forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
ReTLoM
for slowdowns i usually play the song a few times listen closely to the music, and than i play slow parts "just" by listening to the music feel the rhythm and play what i see cant really describe but it helps me allot to know the song
Yume_no_Yuusha
Thanks for the guide.

I'm really a noob before I see your guide. and now.. I can messed up
with 3~4* in mania. I'm looking to play with you someday.
decoy-
Bobbias
Everyone learns at a different speed, so yes that's pretty normal. If you were Sing things like empress SHD after 3 months, that would be extremely fast.
decoy-
Bobbias
If you're hitting the wrong key, you're not actually reading it correctly. When I watch staiain play, I can 'read' the patterns he's playing. That is, I can understand what the patterns are when I watch him play, but if you asked me to play with that scroll speed, I would not be able to react fast enough to play even easy maps because I can't actually read the patterns.

When you press the wrong key, this happens when your brain cannot read the notes fast enough to actually figure out the correct finger to press. Instead, your brain just picks a finger and hopes it gets it right.

Of course, your brain can still make these mistakes once in a while even when you're perfectly capable of reading a pattern, but these usually result in a single missed note or 2 through an entire song.

Reading is something that you develop over time. As far as I can tell, the best way to train your ability to read is to avoid playing the same songs over again as much as possible. Learning to sightread beatmaps (in other words, learning to play completely new maps you've never seen before) will help develop reading skill faster than if you played the same few maps over and over.

3 months is still quite new to the game, so don't worry too much about it, you will keep getting better for a while no matter what you do.
decoy-
yetii

ooux wrote:

Many thanks , i suppose i just have to practice more and more . Just by the way already did A ond the Team Grimoire - C18H27NO3 and after one week of relax i can play bit harder maps .
Yea just play alot, you will get the hang of patterns the more you play which allow you to play harder maps using the same patterns but faster or slightly more complex. It's important that you 'master' your appropriate skill level before jumping to a harder diff and never looking back at easier charts.

Just don't worry too much about improving as fast as you can, otherwise you will lose motivation when u hit a skill wall which will probably cause you to stagnate even more.
Bobbias

Yetified wrote:

It's important that you 'master' your appropriate skill level before jumping to a harder diff and never looking back at easier charts.
It is, but you also need to be sure that you fall into the trap of focusing on accuracy over everything else. Too much focus on perfecting scores on easy maps ends up making improvement extremely slow. The key is to find a balance of pushing your skill and improving your fundamentals.
ReTLoM
Hi personaly i never focused on Accuracy oWo maybe it is just a bad habbit from o2Jam but i dont realy care about my ACC.
Maps i mostly Play when im warm looks like this afeter 2years of playing arround 5* in 7k
https://puu.sh/rx9Td/84a63a2931.jpg
some 6* like the ranked dreadnout are also possible got an A there!
What i experienced over my 2years is ACC in tearms of hitting Things will come by it self to a certain Point like here:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/6354810
https://puu.sh/ruc3q/dc6baa2121.jpg
But my Ratio is almost in every map range 50%/50% on easy maps 30%/70% i think if you want to improve Ratio it is importand to Focus on it!
For me, i want to get in the lvl 70-80 range in o2jam as fast as possible at least for me besides work and stuff. Once iam there i just stay until i get a good Ratio or maybe i can get it on the way because i like so many Song in this lvl range and i also like the maping style Noodles every where. ;)

I hope it was understandable sorry for my poor englisch.
Bobbias
Hey ReTLoM. I don't focus on acc either. I found out with an experiment years ago that when I do, I very quickly lose the ability to play anything hard, and the improvement to accuracy is way too slow compared to the speed that I lose my ability to play hard things which makes it completely useless for me.
genkicho
Is osumania (4k) a real rythm game now? :/
If not ( still too easy ) please list some 4k hard rythm games .
Extremity
Does anyone have a pack or list of LN heavy maps for 4 and 7k? Preferably around the 2.5-3* range. I'm trying hard to get better at them but while I'm improving at other things whenever a map starts throwing them at me my acc goes out the window and it's frustrating :o
Caput Mortuum

genkicho wrote:

easy or hard depends on the map, not the game.
genkicho

Eraser wrote:

genkicho wrote:

easy or hard depends on the map, not the game.
Yea i know :/
I mean the ranked map compared to other 4k rythm game.
I've never seen any 4k PC rythm game other than SM and osu
Caput Mortuum
If you want "ranked" hard maps, try private servers. Unranked maps give pp there.

For 4k games, i don't know, haven't seen many too... The ones I know are O2Jam U and SDVX. Though sdvx isn't actually 4k.

boh123321 wrote:

Does anyone have a pack or list of LN heavy maps for 4 and 7k? Preferably around the 2.5-3* range. I'm trying hard to get better at them but while I'm improving at other things whenever a map starts throwing them at me my acc goes out the window and it's frustrating :o
Try this thread. t/191952
Skelif

Drace wrote:

For starters, I really recommend playing other games like lr2 or o2jam because this game tends to enforce bad habits with it's mechanics that mostly impedes your progress.
This is not the first time I read something like this, but every time it comes up nobody explains what these "bad habits" actually are. Can someone elaborate on this?
yetii

Skelif wrote:

Drace wrote:

For starters, I really recommend playing other games like lr2 or o2jam because this game tends to enforce bad habits with it's mechanics that mostly impedes your progress.
This is not the first time I read something like this, but every time it comes up nobody explains what these "bad habits" actually are. Can someone elaborate on this?

spamming, this game doesnt care if you spam (kinda) while you get punished very hard for spammming in lr2 and o2jam

i think
Bobbias
LR2 and O2Jam operate very differently. In LR2, there is the Poor Judgement, which I believe is triggered when you press WAY too early. IIRC Poors reduce your life like a miss would, making spamming through difficult sections essentially impossible since you'd end up killing yourself by pressing keys that have notes coming up soon. In LR2, I believe LNs work similarly to stepmania (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I think they require you to press in the beginning, but do not require lifting right at the end of the LN. I have no idea how releasing early works, or if repressing does anything in LR2, so someone who actually knows about LR2 will have to cover that.

In O2Jam, you can actually spam notes pretty well. The judgement windows are very lenient, so BMS style patterning (patterns with lots of notes, but not LNs) is pretty easy to spam. On the other hand, LNs in O2Jam are much harder than LR2 or o!m. Even though the timing windows are easier, in O2, you can't repress an LN. If you make any mistake on an LN it counts a miss immediately. On top of that, you are required to press the LN at the beginning, and release at the end, like in o!m, but with much stricter health when it comes to LNs. Missing hurts a lot, and holding LNs does not increase your health over time like in o!m. LN mechanics and the fact that starting around level 30, most charts have a fair bit of LNs, mean that anything with LNs requires you to play the LNs legit (IE not spam).

In short, both games have some element of the mechanic that makes it harder to spam through their charts, neither of which are present in osu!mania.
Kempie

Bobbias wrote:

In LR2, I believe LNs work similarly to stepmania (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I think they require you to press in the beginning, but do not require lifting right at the end of the LN. I have no idea how releasing early works, or if repressing does anything in LR2, so someone who actually knows about LR2 will have to cover that.
In LR2, you are judged for timing the press as well as the release. You are judged once, I suppose based on a combination of your press/release timing. If you press too late or release too early, the LN is missed. Missed LNs cannot be repressed.

Bobbias wrote:

On the other hand, LNs in O2Jam are much harder than LR2 or o!m
I don't know too much about O2Jam, but I'm pretty sure LNs are equally hard in both games when ignoring timing windows. I'm also pretty sure LR2's timing windows for LNs are slightly harder, maybe depending on the song's timing difficulty.
ReTLoM
no LNs in o2jam are WAY harder

on HX you die within 34 misses even less with bads they remove more life than a miss and recover from almost ded to full life in like 1.5k combo around 50 combo for each miss depends on your cool rate. if you miss the starting point of a LN you receive 2 misses or you SPAM it you will get 1 bad 1 miss and die very very quickly in lr2 and osu you can pretty much spam you way thru a LN wall
sweetbravery
can I ask here?
how to read hard pattern (*4 or more) on 4k mode?
can you suggest me how to impruv that?
ReTLoM
keep playing a lot you will learn it by time
dennischan
What makes a player an advanced player?
I've been playing for about 1 year, and I can almost clear 7k 2nd dan on Osu!(95.2%), while clearing the 8th easy dan on LR2
I can do the 3rd dan of 4k in Osu!, and got 6 dan in the 4k LN dan in Osu!
I can play the patterns (somewhat) in the pattern list in the advanced category
But OFC I still cant do any ET maps except when half timed and/or with easy

SO does that make be an advanced player?
yetii

dennischan wrote:

What makes a player an advanced player?
I've been playing for about 1 year, and I can almost clear 7k 2nd dan on Osu!(95.2%), while clearing the 8th easy dan on LR2
I can do the 3rd dan of 4k in Osu!, and got 6 dan in the 4k LN dan in Osu!
I can play the patterns (somewhat) in the pattern list in the advanced category
But OFC I still cant do any ET maps except when half timed and/or with easy

SO does that make be an advanced player?
Well first off all 'advanced player' is just some random bullshit title the author used to describe a category of players, it doesn't really have clear outlines.
Second of all, whether you think of yourself as an advanced player or not is entirely up to you, I like to set my bar high to push myself but if you think u have good basic knowlegde at the game with decent skill than sure.
Bobbias

ReTLoM wrote:

no LNs in o2jam are WAY harder

on HX you die within 34 misses even less with bads they remove more life than a miss and recover from almost ded to full life in like 1.5k combo around 50 combo for each miss depends on your cool rate. if you miss the starting point of a LN you receive 2 misses or you SPAM it you will get 1 bad 1 miss and die very very quickly in lr2 and osu you can pretty much spam you way thru a LN wall
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know the specifics, but I knew that LNs were brutal because every time I go back and try to play O2 I think "wtf, how do you lose so much HP on a single LN".
Zoont
I think Jhlee0133 qualifies as ET LN player

Just look at this :

:o
Space-Dandy
what does it mean by
Go in your xK.ini

does this mean I have to go into each separate .ini in my skins folder for the skin I use?. does that mean I have to keep redoing this on 5k and 6k.. ect.
Caput Mortuum

Space-Dandy wrote:

what does it mean by
Go in your xK.ini

does this mean I have to go into each separate .ini in my skins folder for the skin I use?. does that mean I have to keep redoing this on 5k and 6k.. ect.
just the key you want to change.
also, newer skin don't have those. they have it in the skin.ini instead.
-ExSayaKun-
Okay now , ET is a not good solution to gain more pp , it's making developer sad and unhappy
Creamy Waifu
I know what is my problem... I can't focus on the screen and on the keyboard at the same time. It's an irony that i can full combo on other rhythm game's HARDEST DIFFICULTY (like llsif) and i can't even play an easy 4k on osu!mania :| :|
Incendent
I might've missed it, but what are Hands?
Caput Mortuum
3 notes at the same time
[ Scarlet Red ]
This guide seems fairly interesting, however I'd like to give my insight on improving as an osu!mania player.

osu!mania is not an easy gamemode. In fact I'd argue it's got a pretty challenging learning curve, however this learning curve can easily be slimmed given how you practice. Mania has a lot of techniques, such as LNs, SVs, Jacks, streams, and more. Your goal as a mania player is to improve each of these skills over time. The good thing about the community is that they make a lot of practice maps so you can easily get specific practice in whenever you want!

An example of this would be my Galaxy Collapse pass. I couldn't hit the speedjacks to save me life, so I remembered my friend gave me a vibro practice map he made. I played it for a day or two before trying Galaxy Collapse again and I noticed significant improvement to my play!

I ended up passing it.

Also note one important thing: Always push yourself! If you think a play is just out of your reach, keep going for it until you succeed. I do that and it never fails.

One of the most important things to understand

Do NOT get into the habit of pausing! Always play stamina draining maps and do not pause during them. Pausing constantly reduces your stamina and your consistency! It's the worst habit you could get into
ReTLoM
i hope they make the score unranked as soon you press ESC
Larc
helpful :D
Lyart
Hello ! First of all thanks a lot for your guide. I am a beginner and I want to improve at Osu!mania.
I play beatmap around from 2 to 3 stars, (4K) and 1 to 1.5 stars in 6K and 7K and I noticed few things :

I managed to end songs without any miss and still got something around 80% in my score. I guess it's because I don't hit the note perfectly, but I don't really know how to improve.

I got something like ~-25ms; + 30ms every time, sometimes it's -25+40 sometimes it's -50;+30 but the average is around ~-25ms ; +30ms.
I think I have to check my 4k.ini and do something with my HitPosition but I don"t really understand what to do.

Edgar_Figaro
In your options make sure you have your “score meter” setting set to “hit Accuracy”, then watch through some of your replays. Look at the bar at the bottom center. If you are hitting early it’ll be the left of center while if your hitting late it’ll be to the right of center.
Lyart

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

In your options make sure you have your “score meter” setting set to “hit Accuracy”, then watch through some of your replays. Look at the bar at the bottom center. If you are hitting early it’ll be the left of center while if your hitting late it’ll be to the right of center.
Ok I did that, and notice two different things :

First, in beatmaps I am good (~r90%+) I hit around the middle, in equal measure
Then, in beatmaps I am not good (below 90%), I hit more early.

Does that mean something ? Thanks :)
Edgar_Figaro
It’s usually quite common for more challenging maps for a person to rush or hit late patterns they aren’t comfortable with. If on easier maps you are right on average then you don’t need to adjust your offset. For harder songs since you are hitting early try relaxing more. Often hitting early means you are too tense.
show more