posted
Total Posts
show more
7ambda
Topic Starter
Manfred

FreetStyle wrote:

So maybe you aren't enjoying yourself playing like you are
You're right, I don't enjoy trying to FC anything, I enjoy challenging myself to play shit I have no place trying to beat. If you told me I could make it through https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1095418&m=0 [Ultimate] 6.3* until I hit my limit at the crazy streams 2 months ago, then I wouldn't believe you. I enjoy trying that ludicrously difficult map for my current skill level and seeing myself get 300 combo and 93% accuracy. I enjoy that, but I won't get anywhere by doing stuff like that.
Topic Starter
Manfred

F1r3tar wrote:

http://howtocircle.click
You best be ready for my fiery shitstorm F1r3tar. My brown eyed willy is gettin' ready to spew forth hellfire.
Hibiya-chan
It's a 3:2 ratio between consistent FCs and choke plays respectively for me. Tbh, I just recently started getting consistent FCs when I turned off mouse precision since at the time, my aim is kind of a roulette, which is either a shitmiss or a hit.

In your case tho...

Manfred wrote:

Is there just some mystical level where you nerves stop getting to you so badly, I mean my heartrate goes up to dangerous levels just by having a 250 combo on a 450 total note map. Once I lose the FC I untense and just feel well, you probably know the feeling. Shity.
play more (plz don't beat me up). But since I also have get the feeling sometimes, I'll advice you to breathe... Yes, breathing. In playing a map, you get so tensed up in your mind thinking that "Oh boi Im gonna fc this sht" and the pressure just lets you focus on the map and nothing else but that, and in doing so, you completely forget to breathe normally (remember how the heart goes fast coz it needs oxygen?) so yeah, steady breathing. Heck what am I talking about, play more is already enough advice coz it just develops through experience.
FreetStyle

Manfred wrote:

FreetStyle wrote:

So maybe you aren't enjoying yourself playing like you are
You're right, I don't enjoy trying to FC anything, I enjoy challenging myself to play shit I have no place trying to beat. If you told me I could make it through https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1095418&m=0 [Ultimate] 6.3* until I hit my limit at the crazy streams 2 months ago, then I wouldn't believe you. I enjoy trying that ludicrously difficult map for my current skill level and seeing myself get 300 combo and 93% accuracy. I enjoy that, but I won't get anywhere by doing stuff like that.

Indeed mashing maps that you can not possibly pass is not the right solution, for me (and i believe many other people) the best way to improve is to play maps that are challenging to pass (not by mashing) or fc and do it.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Hibiya-chan wrote:

play more [spoiler](plz don't beat me up)
Say play more again. SAY PLAY MORE again! And I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker! Say PLAY MORE one more time.

Jokes aside, I will try your breathing advice. After seeing a video of Rohulk literally hyper ventilate while trying to FC L.S.A.O United https://youtu.be/vjommq5iUL4?t=297 I see why breathing properly is important to keeping nerves down. I also used to suffer from panic attacks so deep breathing is not new to me.
Topic Starter
Manfred

FreetStyle wrote:

Indeed mashing maps that you can not possibly pass is not the right solution, for me (and i believe many other people) the best way to improve is to play maps that are challenging to pass (not by mashing) or fc and do it.
I actually really wouldn't say I mash or really have much trouble up until those 260bpm streams come in, but to see myself follow rhythm and jumps at that speed well enough to make it that far into a 6.3* map is what I can find fun. On the other hand, mashing to BASSDROP FREAKS(Hai), I will admit doesn't do anything and is mostly just me fucking around to see how I can comprehend it.
7ambda
N0thingSpecial
I personally find a comfortable grip and good arm support go a long way, I used to get nerves from fukin TV size maps, cause there's so much strain on my hand and arm, after changing my mouse trying out grip styles and slowly developing good muscle memory, I am able to relax my hand and arm when FCing or even when mouse drift is fucking up my hand.
n0stamina
I still don't it's normal now
Sayorie
never
Yuudachi-kun

Manfred wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Then I started playing 4k and stepmania
I'm waayy too stupid and uncoordinated for either of those two. R.I.P brainpower.
Then why are you not saying the same thing for osu
I Give Up
Never.
kai99
So I've been saying on forums that I was grinding 3.5-3.7* maps for a while
after a month, I was able to fc them consistently (w/o those anomaly hard maps that I can't even get 90% on) so now I've moved on to late 3*~early 4* maps and now grinding again. Hopefully that "consistently fc" happens again.. after a month or so.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Then why are you not saying the same thing for osu
Standard, while hard as shit sometimes, is comprehend able even at higher speeds for me. On the other hand, I was always shit at guitar hero, and also total shit at mania. I just can't coordinate several fingers at once. But tbh, I've never really given mania too much of a try, it just doesn't fully interest me.
Eiuh
When I can consistently FC maps, it's a sign I need harder maps
MarshallRules

F1r3tar wrote:

http://howtocircle.click
Funniest post I've seen in awhile. :lol:
Nattsun
I can sightread almost all maps from 4-4.5* (including some old mapping styles/modern cancer) and everything from 4.5-5* is based on the mapping style. If it is a standard TV size I don't even realize it's over cuz short and easy, same for longer maps with standard mapping styles.

I only get nervous on 5min+ maps, no matter if it's easy or hard. FCing 5minute maps is just so satisfying, depending on the difficulty my nerves go from "doped with caffein to cocaine". Never had the feelings you described, though. I reverse choke often due to my "no retry" policy so I couldn't care less about another "good" A rank. If I can't do it again, it was luck and if I do it again I was consistent.

There was that one time where I actually felt miserable after finishing a map and now my mind blocks on that map. After FCing the first half I feel like passing out, it doesn't happen on other maps, just that one specific map that is not even hard :@ It's this one: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/53554?m=0
I literally missed the last note on a 7 minute map, the first time I ever said "fuck that" loud, closed my pc, lighted my cig and took a break from a game cuz rage. No game made me that mad and your description fits to that map, but only that one.

Oh and by the way, the only way to stop caring about FCing is to FC easier stuff until harder stuff doesn't feel hard anymore. I always start my osu! sessions with 4* maps and casually FC them when I'm slowly warming up. When I feel ready and my aim is on point I start playing 4.7-5.24* maps and guess what, I don't even care anymore if I'm setting a new top play, because I FCd so many maps already so I start giving a fuck. One exception, 5min+ maps.

TL;DR: Play more and play diffrent stuff. Just play to improve and if you become better you can go back to your cursed map and sightread it.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Cirno9 wrote:

There was that one time where I actually felt miserable after finishing a map and now my mind blocks on that map. After FCing the first half I feel like passing out, it doesn't happen on other maps, just that one specific map that is not even hard :@ It's this one: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/53554?m=0
I literally missed the last note on a 7 minute map, the first time I ever said "fuck that" loud, closed my pc, lighted my cig and took a break from a game cuz rage. No game made me that mad and your description fits to that map, but only that one.
I personally would be out of my skin nervous even if the map was 3 stars. The way I look at longer maps is, the longer it is the more and more chances to miss at easy things. Getting a decently high combo (700+) is enough to make me happy for now. One thing that keeps me coming back to maps is just me simply enjoying the song. If I like the song it makes it a lot easier to come back and retry.

I like jpop, but fucking kill me now if I had to retry an anime TV sized map for more than 30 minutes. That's definitely why I have so little S's and even fewer SS's. But if I like the song a bunch and the map, then I put it in my mental map bank for shit I eventually want to try and FC, no matter the number of retires. I LOVE technical maps now, even if I'm still not good at them, I just love the variation they have.

I'm still always trying to push my limits and try all sorts of different variables. The hardest right now being OD 9 jumps and triples with a short slider underneath, then a small jump to another slider. I still can't wrap my head around those for some reason.

This is probably an unorthodox way to practice, but I like seeing how I handle 6* maps and see what I can pass with an A rank.
Nattsun

Manfred wrote:

Cirno9 wrote:

I personally would be out of my skin nervous even if the map was 3 stars. The way I look at longer maps is, the longer it is the more and more chances to miss at easy things. Getting a decently high combo (700+) is enough to make me happy for now. One thing that keeps me coming back to maps is just me simply enjoying the song. If I like the song it makes it a lot easier to come back and retry.

I like jpop, but fucking kill me now if I had to retry an anime TV sized map for more than 30 minutes. That's definitely why I have so little S's and even fewer SS's. But if I like the song a bunch and the map, then I put it in my mental map bank for shit I eventually want to try and FC, no matter the number of retires. I LOVE technical maps now, even if I'm still not good at them, I just love the variation they have.

I'm still always trying to push my limits and try all sorts of different variables. The hardest right now being OD 9 jumps and triples with a short slider underneath, then a small jump to another slider. I still can't wrap my head around those for some reason.

This is probably an unorthodox way to practice, but I like seeing how I handle 6* maps and see what I can pass with an A rank.
If you git guud you won't need the retry button anymore and it's more fun that way in my opinion.

Btw when I want to play a map I play it and don't worry about combo and such. Sometimes it is really relaxing to play for the music (yes this is a rhythm game) and stop being obsessed with all the numbers left and right. And I have to agree, techmaps are fun, most of them are long 5* maps, though, the good stuff at least. I always finish them no matter how bad my score is and guess why, for fun and improvement. Just do the same. If you can't ignore the interface (the thing that displays your acc/combo) press shift+tab, just in case you don't know about it. Not seeing my accuracy and combo is actually way more comfortable for me, might help you too.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Cirno9 wrote:

Just do the same. If you can't ignore the interface (the thing that displays your acc/combo) press shift+tab, just in case you don't know about it. Not seeing my accuracy and combo is actually way more comfortable for me, might help you too.
Very wise advice, not seeing my accuracy or combo makes me less nervous. Also, I have dropped combos so many damn times looking at my accuracy like mid stream or some stupid shit.
Nattsun

Manfred wrote:

Cirno9 wrote:

Just do the same. If you can't ignore the interface (the thing that displays your acc/combo) press shift+tab, just in case you don't know about it. Not seeing my accuracy and combo is actually way more comfortable for me, might help you too.
Very wise advice, not seeing my accuracy or combo makes me less nervous. Also, I have dropped combos so many damn times looking at my accuracy like mid stream or some stupid shit.
Same here, I used to enable it in brakes and I used to panic when I saw me having 99.5%+ accuracy, but now I just finish the map and expect the best. Brakes are to reposition your mouse, not to check stats :^)

NINJAEDIT: Checked your profile, you already sold your soul to Wacom smh
Topic Starter
Manfred

Cirno9 wrote:

CUZ DEY SAID TABLET MAIK ME BETUR.

I actually believed that when I started playing, then I sucked ass with a tablet (because obviously I wouldn't be used to it, what the fuck was I thinking) and went back to mouse for a while. I eventually tried tablet again and got better with it. But have faith, I occasionally try mouse to see if I can improve to play at a moderate level with it. Not really good so far but certainly getting somewhere, so I'm not fully sold to a tablet.

My aim is too shit with a tablet still that I'm not willing to try mouse all the time, I need to work on one or the other right now.

Look! It's me when I try to stream 240+ BPM
Nattsun

Manfred wrote:

Cirno9 wrote:

CUZ DEY SAID TABLET MAIK ME BETUR.

I actually believed that when I started playing, then I sucked ass with a tablet (because obviously I wouldn't be used to it, what the fuck was I thinking) and went back to mouse for a while. I eventually tried tablet again and got better with it. But have faith, I occasionally try mouse to see if I can improve to play at a moderate level with it. Not really good so far but certainly getting somewhere, so I'm not fully sold to a tablet.

My aim is too shit with a tablet still that I'm not willing to try mouse all the time, I need to work on one or the other right now.

Look! It's me when I try to stream 240+ BPM
This will help you with your desicion: