Backfire wrote:

are you guys retarded lol what the fuck is this pool

what is a 7* doing in group stage lol
Backfire

Pohm wrote:

Backfire wrote:

exactly, this is all honestly strange and some answers would be nice because this is not at all what should normally be here. Did they accidentally post semifinals?
popopo

Pohm wrote:

Backfire wrote:

lolololol scattered faith on grandfinal?
*hypehypehype
pmriva

Rufoel wrote:

Hi. I registered for TWC2017 but according to my captain I'm not on the candidates list. Can I get information on what happened?
Rufoel:https://osu.ppy.sh/u/7178799
:(
i try to ask by email tournaments@ppy.sh but nobody answered me

Hey that happened to me too
i ask them by email too and their reply is not helping at all
i am disappointed because i got no explanation, i dont feel like i broke the rule for the past 1 year

Some answers would be nice

Niko-nyan wrote:

Backfire wrote:

that's the most of us thinking right now :thinking:

also whats wrong with the pool, 7* on a group stage rofl

Good luck to everyone who parcitipated :)
lop

pmriva wrote:

Rufoel wrote:

Hi. I registered for TWC2017 but according to my captain I'm not on the candidates list. Can I get information on what happened?
Rufoel:https://osu.ppy.sh/u/7178799
:(
i try to ask by email tournaments@ppy.sh but nobody answered me

Hey that happened to me too
i ask them by email too and their reply is not helping at all
i am disappointed because i got no explanation, i dont feel like i broke the rule for the past 1 year
Some answers would be nice

Same here

By the way can you staff upload mappack to mega instead mediafire? mediafire was blocked in china :<
tkdLolly

lop wrote:

By the way can you staff upload mappack to mega instead mediafire? mediafire was blocked in china :<
I'm sure you can just download the maps one by one. If you don't know already, all the links are available on the wiki page. :idea:
Jaye
I'm actually so glad the mappool for group stage is much harder this year. Players and teams in general have been getting better all-around and it's nice to see that this year's group stage won't be just another accuracy war where the results are either choke or SS tie.
tkdLolly

Jaye wrote:

I'm actually so glad the mappool for group stage is much harder this year. Players and teams in general have been getting better all-around and it's nice to see that this year's group stage won't be just another accuracy war where the results are either choke or SS tie.
Well it still kind of is an accuracy war considering how score v2 dampens misses and some maps have such demanding rhythms :?: :roll:

Not sure if most are glad to see the much harder mappool :? even if players and teams in general have been getting better :|
Nwolf
Also the 7* map is actually one of the easier maps in the pool
Senritsu

Nwolf wrote:

Also the 7* map is actually one of the easier maps in the pool
True though

But the rest feels inhuman to be put on a GS :\
Ekoro
this is actually good to see, although low seeds team are probably going to cry over the maps

we can already see promising matchs on -already- difficult maps, and they're going to be even harder as the tournament progress
can't wait to see Japan playing 9* on match
Garpo
I know where you were trying to go with the map pool and all but this is straight up UNFAIR to lower and middle seeds.

Last year, the maps for GS were easy yes but compared to this year, you can't expect any of the lower seed and most of the middle seed to get close to passing most of these maps. The maps last year gave everyone a fighting chance at least, but this is just cruel to those who wanted to play and enjoy it even if they'll get knocked out because they might as well bash on their keyboard because it'd be the same as attempting to play the difficult patterns in these technical maps.
Rufoel
gg
Catgirl
what happens if all players fail tiebreaker and tie with a 0-0 score? cause it will probably happen if there's a TB between mid and low seed in group stage.

do they play again with NF???
Alwaysyukaz
Still Haven't idea why the map selector pick diff around *6 - *7 in GS
and yeah I'd like to see the Galaxy Collapse as the Mappol in next week lol if the Mappol has no changed
Nardoxyribonucleic
I agree that TWC map pool should be way harder than before, but not in this scale lol. In Group Stage we already have maps of 6 to 7 star difficulty, so most of the mid and low seeds would have a hard time handling them and could be simply thrown out. :o

TWC 2017 GS = TWC 2016 Semifinals
Edgar_Figaro
Yeah imo a good difficulty increase from one year to the next is move all mappoold up one week and make a harder mappool for grand finals (same difficulty not same maps) So groups stage mappool this year would be equivalent to Ro16 mappool last year, Ro16 would be equivalent to last year's quarterfinals ect. But as it is currently the group stage is more like semi-finals from last year. At this rate we could expect to see grand finals difficulty in quarterfinals? I don't even want to know what insanity would be in grand finals mappool with that progression, technical 11 star maps?
Jerry
yo just wanna clarify something about the new freemod rules

it says that at least 1 player from each team needs to have mods on, so does that mean if the map has "HD/HDHR" written behind a map (in this case being Der Wald), only one player from the team needs either HD or HDHR on and the other two can play with nomods?
Kurokotei
Fujin Rumble and Epidermis got updated, please update if you didn't already!
Juuryoushin
Tfw I'm completely dead but I still see one of my maps in the pools
Stefan
Oh boy, here we go again. 2017 Compilation incoming
Cyclohexane
i'll be following this one from a distance, good luck to all participants
Topic Starter
Loctav
wiki updated! give it a bit to populate!
Catgirl
funny that the goal of the initial version of scorev2 was to stop people from using no finisher skins when in the tiebreaker even more people are gonna use them than before lolol
Niko-nyan

Catgirl wrote:

funny that the goal of the initial version of scorev2 was to stop people from using no finisher skins when in the tiebreaker even more people are gonna use them than before lolol
that's the truth :( rip
Backfire
Score V2 Top Ten Anime Betrayals
Topic Starter
Loctav
Team Support Profile Banners are up for sale! http://store.ppy.sh/store/product/192

All money raised goes into funding the prizes for the podium winners. If your supported team wins the world cup, you can even keep your banner a bit longer!
Topic Starter
Loctav
and wiki has been updated! give it a bit to populate
Asagi Mutsuki
wow
kouzuki_karen

cdhsausageboy wrote:

wow
[Lunatic Elf]
R.I.P osulive T^T
Topic Starter
Loctav
the wiki has been updated!
Topic Starter
Loctav
and again me, with another update. fancy
Backfire
Just wanna say this pool is over the line and i really feel bad for the players in this one.
Alchyr
Just my personal perspective on this twc.

The main purposes of twc should be
A. A place for some of the best players of taiko mode to compete in a FUN and fair way
B. A place for players to watch some of the best taiko players compete

Right now, it doesn't really do these very well.

A. I know there have been plenty of comments that the mappool is way too hard, and it's unfair and unbalanced. I do have to agree with this. The problem isn't just that the maps are hard though, and that players can't pass them. The winning team is still proven to be better. The problem is that, it isn't fun at all. Yes, this is a competition showcasing amazingly skilled players, but it's also a game. Balancing a mappool around the very best players or the goal of "the hardest maps that are still passable" results in a pool nobody likes. People don't play taiko to memorize maps just so they can have a chance of passing them. They play to enjoy the game. Probably. If players are literally unable to pass a map without practicing it, or even unable to pass even if they do, it just results in frustration, and people quitting taiko. Someone I know was frustrated enough to do so. For example, HR Freedom Dive. Only one player, the #1 global taiko player passed it in the Taiwan vs Japan match. It's just... not fun. The mappool should be at a level where most players, playing for the first time, could at least pass. And that's what I would honestly prefer; if maps were revealed on the day of the competition. Then it would actually be a test of reading and skill, rather than who practiced and memorized the pool most.

B. Second, while hard maps are cool and all, do you really think the audience wants to watch people struggling just to pass, or giving up in the middle? It's not fun to play, and it's not fun to watch.

It's fine to have some insanely hard maps, for the groups that can play them. But please, also balance it with more reasonable maps for everyone else, because at its core, osu! is a game. And games are meant to be fun.

Sorry for the wall of text. :?
Ekoro
giving my two cents as well

the fact is that even among the best teams (to me, taiwan/japan are the two best teams of the game), there's too much difference in raw skill. just look at _yu casually doing very good on every map while his teammates sometimes can't even follow (quoting freedom dive here, actually that's the only map where we can see it).

from this world cup, we should just conclude that mappool should be adapted to one (or more) team instead of a few "very good players".
as a player who likes to play hard maps, i liked this mappool because it's really challenging and i'd like to test myself against the best players on these maps. but i have to admit that it's just way too hard for some players who can't even pass them.

i'm fine with having a much harder mappool in general because the past years were just too easy and it could be a matter of shitmissing/accuracy only. i personally think that:

1. group stage mappool should be moved to round of 16
  2. round of 16 mappool should be moved to quarterfinals
  3. ... and such.
  4. however the semifinals pool seems too easy for finals matches, so maybe a buff would be required.
memory is also a part of the difficulty itself, as you need to prepare for a lot of SV changes and stuff. FREEDOM DiVE might be too much, but that's "basically" memory as the long streams are all the same. it used to be even more retarded than this (higher HP and higher SV). if you get a mappool, you have one week to play the maps and train them (and since you're in a team, you aren't even supposed to play all the maps). i do think that i can pass most of the pool, with a little bit of practice.

some "sightread" tournament could be interesting though, why not, but maybe this isn't what staff isn't looking for? and we would literally ban most maps with some ninja SV/spinners because everyone would miss on them.

this is a world cup which tests the best players of each country. i admit that on the matches it rely a little bit too much on individual skill & single pass, though. to defend the mapset selectors, they tried something new this year which might not have been too good, it happens. just wait for the next year to show the same system but even better

tl;dr even if i liked the idea of much higher difficulty, every pool should be slightly nerfed to keep something somewhat challenging while allowing most players to play the map.
Topic Starter
Loctav
wiki has been updated, by the way.
He Ang CTB

Alchyr wrote:

Just my personal perspective on this twc.

The main purposes of twc should be
A. A place for some of the best players of taiko mode to compete in a FUN and fair way
B. A place for players to watch some of the best taiko players compete

Right now, it doesn't really do these very well.

A. I know there have been plenty of comments that the mappool is way too hard, and it's unfair and unbalanced. I do have to agree with this. The problem isn't just that the maps are hard though, and that players can't pass them. The winning team is still proven to be better. The problem is that, it isn't fun at all. Yes, this is a competition showcasing amazingly skilled players, but it's also a game. Balancing a mappool around the very best players or the goal of "the hardest maps that are still passable" results in a pool nobody likes. People don't play taiko to memorize maps just so they can have a chance of passing them. They play to enjoy the game. Probably. If players are literally unable to pass a map without practicing it, or even unable to pass even if they do, it just results in frustration, and people quitting taiko. Someone I know was frustrated enough to do so. For example, HR Freedom Dive. Only one player, the #1 global taiko player passed it in the Taiwan vs Japan match. It's just... not fun. The mappool should be at a level where most players, playing for the first time, could at least pass. And that's what I would honestly prefer; if maps were revealed on the day of the competition. Then it would actually be a test of reading and skill, rather than who practiced and memorized the pool most.

B. Second, while hard maps are cool and all, do you really think the audience wants to watch people struggling just to pass, or giving up in the middle? It's not fun to play, and it's not fun to watch.

It's fine to have some insanely hard maps, for the groups that can play them. But please, also balance it with more reasonable maps for everyone else, because at its core, osu! is a game. And games are meant to be fun.

Sorry for the wall of text. :?
Very well structured and clearly explained, couldn't agree more.
show more