forum

I Wanna Be The Guy

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Duoprism
http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

Taken from the website:
I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game is a sardonic loveletter to the halcyon days of early American videogaming, packaged as a nail-rippingly difficult platform adventure. Players fill the role of The Kid, a youthful, vaguely Megaman-esque protagonist on a quest to become The Guy. This inscrutable plot, however, is just a vehicle for a wide variety of inventive, well-designed and frustrating jump-and-shoot challenges that pay homage to many of the games you loved as a child. The ever-fragile Kid explodes in a shower of red pixels at the slightest brush from the game's many obstacles, from traditional spikes and bottomless pits to more unconventional killers, such as plantlife and puzzle pieces.

Using a multiroute layout not unlike a Metroidvania, the game grants a degree of deadly exploration, without those extraneous upgades meant to make life easier. The game provides players with a choice in terms of their deathrate, thanks to a variable difficulty setting that changes the number of save points from frequent to nonexistent. IWBTG is open to all players; knowledge of videogaming history is optional, and may not help against the frequently ironic and always sadistic deathtraps located herein. And so, the question is left up to you...

Do YOU have what it takes to be The Guy?
Loginer
I can't beat Mecha Birdo. D:
lukewarmholiday

Loginer wrote:

I can't beat Mecha Birdo. D:
YoshiKart
8-bit Link is evil. -_-'
Nekorom
Dracula's true form still makes me laugh
Loginer
I wish someone would make a really hard platformer without unpredictable events. IWBTG has those really hard moments every now and then, but they always end with something unpredictable to kill you in the end. Besides, a game relying purely on surprises for difficulty (*coughsyobonactioncough*) ends up being easy when you've memorized everything, so it's not like it would remove anything. :/
donnii

Nekorom wrote:

Dracula's true form still makes me laugh
Yeah~ I lol'd at that xD
I thought that there's another fight but well.. he transformed into a
Little Twerp that looks like kirby? bah, he's more like an oval shaped pokemon to me.

I finished that game before.. took me like 2000-4000 deaths but too bad the death counter has a limit of 500 :(
Nice game btw~ very frustrating and funny. (lol tetris)

EDIT: Forgot to say..
After waiting on the credits(At the end of the game when the kid is walking with a bunch of trees) sometimes, the big tree at the end of the road drops an apple and you might die in there... well what to do? dodge it 0.o
If you died then you'll have to face "the Guy" again(which is sooo annoying)
MusicFan

carbajosa wrote:

EDIT: Forgot to say..
After waiting on the credits(At the end of the game when the kid is walking with a bunch of trees) sometimes, the big tree at the end of the road drops an apple and you might die in there... well what to do? dodge it 0.o
If you died then you'll have to face "the Guy" again(which is sooo annoying)
I remember seeing someone on youtube get here (after going insane in some places)and he just let him die, lol.
After having the amount of frustration he had, who wouldn't just say "darn you" and let him die?

He is now working on a game of his own, and had the one who challenged him to do IWTBTG test it.
Go look up "Cloud plays IWTBTG" for the vids.
adam2046
What was so hard about mecha birdo? I beat him/her on my fourth try.
[deleted user]
I've beaten IWBTG on hard mode with 179 deaths iirc.
It can get pretty frustrating at times though. I'd like to see some one beat it on impossible mode, which has no save points at all (I've seen videos of people getting pretty far on impossible though.)
Ashura43
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Larto
*revives topic for no real reason*

So I finally got around to playing this, too.

I'm stuck at that spot where you start walljumping. I always die because of the rolling spike thingy and because I suck at walljumps.

No comment :|
cassarenas
I swear I just gave up when I got the YOU JUMPED INTO A SWORD, YOU RETARD! part. I really felt like one.
Celestral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Neo@lex
I just re-downloaded this and it's completely different to how it was when I played it last. What happened to all the levels?
Disregard that. I fixed it.
Derekku

Larto wrote:

I'm stuck at that spot where you start walljumping. I always die because of the rolling spike thingy and because I suck at walljumps.

That's where I got stuck. I'd get ALMOST to the save point at the end and die :(
Katasaki_old
Gonna try it. :3
ktgster
I wanna be the Guy is like Hard as Hell.
Bowser is like EVIL and even Willy and Wart.
Mecha Birdie was easy on my 1st try. But Dracula raped me 90 times.
Try beating the final boss. IT IS FUCKING HARD
That big green fighting monster took me 50 tries until I found a glitch TO WIN.
THIS IS A REALLY INSANE GAME
ktgster

Derekku Chan wrote:

Larto wrote:

That's where I got stuck. I'd get ALMOST to the save point at the end and die :(

Wall jumping is pretty easy if you get use to it but the APPLES SCREW ME OVER SO BAD.
Even the rolling spikes are annoying.
I did pass it now. But the next part is INSANELY HARD and took me 60 tries to get to the dam boss because of the Wall jumps and Spikes
kuwarudo
What if Megaman was as hard as IWBTG??
adam2046
I was discussing this a few days ago, and the way I see it IWBTG isn't really that hard, you just die alot, I think it's actually on par in difficulty with Mega Man.
kuwarudo
Yeah, well, I just hate the fact that you die at one fucking hit.
Sy[K]es
Lol, i give up on that game already BUT!
Good Luck Playing It:3

:D
Pokebis
Lol, i post in a thread that's two years old BUT!
At Least He Didn't Make A New One :3

:D
ddrXero64
Jeezus this thread is old! Then again, I revived a thread of FFR once from 2003 LOLOL (it was months ago I revived it too). But uhh, this game was pretty difficult. lol at thread revivals haha

Edit: wow this is the second time the thread was revived haha, it's only two pages long!
Vext_old
I never made it past Mike Tyson. Also, SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD!
Void
I remember this from a long time ago.

i still wonder how I managed to beat Very Hard to this day.
show more