forum

Does the height of your keyboard affect your playing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Domo3311
I used to have my keyboard at around the height of between my chest and stomach. I recently got one of those computer tables (with the sliding wood piece that the kayboard rests on)and my keyboard now rests around the height of my stomach. My arm is at about a 80 deg angle when i play with my arm being parallel to the table that my keyboard is on. However my streaming has decreased by about 15-20 bpm and my fingers tire really quickly (after 1 tv sized song) and even start to hurt if i keep going without taking a short break.Also sometimes my tapping would suddenly go off rhythm and i miss EVERYTHING during jumps(missing till i die, no recovery) Ive only had this new keyboard position for my second day so i'm not sure if it's because of the general position of the keyboard or if its just that i'm not used to it. Does anyone else have the keyboard in the same position as me or went through the same changes?
Sandy Hoey
It is what position your arm is in that effects your play, which is tied in with the position angle, height of your keyboard
Topic Starter
Domo3311

Sandy Hoey wrote:

It is what position your arm is in that effects your play, which is tied in with the position angle, height of your keyboard
so is having the height of my keyboard down where i have it now bad?
Sandy Hoey
The only time it becomes "bad" is if it starts to hurt your arm and the muscles. Otherwise, it isn't "bad", just not the best for your play

Then again, change may end up helping you. Only one way to find out
kai99
I use my laptop keyboard (macbook 2012 so it's literally nothing) and this if my fingers are too tired.
Doesn't really make a difference. IMO the difference actually comes from switches / actuation points rather than height. But... If you feel uncomfortable with the height of the keyboard that's gonna be a negative factor.
Hibiya-chan
You said yourself that you just got into that position so don't expect to be comfortable with it first time around. Try to play more with that new position and see if you get comfortable with it at some point.
Nattsun
When I first tried out tablet I was forced to change my position of the keyboard, not in height, but I moved it towards the wall (away from me). With my arms resting on the table I couldn't even do triples properly anymore and I was exhausted in no time.

Glad that mouse>tablet :p
Sayorie
This might sound bullshit but your preferred position while playing affects your muscle memory. Just a small off-positioned aspect may produce some small inconsistencies. E.g. my aim worsens when the height of the table is different, and since I'm a wrist user, a different arm angle affects how I move my wrist thus affecting my aim.

I say just get used to your new setup