forum

Why is Spring 2017 so lackluster?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gobbyboss
Okay hear me out, last season was fucking great in terms of overall show quality. We had...
  1. Konosuba
  2. Masamune-kun no Revenge?
  3. Kuzu no Honkai
  4. Maid Dragon
  5. Youjo Senki
  6. Demi-chan
  7. Gabriel DropOut

Not to mention all the other niche shows like Little Witch that people seemed to like. But this season seems so weak compared to that list that hooked me from the start. Right now the only shows I'm excited for are sequels. Shingeki no Kyojin, Boku no Hero Academia, and Saekano are the only shows I look forward to each week with maybe Danmachi coming in. Everything else is either disappointing, super generic, or just uninteresting in general. Personally I find Renai Boukun and Sakura Quest decent, but in general, what the hell happened to this season?
Kosuna
I can see where you're coming from. Besides second seasons of already popular anime, there hasn't been anything that has stood out for me yet. There's Boruto if you're a Naruto fan, but even then it's nothing that special.

It's still a bit early to judge the shows. Sometimes they get better when the season progresses.
Topic Starter
gobbyboss

Kosuna wrote:

I can see where you're coming from. Besides second seasons of already popular anime, there hasn't been anything that has stood out for me yet. There's Boruto if you're a Naruto fan, but even then it's nothing that special.
It's still a bit early to judge the shows. Sometimes they get better when the season progresses.

Yeah I see what you are saying, but I'm just worried since last season had an explosive start with all those shows except maybe Maid Dragon and Youjo Senki having an explosive start. There are a few shows I still have hope for like Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho and maybe Sakurada Reset will turn good, but everything else is just weak.
Navizel
There will always be lackluster seasons. This is nothing new. Tbh it's always 3-7 anime worth watching every season.
blissfulyoshi
Well you also have to remember that even if a majority of shows don't appeal to you, they may appeal to someone else.

Also, people have a finite amount of money they can spend in a season. How many companies want to risk going head to head with SNK2?

Lastly, if you really want to say a season is lackluster, pull up sales data for the season and show how it badly compares to all other seasons.