu! PMs/whichever form of contact they list on their submission.

Why should you join our competition? Well, other than it being free to enter, the top 3 skins will be reviewed on our channel and given prizes!

The theme is Marine Life and Oceans, skinners have 2 weeks to get the skin finished and submitted to the link provided in the theme announcement video.
We hope to see some amazing work out of all of you!

We also have a discord server where you can talk to other skinners and the competition organizers if you need help with anything.
Adorn
Woo-hoo. ♥ Good luck to those of you participating. The post looks really good, CBullet.
Iyouka
Gonna participating :D
_xyliac
I'm intrested
Rosalie
i really want to participate, why not, yolo ;-;
Pashaogonb
can i use like textures or elements of images from google? Or all the drawings must be done just by hand?
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

Pashaogonb wrote:

can i use like textures or elements of images from google? Or all the drawings must be done just by hand?
Textures are fine as long as you make them your own in some discernible way and link your source in your submission.
Incomp
I call dibs on reviewing 3rd place.
Iyouka
Oh yeah i forgot to ask about this...can i take any of the sound effects from another skin? :v
_bird
I mean all I need is Microsoft paint and some creativity right?
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

OrbZaXor wrote:

Oh yeah i forgot to ask about this...can i take any of the sound effects from another skin? :v
You may, but you also may want to wait until you know the theme to start hitsounding.
Garin
time to get that 3rd time winner flair Kappa
blobdash
But what if you win but you play mouse? :thinking:
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

FruityEnLoops wrote:

:thinking: Guess you can re-sell the tablet or gift it to someone? I have no idea. :p In the event that a strictly mouse>tablet player wins and doesn't want the tablet, I'm sure they could negotiate something with the 2nd place winner to maybe trade prizes(minus the support length, of course).
Satte
Sounds fun
InfinityGhost
i know im in
RareNest
Oh fuck yes
Rinia
Wait ?
What should I do to enter a Skin Contest ?
I'am just a noob XD
insane player
Looks great! Can't wait until the theme is announced.
Iyouka

FruityEnLoops wrote:

Well you can be a tablet player then xD
Pandano
I'm into this
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

Pandano wrote:

I'm into this
I'm into you :wink:
paperglider
this looks fun! count me in too :D
Elzapatoverde
Oh man, Im exited :3
The only thing that worries me is that two weeks is probably not enough time for college students like me ;_;
Hythes
Seems good!! the prize too
Hythes

Elzapatoverde wrote:

Oh man, Im exited :3
The only thing that worries me is that two weeks is probably not enough time for college students like me ;_;
Yes, me too ;_;
blobdash
User voting for #1 is not a good idea. The winner will be chosen not by people but by bots or by who has the largest community.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

FruityEnLoops wrote:

User voting for #1 is not a good idea. The winner will be chosen not by people but by bots or by who has the largest community.
Vote manipulation has been accounted for, the skinners' identities will be anonymous until the winners are announced.
suryae
I'm up to this like an attack helipcopter taking off. NOW GIMME THE THEMES.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

suryae wrote:

I'm up to this like an attack helipcopter taking off. NOW GIMME THE THEMES.
Theme will be announced this Friday.
blobdash

CBullet wrote:

FruityEnLoops wrote:

Vote manipulation has been accounted for, the skinners' identities will be anonymous until the winners are announced.
Good thing!
I'm in anyway :p I think there should be official skinning competitions, like the beatmap ones ; the winners would be added to the base game pack
Would be cool since, let's face it, the base skin is not that great.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

FruityEnLoops wrote:

I'm in anyway :p I think there should be official skinning competitions, like the beatmap ones ; the winners would be added to the base game pack. Would be cool since, let's face it, the base skin is not that great.
shhhh don't let peppy take this away from us ;w;
-Redya-
and friday come, i'm want know about skinning competition theme :3
blobdash

CBullet wrote:

FruityEnLoops wrote:

I'm in anyway :p I think there should be official skinning competitions, like the beatmap ones ; the winners would be added to the base game pack. Would be cool since, let's face it, the base skin is not that great.
shhhh don't let peppy take this away from us ;w;
n_n
there should be more skinning competitions in my opinion ^^
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

-Redya- wrote:

and friday come, i'm want know about skinning competition theme :3
Friday at noon PST, should've specified that, my bad!
SK_la
Locked theme?
About picture we can only draw or make own?
The competition is a team?
sorry,I'm still a little confused
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_8541283

[ Reversal ] la wrote:

Locked theme?
The theme will be announced in about 13 hours. You must skin according to that theme.

[ Reversal ] la wrote:

About picture we can only draw or make own?
The skin must be 100% original and all the elements made by you. You may reference an image or have inspiration from it, but tracing/plagiarism is strictly forbidden. Textures may be used to an extent.

[ Reversal ] la wrote:

The competition is a team?
No, you'll be skinning this alone.
Ruuue

CBullet wrote:

FruityEnLoops wrote:

Except those people are going to know who made what skin because they probably already saw it in production lol. On another note, how are brushes treated in this ruleset?
show more