forum

///

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
keidhone
Yyorshire
Are you a mania player? It sounds like you play standard, so I would recommend putting your question in the right forum
DivineKiro
If your playing the normal osu you can go into settings and turning background dim up to 100%, it will help a lot with being able to see the notes better :D
Tripletth
If you're clicking circles then stop that immediately and start playing 9k mania exclusively since any other mode is not worth your time.
Topic Starter
keidhone
//
[Gaia]_old
k = keys, as in the number of keys/arrows/bars that appear on your screen when you play a mania map, the 2 most popular ones being 4k and 7k
Topic Starter
keidhone

[Gaia] wrote:

k = keys, as in the number of keys/arrows/bars that appear on your screen when you play a mania map, the 2 most popular ones being 4k and 7k

Thank you ! :)
Runiel
Topic Starter
keidhone

Runiel wrote:

thank you :D
Yyorshire
If you're interested in mania then (which you should be, it's objectively the best gamemode), some basic things would be to fix your scroll speed by turning off BPM scaling in the options, and then finding a scroll speed that suits you. You can do this by either switching to mania in the menus and hitting Ctrl +/- or by starting a song in mania and using F3/F4. From my initial experience I used around 12-16, but you can use whatever suits you best.

Other than that just get a good feeling for the game as it can take a little while and decide what keymode you want to play (4k,5k,7k etc.). If you want to play every single one that's fine too, just know that the majority of maps are in 4k or 7k.

Try to give mania a chance because it really is the best gamemode, and I hope you have some fun!
Topic Starter
keidhone
//
lunaion

SAEQIA wrote:

Since my space bar doesn't really work, I am going to stick with 4k :lol:
Thank you again !
The spacebar key is hard to get used to when playing 7k but it will eventually click if you keep playing 7k maps. Also, you shouldn't play autoconverts (maps that are meant for osu!standard) as the patterns are quite limited, you should download maps that are made for mania instead.
Bobbias

lunaion wrote:

SAEQIA wrote:

Since my space bar doesn't really work, I am going to stick with 4k :lol:
Thank you again !
The spacebar key is hard to get used to when playing 7k but it will eventually click if you keep playing 7k maps. Also, you shouldn't play autoconverts (maps that are meant for osu!standard) as the patterns are quite limited, you should download maps that are made for mania instead.
Seconding this advice. You won't notice it much at easier difficulties (although there are still some noticeable differences) but if you start playing slightly harder stuff (probably something like 2.5+ stars) you'll notice a pretty big difference in patterns between maps made for mania, and autoconverts.

And I would also like to point out that if you ever want to learn to play 7k, it's best to start learning it right away. Don't try to learn 4k first if you plan on learning to play 7k, because that actually makes it more frustrating to learn. 7k takes longer to see improvement in the beginning, and that can be really discouraging if you're used to improving more quickly in 4k. However, learning 7k will help make learning a lower key mode like 4k easier.

As for key layouts in mania, feel free to change the layouts around and find what feels comfortable. Some players use layouts that look like zx ./ instead of dfjk for 4k. I play with we op for 4k, and sdf space iop for 7k. A small number of players use layouts that look like sdf jkl; with the middle key on j instead. Players using this arrangement use their index finger for the middle key, and their pinky for the 7th column, instead of the ring finger.

Another thing to remember about scroll speeds is that you don't need to stick to the same speed all the time. If you feel like something is more difficult to read, you might want to try lowering your scroll speed a bit and see if that helps. It's also worth trying to increase your scroll speed once you feel very comfortable with your current speed. Many new players slowly work their way up to higher speeds as they get better at the game. Higher speeds mean there are less notes on the screen, which can make it easier to read more dense (fast) songs. Of course, most people also get to a point where they don't feel like they need to increase the speed any more (or don't want to) as well.

Some terms from osu!mania:

LN = Holds. Stands for Long Note. Also sometimes called Noodles
ET = Extra Terrestrial = So good you're not human.
Rice = Patterns that don't contain LNs. Sometimes also called BMS patterns.
BMS = Beatmania/LR2 charts. Beatmania another rhythm game. LR2 is a simulator for the game that runs on computers, and has a large community making their own charts (similar to osu).
O2Jam = An old 7k rhythm game. Not many people still play, but there are a few. Their charts tend to have a lot of LNs.
SV = Slider Velocity = Speed Change. the term Slider Velocity comes from std osu. In std, when you add specific kind of speed change, it changes how fast the sliders move. In every mode it does something different, and in mania, it changes the speed that the song scrolls. Mappers can also change the scroll speed by changing the actual BPM.