forum

Omoi - Snow Drive(01.23)

posted
Total Posts
show more
pkhg
avoid bad words
Arusamour
one thing for sure: raikozen said too much. swearing to that extent was a little silly, i must say.

second thing for sure: i am puzzled as to how many of you guys are so stumped on his over-reaction and not the content. he's trying to provide information, yet you boys create ruckus like children and then deem it drama. also, "like children"? oh wait, many of you guys are full-grown adults... haha never mind that.

arguments strive interesting conversations but i can't say that was one. If you can't provide valuable points, stop adding nonsense to the equation.

fuck fuck dick wank.
Irreversible
Loctav
Heads up: If I see a single insult from anybody that is involved in mapping this mapset, I'll just nuke it and you can carry this discussion to the grave.
If I see a single BN getting rude again, I'll just throw them out.
Discuss reasonable, stay on topic, stay on the matter, basically read this red text Irre posted and stop behaving like you just graduated from your local kindergarten. Thank you very much.

@-himei if you dont know how the modding process work, please get lost or discuss that somewhere else. Just because it is not breaking the RC doesnt mean that no debate about the matter is permitted or that stuff still can't be wrong. And apparantly someone nailed something on your forehead, because this is like the 9023490390349509305935902123843298th time that someone told you this and you are still too dense to get it. Can you just quit it altogether and stop teaching people about an ecosystem that you clearly never understood yourself? On a second note, you can discuss your displease about how the modding ecosystem works in its own thread, not in map threads that are only reserved for discussions about the map self. If you fail to abide that, we will have to make sure that you simply never post in this threads again - ever.
Stjpa
Just to clear things up from my side: I never intended to come off passive-aggressive in my mods so if they did I'm sorry for that, I know what stuff was rather rude so I learned from that as well

However most of my concerns still stand, so we will see if things will get solved on the normal way or not. If Raikozen prefers Kroytz to handle all that I'm open for a discussion via Discord

Also, I can still do a full mod instead of only discussing the "bigger concerns" just in case you want it
Shiirn
Attacks and dissenting opinions towards a map are not necessarily personal attacks on the mapper. This is something everyone should try to remember, as it's very easy to feel as if your opinions are being disregarded when presented with conflicting ones.

Your maps are not you. They are not an extension of you, no matter what you may feel on the matter. They are something that are created, and once ranked have officially "grown up" - they're no longer under your control. Ranking a map is by definition ceasing all development and putting out a final, unchangeable copy. You'd best be ready for that.

Maps do not have feelings. Mappers do. People get pissed off when they feel their opinion is being disregarded, or when they feel people aren't giving them the respect "they deserve" by implying, or in many cases, outright saying, that they feel the mapper did something incorrectly.

The main conflicts people are bringing up with this map proper are based on what constitutes "proper representation of the song". The biggest nail of discord there is that the song itself is extremely messed up and hard to follow. As such, different levels of experience in music, listening, or even possibly physical gear (headphones, speakers, etc) can be causing massive changes in what each person hears in this track.

This is why I went to so much effort to point out how horrible this track was - not the map, not the mappers, the song itself. A song that has this much conflict over what even constitutes the basic rhythms and melodies really shouldn't have a difficulty over 6.5*. And that's being generous.
Mun

Shiirn wrote:

Your maps are not you.
Pira

Mun wrote:

Shiirn wrote:

Your maps are not you.
So I'm not shit woot
Ascendance

pkhg wrote:

avoid bad words
allein
please enjoy game
xtrem3x
A little observation ...

> p/5872808
> p/5876534

Kudosu during Qualified (excent of kudosu) ??

And a personal opinion on Raikozen beatmap (I know it's not worth much because I'm a taiko player) but I see it too excessive even to think that cookiezi can pass it in S, those jumps are very wide.
Okoratu
Hi, after looking through all the points brought up about raikozen's diff there are quite a lot of logical arguments that should be discussed properly so I'm pulling this out of qualified for the time being.

Make sure to go over all mod posts again as they contains a lot places where the map simplifies the song for little to no reason
Anxient
idk which ones has been responded to, and which ones hasnt been responded to, so heres every mod post that has touched this forum thread post-ranking.

good luck kroytz and co.!
Topic Starter
Kroytz
Mm most have been responded to before, but the posts got deleted. Not sure what's gonna happen here but uh... we'll see I guess.
idke
raikozens diff is ok leave it alone just let me farm my 700pp already
hi-mei

Loctav wrote:

@-himei if you dont know how the modding process work, please get lost or discuss that somewhere else. Just because it is not breaking the RC doesnt mean that no debate about the matter is permitted or that stuff still can't be wrong. And apparantly someone nailed something on your forehead, because this is like the 9023490390349509305935902123843298th time that someone told you this and you are still too dense to get it. Can you just quit it altogether and stop teaching people about an ecosystem that you clearly never understood yourself? On a second note, you can discuss your displease about how the modding ecosystem works in its own thread, not in map threads that are only reserved for discussions about the map self. If you fail to abide that, we will have to make sure that you simply never post in this threads again - ever.
Im sorry.
You probably dont know what is going on here, aside from the discussion about the map in question. Check your email.

Shiirn wrote:

Attacks and dissenting opinions towards a map are not necessarily personal attacks on the mapper. This is something everyone should try to remember, as it's very easy to feel as if your opinions are being disregarded when presented with conflicting ones.

Your maps are not you. They are not an extension of you, no matter what you may feel on the matter. They are something that are created, and once ranked have officially "grown up" - they're no longer under your control. Ranking a map is by definition ceasing all development and putting out a final, unchangeable copy. You'd best be ready for that.

Maps do not have feelings. Mappers do. People get pissed off when they feel their opinion is being disregarded, or when they feel people aren't giving them the respect "they deserve" by implying, or in many cases, outright saying, that they feel the mapper did something incorrectly.

The main conflicts people are bringing up with this map proper are based on what constitutes "proper representation of the song". The biggest nail of discord there is that the song itself is extremely messed up and hard to follow. As such, different levels of experience in music, listening, or even possibly physical gear (headphones, speakers, etc) can be causing massive changes in what each person hears in this track.

This is why I went to so much effort to point out how horrible this track was - not the map, not the mappers, the song itself. A song that has this much conflict over what even constitutes the basic rhythms and melodies really shouldn't have a difficulty over 6.5*. And that's being generous.
With the time the map becomes as an embodiment of its mapper's soul's expression. When somebody continuously tries to change it/nuke it, or just inhibit the ranking of it, the whole discussion becomes personal.
You cant deny anything from ^
It is truth for any map and any mapper that got some experience in mapping and the mapping itself for him (you, me, everyone) becomes an
expression of his feelings
that is personal. It is true for eveyone here who stopped mapping to the "beat" after realizing what mapping is in its advanced form.
AshbeII
Someone needs to watch more pishifat videos about jumps

But really can't the jumps be moved on actual beats and the spacings made more acceptable? that's all that people here want and I'm sure you can do that while mantaining your maps identity
Shiirn

-himei wrote:

With the time the map becomes as an embodiment of its mapper's soul's expression. When somebody continuously tries to change it/nuke it, or just inhibit the ranking of it, the whole discussion becomes personal.
You cant deny anything from ^
It is truth for any map and any mapper that got some experience in mapping and the mapping itself for him (you, me, everyone) becomes an
expression of his feelings
that is personal. It is true for eveyone here who stopped mapping to the "beat" after realizing what mapping is in its advanced form.
Modders who hate your maps are not clawing through the fabric of reality to tear at your soul. Your creation is intangible, it cannot be damaged or destroyed unless you let it be.

Just because it's important to you doesn't mean that you need to be a neurotic sociopath to protect it from things that cannot hurt it.

The same applies here. Personal attacks are pointless; attacking the map has purpose as the moment you push your map for ranking you are by your own choice putting it under review by opinions that are not your own. Being able to be objective and logical about your own emotions is literally what "maturity" is about.

If you truly wanted to have a map be a personal bastion of your feelings and soul, you would not try to rank it. They're mutually exclusive.
Sieg
fun and challenging style, don't hurt mapper's spirit please
hi-mei

Shiirn wrote:

Modders who hate your maps are not clawing through the fabric of reality to tear at your soul. Your creation is intangible, it cannot be damaged or destroyed unless you let it be.

Just because it's important to you doesn't mean that you need to be a neurotic sociopath to protect it from things that cannot hurt it.

The same applies here. Personal attacks are pointless; attacking the map has purpose as the moment you push your map for ranking you are by your own choice putting it under review by opinions that are not your own. Being able to be objective and logical about your own emotions is literally what "maturity" is about.

If you truly wanted to have a map be a personal bastion of your feelings and soul, you would not try to rank it. They're mutually exclusive.
You are missing the point that most of us (mappers) are ranking stuff to show everyone our perspective of view of music, and the feeling we are experiencing while listening to the song.
Same applies to you in first place.
and to me as well.
We can not just express all the stuff we are experiencing during the listening to the music in words or something. Mapping is the answer at most points of it, but huh... talking about "when you about to rank your map, get ready for it to be destroyed/modified at parts"
I think theres a borderline for "making things to become personal offense" and "improving the map".
Basically, as we all know here, the more attention map gets, the more opinions people expressing here about it, and the more chances for it to basically die, just because theres no distinct borderline of "what is good/bad", aside from RC/Code of conduct, which are vague at some points.
Which is confusing for mapper, cuz, you never know what is "optional enough" to skip or "bad enough" to change,, because, eventually, the more people comes, the more stuff you must respond to, the higher chance that you wont handle everything alone.
so in conclusion I can say that people here should distinguish the stuff that is bad, optional and their own opinion.
by making mods here, some (or maybe most) of you combining these 3 ^ into 1
which doesnt contribute anything good for mapper, for your reputation and for map itself.
idke
this discussion about mapping is more verbose and pretentious than the memes itself
Seni
mapping is literally the worst thing ever
Seijiro
You can express all the things you want, but ranking something means making it "official content of the game"
If you want to try out stuff do it, but don't pretend to make it for ranking x)

-himei wrote:

theres no distinct borderline of "what is good/bad", aside from RC/Code of conduct, which are vague at some points.
The BNg exists for that purpose. Like it or don't like it you have to pass their opinion and in this case, the community's too.

Is it bad? Ok
Is it optional? We can consider it
It is personal opinion? By all means it is accepted

Now, can you like... focus on the map instead of debating mapping itself here?

-himei wrote:

you never know what is "optional enough" to skip or "bad enough" to change,, because, eventually, the more people comes, the more stuff you must respond to, the higher chance that you wont handle everything alone.
Make a really good map to begin with and people will come praise you instead of complaining :p
If you can't "express" your vision in an easy-to-understand manner then you failed.
It's like... "are people not understanding what I'm saying or is it me who can't explain things?" kind of thing.

Anyway, I believe it is pointless to keep arguing on the meaning of or how people complains
Saileach
Press F to pay respects
Chippy
From my modding queue~~~

-Couldn't find anything wrong, great map! (o u o)b
chainpullz

MrSergio wrote:

If you can't "express" your vision in an easy-to-understand manner then you failed.
It's like... "are people not understanding what I'm saying or is it me who can't explain things?" kind of thing.
Quoting for emphasis even if it's a general statement not particularly directed at this map. It applies to much more than just mapping and is an important lesson everyone has to learn eventually so I feel it has value even if this "isn't the place for it."

To add a further example from experience as a software engineer, the time of your developers is generally one of your more valuable assets. Code that works but no one understands will just lead to net losses later on.

Aesthetics and clarity of expression aren't going to make or break a map but the lack of them is just going to lead to a lot of wasted time if/when anyone has to mod your map.
WORSTPOLACKEU
I have gone over this map many times and my opinion is that lots of stuff that is mentioned by Stjpa and other modders don't really improve the map in any way. Especially the kiai thing, what should he do there if he already built the map around that and used it in non-kiai version?

Maybe his "you're too bad to play the map so you don't know" actually could be applied here since I even asked some players about stuff that is mentioned in mods and I don't know, we don't see a problem and there is no need for further improvement? Unless you want to improve this map to infinity, which could be done for every map in existence.

Personally, I don't understand some things that are mentioned because when I play this map I do not see the problem while playing or in edit.
If needed later on I can mention those mods and talk about them but I just don't feel like it is needed right now

Imo there's a reason why there are playtests from appropriate players regarding all kinds of maps, yeah very experienced mappers can probably see most of the problems if there are any but they will not feel the same "awkward" movement while playing or think there IS one where it is not.
I base this assumption on the fact that I see many situations like that in maps that are mapped by very experienced mappers that are not really good players, these maps tend to have really awkward movements in random places because the mapper is focusing solely on the song sounds but not playability. I see this mostly in the case of jumps, where mappers just place random antijumps or after following a certain logic with the jumps like changing the direction at the same beats and randomly deciding to stop it and making antijump which is in a very random spot because "song changes" but that makes that part play really bad and it can be done in different ways to make the song play better.

This is the reverse case imo in some situations, sacrificing being 100% with the song to match the difficulty and make the diff less awkward in playing.
I think if there is anything that doesn't suit the song perfectly it is there for a reason, Raikozen is not a person who wouldn't think of why he put a certain rhythm or note in a certain spot.

I hope you will stop trying to improve this to infinity because it will not yield any results, this map can be better in everyones eyes in different ways but will it really be better if you change that little thing to your liking instead of Raiko's liking? Probably not seeing how the map is right now.
anna apple

Loctav wrote:

@-himei .
-himei your discussion here is pointless please take it somewhere else
Nao Tomori

WORSTPOLACKEU wrote:

Stuff
you missed the point entirely.

a map playing "well" (or comfortably, which is what you mean ofc) has absolutely nothing to do with its quality. it's really really easy to make a map that has a high star rating and plays perfectly comfortably since it uses exclusively sharp angles and has no major spacing changes, etc etc etc. that's what raikozen did here. there's nothing WRONG with doing that either.

the issue with this map that most people who modded it are talking about is from the theory side of it, where what "should be emphasized" is not and what "should be followed" is not. talking about how it plays is entirely irrelevant since any player that can play 8 star maps with some level of ability won't be put off by high spacing sharp angles or overmapped streams. therefore, people are talking about how raikozen could, in their opinion, use objects to represent the song better from a theory perspective.
Okoratu
especially naxess' mod pinpoints a few things that that have only been explained in weird ways (aka by kroytz instead of raikozen for a reason i don't get) or in ways that ended up getting removed from here

just throwing my own opinion into the mix tho, can't hurt lol. The layout of this map is questioned even by people that can't really play it (all i struggle with for example is streaming the 220 without warmup) that well because the map itself is very simplistic so judging the way it plays doesn't require you to do much besides being familiar with how movement through patterns works (unrelated: spaces to the list are just to separate separate throughts better and increase readability)

1. 00:13:572 (1,2) - i think going along the way 00:11:161 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6) - suggested which is going for following vocals would actually make that more predictable, you currently have 00:13:974 (2) - which is off-beat from that so using two 1/2 sliders would make more sense with your overall structure you had so far, also applies to 00:14:643 (1,2) - 00:15:715 (1,2) - doing this will enable you to have 00:16:786 (1,2) - stand out specifically and highlight that the vocals there are doing something different

2. 00:18:125 (1,2) - this is minor but the overlap is so much that it could make the pattern harder to read depending on the skin you're using, could try having the sliderhead of 2 more noticably outside of 1

3. 00:21:340 (2,3,1,2,3,4) - 00:24:286 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - idk throughtout this section you do seemingly arbitrarily lengths of 1/2 circles before using sliders again, like i get what layer of the music you're following with 00:20:000 (1,2,3,4,5) - , but for some of these it just seems you're mixing multiple layers of the song until it's unclear what rhythm you're actually trying to highlight, i'd advise to follow the melody primarily and only switch to the drum layer when it does something extravagant like it does in 00:26:965 (1,2,1,2) -

4. 00:23:215 (1,2) - 00:25:358 (1,2) - seem out of place considering that you don't do 1/1 slider in the section otherwise, they stand out by being different where the song doesn't really do anything different

5. 00:35:536 (3,4) - 00:31:518 (3) - shouldn't these be circles according to how you handled focuses on drums previously? using sliders for these seems kind-of wasted potential to me

6. 00:36:072 - to 00:40:358 - maps everything as one long stream with highlights on white ticks (aka the reversing sliders) which is kind-of disregarding that the song provides highs on 00:36:340 - 00:36:741 - 00:37:143 - 00:37:545 - 00:38:884 - , some of these are just left in the middle of sliders that start on white ticks for the sake of easy gameplay (assumption from my side) i think you could do more with this if you included a clearer focus on what you're primarily following through rhythm here

7. 00:59:911 (3) - according to your previous structure this one would probably make more sense as two circles as that would at least allow you to have 01:00:045 - as something that the player has to click.

8. 01:10:358 - starting here i am unsure what you're mapping the circle-only patterns to, you seem to fall back to mixing multiple layers of the song arbitrarily (at least i can't hear a clear thing that does constant 1/2 at the same intensity in these parts, because not even the vocal layer does that, so whatever you were going for with that it's not very clear) so having something that is in some way predictably following the song through rhythm would probably be better here. I think this is the main thing people take issue with, you mix multiple layers in order to have more circles in seemingly not that obvious ways so people don't really get what you're doing throughout most sections that involve lots of circles with almost the same spacing which leads people to believe you aren't trying to represent the song in any clear shape or fashion.

9. most of the chorus feels just like any of the previous sections with some slightly higher SV or is even easier, i don't know if this is what you were going for because the way i see it you generally intended the chorus to be more intense.

10. 01:47:858 (1,2,1,2) - isn't vocal intensity increasing while spacing is decreasing throughout this?

11. 02:10:893 (1,2,3) - this would be such a cool place for a break similarly to how you did 00:52:411 (3,4) -

12. 01:44:643 - a lot of your patterns are very circular, most obvious in the circle only patterns which just keep going on in the same direction for like 5 seconds sometimes. you could make a lot of the other patterns stand out more on their own if you e.g. change directions whenever the vocalist starts the phrase over in 01:45:447 - 01:46:250 - 01:47:054 - , right now everything with the exception of 01:46:920 (3,1,2) - which go back-forth, the entire pattern is clockwise and kind-of misses a chance to highlight that the vocalist is starting over the same phrase a lot by making all of these feel similar.
A lot of these things (especially the ones with general explanations) repeat throughout the map in the respectively similar sections, but pinpointing every example of this is way too tedious and wasted efforts if you happen to disagree with the reasoning i provided since the map is somewhat consistent within itself i'll assume you know where else you do this and how to go about fixing this stuff up if you agree with something
Kujinn
Sup.

[moph's Expert]
  1. From the song, 02:10:893 (3) - sounds like it could be a 1/1 slider and 02:12:500 (1) - could've been 2 1/2 sliders.
[Snow Drive Extreme]
  1. 03:52:143 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - This should really be following the vocals, there's no emphasis on the OOO~ part. I think you should revisit your Everlasting Memories Diff, there are some useful stuff like what you did to emphasis the OOO~.
[Raikozen's Everlasting Memories]
  1. 00:10:358 (1,2,3,4) - Why is it that you have 3 circles and a 1/1 slider here and decide to increase spacing between notes where there is no build up of intensity?
  2. 00:11:831 (1) - remove nc
  3. 00:11:965 (2) - nc
  4. 00:12:634 (1) - remove nc
  5. 00:12:768 (2) - nc
  6. 00:24:286 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - I think you should decrease the spacing between these notes since music became less intense.
  7. 00:30:715 (1) - change this sliders position, its better to give it more emphasis by not having it flow with 00:29:643 (1,2,3,4) -
  8. There's a strong sound here 00:37:545 - and here 00:37:947 - , you could map them as kicksliders?
  9. 00:44:643 (1,2) - blanket?
  10. I don't understand why you have huge jumps here 01:11:429 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - but not as big here where it makes sense to have large jumps 01:17:858 (1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2) -
  11. 01:43:974 (2) - x268 y23
  12. 02:51:072 (1,2,3) - try something else, it isn't very creative and music doesn't really support it.
  13. 02:59:643 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - a stream? why?
  14. 03:05:000 (1) - could be 1/2 and a circle, works better imo
  15. 03:25:625 (1) - why not end slider on blue tick?
  16. 03:35:000 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - lower distance between notes, jumps are quite large, music hasn't change from the last two kiai
  17. 03:43:572 (1,3) - that's a pretty ugly slider tbh and blanket
  18. 03:52:143 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,1) - look at suggestion I gave kroytz about this section.
Raikozen's diff does need a lot of work. In my opinion, I think it lacks creativity. Nothing in this diff stands out other than large spacing between notes. I really do feel it needs a remap.

Edit: sorry it seems like I'm just repeating what's already been said. I didn't really take the time to read previous mods.

Peace ~
Sparx555
Raikozen's Stop! Stop Winny Upload!!
00:22:947 (1) and 00:31:518 (3) - should be two circles because of the drums, and the density of 00:21:072 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4) and 00:24:286 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) should be reduced so they stand out instead of just being more circles. (it looks like you're following the drums here at least? Not sure)

00:30:983 (2) - and 00:31:518 (3) - NC to drums.

01:08:215 (1) - This is a strong sound in the music which should be emphasized, shouldn't put it under a sliderend when you use the same kind of pattern here 00:55:224 (6) for a weak sound.

01:09:688 (1,2,3,4,5) - This rythym is definitely wrong, the drums go like this: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7575845 (actual position of circles is just an example).

01:10:893 (1,2) - Every other set of 1/2 sliders in this part of the song starts on a big white tick up until 01:15:715 - where the vocals change a bit. It would make more sense to replace these sliders with circles, and the circles on 01:11:429 (1,2,3,4) - with sliders.

01:16:250 (1) - There should be a circlafter this to match 01:14:108 (1,2) - .

01:39:286 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - The other kiais use more linear 1,2 patterns, only this one uses 8 with circular flow like this. The other way seems better for emphasizing the drums.

01:50:536 (3) - This long slider is very out of place, every other 1/1 slider is emphasizing a vocal note but this one ends on one. A rythym more like https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7576134 would fit better.

02:09:822 (5,6) - Using the same curved/straight slider for both of these looks better I think. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7576151

02:18:929 (1) - No drum here.

02:19:331 (2) - No drum here.

02:24:286 (1) - You're ignoring a noticable drum sound on the red tick with this slider.

02:47:590 (4) - ctrl+j for extra symmetry aesthtics tbh https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7576198

02:52:679 (3,4) - Not making the player stop for a stack here would play better after 02:51:072 (1,2,3,1,2,1) - I think.

03:55:358 (1,2,1,2) - Make these parallel?

First attempt at modding. Hope to see this in ranked eventually, it's pretty cool. :D
Side
Haven't looked at the map and have no intention to but when a map thread gets like this post qualification it makes me feel bad for the mapper in question. I've been in their shoes and it really sucks trying to justify your logic vs theirs in an attempt to see whose is more flawed. One thing I suggest to those ppl is to look back at hanzer's miss you thread post-qualification. I know it's likely not the same case but there's a lot that can be said here as well and from prominent names in the mapping community at that.

As an addendum I'm not defending raikozen and wouldn't do so for personal reasons but I don't like seeing someone in this position being bashed by members of the community just for having a different mindset in mapping.
Loctav
Or maybe you just accept the fact that ranking very difficult maps is a very difficult thing to do. And that it is very hard to figure out if it is done right. If you are not up for the controversy and just want everyone to accept your very hard maps as they are, maybe you simply shouldn't map very hard maps and only stay with milder stuff that it easier to evaluate for everyone, including the mapper.
WORSTPOLACKEU

Nao Tomori wrote:

WORSTPOLACKEU wrote:

Stuff
you missed the point entirely.

a map playing "well" (or comfortably, which is what you mean ofc) has absolutely nothing to do with its quality. it's really really easy to make a map that has a high star rating and plays perfectly comfortably since it uses exclusively sharp angles and has no major spacing changes, etc etc etc. that's what raikozen did here. there's nothing WRONG with doing that either. It does, I'd rather see high star rating map that plays comfortably because of the angles than 5~~starish map that has awkward movements here and there. Also you missed my point a bit aswell but it doesn't really matter I guess.

the issue with this map that most people who modded it are talking about is from the theory side of it, where what "should be emphasized" is not and what "should be followed" is not. talking about how it plays is entirely irrelevant since any player that can play 8 star maps with some level of ability won't be put off by high spacing sharp angles or overmapped streams. therefore, people are talking about how raikozen could, in their opinion, use objects to represent the song better from a theory perspective.
I understand that, yet I think that if a map is qualified, it means it's good so unless something really breaking the map comes up it could be DQ'd but not when they mention theories about rhythms or different representation of the song that doesn't fit with Raiikozen's vision of the map and he has said so himself I believe and explained why he doesn't want to make it that way.
Also playing the map IS relevant. There is entirely different aspect to people that can play the map and people that can map AND play the map. Yeah the sharp angles make it comfortable but playing helps, it always does since that's what the map is done for. And yeah, I notice the overmapped streams or high spacing sharp notes if they are there, but if they fit with the song for example, overmap to make the flow better or to keep momentum, is a good idea and has been used in many maps.

Abt the map.
Only thing I find a bit awkward would be this 02:55:625 (1,2) - i would do something about the spacing 02:55:491 (2,1) - and the flow is very linear opposed to the 2x2 jumps after that that have a clear vision so this stands out as something. Your map is focused on sharp jumps, this is a linear flow which is really coming out of nowhere on the jumps and opposes your idea as a whole, players are introduced to the sharp angle jumps throughout the song, never is a linear flow that requires you to do 3 jumps in a row with the same movement in the song elsewhere. This stands out and while it looks like a good pattern it flows awkwardly.

03:16:652 (3) - You follow vocals all the time in this part when suddenly you decide to skip the vocal start there on 03:16:518 - While this plays well, it doesn't make sense with your current logic imo, should follow the vocals the way you did and maybe not give so much spacing to 03:17:322 (2) - as you did.

Suggestions:

01:15:179 (1,2) - I'd maybe reduce spacing here since I don't see a reason for this jump.

01:39:554 (3) - Maybe increase spacing to make this more prominent than the jump after this since I feel this should be the one that is more spaced.

01:43:974 (2) - try x363 y300 for this one, imo flows better, no awkward stop before the stream unless you want that! I'd do it that way to make the jump to the stream instead of putting it right beside it so it creates a stop movement, feels like the stop in movement should start on the stream not before.

01:45:849 (1) - Increase spacing a bit? 01:47:188 (2) - put this higher up stack with the note 01:46:518 (3) - imo for better flow in the jumps, I dislike the go-back to the same spot in that spot in the song. Then put 01:47:054 (1) - on x145 y150 and the pattern is following kind of the same logic it does at the beginning, don't know if that's what you want to go for but that would be my opinion.
Too much blabla there
Screens of how I would do this pattern ->
01:45:447 (1,2,3) - http://puu.sh/uLnHC/2f8314816b.jpg
01:45:849 (1,2,3) - http://puu.sh/uLnII/2524bd6598.jpg
01:46:250 (1,2,3) - http://puu.sh/uLnJ8/47a7b4aba4.jpg
01:46:652 (1,2,3) - http://puu.sh/uLnKh/f6edfeb797.jpg
01:47:054 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - http://puu.sh/uLnLq/5080158e56.jpg

That plays pretty well imo and keeps that same flow but I don't know, that's just my suggestion if you'd like to take it before req.

02:19:197 (1,1,1) - Make this look more consistent ion spacing between them ?
02:18:929 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - Also I feel that the ascending spacing is very irregular, the beat is kinda the same so either make same distance or ascend it by same amount because it goes from small jump to a big one into a little bit bigger one which imo doesn't make much sense.

02:26:965 (3) - Why not stack this on 02:27:366 (1) - to make a REALLY nice emphasis? It gives feel to the beat on the

03:27:500 (1) - Put it even lower, start on x198 y311 or something like that, fits really well with the vocal going down in pitch and the increased spacing for the next note after this slider fits really nice! Maybe even put 03:28:304 (4) - lower aswell but you lose the overlap that way so I don't know, I'd like the movement going more down as it ascends with the pitch even more than it is right now!
03:28:036 (3,4,1) - http://puu.sh/uLoFn/728b3a8a7b.jpg would place it like that!

Also noticed --> 03:28:036 (3,1) - woops, intentional? Angle is not the same there.

03:30:179 (1,2) - More spacing, all of your 2 jump sections here have increased spacing but this doesn't have that much more than the previous one, either make the previous one less or this one more, your call. I'd just move 03:30:313 (2) - more to the right and down

03:31:183 (3) - Don't know why triple out here because it gives nothing to the map except the forced triple, unless you have an idea with this I can't see I'd just do a jump or stacked jump on the slider.

03:37:009 (1) - x311 y44 ? smth like that? At the same time 03:37:947 (2) - x141 y131 I think those positions fit better.

03:41:429 (1,1,1,1) - What is the reason for NCing here, I'd rather NC spam short sliders after that because those are special and those sliders you NC spammed are normal and don't bring anything new to the map.

03:43:974 (2) - x277 y362 ples fits so good

03:47:188 (2) - How about placing it like that? http://puu.sh/uLpdg/47704ef24d.jpg
You blanket end of 03:47:858 (1) - at the same time, that's just a suggestion though your works aswell!

03:55:358 (1,2,1,2) - I dislike this random change at the end, it doesn't start anywhere, it just is there after all those crossjumps I'd do something else here
Possibly something like http://puu.sh/uLpnp/b67ecfe720.jpg

That's it for me I guess.
Topic Starter
Kroytz

Loctav wrote:

Or maybe you just accept the fact that ranking very difficult maps is a very difficult thing to do. And that it is very hard to figure out if it is done right. If you are not up for the controversy and just want everyone to accept your very hard maps as they are, maybe you simply shouldn't map very hard maps and only stay with milder stuff that it easier to evaluate for everyone, including the mapper.
Hmm I dunno~ The Promethean Kings seemed to make it look like a breeze and that's a 9.16* map :thinking: But I'll let that one slide

Anyways, I'm not so sure why there's a lot of theory talk for Raikozen's diff, after all, it's supposed to be difficult. Can you imagine seeing a 9* map of a TV Size anime song? It'd be ludicrous to think that it wouldnt be overdone with spacing or maybe even minor inconsistencies that can be pinpointed to the grave. But would it be considered overdone if that TV Size map had an 8* diff, a 7* diff, etc beneath it to make it suddenly more acceptable? Or would people only care about looking at one piece of the whole and say that it's just not possible?
There's comes a point where sacrifices are to be made in order to achieve something, and maybe the nominators in previous pages are saying that there may have been "too many" sacrifices for this level of difficulty to be achieved for my set. Of course Raikozen didn't respond very well in his posts to address the concerns of others but I mean, he did make an attempt to reason why he did things as he did.

This is all really just blown outta proportion and I respect Okorin's DQ along with the concerns of most who have posted already.
And for someone who believes this set belongs in the trash Stjpa, it's a bit hard to believe that you didn't want to start a little bit of ruckus on the forums lol, but I don't blame you xD. It just reminded me of a certain someone who "didn't want to start drama" and then proceeded to~ But I'm glad we had a talk on discord, just wished things were handled a bit more mature on thread is all.
Shiirn
Let me personally make my feelings on the matter, again, extremely simple.

This track, Snow Drive, has so much equalization and white noise that there is next to no way for any mapper, regardless of skill level, to properly create rhythms that will undeniably follow "the music" to a level where both players and modders will be satisfied.

In other words, the track itself is just too flat and unadorned to properly allow for the kind of emphasis that allows for a very challenging or difficult map. All that players really hear are the repeating three-beat drum samples and the out-of-sync vocals, and these do not make for a very reliable or fitting metronome to have cross-screen jumps or made-up rhythms and streams.

If you want to make a hard map, choose a song that fits it and works well with that theme. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to figure out. I really, really don't get it so please help me out here.
WORSTPOLACKEU
But the creator interpreted this song the way he mapped it, if the argument that this song doesn't fit a hard difficulty would be valid we would have many fewer maps. Isn't it up to the creator to interpret the music as he does? Personally I think this fits, the crossjumps fit well with the lyrics intensity thinking of the pitch in contrast to other singing so that's a good spot for those jumps.
jas
mod for hardest diff!!

adsf raikozen or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naduAbrBnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZ0_MrdSFM

ok GL getting this ranked!!! REally love the song

this is a meme btw dont get triggered
Asphyxia
I wanted to point out few things in Raikozen's difficulty, hopefully I don't repeat things too much what others have been saying already.

1. The spacing you used for your jumps outside of the kiais could be toned down a little bit. I feel like the kiais lose a lot of power because your jumps feel quite similar from section to another. Especially stuff like 00:26:429 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - , 01:17:858 (1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2) - and 02:18:929 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - .
  2. 02:39:688 (2) - This slider feels really odd because it doesn't really get supported by anything. I think a better solution to this would be to 02:39:688 - put a note here and then make 02:39:822 - clickable because that sound is way stronger than 02:39:688 - . Sliders like 02:41:831 (2) - are fine though because a vocal clearly starts at the red tick.
  3. 03:50:402 (2) - Would be cool if this had the same shape as 03:50:000 (1) - so the pattern would be more aesthetically pleasing but that can be a bit hard because 2's body would go off-grid a lot.
  4. I agree with Okorin about the rhythm stuff like 00:21:340 (2,3,1,2,3,4) - 00:24:286 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - and 01:10:358 - .
  5. I also agree with Polack on 02:55:491 (2,1,2) - , was awkward because you used a lot of sharp angles in your map so that threw me off.
Gl getting it re-qualified~
show more